Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AC: Resurrection? Oh yes... this is interesting.

2»

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

AC2 defined most of the MMG's you play today; it was the first large switch to the format you see now as opposed to UO and EQ. It also introduced the GUI you now use in just about all MMG games.

Many people don’t seem to realize what turbine has created in this genre, or how they defined it, even if AC2 did not live long, it became the template for things for years to come. Turbine has been here from day one, inovating and defining games for over a decade now. Turbine has been here from day one, innovating and defining games for over a decade now.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

AC2 defined most of the MMG's you play today; it was the first large switch to the format you see now as opposed to UO and EQ. It also introduced the GUI you now use in just about all MMG games.

Many people don’t seem to realize what turbine has created in this genre, or how they defined it, even if AC2 did not live long, it became the template for things for years to come. Turbine has been here from day one, inovating and defining games for over a decade now.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

I think Turbine was somewhat right with AC2. AC1 is too complicated to be a big hit. WoW has shown that the majority of gamers don't want a convoluted game like AC1. AC2 kept the lore of AC1 but simplified and modernized almost everything else.

There are many basic things in AC1 that need to be fixed besides the graphics:

- The game map in AC1 is worthless, AC2's game map was very handy. The AC2 map could caculate routes, had a zoom, and had all dungeons and other important places listed on it.

- Their is very little quest guidance in AC1. Quest tracking is also poorly implemented in AC1. AC2 had much better quest guidance and tracking.

- AC1 lacks an auction house. AC2 had NPCs were players could sell their items to other players.

- AC2 had mounts, AC1 does not.

- The death penalty in AC1 is a bit harsh. A vitae penalty is OK, but I don't like losing items. AC2 did away with item loss.

AC2 did lack some things though:

- AC2 didn't have housing. My guess is they planned to add it in an expansion.

- The skill tree system in AC2 was a bit lame. The AC1 skill system isn't perfect and could be improved, but the basic idea is good: anyone can train anything.

AC1 was and still is one of the funniest games ever made. AC2 was boring.

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

I think Turbine was somewhat right with AC2. AC1 is too complicated to be a big hit. WoW has shown that the majority of gamers don't want a convoluted game like AC1. AC2 kept the lore of AC1 but simplified and modernized almost everything else.

- The game map in AC1 is worthless, AC2's game map was very handy. The AC2 map could caculate routes, had a zoom, and had all dungeons and other important places listed on it.

- Their is very little quest guidance in AC1. Quest tracking is also poorly implemented in AC1. AC2 had much better quest guidance and tracking.

- AC1 lacks an auction house. AC2 had NPCs were players could sell their items to other players.

- The death penalty in AC1 is a bit harsh. A vitae penalty is OK, but I don't like losing items. AC2 did away with item loss.

Sorry Jaguar, got to disagree on most of this. AC1 was and is one of the very few games that really set itself above the mainstream of basically identical games.

The skill over class system was simple to understand but difficult to master - a very big plus for those looking to gain those last percent of advantage in PvP, but easy for someone to set up for their first axe swinger with access to a bit of item magic.

The map and overall landspace was incredible - the open nature, varied landscapes and complete freedom made it so much more realistic IMO, as well as challenging players to find or research routes.

An auction house wasn't needed as there everyone had easy access to "The Hub", where at any time of day there were between 20 and 200 people looking to trade, chat, find new friends or just stop off for a while before journeying on. The player run economy was incredible.

The quests were challenging because they weren't guided. You had to explore, research and ask questions to succeed - unlike today's games which are as challenging as taking the rubbish out - literally in some cases. No challenge = no sense of achievement - what is then the point.

Mounts are unnecessary - add a few points into run skill, or research the best portal route to get to your destination. Half the fun of a journey was having to navigate new terrain or dangerous creatures to reach a portal you needed to access - it made it feel very real.

A proper death penalty is essential I feel to make a game challenging. A repair bill does not put someone off charging in anywhere, but if you might actually lose that nice sword your friend gave you, you think twice about doing stupid stuff. As someone once said "where is the joy of success, if failure has no penalty?"

I never played  AC 2, but AC 1 has yet to be surpassed in my eyes. The variety, degree of control, open exploration and friendly community made this easily the best MMO I;ve ever played. I would love to get back into it if I could get past the router problems!

Most games now giftwrap their rewards and ensure that if you're capable of hitting the right key on the keyboard, you'll breeze through them. AC 1 challenged it's players, made them work a bit for their rewards and gave them a sense of achievement when they succeeded. Long life to it!

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by maxtlion

Sorry Jaguar, got to disagree on most of this. AC1 was and is one of the very few games that really set itself above the mainstream of basically identical games.

The skill over class system was simple to understand but difficult to master - a very big plus for those looking to gain those last percent of advantage in PvP, but easy for someone to set up for their first axe swinger with access to a bit of item magic.

- I never said I wanted the skill system changed. I like the skill system too.

The map and overall landspace was incredible - the open nature, varied landscapes and complete freedom made it so much more realistic IMO, as well as challenging players to find or research routes.

- I like the openess of the world. I don't awnt to see that changed. However, a better map is necessarry unless they simplify routes. The majority of players right now resort to third party apps or sites to find their way.

An auction house wasn't needed as there everyone had easy access to "The Hub", where at any time of day there were between 20 and 200 people looking to trade, chat, find new friends or just stop off for a while before journeying on. The player run economy was incredible.

- I don't neccesarily want an auction house. I want to see some kind of system in game for automatically selling items. Right now people have to run trade bots.

The quests were challenging because they weren't guided. You had to explore, research and ask questions to succeed - unlike today's games which are as challenging as taking the rubbish out - literally in some cases. No challenge = no sense of achievement - what is then the point.

- Again most people are resorting to quest guides or having someone lead them through it. I say just cut out the third parties. The problem I keep noticing is that you and many AC players like the illusion that they are playing the game without help though most really aren't.

Mounts are unnecessary - add a few points into run skill, or research the best portal route to get to your destination. Half the fun of a journey was having to navigate new terrain or dangerous creatures to reach a portal you needed to access - it made it feel very real.

- I don't particualrly care about mounts, but I recall when the devs used to have chats, people would always ask for mounts (and houses and capes).

A proper death penalty is essential I feel to make a game challenging. A repair bill does not put someone off charging in anywhere, but if you might actually lose that nice sword your friend gave you, you think twice about doing stupid stuff. As someone once said "where is the joy of success, if failure has no penalty?"

- There is a market for harsh death penalty just as there is a market for AC as it is exactly right now. How big is that market though?

I never played  AC 2, but AC 1 has yet to be surpassed in my eyes. The variety, degree of control, open exploration and friendly community made this easily the best MMO I;ve ever played. I would love to get back into it if I could get past the router problems!

- AC2 had a lot of problems, but like I said some of the ideas were right. Not right for AC1 fans, but right if you want to appeal to a different, seeminly larger market.

Most games now giftwrap their rewards and ensure that if you're capable of hitting the right key on the keyboard, you'll breeze through them. AC 1 challenged it's players, made them work a bit for their rewards and gave them a sense of achievement when they succeeded. Long life to it!

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Jaguar constantly talks about how he likes AC but wants it to be made into a completely different game. He also confuses how he plays with thinking that must be how everyone plays. Since he uses every quest walk through then clearly the game should just tell players where to go and what to do. Since he doesn't like having a death penalty then clearly the game shouldn't have one. Since he likes mounts clearly the game should have them (despite the fact in AC you run faster then people on mounts in other games move).

Jaguar wants to be playing something called "Asheron's Call", he just doesn't want to play Asheron's Call.

He tried to post his amazing thoughts on how the game should be changed on the official forums, everyone posted how his ideas were terrible for the game. So he switched to posting here where less people post so he wouldn't get shot down as much. It got old so I stopped pointing out all the flaws in his posts for a while, but good to see he's still out there.

AC will never be the game you want to play Jaguar. Your tastes have changed over the years and AC still holds true to many of its origins. You need to accept that instead of thinking the game should change everything about itself just so that you can find it new and interesting again. Everything you say you want is in other games, so just go play them. The mounts, no death penalty, hold your hand easy mode games exist. Go try any one of them.

• Lonecrow66Lonecrow66 Member Posts: 31

At the MAXIMUM you'll see maybe a total of about 1000 players online at any one time.  A lot are bots or second accounts.  Realistically there are about 2000 paying accounts left.   Thats 30k a month.

360k a year this game will earn.  If they are lucky.  Numbers were in the millions before.  The number is dwindling more than gaining. 

It is only a matter of time before they are forced to do something and "invest" some money into a team to bring people back.  IE - Brand new graphical upgrade  with the same system.

Now that LOTRO has been completely abandoned they will need to look to new shores.  The free to play aspect of the game is basically t hem waving the white flag begging people to come to them. 

If they were dumb they'd make AC free to play similarly.  But I doubt they could pull that coding off if they wanted to,  they can't even merge their servers. 

Reloading a franchise like AC might actually gain interest and bring back a LOT of nostalgia based people and a massive cash influx...   If they do it right. 

Ask 10 previous AC players if they'd come back to a brand new AC3 and abandon wow or whatever else I bet you'd get a good 50-60% of them saying yes. 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

- The skill tree system in AC2 was a bit lame. The AC1 skill system isn't perfect and could be improved, but the basic idea is good: anyone can train anything

Omg are you nuts AC 1 didnt need mounts we could portal every where and we ran fast.!!

Far as quest omg again I loved the questing Zero hand helding those that loved  AC1, thats what we loved about the quests zero hand holding questing had a meaning it was about lore... Not that easy mode crap people call quests today!!

If they changed those 2 things about AC1 they whould destory the best concept about the game the questing!!

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Jaguar constantly talks about how he likes AC but wants it to be made into a completely different game. He also confuses how he plays with thinking that must be how everyone plays. Since he uses every quest walk through then clearly the game should just tell players where to go and what to do. Since he doesn't like having a death penalty then clearly the game shouldn't have one. Since he likes mounts clearly the game should have them (despite the fact in AC you run faster then people on mounts in other games move).

Jaguar wants to be playing something called "Asheron's Call", he just doesn't want to play Asheron's Call.

He tried to post his amazing thoughts on how the game should be changed on the official forums, everyone posted how his ideas were terrible for the game. So he switched to posting here where less people post so he wouldn't get shot down as much. It got old so I stopped pointing out all the flaws in his posts for a while, but good to see he's still out there.

AC will never be the game you want to play Jaguar. Your tastes have changed over the years and AC still holds true to many of its origins. You need to accept that instead of thinking the game should change everything about itself just so that you can find it new and interesting again. Everything you say you want is in other games, so just go play them. The mounts, no death penalty, hold your hand easy mode games exist. Go try any one of them.

amen and agreed people make me laugh, sounds like he wants to ruin AC or not play AC.1 those that loved AC the things he doesnt like is what we all liked ..

I still love AC 1 the way  it is and wish they would bring it back up to par to bad its out dated but in its prime , I played it  for 7yrs! and still yet to find a game I love like AC , teh questing was awesome period.. and everything he said he wanted changed is what made AC1 fun, he is crazy, he needs to stop needing his hand held people today have no concept what AC 1 was about.

I just read people needed 3rd party stuff to get around!! Ya the people who where lazy I ran quests the day they came out, the game had corrds you didnt need a damn map give me  a break!

Sounds like he wants WOW...i,m sorry I had to say it.,.. this game is about

NO hand holding!~!

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

- The skill tree system in AC2 was a bit lame. The AC1 skill system isn't perfect and could be improved, but the basic idea is good: anyone can train anything

Omg are you nuts AC 1 didnt need mounts we could portal every where and we ran fast.!!

Far as quest omg again I loved the questing Zero hand helding those that loved  AC1, thats what we loved about the quests zero hand holding questing had a meaning it was about lore... Not that easy mode crap people call quests today!!

If they changed those 2 things about AC1 they whould destory the best concept about the game the questing!!

Sadly though if they did not improve the questing (remove the zero hand holding) and without a fair amount of more modern improvements. AC1 recreated would never stand on its own as it is today with nothing more then a graphics update. The gaming population / genre has changed greatly from what it was when AC1 released.  As us old people say "Times have changed son and its time to adapt."

I hate instant gratification games and games that do nothing but hold your hand. But I have also accepted that I am in such a small minority of the MMO population that its just not acceptable to make games for us (atleast not profitable games). 

The time and amount of money it would take to recreate AC1 with new graphics alone would not warrent doing it with just the current subscriptions or even with double or triple the current subscriptions.  They would need to pull into 250k+ subscriptions in order to justify the cost and time needed to make this happen. And I can grantee that in todays market and with doing nothing more then updating the graphics it wouldn't pull in a fraction of them numbers. (This coming from someone that loved AC1 back in the day)

amen and agreed people make me laugh, sounds like he wants to ruin AC or not play AC.1 those that loved AC the things he doesnt like is what we all liked ..

I still love AC 1 the way  it is and wish they would bring it back up to par to bad its out dated but in its prime , I played it  for 7yrs! and still yet to find a game I love like AC , teh questing was awesome period.. and everything he said he wanted changed is what made AC1 fun, he is crazy, he needs to stop needing his hand held people today have no concept what AC 1 was about.

NO hand holding!~!

You should come back sometime soon. The amount of work they've put into AC over the past year is insane, all included in the free monthly content updates of course.

• New skill Gearcrafting

• New combat skill two handed

• Improved a lot of skills that weren't used much

• Added trinkets

• Added Aetheria

• Improved the societies added at the end of the previous year

• There is a new top tier of loot

• New races

• updated the xp on over 100 quests

• added a facility hub to help direct new players up to ~ level 45

• added a town network which is a new portal network to most of the towns

• Updated the landscape textures significantly

• Improved a couple of animations

• Added tailoring (put the look of one piece of armor onto another, allows people to make cool looking matching suits)

• Added a barber shop - change your characters hair/face

• Updated the rares and the chance of them dropping

• Added a rare exchanger

• Adding even more new races still

• Mentioned a new school of magic called Void Magic (haven' t released details yet)

• Are going to update all of the creature xp amounts

• Mentioned working on adding Olthoi as a playable PvP only race (kind of like monster play but they can travel all over the world instead of just one zone)

Those were all just off the top of my head so there is even more then that. But they really are putting a lot of work and improvements into AC these days and it is a blast. There is a big november update which they are slowly releasing information on that should be interesting to see everything that will change/be added.

Good times in AC land right now.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Turbine should rework AC2 and than re-release it.   I miss Tumeroks!  <3

Tumeroks are one of the playable races coming up (they're NPCs and mobs in AC currently).

So far we've gotten:

• Shadows

• Gearknights

Coming soon are:

• Empyreans

• Tumeroks

• Lugians

• Undead

And they've said we're likely to get one of the new ones in September's patch.

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Sadly though if they did not improve the questing (remove the zero hand holding) and without a fair amount of more modern improvements. AC1 recreated would never stand on its own as it is today with nothing more then a graphics update. The gaming population / genre has changed greatly from what it was when AC1 released.  As us old people say "Times have changed son and its time to adapt."

I hate instant gratification games and games that do nothing but hold your hand. But I have also accepted that I am in such a small minority of the MMO population that its just not acceptable to make games for us (atleast not profitable games). 

The time and amount of money it would take to recreate AC1 with new graphics alone would not warrent doing it with just the current subscriptions or even with double or triple the current subscriptions.  They would need to pull into 250k+ subscriptions in order to justify the cost and time needed to make this happen. And I can grantee that in todays market and with doing nothing more then updating the graphics it wouldn't pull in a fraction of them numbers. (This coming from someone that loved AC1 back in the day)

No one said just a graphics update would be enough.. They are already doing this... This was my point that it would not be enough sorry I mis wrote ...  

But far as hand holding I will have to disagree, they are still making games like this ...Yes they will not roll in the subs like WOW, but who cares, i,m sorry I,m sick of the hand holding  quests zzzzzzzzz...

I like ac style questing the way it was, and it would be fine for a mid size community today if the game was keep update..

Todays games fail because it takes no skill to quest and the boring raids, AC gave it skilled base to quest and lore learned by doing quest was worth doing.. and everyone got a reward there was no fighting about who got what etc..

Todays games people whine about who got what and people play favorites etc.. In AC this was not the case.. I,ms orry I disagree if more people seen this they would like it , as most of them did in AC...

games today are failing because of the easy mode hand holding quests this is a fact, I have seen a few games bring back the old game feel..   Once some of these younger gamers get used to it they will love it, they need to get out of the WOW mode.. and Trust me they will if games keep doing this...

AC questing and always will be my favorite.. Questing today makes me PUKE!

NO hand holding!~!

You should come back sometime soon. The amount of work they've put into AC over the past year is insane, all included in the free monthly content updates of course.

• New skill Gearcrafting

• Added trinkets

• Added Aetheria

• New races

• Added tailoring (put the look of one piece of armor onto another, allows people to make cool looking matching suits)

• Added a rare exchanger

• Mentioned a new school of magic called Void Magic (haven' t released details yet)

• Mentioned working on adding Olthoi as a playable PvP only race (kind of like monster play but they can travel all over the world instead of just one zone)

Those were all just off the top of my head so there is even more then that. But they really are putting a lot of work and improvements into AC these days and it is a blast. There is a big november update which they are slowly releasing information on that should be interesting to see everything that will change/be added.

I plan to once they upgrade the graphics so I can play everything at once... I have 6 level 275's 2 on DT, 3 on WE, and 1 on FF.

NO hand holding!~!

• New skill Gearcrafting

• Added trinkets

• Added Aetheria

• New races

• Added a rare exchanger

I plan to once they upgrade the graphics so I can play everything at once... I have 6 level 275's 2 on DT, 3 on WE, and 1 on FF.

You're going to be waiting a while then. They are currently updating some textures/models over time while adding content but not at the speed where all of the graphics will be updated anytime soon. There are no current plans that they've released to make a new engine for it either.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

lololol this is hiarious. I missed this one.

I like certain things about AC. The open world, the loot, the skill system, the characters, and the combat somewhat. Those are the core features of AC to me. You never see me say, "I want a skill tree or standardized loot."

AC to me is NOT being completely lost on quests and being highly reliant on third party sites and applications. This is where you are in the minority. The majority of players are using the Wiki and/or Decal.

I post here because I'm not subscribed to AC 365 days a year. When I do post on the official forums sometimes, you're right, a lot of people like you are against any change and think the game should remain convoluted. However, I'm not alone as you imply. I frequently see new players and returning players mirroring some of my thoughts. For example, just a few days ago someone new suggested a better quest journal and better quest tracking.

You are highly biased and against any changes that aren't proposed or made by the development team. A perfect example are the recent portal changes. The AC team simplified the portal system, which is similar to my suggestions of simplfying the game. You hailed this change as excellent. If I or someone else had suggested drastically changing and simplfying the portal system you would have replied with your tired "this isn't WoW" argument.

I know I will have the last laugh one day if AC3  ever comes out. As another poster pointed out, times change, AC in it's current form is an extremely niche game. Turbine is not going to spend millions developing a game for a small adiance. AC3 will be more similar to my visions (i.e. easy mode) than yours.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

"AC3 will be more similar to my visions (i.e. easy mode) than yours."

thats easy defined here eh, "for the thick and lazy" ..... AC is a one in a million, it should stay that way.. if its earning thats great and the years its been about is a test to its solidity.. Maybe when all the new kids on the block wake up a bit and start wanting to bother using ones brain and get over "easy mode" as you put it, there will be a up to date graphical version of AC..

Otherwise stick to ur raid repeat shit eh :P