Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those people who are misunderstanding Tera and Korean mmo

2»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Ok, I'm going to play Tera in an EU server when it comes out, but I wonder ...

I wonder how big the population of those panda looking bears will be. Also I wonder how big the population of those fox like teenage-things will be either. I'm pretty sure there will be enough people playing the massive race and also enough people that like to play the ugly race. And if the majority is not players of the three beautiful races with the women with oversized mellons, there must be something really wrong with the world.

Anyone out of curiosity made a poll about those things?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Which is the ugly race?

Baraka

http://www.tera-online.com/node/79

Well, I suppose Amani are no beauties, but their main characteristic is their massiveness, both males and females.

http://www.tera-online.com/node/78

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

isnt this the game that is using part of the code of lineage 3 code ,and those guys left with the code when they were working on lineage 3?i ll pass ty!

That issue was resolved ages ago in courts. But yes, that's how they started, as former NCsoft employees.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by sonoggi

Originally posted by Somnicide

Originally posted by sonoggi

no1 is misunderstanding tera and korean mmo's. they just suck. gw2 will run tera into the ground, if it doesnt do it on its own.

Absolutely nothing in GW2 is proven. I'm as excited for GW2 as the next person but lets be honest here... It's entirely hype and nothing else. Most of the stuff we know is vague and sounds good on paper, but might be awful in practice. Hell, we dont even know all of the classes in the game.

But hey, blind fanboys will be blind.

im not a fanboy at all. i just know a good product when i see it. gw2 is pretty much the antithesis of current mmo's in many ways, as was proven by many many demos. every mechanic in the game is new and refreshing so far.

I'm sure the people hyped for AoC and WAR felt the same way.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

It sounds as if what they are really building is Lineage 3 without the grind that L2 had.

If so, I'll be playing it because I always wanted to get to the keep wars that I enjoyed in Lineage 1, however in 2 I just couldn't grind up enough to have a chance in the big leagues.

But I would like to know what makes it different from Lineage 2 or WOW or whatever,the features that really set it apart.

And no, fun and polished gameplay isn't the answer I'm looking for, give some features and what not if you have them that really set the game apart from all the rest.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by Kyleran

It sounds as if what they are really building is Lineage 3 without the grind that L2 had.

If so, I'll be playing it because I always wanted to get to the keep wars that I enjoyed in Lineage 1, however in 2 I just couldn't grind up enough to have a chance in the big leagues.

But I would like to know what makes it different from Lineage 2 or WOW or whatever,the features that really set it apart.

And no, fun and polished gameplay isn't the answer I'm looking for, give some features and what not if you have them that really set the game apart from all the rest.

First of i would like you to know that i have played the korean open beta for a week and reached level 33 with my castanic warrior.So here is what i know so far:

1.The combat is completely different than any game ive played before.People that are comparing it with DCUO are completely wrong.There is more tactic involved in Tera's combat system,not just fast paces combo button smashing that turned me off DCUO in the first place.You get the feeling that you can actually control every move that you character makes.

2.Endgame.Its not like every typical mmo that has raid farming till you burn out.Other than endgame 5man dungeons,it has a political system which will be playing a crucial part to overall gaming experience(it hasn't been implemented yet in the korean version afaik).There has been word from the devs that they are adding teritory control too,that will boost open world pvp and make pvp have a meaning instead of mindless instanced pvp farming(i will add a link the moment i find that post again).

3.In order to reach high levels it is encouraged(faster) to group up and complete the main story and elite quests.You can always level up on your own,but it will take a lot longer and you wont be able to solo all the main story quests.

4.Crafting that matters,at least till level 35 since i haven't checked the further level recipes.Every blue item you craft is better than any blue drop or blue quest reward.And it required almost no grind at all to get those items crafted.

5.Did i mention boss fights?Its been like nothing ive seen before.There are times that you will get that epic feeling that you actually played good and defeated a boss.Their abilities felt completely unique to me.For once a boss raised his hand and since i failed to dodge, he knocked me over to the other side of the room.Ive also heared that at later encounters you can actually climb up on the huge boss's back and try to hit his weak spots from there.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

<> Wrong post, sry. Long day -.-

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Originally posted by skoupidi

First of i would like you to know that i have played the korean open beta for a week and reached level 33 with my castanic warrior.So here is what i know so far:

1.The combat is completely different than any game ive played before.People that are comparing it with DCUO are completely wrong.There is more tactic involved in Tera's combat system,not just fast paces combo button smashing that turned me off DCUO in the first place.You get the feeling that you can actually control every move that you character makes.

2.Endgame.Its not like every typical mmo that has raid farming till you burn out.Other than endgame 5man dungeons,it has a political system which will be playing a crucial part to overall gaming experience(it hasn't been implemented yet in the korean version afaik).There has been word from the devs that they are adding teritory control too,that will boost open world pvp and make pvp have a meaning instead of mindless instanced pvp farming(i will add a link the moment i find that post again).

3.In order to reach high levels it is encouraged(faster) to group up and complete the main story and elite quests.You can always level up on your own,but it will take a lot longer and you wont be able to solo all the main story quests.

4.Crafting that matters,at least till level 35 since i haven't checked the further level recipes.Every blue item you craft is better than any blue drop or blue quest reward.And it required almost no grind at all to get those items crafted.

5.Did i mention boss fights?Its been like nothing ive seen before.There are times that you will get that epic feeling that you actually played good and defeated a boss.Their abilities felt completely unique to me.For once a boss raised his hand and since i failed to dodge, he knocked me over to the other side of the room.Ive also heared that at later encounters you can actually climb up on the huge boss's back and try to hit his weak spots from there.

Thanks for the info, this sounds very good. :)

I hope 'the localization' won't mess it up to yet another hand-holding quest grind.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game doesn't sound much like a title I'd be interested in, after reading the OP. That doesn't mean it's a bad game or that it won't attract a lot of players, but it seems to have too many of the things I hate about many Asian MMORPGs.

Incentives for grouping? Yes. Forced grouping, nope, don't like it. Healers require an off tank to guard them, just to be able to heal? Nope, not interested.

I'll probably still give a Western Beta a shot, but I'm a little sad that a game that interested me so much visually just doesn't sound like a title I'm likely to play. Good for those who like forced grouping that requires everyone to be on their game to avoid failure though. Me? I don't need that level of stress! :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by skoupidi

That's some very interesting information about the game.  I'm really looking forward to trying this one.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by drbaltazar

isnt this the game that is using part of the code of lineage 3 code ,and those guys left with the code when they were working on lineage 3?i ll pass ty!

No its not. Linege 3 is not even close to coming out. Where did you get this bogus information? At any rate sorry that you will miss a good game due to misinformation.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Lathander81

No its not. Linege 3 is not even close to coming out. Where did you get this bogus information? At any rate sorry that you will miss a good game due to misinformation.

I've actually heard this in a few places, that much of the TERA team is people who were supposed to be working on Lineage 3?  A game that isn't going to come out now because that crew jumped ship from NCSoft and made TERA instead?

I don't know how true it is, and no idea where to look up where studios come from, but that's how lots of game companies get made...

Arenanet started off with all ex-Blizzard people, for example.  You're working on a game, and you decide you don't like the company and you'll go make a new one...

(This doesn't mean they used Lineage 3 code, exactly, just... all the LIneage 3 making experience got taken over with them)  I'm not going to google search, but I'll tag this one as 'plausible'.  There's nothing strange or unusual about people quitting one game company and opening a new one and making the same kind of game.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I've actually heard this in a few places, that much of the TERA team is people who were supposed to be working on Lineage 3?  A game that isn't going to come out now because that crew jumped ship from NCSoft and made TERA instead?

I don't know how true it is, and no idea where to look up where studios come from, but that's how lots of game companies get made...

Arenanet started off with all ex-Blizzard people, for example.  You're working on a game, and you decide you don't like the company and you'll go make a new one...

(This doesn't mean they used Lineage 3 code, exactly, just... all the LIneage 3 making experience got taken over with them)  I'm not going to google search, but I'll tag this one as 'plausible'.  There's nothing strange or unusual about people quitting one game company and opening a new one and making the same kind of game.

NCsoft is not making TERA. There are some people that used to work at NCsoft working on TERA. Its highly unlikely that NCsoft (if they are even making a Linege 3 ) would let them use code and not try to sue. I think we would have heard about that.

NCsoft is not making TERA. There are some people that used to work at NCsoft working on TERA. Its highly unlikely that NCsoft (if they are even making a Linege 3 ) would let them use code and not try to sue. I think we would have heard about that.

The first two lines are exactly what I said.  I said people who LEFT NCSoft.

Also, NCSoft sued Bluehole (The people who made TERA) and they got 2 billion won in their settlement.

So apparently the Korean courts agree with my information, even if you don't. ;)

The first two lines are exactly what I said.  I said people who LEFT NCSoft.

Also, NCSoft sued Bluehole (The people who made TERA) and they got 2 billion won in their settlement.

So apparently the Korean courts agree with my information, even if you don't. ;)

I stand corrected. I should research before posting.

It's okay, we all make mistakes!  I know I sure do.

It's not really a slam against TERA to say it's based off of bits of Lineage 3 code... I can kind of understand where they were coming from, even if what they did was illegal.

I mean, they did all this work, Lineage 3 gets cancelled, they want to make a cool game...

Really, 2 billion won is just a slap on the wrist, anyway.  Probably why NCSoft was pretty unhappy with that settlement and wanted more. :D

It's not really a slam against TERA to say it's based off of bits of Lineage 3 code... I can kind of understand where they were coming from, even if what they did was illegal.

I mean, they did all this work, Lineage 3 gets cancelled, they want to make a cool game...

Really, 2 billion won is just a slap on the wrist, anyway.  Probably why NCSoft was pretty unhappy with that settlement and wanted more. :D

Yea it looks like the guys went to jail as well. So I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying the game.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

The fine was imposed for the leaking of, and the attempt to sell company secrets. It was not for utilizing the Lineage 3 code in their new project (Tera).

"However the court didn’t find an evidence that some of defendants actually used the Lineage 3 data they stored on a hard drive disk when leaving the company, for a new game in a studio they started."

http://www.thisisgame.com/go/?p=143

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by fiontar

Incentives for grouping? Yes. Forced grouping, nope, don't like it. Healers require an off tank to guard them, just to be able to heal? Nope, not interested.

Healers require an off tank to guard them,just to be able to heal?

That's completely wrong.They just need to be aware all the time to avoid attacks from bosses or mobs like any class in this game.You wont see a single guy acomplishing anything in this game,if he just stands afk spamming his skills.

• tub0rgtub0rg Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by artworks

and i dont think pvp is that much of importance in the game when the most important thing is massive guild wars. currently pvp is imba.  classes like mystic and lancer are quite op in pvp. as a priest i dont enjoy pvp much cuz priests are bad at pvp curently. however as level goes higher (they already released plans for level 60) and as the pvp size gets larger i think that the priest will be the most imporant in the pvp. 

anymore questions ask meh

[mod edit]

Just to keep it real. Massive guild wars is pvp. If you fight another human player that’s pvp. No matter, where, in what context or how. Duels in wow are pvp. It means player versus player, it doesn’t matter if its racial combat or guild combat or server combat.

I am pretty sure though that you are right and this game is heavy pvp oriented, and they just market it as both pve and pvp oriented to sell more copies,  just like aion, which had no pve content and don’t dare pretend it had.

I really hope im wrong though.