Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Lotro out of creativity

2»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Mesmerinda

The Spider solo instance in Moria, have forgotten the name but it's the one where you have to prevent the trapped dwarfes from getting eaten, now that was a good and actually creative type of solo quest, that one could wish they'd make more of.

I remember going in as mid-level (i.e 54-55 for Moria) or so minstrel, was a real challenge trying to first of all stay alive and at the same time rescuing the webbed dwarfes one by one while keeping an eye out on the rest of the room, making sure no dwarfes were being eaten at the other end of the room. Good challening fun, especially when there was a graphical bug preventing you from actually seeing the spiders, now that made it really challenging :)

Such a shame they (or any other mmo developer, it seems) can't be bothered to think up more stuff like that.

oh I can think of several creative quests that LoTRO has, the tossing stones to get the giants fighting in Evendim, most ogf the festival quests are great fun and involve such things as running along raised boards while drining beers which blurs the vision, looking for things by sticking you hand into vases many of which contain disgusting things. The quests where you go back in history and play as a historical figure..the list goes on.

All anyone has to do now is DL the game and they can see for themselves what the gamne is and is not. Guess that is why the game is consistently in the top 3 MMO's on the Xfire list and has been for months now.

I miss DAoC

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Jackdog

The Spider solo instance in Moria, have forgotten the name but it's the one where you have to prevent the trapped dwarfes from getting eaten, now that was a good and actually creative type of solo quest, that one could wish they'd make more of.

I remember going in as mid-level (i.e 54-55 for Moria) or so minstrel, was a real challenge trying to first of all stay alive and at the same time rescuing the webbed dwarfes one by one while keeping an eye out on the rest of the room, making sure no dwarfes were being eaten at the other end of the room. Good challening fun, especially when there was a graphical bug preventing you from actually seeing the spiders, now that made it really challenging :)

Such a shame they (or any other mmo developer, it seems) can't be bothered to think up more stuff like that.

oh I can think of several creative quests that LoTRO has, the tossing stones to get the giants fighting in Evendim, most ogf the festival quests are great fun and involve such things as running along raised boards while drining beers which blurs the vision, looking for things by sticking you hand into vases many of which contain disgusting things. The quests where you go back in history and play as a historical figure..the list goes on.

All anyone has to do now is DL the game and they can see for themselves what the gamne is and is not. Guess that is why the game is consistently in the top 3 MMO's on the Xfire list and has been for months now.

I can't remember the name of it, but I like the one in mirkwood where you're trying to find someone, and over and over you think you see them, and they turn into a Wisp and attack.  It turns out your quest guide is misleading you.

EDIT:  Ah... also the Ranger stashes in Enedwaith are pretty cool.  Find a tree with a rune on it, walk 40 paces west, then 15 north, etc.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Jackdog

I can't remember the name of it, but I like the one in mirkwood where you're trying to find someone, and over and over you think you see them, and they turn into a Wisp and attack.  It turns out your quest guide is misleading you.

EDIT:  Ah... also the Ranger stashes in Enedwaith are pretty cool.  Find a tree with a rune on it, walk 40 paces west, then 15 north, etc.

some of the early quests in Straddlehave some great writing also. I like the one where the female hobbit tests a male hobbit by having you tell him that before dating him he has to get rid of his old dog, then when he says he will not she admits she was just testing him. Also some of the lore related quests are quite good, such as finding out the fate of Bert Tom and Bill and interacting with the book NPC's.When you get right down to it most of the quest writing in LoTRO is above average for the gameing industry.

However as I pointed out earlier all quests in every MMO involve your toon either going from point A to point B and killing mobs/interacting with NPC's, or gathering resources. Simple reason.......is because those actions are all that  any character in any MMO is able to accomplish. So for those complaining that quests in LoTRO are the same old same old becuase they based on the killing of mobs, going from point A to point B, interacting with a NPC or gathering resources they are describing the entire genre.

I miss DAoC

• Speaking of creativity, I think it wasn't very clever to put this story in an mmorpg genre like its being done with so many other mmorpg's. Surely it earns a lot of money, surely putting the storyline separately is a good choice, and, helps getting away from grinding quests if you really want to.

But this legendary story actually deserves its own game with its own system. The similarities with other mmorpg games are astonishing. It's still focused too much towards an average mmorpg: quest-kill-reward/dungeon-kill-reward. And there the storyline is just not fitting in. The storyline is a pure idealism, which doesnt fit with the mmorpg genre at all. I really would have made it completely different:

First of all i would certainly not have let people level. The idea of crawling into a character in a book is that you live the character. And that is Frodo, or at least each one of the fellowship. This game could have been so much better focusing on that, and then tailoring the price towards that quality. Certainly many older people would have liked to try it as the book is so popular and already existent for some time. Special events could be created to enhance correct group play and all these things, to keep the community in line with the game, and to avoid grinding and gaming addiction. in my opinion environmental design shuld be very flexible and very qualitative. i think that would explore a new market, because many players get bored fast, as is being shown here in the replies. Personally, I cant be bothered too much but if i am really honest, the part i love most is exploring something new in the game.

All that's being done now is thinking how the player can be kept online doing something, being a bit social, or something like that. but i think over the coming years with climate change people are starting to see that there's more outside the computer (including myself). also because mmorpg's are still a trend, and not something that has fully established itself yet. So there are surely things to be explored here; hidden markets for real quality gaming.