Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Question for the STO Vets

nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

So about a week ago, I decide to give STO a whirl.  Considering I got the game for less than a pack of cigarettes and get the first month free, I didn't feel I was taking that huge of a risk.  I cannot stand cash shops, but as I said, as a life long ST fan I was willing to give this a go for the first month for pocket change.

I've reached grade 10 Lt. and I am wondering in roughly a week, and I am wondering if there is anything substantial to this game.  I feel like I have run the same 4 missions countless times.  Any time I have tried to complete my arena missions, the queue never fills up. 

I've felt this way since about grade 5 Lt.  I've been pushing myself through that feeling, trying to catch any glimpse of Star Trek feel (which I have been disappointed about) and telling myself "once you can start getting in new ships, it's going to be more fun."

But is it?  Have I pretty much exerienced the core of the content of the game?  Is it just the same kinds of missions over and over all the way to the cap?  Or is the content kind of doled out slowly over the ranks?  Or is it just the same thing with new ships, abilities, equipment and crew members?

I feel like I've spent 75% of my time in the game so far sitting staring at a ship traveling on its way to nowhere.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am not here to bitch or kick up dust.  I am just trying to figure out if I am a lost cause for this game.  If the old axiom of "if you don't really like it right away, you never will" applies here.  I don't hate it, but its definitely not very "Star Trek" to me and as a game it has been a little on the boring side so far.

But I am totally new and haven't even hit Lt. Commander yet so I am trying to be realistic and give the game the benefit of the doubt.

So let me know vets, have I pretty much had the STO experience by now or is there plenty of new stuff around the corner of higher levels?

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Unfortunately, there are too many "mundane" mission to do in STO left over from what they had at lauch. There ARE good missions that have strong ties/references to TNG and other Star Trek shows. Those are worth continuing on and finding. Also, there are new "Weekly Episodes" series which are about 6 missions each, one release every week, that are probably some of the best Star Trek missions in game. They are currently on the third series of these and every on just gets better as you go. Those are accessable by anyone at or above Rank 11.

Also, coming up is The Foundry. This is a tool that allows user generated content to be put into the game. It is currently in its final beta stages on the test server and should be "live" by the end of this month. Some of the best of that user made content is also available now on the live server for those at or over Rank 11.

Additionally, I would suggest you find an active fleet. They are not only good resources for things in game but can provide a method to get into other aspects like PvP or the "raids" known as STFs.

Anyway, there is a lot there and like most MMO's the best usually starts well after you start the game. Good luck to you.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Gruug

Unfortunately, there are too many "mundane" mission to do in STO left over from what they had at lauch. There ARE good missions that have strong ties/references to TNG and other Star Trek shows. Those are worth continuing on and finding. Also, there are new "Weekly Episodes" series which are about 6 missions each, one release every week, that are probably some of the best Star Trek missions in game. They are currently on the third series of these and every on just gets better as you go. Those are accessable by anyone at or above Rank 11.

Also, coming up is The Foundry. This is a tool that allows user generated content to be put into the game. It is currently in its final beta stages on the test server and should be "live" by the end of this month. Some of the best of that user made content is also available now on the live server for those at or over Rank 11.

Additionally, I would suggest you find an active fleet. They are not only good resources for things in game but can provide a method to get into other aspects like PvP or the "raids" known as STFs.

Anyway, there is a lot there and like most MMO's the best usually starts well after you start the game. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your reply!  Its good to know the episodic (is that even a word?!) content is about to be available.  Here's a question about the episodes: Is only the current one accessable, or can I play all of the priorly released episodes?

The foundry, while great in theory, scares the living hell out of me.  When CoH released the MA system, it killed all normal game operations.  What should have been an amazing opporunity (an MMO revolution really) in gamer creativity and endless content turned out to be a system that got abused for farming and power leveling.  So abused in fact that in one short week I couldn't find anyone to group with except folks on their trial week (since I wasn't looking for farms).  I REALLY hope this doesn't happen to STO.  Although, so far I don't see hardly anyone talking or communicating, but that's probably due to my low level and not having a fleet.

Anyway, I really appreciate your input, and its good to know that at least some content is going to be available to me that isn't now.  You're absolutely right about the launch missions.  They are mostly terrible.  I had some issues with some of them this week.  Upon searching the STO forums I found those issues being brought up in BETA (and they are still in game a year post-release).  So far I what I have experienced mission-wise wouldn't even qualify as a grind.

Any recommomendations about how to find missions worth my time, other than the weekly episodes?

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by nolf

Any recommomendations about how to find missions worth my time, other than the weekly episodes?

I'm no veteran, or even an expert, but my approach leveling my second character was to skip all the "Patrol X Sector Bloc" missions. That's where I found a lot of the bugs, and most of the uninspiring questing, the first time around. That turns out to be a lot of missions, though, so you may have some leveling gaps. Personally, fleet actions were my favorite part of the game, and I did loads of exploration missions to make money, so I wound up okay.

Exploration missions are completely mindless, but they're great for a couple of reasons. If you don't like the kind of mission it gives you (ground combat, for example), you can just leave the system and try again. And whether you keep the crafting mats or sell them, you can trade the exploration merits for tactial or engineering consoles, which you can sell at the enchange, which will keep you pretty flush with cash all the way to level cap.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I highly recommend this site. It has info for STFs, weekly episodes, story missions, diplomatic missions.

http://stoacademy.com/

Just look under the guides and walkthrough sections.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by TheAesthete

I'm no veteran, or even an expert, but my approach leveling my second character was to skip all the "Patrol X Sector Bloc" missions. That's where I found a lot of the bugs, and most of the uninspiring questing, the first time around. That turns out to be a lot of missions, though, so you may have some leveling gaps. Personally, fleet actions were my favorite part of the game, and I did loads of exploration missions to make money, so I wound up okay.

Exploration missions are completely mindless, but they're great for a couple of reasons. If you don't like the kind of mission it gives you (ground combat, for example), you can just leave the system and try again. And whether you keep the crafting mats or sell them, you can trade the exploration merits for tactial or engineering consoles, which you can sell at the enchange, which will keep you pretty flush with cash all the way to level cap.

Thank you VERY much for the input!  I'm going to try this method, because the Patrol Sector Block missions are some of the most repetative mind-numbing quests I've ever come across in an MMO.  I feel like I'm grinding WoW dailies again! *shudder*

Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I highly recommend this site. It has info for STFs, weekly episodes, story missions, diplomatic missions.

I will certainly check that out!  Thanks for the info =)

Another question for the thread:

Can I run prior episode content, or is the current one the only episode available?

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Can I run prior episode content, or is the current one the only episode available?

You can. I did a few of them in a row one weekend. I think and someone correct me if I'm wrong but they give a better reward the first week they come out and then tone down the reward. I'm not certain on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Another is I think if you repeat them you get another special item. Not certain on that either.

I do know you can do them anytime. In my opinion some of the best missions in game. I really like them.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

You can. I did a few of them in a row one weekend. I think and someone correct me if I'm wrong but they give a better reward the first week they come out and then tone down the reward. I'm not certain on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Another is I think if you repeat them you get another special item. Not certain on that either.

I do know you can do them anytime. In my opinion some of the best missions in game. I really like them.

Awesome!  Thanks for the intel!  I expect this will go a long way towards that "Star Treky" feel I have not been able to find.

I really appreciate the help!

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Sevenwind  I think and someone correct me if I'm wrong but they give a better reward the first week they come out and then tone down the reward. I'm not certain on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.

My understanding (and again, I would never try to positon myself as an expert on this game) is that some episodic content gave out special rewards to peole who had beta tested it on the test server. Otherwise, there are a few quests that give unique items as rewards (like the Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo), which are one choice among many, so if you choose the wrong thing you lose out. But none of them are game-breaking, and opinions vary as to their usefulness anyway.  Most of the unique items are fluff/ flavor.

As to doing the weekly episodes all at once. . .  the weekly episodes are serilized, so week 1 leads into week 2, leads into week 3. If, hypothetically speaking, there are five serials consisting of five missions each, you can do the serails any time you want, but you have to do the missions in order. If that makes sense.

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Originally posted by Sevenwind  I think and someone correct me if I'm wrong but they give a better reward the first week they come out and then tone down the reward. I'm not certain on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.

My understanding (and again, I would never try to positon myself as an expert on this game) is that some episodic content gave out special rewards to peole who had beta tested it on the test server. Otherwise, there are a few quests that give unique items as rewards (like the Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo), which are one choice among many, so if you choose the wrong thing you lose out. But none of them are game-breaking, and opinions vary as to their usefulness anyway.  Most of the unique items are fluff/ flavor.

As to doing the weekly episodes all at once. . .  the weekly episodes are serilized, so week 1 leads into week 2, leads into week 3. If, hypothetically speaking, there are five serials consisting of five missions each, you can do the serails any time you want, but you have to do the missions in order. If that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, now I just have to drag myself through Lt. 10!  Thanks!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

You're absolutely right about the launch missions.  They are mostly terrible.  I had some issues with some of them this week.  Upon searching the STO forums I found those issues being brought up in BETA (and they are still in game a year post-release).  

Welcome to STO, i was a beta tester and was there for head start and launch and they never fixed fundamental bugs in the games. I returned 5 months later only to find ALL of the content was end game and everything in between to get there were dailies and exploratory missions and nothing more. If they continue at the same slow speed they will pretty much crash having only a few of the fanbois left floating around in their klingon ships killing everything in site before their servers are shut down

they seriously needed to make this game free to play a LONG time ago like right after launch because they definitely are not using the money from subs wisely to continue or putting out enough mid level content to level like a proper mmo should.

Originally posted by itgrowls

You're absolutely right about the launch missions.  They are mostly terrible.  I had some issues with some of them this week.  Upon searching the STO forums I found those issues being brought up in BETA (and they are still in game a year post-release).  

Welcome to STO, i was a beta tester and was there for head start and launch and they never fixed fundamental bugs in the games. I returned 5 months later only to find ALL of the content was end game and everything in between to get there were dailies and exploratory missions and nothing more. If they continue at the same slow speed they will pretty much crash having only a few of the fanbois left floating around in their klingon ships killing everything in site before their servers are shut down

they seriously needed to make this game free to play a LONG time ago like right after launch because they definitely are not using the money from subs wisely to continue or putting out enough mid level content to level like a proper mmo should.

It's a shame.  Theoretically this game could be GREAT.  Even lacking what all the folks who are MMO gamers AND ST fans wanted (lack of ship interior exploration/no player crews/no sandbox/no serious RP functionality/etc).  Even the current incarnation could be GREAT if it were handled properly.  But the first 10 levels so far have been an exercise in serious mediocrity.  I haven't passed judgement on this game YET, as this thread shows I have yet to experience the best of what this game offers.  But so far, I remain underwhelmed.

I feel like I am playing City of Heros in space.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Sto is on action there is no mmo rpg in it.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by itgrowls

There not going to make it f2p. There is two many non main stream mmo players playing it. I have learned one thing from my sto and co Exp Cyptic would sell there own grandmonther if it would make them money.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by saya1965

Sto is on action there is no mmo rpg in it.

first, it is an mmo, by definition it is massive multiplayer

second it is an rpg it's not fantasy but it is an rpg, you can play three roles, you can chat emote and connect with people in another country if you wish, and the npc's you interact with do have basic voice overs.

action games would be duke nukem LOL