Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There isnt a single MMO that holds a candle...

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Xzen

Why can't we have a healthy looking woman? Not that best in the picture a couple posts up. You know one that doesnt do steroids and does not have an Adam''s apple?

I assume your picture of a healthy looking women is a playboy bunny?

And female athletes are helluva more healthy than you are and not all use steroids. If your picture of women werent so narrow you would realise that women can build muscles. What do you think a female fireman uses to crack open a burning door with, her boobs?

But all of these responses I am getting actually explains quite well why females are almost always modelled more for their looks rather than their abilities...

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

If you want to play with ugly and muscular women,you have plenty of western mmos.

And yes,they are ugly,very ugly.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

derailed thread is derailed

what sold me on Tera...COMBAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvw2FY6wFHo

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Crynswind

If you want to play with ugly and muscular women,you have plenty of western mmos.

And yes,they are ugly,very ugly.

EDIT: Why bother...

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by Somnicide

Originally posted by ircaddicts

clearly you have not seen guild wars 2 then as it looks better than this does.

GW2's art style may look better, but in terms of technical graphics it doesnt come close. Just watch this in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIJQFQWnUQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrpJvm3bVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRdgKmybhE

I think Archage beats it but it's close.

Cry Engine 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5862eaGPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5Sh3M2iP8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nY1mO7qEE&feature=related

But yeah, Asia is about to kick ass in the MMO field,they are willing to think outside the box.

Just look at all the features of Archage that are actually working.

3RD beta starts in may and it's about poilishing up the combat as all the other features are in and working.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Xzen

Why can't we have a healthy looking woman? Not that best in the picture a couple posts up. You know one that doesnt do steroids and does not have an Adam''s apple?

I assume your picture of a healthy looking women is a playboy bunny?

And female athletes are helluva more healthy than you are and not all use steroids. If your picture of women werent so narrow you would realise that women can build muscles. What do you think a female fireman uses to crack open a burning door with, her boobs?

But all of these responses I am getting actually explains quite well why females are almost always modelled more for their looks rather than their abilities...

I know a lot of atletic girls that do not look like proffesional body builders. A woman that swings an axe for a living might be physically fit but they wouldn't necessarily look like She-Hulk.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Too bad TERA is just another RYL clone.

/thread

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Too bad TERA is just another RYL clone.

/thread

RYL really doesn't get enough credit for how visceral and fun it's combat could be.  If someone played it, said it had potential, and decided to improve upon it with a high budget, the result would be awesome.  If TERA is that, then I can't wait.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I haven't played the beta (was in korean so I didn't pay any attention), but I played it at PAX and while I do prefer GW2, TERA is a good second in terms of combat.  Animations are good and the graohics are as well (but at a certain point, polygon count matters less than art style and personal preference...and yes...TERA is hypersexualized).  Where I think TERA does not beat other MMOs (and I haven't played since the PAX demos) is normal questing.  I imagine that the game has a fair bit of grinding in it (not sure though) and from what I saw, questing is a pretty standard fare.

I might as well adress my feelings on the "anime" art style of the game...I don't really like or mind it that much, but anyone who denies that it is there must adjust there perspective a bit.  What is being called "anime" is more a general art style that games like lineage, Aion, B&S, and FFXIV have.  Its not about looking cartoony or unrealistic, though characters tend to be the most out of proportion as opposed to the environment, but the general mood and texture and color scheme and lighting all contribute.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

GW2's art style may look better, but in terms of technical graphics it doesnt come close. Just watch this in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRdgKmybhE

This game is visually stunning and if it all comes together well, the interactive combat system could give it the edge over GW2 for a lot of people.

One thing I noticed watching these videos was how the oft-criticised giant weapons actually work. Given the size of many of the mobs and the size of the avatars, you'd literally have to be stood right on top of the thing if you were wielding a piddly little dagger or whatever. That would mean most combat would be you starring at a wall of skin texture and not much else. However wielding an uber-sword, you can stand back a bit, convincingly connect with the mob when you swing and have a look round all at the same time.

Such huge weapons may shock a few people ;) but it makes sense in many ways, and it is fantasy after all.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Tera looks very nice, but nice graphics alone does not make a great game. Aion and AoC both have stunning graphics and both flopped in the US. I considered giving it a shot, but after seeing the rediculous looking combat with the over-sized weapons, all the avatara yelling HAAAAIIIIII-YA, and freaking Pandas weilding weapons, I think I will pass.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

WoW also has big weapons.

And the melee classes NEED big weapons,unless you want them to be gimped against ranged classes.

In this game,the size of the weapon is the actual reach.

This isn't another click and spam 12312313 mmo.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by Kuppa

Have to admit that graphics in that video look very damn good. Still nothing really groundbreaking(gameplay wise) from Tera and I hate the art style. And please don't tell me aiming and doging is groundbreaking.....

It is actually. It's been done better than any other MMO has hands down. But you'll see for yourself if/when you try it. Open Beta will be free of course.

This is one of the things that interests me greatly about TERA - the combat.  I've enjoyed the action-style combat in Vindictus and DCUO, but don't think that either is a particularly good MMORPG.  TERA looks like it has better combat, AND is a deeper MMO than either, which to me would be a good thing.

Of course, I haven't played TERA at all so far, so I'm not making any predictions on whether or not I'll like it.  It looks good, though.

I would have to say just from what I've seen of TERAs combat, its still second place in my book in comparison with DCUO.  Just watching the videos I see just as much running as I do attacking,  and while some might call it being "tactical"  I see the same moves being used, in the same manner, with a long hiatus in between attacks.  Every video I've seen of TERA looks like this.  I will likely play the game just because the combat still looks fun,  but the combat in no way looks better than the fast paced reactive combat of DCUO. 

That's what's great about having several games to choose from, because opinions differ on what each person likes better.

To me, a faster pace does not equal better, or "more skill required".  Part of the "fast pace" of DCUO includes autotargeting, skills that automatically "jump" you to your target, and autofacing upon skill use.

Obviously, I've not played TERA, so I can't be certain, but the combat in TERA does look more tactical, and from what I've seen it appears that it does less things automatically for you (though I know there are some targetted skills in the game).  Perhaps someone here that's played can correct me if I'm off base with this assumption.

It also appears that TERA has more depth, in that it has at least a couple of things more than just combat, combat, and more combat, which is pretty much all DCUO offers.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to trying TERA.

Tera to me looks like an intermediary between regular MMO combat, and what DCUO has done with the faster paced action combat.  Of course my opinion of that may change when I get more time with TERA but right now the skills being used per class seems rather minimal.  As TERA is a fantasy game it would only make sense for the world to have more fantasy based things to do like crafting.   

I enjoy DCUO very much and I would like to add TERA to my repetiore as well as long as the combat meshes well with my playstyle.  As the game appears more skill based I would like to see an ability for PvP associated with said skill rather then class and gear,  which is one of my favorite parts of DCUO -- even though a class is supposed to have an advantage over another class, player skill will always prevail.

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Daitengu

Originally posted by xKingdomx

And why do people keep calling TERA "anime" graphics? TERA's buildings and trees so really really realistic? And the character model are just more Eastern influence Fantasy genre, honestly look at an anime and come back to say TERA got a very 'anime' style........

My thoughts exactly. There's plenty of games out that have actual anime style, with and without cell shading, for people to not get it confused with eastern fantasy.

It'd be like me calling CoD cartoon style because of GI Joe.

Hmm wow where to start.  The Korean character art style which is basically blurring the lines between male and female characteristics then dressing them up in barbie doll cloths gets its origins from the Anime art style.  You are looking at the game world and stating I dont see it.  I and others are looking at the characters and going ya huge ANIME influence.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by alderdale

Originally posted by Daitengu

And why do people keep calling TERA "anime" graphics? TERA's buildings and trees so really really realistic? And the character model are just more Eastern influence Fantasy genre, honestly look at an anime and come back to say TERA got a very 'anime' style........

My thoughts exactly. There's plenty of games out that have actual anime style, with and without cell shading, for people to not get it confused with eastern fantasy.

It'd be like me calling CoD cartoon style because of GI Joe.

Hmm wow where to start.  The Korean character art style which is basically blurring the lines between male and female characteristics then dressing them up in barbie doll cloths gets its origins from the Anime art style.  You are looking at the game world and stating I dont see it.  I and others are looking at the characters and going ya huge ANIME influence.

TERA doesnt blur the lines between male and female at all.

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00019.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00026.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00047.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00001.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00015b.jpg

Maybe High Elves...

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00031.jpg

but thats about it. And I mean, they're elves. So what else did you expect from them?

Dressing people up as barbie dolls originated WAY before koreans even had an art style and was very very popular in rennaissance times in THE WEST. At least give a reason for the 'anime' style that isnt completely untrue.

Sup.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I think TERA is more powerful in terms of game engine, being Unreal 3 and all that shizzles, BUT Guild Wars 2 wins much more in the Art style points.....image

It's not so much "anime graphics" per say to the overall game,  it's more like they gave the option to play a "anime character" in the game.  Granted Popori can also be considered anime also.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Use WOMEN models for ***** sake! Like this:

I dont think is a culture thing, i mean which MMO actually uses female chars like that? ill answer you ... none

Maybe one race in a game can use something near to that , but in that case Tera uses it also with Aman female, just to point it out here is my char in Rift beta, even behind her you can see a warrior model and is still not very "musculated":

• Originally posted by Yamota
    Hey if you cant stand criticism then dont visit forums, here people are allowed to express their opinions.

If you are looking so much for a mmo with ugly and muscular women you are in the wrong place i guess, Tera is an eastern mmo with asian culture, you know, i know, all know. You should open a thread in the general mmo section about "how mmo don't have muscular women" if you want really a better reply from a generalistic playerbase, here majority are eastern fans if you didn't notice.

Originally posted by stayontarget
    It's not so much "anime graphics" per say to the overall game,  it's more like they gave the option to play a "anime character" in the game.  Granted Popori can also be considered anime also.

Nothing wrong with the anime stereotypes, Tera is made by a korean company with a completely different culture, and localized for the west market. They sure made more races western like too but in the end the art style will still an eastern design.
    There is nothing wrong with this, i'm here to play Tera because i like eastern mmo in the first place, asian mmo have a lot of fans around the world like Aion now and Tera/Blade and Soul tomorrow. What really matter is the gameplay.

The mmo world have western and eastern mmo with a diferent culture and tastes and people should respect both even if some will never touch an eastern or western game.
    This is how a mature user should do, you will never see me complain in the wow forum, i don't like wow, i hate it because wow is the cause of stagnation in the west market and all games are almost wow rip-off, but i respect it and their playerbase.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

So basically Western gamers (tho I consider Australia a very western culture gaming community, but we are in the oceanic are nontheless) wants this

Very muscular (evidence of strength)

armored (protection from damage), buff people don't need armors :P

Weapons that isn't oversized (the damn claws)

The look of steroids (to provide backup for future excuse for weapons that are oversized)

I'll pass :)

But in all serious honesty, no one here is forcing you to play the game, we understand TERA's art style isn't for everyone, some people do enjoy the Eastern influenced Fantasy style, not everyone in game is gonna be perverted and be a lolli toon (I admit some will, not me :P)

If you need to be convince to be immersed in a Fantasy genre game, if you need realism in a Fantasy genre game, if you need reason and evidence in a Fantasy genre game, then I have a very good suggestion for you Sci-Fi or COD BLOPS

If you don't like it, please be kind to the game and move on, no need to trash a game just based on its art styles, no evidence of the gameplay being trash, lets have some optimism here, the mmo crowd needs a big does of that.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Graphics aren't everything and TERAs combat system has been done before with TCoS and it failed.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by Z3R01

Graphics aren't everything and TERAs combat system has been done before with TCoS and it failed.

Ok.

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

I honestly don't see the point of the "westernization" of games. Obviously a translation is needed, but beyond that, the process seems futile. If you make a game that is perfect for one audience, you are not going to make it attractive to another audience with any tweaks possible within a reasonable budget (both time and money). I can only speak for myself, of course, but I can't stand the art style of any Korean or Japanese made game I've seen. I might still play some of them (TERA included) if I like them otherwise, but no amount of "westernization" will change the fact that I play the game despite disliking the art style, so why not just focus on those that like it in the first place? The same can be said for game mechanics. Those who like eastern style games excpect game mechanics to resemble other eastern style games. Why on earth would you risk alienating the target audience just to dip into another market?

Anyway, I entered the thread at random to look at the screenshots. The quality of the graphics is really impressive for an MMO even if I don't like the art style much. Due to personal preferences I doubt I'll play TERA, but it still really annoys me to see people argue that something needs to change when it obviously hits the spot for millions of others.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I have watched my share of Tera vids, ones like this,  and I cannot get past the the eastern style art and constant pukey-cuteseyness.   Also females characters running around in teddies, panties and pumps?   Then if you watch you see the mobs take for ever to kill.   That in itself is just another grind.    No thank you.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by judex99

Use WOMEN models for ***** sake! Like this:

I dont think is a culture thing, i mean which MMO actually uses female chars like that? ill answer you ... none

Maybe one race in a game can use something near to that , but in that case Tera uses it also with Aman female, just to point it out here is my char in Rift beta, even behind her you can see a warrior model and is still not very "musculated":

I gotta say the Feiries in RIFT are just plain Fugly....Lettuce wings, Osteoperosis and a seriously Eff'ed up hairdo

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Teala

I have watched my share of Tera vids, ones like this,  and I cannot get past the the eastern style art and constant pukey-cuteseyness.   Also females characters running around in teddies, panties and pumps?   Then if you watch you see the mobs take for ever to kill.   That in itself is just another grind.    No thank you.

Of course elites take forever to kill on your own, like in the vid you linked.

Thank you for letting us know you will not be playing TERA.

Shall we throw a party for you or do you want us to be sad?

Anything else you don't like that you want to share with us?

This discussion has been closed.