Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The first Korean MMO to not fail

Comments

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I'm somewhat interesting in the game,  though the combat videos I've seen make the combat look much slower than I'd like for a game supposedly skill based.   Lots of running around to position and bottlenecks on energy.  I like faster paced combat, not just the appearance of fast paced combat because you can move around and dodge attacks.  Sometimes that can be fun when its tactical,  but when you're doing this at every mob you come across, using the same tactics,  it gets less and less appealing.

Kinda like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvw2FY6wFHo .   Seem's the combat speed scales fast to me depending on the class and level I guess.   Anyway I find Tab-targeting games to be less appealing to me now days....meh to each his own I guess.

Granted Tera should never be compared to LoTR when it comes to emersion by art design.  They are clearly different styles and should be viewed as such because no amount of westernization is going to change that fact.

Very good player there.

Here is another video with the slowest classs in the game imo, Zerker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGBvrgkW4g&feature=related he uses the block skill very very well, even that class i dont find it that slow, of course you dont mash buttons like in others MMO's ... but thats the point in this game.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

I WANT THIS GAME OUT NOW =(

Should've learned Japanese and Korean.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Check out this Taiwannese player on a lvl30 slayer soloing a lvl28 elite spider @ 15min mark (afk near a campfire for the first 14 min's, and it's a Elin char -_- but still good) : http://www.justin.tv/naup/b/279319665

Duel with a warrior at the 28 min mark. And a dungeon run at the 47 min mark.

Notice the exp & drop rate^^

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by stayontarget

Check out this Taiwannese player on a lvl30 slayer soloing a lvl28 elite spider @ 15min mark (afk near a campfire for the first 14 min's, and it's a Elin char -_- but still good) : http://www.justin.tv/naup/b/279319665

Duel with a warrior at the 28 min mark. And a dungeon run at the 47 min mark.

Notice the exp & drop rate^^

The 47 min area isnt a dungeon.There are some elite quests in those mines,but there are a lot of soloable quests too.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Lienhart

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmo-rpg-reviews/594-tera-online-review?start=1

I really do not know whether or not this was paid advertisement but from what I have seen so far these are reasons why I love what I hear.

#1. It has Korean art. North American art is bad, period. With the exception of Blood Elves from World of Warcraft, every other American MMO is ugly. Maybe Witch Elves from Warhammer are okay, but why do

a. Humans all look like they are on roids?

b. Female characters look flat?

c. Bikini plate non existant?

TERA brings all of that, just like every other Korean MMO.

#2. Western quest mechanics. Alright, as you all know, Aion was an utter failure (well, at least in most of our eyes). Gold was constantly needed and the grind became stupid. What this guy has stated is that you never run out of quests. Grinding and questing are no different, but most of us prefer questing. He also mentioned that gold was not a problem for purchasing skills based on your level! THAT IS AMAZING! We have that in Western games, but it was never in Eastern games and the reason why they failed so hard here.

#3. Skill > Button mashing. I am completely sick of World of Warcraft and it's clones involving tab 2348612398123 tab 23876123129 tab 123786123912. What I'd love to see more is SRK+HP FADC -> Ultra. Executing that basic cancel using Ryu requires that you time and/or counter your opponents attack: watch the videos. This game WILL require skill.

#4. It is casual. I cannot believe that it was possible to make a MMORPG skill based and casual. Why? For years we have seen a flock of idiots scream skill == hardcore == no life, and it was almost true up until now.

I am fucking psyched for this game. Thank god it comes out after I am done this semester, hopefully it does not clash into my fall semester because I actually need to finish my thesis -_-

Your post made me laugh so hard. You do realize that there are many Asian MMO's that are successful and are very much alive.

1.) You say american art is bad and then poing out that the women have flat chests?! There is a lot of good American art but usually its not the focus in Western MMO's. In the east however, you can see the art coming from every aspect of the game.

2.) Aion was not a failure and more people don't feel like that if you stopped and looked at their western sub numbers. Where are you examples or comparisons in your arguement? I've played eastern MMO's and usually money is not a problem. The problem is your lazy and you want to hit max level in a week then come to the forums and complain about how fast you got to max level. Asian games have been about of American history going back to the Atari. Your arguements about the US having better games lacks alot.

3.) Did you just compare an MMO to a fighting game? You don't think you'll be using the same attacks over and over? I think you mean Skill> Gear. Sadly, combat should not be the main focus of an MMO. It should be a story with you as a character in it. Its a living world that you experience. It unfortunate the direction MMO's go these days.

4.) Hardcore doesn't equal no life. Casual doesn't equal good. MMO's shouldn't be casual thats what multi-player Halo is for. MMO's are supposed to be an immersive getaway where you play a character and enjoy the world. Now if you can't level to max in a few weeks its a grind. Why is the leveling that major focus in MMOs?

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Lathander81

4.) Hardcore doesn't equal no life. Casual doesn't equal good. MMO's shouldn't be casual thats what multi-player Halo is for. MMO's are supposed to be an immersive getaway where you play a character and enjoy the world. Now if you can't level to max in a few weeks its a grind. Why is the leveling that major focus in MMOs?

QFT

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

The first Korean MMORPG to "not fail", huh? 

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

besides everything the OP is saying is plain worng, the main error is that Tera will fail even harder then most korean shit, because of the overhype ;)

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

lol. i read the thread title as Tera going to fail?

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by lathaan

besides everything the OP is saying is plain worng, the main error is that Tera will fail even harder then most korean shit, because of the overhype ;)

Tera is overhyped? Huh?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by lathaan

Every AAA mmo these days gets the overhype treatment, so I don't see your point?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• FeardayFearday Member UncommonPosts: 31

If you like the game then play it, if you dont like it stay away   simple and easy

and to wow´s huge numbers : i know people there have 6 accounts and i bet those gold sellers have alot more so end of story i bet wow are down to 1 max 2 mill subs  so are it a fail then ??

who cares ??  you like it ? play it

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Nah the biggest issue is that they need to change the game to appeal to western tastes something Aion has still not done.

Aion still have more players in the west then Lord of the rings, war, eve and aoc so why should they change?

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by Leucrotta

Nah the biggest issue is that they need to change the game to appeal to western tastes something Aion has still not done.

Aion still have more players in the west then Lord of the rings, war, eve and aoc so why should they change?

You dont get it, Aion is the second MMO in subs. numbers in the market... but its a failure... because people is that smart :)

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by judex99

You dont get it, Aion is the second MMO in subs. numbers in the market... but its a failure... because people is that smart :)

Please... Aion is not even a premium game. Matter of fact, there are very few premium games online right now. Aion, Conan, Tera should all be 2nd teir games. With a sub rate of $6/month.

They do not offer a full MMORPG environment. Such as hundreds of dungeons, full crafting spectrum, factions, thousands of items to wear, weather systems, non-instancing, etc..  

All these new game offer, is graphics.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by kalimah

I know how to read.  When you say this game will make it in the US is why the game will FAIL.  BIG ASS SWORDS and crap like that don't do well in NA.  Sorry fanboi!   You will be soooo unhappy when this game fails!

"I love how people can see the future into how games will do.. "

Someone just said that a few posts before yours in this same thread. Maybe you know the person who posted it.

Just sayin'...

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by Phelcher

Please... Aion is not even a premium game. Matter of fact, there are very few premium games online right now. Aion, Conan, Tera should all be 2nd teir games. With a sub rate of $6/month.

They do not offer a full MMORPG environment. Such as hundreds of dungeons, full crafting spectrum, factions, thousands of items to wear, weather systems, non-instancing, etc..  

What game has hundreds of dungeons?

Ok maybe Diablo.

If WoW had 100's of dungeons id probably not have quit playing it. Crafting in every game ive played has been completely pointless.

Im also looking forward to Tera, ive recently heard a few bad things but definitely still wanna see for myself.

My problem is i know theyre going to westernize it which completely destroys the original game so sadly i dont have my hopes up.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• kbb73kbb73 Member Posts: 5

I think the gameplay in Tera is interesting, at least it tries to engage you in the combat, instead of simply spamming a button and daydreaming........ it mighten't be a perfect system or very "skill based" but at least they're trying to break the mold and make you intersted in how your fighting the mobs.

If its combat was "revolutionary" and completely skill based, and the opposite of say WoW, then they're wouldn't be people sitting around bitchin about it on forums......

Originally posted by monstermmo

Ok maybe Diablo.

If WoW had 100's of dungeons id probably not have quit playing it. Crafting in every game ive played has been completely pointless.

Im also looking forward to Tera, ive recently heard a few bad things but definitely still wanna see for myself.

My problem is i know theyre going to westernize it which completely destroys the original game so sadly i dont have my hopes up.

World of Warcraft ? Silly kid, don't you know the progeny & history of the game world you live in.

Everquest has nearly 500 dungeons. If SOE would not have dumb-down the game post WoW, (in search of that lucritive WoW buck), then I could recommend the game to nearly anyone. But unfortunatly, the game is muddled in spoonfed content and is no longer a model of it's mighty heritage.

But, even a single EQ dungeon is far more enthralling and dynamic, than anything released in the MMO space in 12 years (save Vanguard).

btw... Diablo is not a MMORPG.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Ok maybe Diablo.

World of Warcraft ? Silly kid, don't you know the progeny & history of the game world you live in.

Everquest has nearly 500 dungeons. If SOE would not have dumb-down the game post WoW, (in search of that lucritive WoW buck), then I could recommend the game to nearly anyone. But unfortunatly, the game is muddled in spoonfed content and is no longer a model of it's mighty heritage.

But, even a single EQ dungeon is far more enthralling and dynamic, than anything released in the MMO space in 12 years (save Vanguard).

You felt the need to call me a silly kid because i mentioned WoW? Funny and ridiculous.

Then you name a game that is insanely old, has horrible graphics and the gameplay is trash for anybody that actually wants to "play" a video game.

Im sorry youre so defensive tho. I wasnt even insulting you in any way.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

TERA = Massive grind!

Ok maybe Diablo.

You felt the need to call me a silly kid because i mentioned WoW? Funny and ridiculous.

Then you name a game that is insanely old, has horrible graphics and the gameplay is trash for anybody that actually wants to "play" a video game.

Im sorry youre so defensive tho. I wasnt even insulting you in any way.

Sorry, but u speak of which you do not know.

Everquest's gameplay has not been matched since & although it's graphics are outdated, the content, depth and diversity is still unmatched 11 years later. You know of Everquest, you do not know Everquest.

-Nariusseldon

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

It was really hard to see anything appealing from that video - I must admit I quit out of it about 1/2 thru the same movements occurring over and over with the same standard grunting bunny-eared girl with a huge lance fighting a generic undead horse person over and over.

from reading the webpage it seems like its group based quests and solo quests later on becoming pointless - anyway as its been mentioned - quality of quest is important otherwise its another grind with a different name.

I don’t think that Asian style games are actually hiring enough honest western people to build their games before deciding that their game will rock the western markets socks off. In order to understand how things are culturally bias you need to go live somewhere for a while - this flows both ways with western market having a hard time changing their content for the Asian model of gaming.

• Expecially the envy and bored wow fanboys. :|

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by kdchan

Expecially the envy and bored wow fanboys. :|

Lol, WoW has nothing to be worried about from this game.  From watching the gameplay video, it makes me think at some point the female characters are going to be attacked by giant penis tentacles.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.