Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it or hate it, Aion is still growing

QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/11/ncsofts-lineage-enjoys-record-year-aion-growth-boosts-total-re/

Quote: 

"Much to the chagrin of fail-trolls across the internet, NCsoft has also publicized the fact that Aioncontinues to be a financial success after "recording consecutive growth for the last three years." Taken together, NCsoft's big three (LineageLineage 2, and Aion) have now accounted for $2.7 billion in lifetime sales. "

Aion isn't a game for everyone, and it's pro's and con's have been hotly debated on these forums.  It's clear that there are plenty of gamers around the world that can't wait to see future developments in the world of Atreia.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

aion does grow!just not where this website customer are!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

There is a lot to like with Aion but for me i couldnt stand the combat sounds really grated on my nerves .. Why musy every combat sound , emulate some one slapping a piece of bologna on a 4" pvc pipe ...Thwack ! Slap! Thwack! Slap! .. drove me away along with the rest of the corny sounds imo

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Qazz

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/11/ncsofts-lineage-enjoys-record-year-aion-growth-boosts-total-re/

Quote: 

"Much to the chagrin of fail-trolls across the internet, NCsoft has also publicized the fact that Aioncontinues to be a financial success after "recording consecutive growth for the last three years." Taken together, NCsoft's big three (LineageLineage 2, and Aion) have now accounted for $2.7 billion in lifetime sales. "

Aion isn't a game for everyone, and it's pro's and con's have been hotly debated on these forums.  It's clear that there are plenty of gamers around the world that can't wait to see future developments in the world of Atreia.

NIce slective quote....this says nothing about its growth in the North american market which i doubt it did...ofc it's growing in korea....such irresponsible reporting from Massively...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Socman75

Quote: 

NIce slective quote....this says nothing about its growth in the North american market which i doubt it did...ofc it's growing in korea....such irresponsible reporting from Massively...

Growth is growth.  If its making money, then good for them.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Quote: 

Growth is growth.  If its making money, then good for them.

Even trolls know that the game makes money. However, thats only in the East. I personally hate the game because they failed to understand they needed to change portions of it to fit the tastes of western mmo players. Its basically dead in the west but yes it reall yis doing well in the east.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Quote: 

They never said what you are implying.  The point is that Aion isn't dying, as some 'fail-trolls' are trying to say.  The game is growing most importantly, making money.  This shows that the game is doing well and will continue development for years to come.  Aion isn't for everybody and certainly won't appeal to many.  I've stated this many times: if you try Aion, chances are you won't like it.  I'm one of those weird gamers that love Aion.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yeah, Aion was pretty successful, especially in Korea.

They also had a huge amount of preorders and sales in the West.

I also believe the game didn't really cost that much to make either.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

The original Starcraft had massive play levels over there too well over 10 years AFTER the fact... does that mean it was "growing"?  No.   And whats more, all the botters running around have accounts.  Each of them are counted.  So one person, running 10 accounts for 10 bots on 1 computer is still 10 extra players.

I've seen this stuff with my own eyes so don't try to feel me this misinformation/propaganda.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Conidering the hatchet jobs that massive does,  and also rigging the votes this year to give sto the best mmo of 2010.

I take anything I read from them with a gallon of salt.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Quote: 

This kind of ethnocentric attitude is nothing but thinly veiled racism.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I'd play Aion if it went F2P or Pay-as-you-go instead. And if servers were stable population-wise. I tried last October/November; our server was balanced but for some reason they allowed gazillions of Elyos to transfer to our server and they started to zerg all the forts...

Originally posted by Ikeda

The original Starcraft had massive play levels over there too well over 10 years AFTER the fact... does that mean it was "growing"?  No.   And whats more, all the botters running around have accounts.  Each of them are counted.  So one person, running 10 accounts for 10 bots on 1 computer is still 10 extra players.

I've seen this stuff with my own eyes so don't try to feel me this misinformation/propaganda.

Are you suggesting that botters are the reason that Aion as increased it's revenue each year? That's a hilarious assumption.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I don't have the article in front of me but it was estimated it cost NC about 20mil US to produce. It honestly showed in the lack of content and poor quest design.

For the record i absolutely loved the art style and combat but after 6 months of poor drop rates and lack of content at level 50, i had enough.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I have no hate for Aion.. I don't like the cheap way in which it is run, all the more so seeing as it makes NCS a ton of cash, but I don't hate it. I didnt even find it very grindy until L42 or so.

IMO, if they had implemented PvE servers (with PvP restricted to the abyss, or even just the Fort islands), and spent more cash on putting in more quest content and world fluff in from the start, then it would have retained a stack more more players in the West.

Everything in the game just seems to be done on shoestring budget though.... cheap cheap cheap.

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Alders

I don't have the article in front of me but it was estimated it cost NC about 20mil US to produce. It honestly showed in the lack of content and poor quest design.

For the record i absolutely loved the art style and combat but after 6 months of poor drop rates and lack of content at level 50, i had enough.

Things have changed...the drop rate especially.

And even more is coming.

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

Originally posted by Hepisodic

Originally posted by Alders

Things have changed...the drop rate especially.

And even more is coming.

I hope they don't keep increasing the 'guarantees'.  It's the risk vs reward factor that I love about Aion.  The last thing I want is every level 55 player running around in all golds with everything enchanted to +15.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Ikeda

Are you suggesting that botters are the reason that Aion as increased it's revenue each year? That's a hilarious assumption.

Botters and gold sellers are just a sign of how popular the game is.  No body bothers with games that suck :)

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Nice try, this game is  MEH...

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

That's good, keeps the revenue flowing into Blade and Soul.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Waiting on the next update before I try it again. I think the next update is when they plan to update the graphics and add most of that stuff they showed in the visions trailer.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

It might be growing in Korea/Japan but everybody knows Aion failed in the west market. Don't you remember the server merge?

Aion west support is poor compared to Korea and it shows.

I would expect more server merges after RIFT,SWTOR, GW2 and TERA launches.

Originally posted by Juaks

It might be growing in Korea/Japan but everybody knows Aion failed in the west market. Don't you remember the server merge?

Aion west support is poor compared to Korea and it shows.

I would expect more server merges after RIFT,SWTOR, GW2 and TERA launches.

So are you suggesting that any mmo that has had server merges is a failure?

• BattleM99BattleM99 Member Posts: 35

Well, it depends on how quickly they have them.

Besides, if it does well in the East, NCSoft will be happy.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Yes server merge = Fail                yea i said it !!!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

If I read the article correctly, they made still 43 million dollars in the US and 30 million dollars in Europe last year, which is still pretty good, especially compared to as good as all other MMO's (except WoW).

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."