Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why westernization?

2»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Soooo...this game will release much later for the US/EU? Does this mean we'll get updates much later as well once it does release?

By westernisation I think they mean that they will have to translate it and maybe change the art style.

I really haven't read much on this game but I don't have my hopes up for it since it is an asian game adopted for the West. All the Asian MMOs I have tried were extremely disappointing. Mindboggling grind always comes to mind. There are just grindfests. That plus I don't like the style at all. There's actually nothing I like about Asian MMOs :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by fivoroth

Soooo...this game will release much later for the US/EU? Does this mean we'll get updates much later as well once it does release?

By westernisation I think they mean that they will have to translate it and maybe change the art style.

I really haven't read much on this game but I don't have my hopes up for it since it is an asian game adopted for the West. All the Asian MMOs I have tried were extremely disappointing. Mindboggling grind always comes to mind. There are just grindfests. That plus I don't like the style at all. There's actually nothing I like about Asian MMOs :D

Have you played Rift? Well,you lvl up faster in Tera,always with quests.

They wont change the art style,one of the best things about Tera is that it doesn't have the same old same old boring Tolkien races.

• Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47

I think I'd play TERA if it wasn't for the character models.

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Crynswind

They wont change the art style,one of the best things about Tera is that it doesn't have the same old same old boring Tolkien races.

In Rift you have multiple ways of leveling up, where as in TERA you don't.

For the western release they will have to add loads more content, simple as that!

And on the subject of races, give me a dwarf or elf over a little girl with bunny ears anyday.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Goggy

Originally posted by Crynswind

In Rift you have multiple ways of leveling up, where as in TERA you don't.

For the western release they will have to add loads more content, simple as that!

And on the subject of races, give me a dwarf or elf over a little girl with bunny ears anyday.

"Multiple ways of leveling up"

Repetitive and generic quests.

Repetitive Rifts.

Repeating the same warfront over and over.

Nice,lol,the game will be another AoC/War in 2 months.

Give me a Baraka or an Aman over an Orc/Dwarf anyday.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Well as long as its open pvp, nice areas, at least some grind and skillbased its fine. Just to bad its so few classes, im really used to L2 where theres loooooooots of classes to play.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Well as long as its open pvp, nice areas, at least some grind and skillbased its fine. Just to bad its so few classes, im really used to L2 where theres loooooooots of classes to play.

I prefer fewer classes with mo re customization to many classes that are static. In a perfect world we get both of course but I doubt well see many MMOs like that.

So the question is: How customizable are the classes?

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Loke666

I prefer fewer classes with mo re customization to many classes that are static. In a perfect world we get both of course but I doubt well see many MMOs like that.

I don't think Bluehole know the meaning of customization.

Apparently its not about skill tress, its all about player skill.

You will have glyphs that you can equip/slot  that will give you skill reductions or increases, and that's about it.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

You will have glyphs that you can equip/slot  that will give you skill reductions or increases, and that's about it.

We got it, you like to troll, go away.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Less classes and less customization = easier to balance.Have fun bitching about the 80 different class combos on Rift forums every week.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

what other Asian MMO's have you tried?

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97

When i think of westernization I think of a few things:

1. Obviously is translation...i dont know many EU or NA players that speak fluent korean.

2. There are a few things involved in gameplay that just dont sit well with NA players. Certain morals and ideas that we here in the US hold just dont have the same bearing in korea. An example would be - playing casually. If you can find a casual Starcraft II player in korea ill be impressed and will probably paypal you $1,000,000 (not realy). So to appease the carebears we have loafing around in our hardcore mmo's (no offense carebears) they will likely make pve servers. either that or change an entire game mechanic so that pvp is only allowed if certain conditions are met( i.e. not in a town, or in a designated pvp area) but i doubt that will happen.

3. Voice actors. Even though there are a small percentage of you who enjoy the korean voices...the rest of NA dont want to hear high pitched asians screaming. Its always a shame when a game has a killer soundtrack, but theres these annoying asian voices ruining it. Muting just the voices would break up the soundscape :(

4. Marketing. How are we going to sell it. What sells  to the western market. If you look at aion, there are alot of ingame items, emotes, pets, etc that arent available in the US/EU...but they are hot items in Korea.There are even different events in Korea.

5. Optimizing the client for the varieties of bandwith that exist in the US and EU.

thats about all i can think of realy.

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65

I have to agree with the original poster take Aion for instance and their attempt to westernize it as to where it failed hard here in the the western region with a dwindling player base of probably around 50k left or around that at this point in time for the western servers they are merging servers more and more they were planning to merge nezekastan next into another server now which will take them down to 4 servers.

I truly do hope they don't change it when they westernize these mmos like this it sucks from my own experience when compared to the orignial and it so much easier for the lazy players they're trying to cater too I truly hope they don't do it to this one and the game remains somewhat challenging I don't like lvling at a snails pace but I don't wanna hit the cap in a month either the games just that much more boring at that point for me and I tend to not play them as much once I hit lvl caps just cause realy thats the most challenging thing in them.

I just hope they're not trying to draw a huge following from WoW like rift is and in the same sence turning it into another game with pretty much all the same mechanics as it just different classes/skills and scenery to do it in. Hopefully this will be something refreshingly a little more original than the same junk that they seem to think all mmos have to have to be succesful I've been looking into games coming out and ones that have been out for years and its getting quite boring with mmos anymore as no one has the gull to try something new and take a risk on something that hasn't been done before instead of just going with what work's.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Yalexy

Hello there.

Apparently nothing needs to be changed at all, but the language from korean to english, as all people I've talked to playing on the korean server currently don't see anything that needs to be changed actually to appeal to the western countries.

The game is fun to play, has not too much grind and is quiet polished. There's lot's of quests and group-instances and it's multi-player oriented instead of a solo-grind-fest.

What kind of stuff will be done by this "westernization" EnMasse/Frogster is talking about?

I don't see them changing the artstyle, which is apparently pretty much asian style, but the rest is good as it is, even for us western players.

I actually fear, that they will screw up the game instead of making it better...

A lot needs to change. Remember, In korea the business model is completely different. Most of their gamers spend time in PC Cafes where you rent computers per hour. This means the korean design ends up consisting of a lot of grind in order to keep players at those terminals longer, thus creating more revenue for them and the PC Cafe.

Korean gamers typically follow the large group mentality, there is less individuality in play styles. In the west its the exact opposite. A large guild in the West is often the smallest guild in the East. Linearity is often seen as better over there, where the progression is more of a form of enjoyed work. The west is different, you will actually see more in the way of role playing, depth and exploration in the west. In korea they are often more direct, not immersed in the world so much as they are in the group interaction and competativeness. Neither is good or bad, just completely different.

This is why westernization is important, just as easternization should be important too for games we ship over there. It doesnt look like both sides are going to mix in some sort of perfect way just yet, it will take lots of time and gradual shifting of play styles to incorporate both, if at all possible.