Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There isnt a single MMO that holds a candle...

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by skoupidi

Originally posted by Somnicide

If you are not going to play a slideshow then screenshots does not tell the whole story. Show us an HD movie, then we can talk.

I already did, but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIJQFQWnUQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrpJvm3bVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFFX66Y2rc

Very impressive. But why, oh why, does asian games always have these little teen girl models wielding weapons twice their size? It makes NO sense at all and just looks weird. They got some fetisch with teen girls or wielding huge swords or what?! It is kinda sick imo.

Use WOMEN models for ***** sake! Like this:

I find them funny and cute.And i don't happen to like the orc/troll/goblin/dwarf etc. arstyle at all.

If you cant stand those little girls grouping with you or pawning you in pvp(i loled while picturing this), you could play something like Rift or GW2.There is no point blaming the asians for their artstyle,its their game after all.

Yes I will but it is a shame that you have to take a pass on a game because they use teenage girl models in a high fantasy settings as the female characters. It is neither realistic nor is it very healthy, imo, for adult males to run around looking at scantly cled teenage girls models. It simply breaks immersion to have a 7 feet, 300 pound male next to a 5 foot, 100 pound girl, wielding the same sized sword. It is just stupid.

However I think overall, even in western games, the female models are stupid. They usually look more like a playboy bunny than a female warrior, which is almost as stupid as the asian style.

Take a deep breath. Step back and stop applying your real life expectations, ethics, morals and whatever else on a game...

It is about immersion. I would not want to see a movie either if the warrioresses were looking like 14 year old girls. Not that 18 year old pinups are much better but atleast western media industry has produced movies with badasses like Ripley in Alien and Sarah Connor (forgot RL name) in T2.

I mean all I am asking for is for female warriors to be portrayed like female warriors who uses muscles and brains and not sex appeal to fight monsters. That too much to ask?

I mean look at the picture I linked. She actually looks like she could wield that sword and not someone you want to **** with.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Check out the female Amani, they're Dragonish humaoids. Finding Screen shots for em is kinda difficult but they look pretty womanly in my opinion... for a Draconid or what ever.  

Now that is more what I am talking about. Ok I will try this game after all, atleast they have some taste. The middle one in particular is one bad ass looking warrioress.

• AcidDKAcidDK Member Posts: 82

The upcoming engine upgrade for Age of Conan eats Tera for breakfast... Just too bad Funcom broke the game in so many other regards.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by skoupidi

If you are not going to play a slideshow then screenshots does not tell the whole story. Show us an HD movie, then we can talk.

Very impressive. But why, oh why, does asian games always have these little teen girl models wielding weapons twice their size? It makes NO sense at all and just looks weird. They got some fetisch with teen girls or wielding huge swords or what?! It is kinda sick imo.

I find them funny and cute.And i don't happen to like the orc/troll/goblin/dwarf etc. arstyle at all.

If you cant stand those little girls grouping with you or pawning you in pvp(i loled while picturing this), you could play something like Rift or GW2.There is no point blaming the asians for their artstyle,its their game after all.

Yes I will but it is a shame that you have to take a pass on a game because they use teenage girl models in a high fantasy settings as the female characters. It is neither realistic nor is it very healthy, imo, for adult males to run around looking at scantly cled teenage girls models. It simply breaks immersion to have a 7 feet, 300 pound male next to a 5 foot, 100 pound girl, wielding the same sized sword. It is just stupid.

However I think overall, even in western games, the female models are stupid. They usually look more like a playboy bunny than a female warrior, which is almost as stupid as the asian style.

Take a deep breath. Step back and stop applying your real life expectations, ethics, morals and whatever else on a game...

It is about immersion. I would not want to see a movie either if the warrioresses were looking like 14 year old girls. Not that 18 year old pinups are much better but atleast western media industry has produced movies with badasses like Ripley in Alien and Sarah Connor (forgot RL name) in T2.

I mean all I am asking for is for female warriors to be portrayed like female warriors who uses muscles and brains and not sex appeal to fight monsters. That too much to ask?

I mean look at the picture I linked. She actually looks like she could wield that sword and not someone you want to **** with.

Have you checked out the Asian counterparts to the examples you mentioned (Sigourney, Sarah = Americans...)?

I'm willing to bet they don't fit your expectations either and that's where we're coming from. Their culture as a launching platform for the kinds of games we're getting and will be getting.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

That lady should NOT have breasts.  :T  The fact that she does kind of weirds me out.  I mean, I bet medieval implant technology is REALLY primitive and gross and unsanitary.

For what it's worth, GW2 impresses the heck out of me because the female Charr don't even HAVE breasts (Not visibly, anyway).  It's like 'Hey!  I'm a big angry cat lady, but I don't have human boobs because that's weird.".  The Norn women aren't toooo bad.  Not quite as muscular as what you posted, but a far cry from the average wispy waif girl (Which shows up even in American MMOs)

I thought the Gon Blade & Soul female looks kind of buff... (Until you compare her to the MALE version, in which case you realize she's a reedy little twig)

Also, the Eastern media industry has plenty of female badasses that actually use muscles and brains vs. sex appeal.  Just because you haven't seen the specific examples doesn't mean they don't exist.

I mean, look at the Western media industry, you pointed to a couple examples, but they're by far and away in the minority compared to the eye candy sorts.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I have to agree with OP. Tera just looks BEAUTIFUL. I think Tera > GW2. Maybe ANet has not show enough. But this is just... wow.

Originally posted by Meowhead

That lady should NOT have breasts.  :T  The fact that she does kind of weirds me out.  I mean, I bet medieval implant technology is REALLY primitive and gross and unsanitary.

For what it's worth, GW2 impresses the heck out of me because the female Charr don't even HAVE breasts (Not visibly, anyway).  It's like 'Hey!  I'm a big angry cat lady, but I don't have human boobs because that's weird.".  The Norn women aren't toooo bad.  Not quite as muscular as what you posted, but a far cry from the average wispy waif girl (Which shows up even in American MMOs)

I thought the Gon Blade & Soul female looks kind of buff... (Until you compare her to the MALE version, in which case you realize she's a reedy little twig)

Also, the Eastern media industry has plenty of female badasses that actually use muscles and brains vs. sex appeal.  Just because you haven't seen the specific examples doesn't mean they don't exist.

I mean, look at the Western media industry, you pointed to a couple examples, but they're by far and away in the minority compared to the eye candy sorts.

Yeah I always thought it was screwed up that races that obviously are not human, yet have perfectly shaped human female breasts. I mean does lionesses have human looking breasts? Does even monkeys? No, so the devs need to stop put human sex appeal on fictional races that are clearly not human but more animal like, like the Charr you mentioned. It is just weird and shows how immature the artist is (or his perceived targetted audience).

And yes, western media also portrays female warriors like eye candy for men, which I already mentioned and it sucks (almost) as much. 

• Originally posted by YamotaUse WOMEN models for ***** sake! Like this:

Please take away your western crap design from here. Is really ugly and disgusting. I wont have realism in a fantasy mmmorpg in the first place, expecially is a easter mmo.
    But if you think that the art break your immersion simply you should go play another game that suit better your tastes like Aoc.

Go try Rift or Sw tor. Rift is the western game you are looking for because is more recent.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Yeah I always thought it was screwed up that races that obviously are not human, yet have perfectly shaped human female breasts. I mean does lionesses have human looking breasts? Does even monkeys? No, so the devs need to stop put human sex appeal on fictional races that are clearly not human but more animal like, like the Charr you mentioned. It is just weird and shows how immature the artist is (or his perceived targetted audience).

And yes, western media also portrays female warriors like eye candy for men, which I already mentioned and it sucks (almost) as much. 

The whole Charr females have no breasts things didn't really leap out at me until somebody showed me the female Worgen and I was like 'Ugh.  The guys look sort of feral and wolfish, the women look... ugh.'.

... and I was just saying that the right sort of Eastern media portrays some pretty bad ass, even muscular female warriors.  Not so much the movies, but then again, the whole Eastern movie industry tends to be pretty bad, haha.  (Plus there's even less muscular Asian women than there are Caucasian ones. :D )

Just off the top of my head, the mangas Airmaster and AIKI both have muscular females... and hey, I'm not even out of the letter A yet. ;) 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I am very very impressed! Looks great and has that polished feel to it.

When is the launch of an open or closed beta in english ?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Amannas

This thread reminded me of sth i was wondering a few days ago..

Now don't get me wrong,am waiting for this one myself,i will be pre-ordering it in fact..i do however need to ask..we covered the battle system,fine..yes,sounds wicked..we covered the fact that mobs have (apparently) some sort of an AI,rather than being the typical 'dumb' i-charge-straight-at -you-got-one-offensive-ability mobs..all good..so why have i not seen a single video portraying a toon,of any class,fighting a mob with these 'tactics' they have been telling us about all this time? There is this site dedicated to Tera,has tons of uploaded videos from Korean Betas,for all classes and level ranges as well..yet..havent seen this..all vids show the typical toon stances,wherein toons,typically,shoot mobs off..where is the actively blocking+dodging,do this just so cause mob acts thus,etc etc? Strikes me as weird,this ommission..yes plenty of vids,but none that depict this..assuming tactics here isnt a mere euphemism,i'd have expected some 10 min vid showing just how an under leveled priest say,manages a 'red' world boss..or sth similar- 

My sincere apologies if i am missing something here..and if i am,someone pls point me to the appropriate link,would be much appreciated :)

I'm sorry I'm not buying this.

Can you please link the "vids" you have seen so far?

Players have to pay attention to visual cues. If they see the mob preparing an attack then they better get ready to move out of the way/dodge/block or eat the damage.

I've nothing to 'sell' nblitz,so it's well you are not 'buying it'...you will excuse me for posing an honest question,i will make sure i consult you in private before daring such in the next time :)

Euxaristo poli gia to info Skoupidi :)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

This thread reminded me of sth i was wondering a few days ago..

Now don't get me wrong,am waiting for this one myself,i will be pre-ordering it in fact..i do however need to ask..we covered the battle system,fine..yes,sounds wicked..we covered the fact that mobs have (apparently) some sort of an AI,rather than being the typical 'dumb' i-charge-straight-at -you-got-one-offensive-ability mobs..all good..so why have i not seen a single video portraying a toon,of any class,fighting a mob with these 'tactics' they have been telling us about all this time? There is this site dedicated to Tera,has tons of uploaded videos from Korean Betas,for all classes and level ranges as well..yet..havent seen this..all vids show the typical toon stances,wherein toons,typically,shoot mobs off..where is the actively blocking+dodging,do this just so cause mob acts thus,etc etc? Strikes me as weird,this ommission..yes plenty of vids,but none that depict this..assuming tactics here isnt a mere euphemism,i'd have expected some 10 min vid showing just how an under leveled priest say,manages a 'red' world boss..or sth similar- 

My sincere apologies if i am missing something here..and if i am,someone pls point me to the appropriate link,would be much appreciated :)

I'm sorry I'm not buying this.

Can you please link the "vids" you have seen so far?

Players have to pay attention to visual cues. If they see the mob preparing an attack then they better get ready to move out of the way/dodge/block or eat the damage.

I've nothing to 'sell' nblitz,so it's well you are not 'buying it'...you will excuse me for posing an honest question,i will make sure i consult you in private before daring such in the next time :)

Euxaristo poli gia to info Skoupidi :)

+1 for dodging my question.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by ircaddicts

clearly you have not seen guild wars 2 then as it looks better than this does.

GW2's art style may look better, but in terms of technical graphics it doesnt come close. Just watch this in HD:

Have to admit that graphics in that video look very damn good. Still nothing really groundbreaking(gameplay wise) from Tera and I hate the art style. And please don't tell me aiming and doging is groundbreaking.....

The frenetic style of gameplay seems alittle much to me, I get tired just watching these videos! Agree that the world looks pretty good, hate the mob-style though, many of them look just insanely over-the-top. Might be fun to try, don't know if I'd subscribe though.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

The thig is Yamota is that (taking from another post of yours) it's not about immersion. It's about Aesthetic and "concept".

You are trying to apply a certain set of criteria and preferences to something that is not going for "immersion" and reality.

Getting back to the above post, my girlfriend is Chinese (American Chinese, born right here in Massachussetts) and there are times (especially now in the winter) that you would mistake her for being a tall kid when bundled up. If she was slightly shorter (she is 5'3") she would be mistaken for a 7 year old when in winter garb). (shivers when thinking of it)

But summer comes around and she's wearing her yoga pants and this hard to explain semi transparent top that is just a light bit of fabric that has no back and is tied by slim piece of string across her shoulder bladesand  then one realizes "oh I get it, she IS a Woman!"

I've dated her for several years and I've come to understand more about Asian culture and their aesthetic simply by being exposed to her family and many of the things her siblings and Asian American friends watch/listen to, etc.

From seeing some of the Jpop/Jrock/Krock bands and looking at these Korean Soap opera shows that her sister watches a very clear aesthetic emerges where celebrating the feminine isn't a bad thing.

you are looking at things through western eyes and trying to apply your western aesthetic and tastes to their (for lack of a better term) art trends and not really seeing it through their eyes.

I recall a time a few weeks ago when were were at this Vietnamese place in Harvard Square when this japanese family comes in. The son looked like a Japanese pop star. But the clothes, how his hair was done, all weighed a bit on the feminine. But I have no doubt that when looked at by some he wouldn't be seen as a "woman" but as a young sexy male.

For instance my girlfriend's sister and friends are all smitten with the lead singer of a band called bucktick.

Imagine my surprise.

But it's all about some image and aesthetic that I can't tie into. There is definitely a celebrtion of the feminine.

The picture you posted is everywhere as immersioin killing as some female warrior in Tera. And completely unrealistic.

Probably because it looks like a man. Have you ever seen a fit woman who is active? They don't get that large and muscular. As a matter of fact a woman needs to seriously push herself  to become that beefy.

Eastern games should not be looked at through western eyes and sensibilities. One may not like them (no harm there) but there is a different sense of design going on that really does align with a different way of thinking.

As far as Tera's over the top sexuality I would say that Conan is equally over the top but just uses a dfferent art design and sensibilities. Both kind of tie into an adolescent indulgence. That's not a criticism but an observation. I personally have no problem with "adolescent indulgence" if kept in balance.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

The thig is Yamota is that (taking from another post of yours) it's not about immersion. It's about Aesthetic and "concept".

You are trying to apply a certain set of criteria and preferences to something that is not going for "immersion" and reality.

Getting back to the above post, my girlfriend is Chinese (American Chinese, born right here in Massachussetts) and there are times (especially now in the winter) that you would mistake her for being a tall kid when bundled up. If she was slightly shorter (she is 5'3") she would be mistaken for a 7 year old when in winter garb). (shivers when thinking of it)

But summer comes around and she's wearing her yoga pants and this hard to explain semi transparent top that is just a light bit of fabric that has no back and is tied by slim piece of string across her shoulder bladesand  then one realizes "oh I get it, she IS a Woman!"

I've dated her for several years and I've come to understand more about Asian culture and their aesthetic simply by being exposed to her family and many of the things her siblings and Asian American friends watch/listen to, etc.

From seeing some of the Jpop/Jrock/Krock bands and looking at these Korean Soap opera shows that her sister watches a very clear aesthetic emerges where celebrating the feminine isn't a bad thing.

you are looking at things through western eyes and trying to apply your western aesthetic and tastes to their (for lack of a better term) art trends and not really seeing it through their eyes.

I recall a time a few weeks ago when were were at this Vietnamese place in Harvard Square when this japanese family comes in. The son looked like a Japanese pop star. But the clothes, how his hair was done, all weighed a bit on the feminine. But I have no doubt that when looked at by some he wouldn't be seen as a "woman" but as a young sexy male.

For instance my girlfriend's sister and friends are all smitten with the lead singer of a band called bucktick.

Imagine my surprise.

But it's all about some image and aesthetic that I can't tie into. There is definitely a celebrtion of the feminine.

The picture you posted is everywhere as immersioin killing as some female warrior in Tera. And completely unrealistic.

Probably because it looks like a man. Have you ever seen a fit woman who is active? They don't get that large and muscular. As a matter of fact a woman needs to seriously push herself  to become that beefy.

Eastern games should not be looked at through western eyes and sensibilities. One may not like them (no harm there) but there is a different sense of design going on that really does align with a different way of thinking.

As far as Tera's over the top sexuality I would say that Conan is equally over the top but just uses a dfferent art design and sensibilities. Both kind of tie into an adolescent indulgence. That's not a criticism but an observation. I personally have no problem with "adolescent indulgence" if kept in balance.

I can accept the rest of your reasoning as it makes sense. However I take great offense at the red highlighted text. I know several females who are cops, firemans and one is a amature weightlifter and I can guarrantee you that they look similar to that picture I posted (except they got more fat under their skin so you cant see their muslces as clearly).

Looks like a man? You can clearly see by her body build that it is a women (her hips, legs, breast etc) and her arms are very remiscient of a proffesional athlete that require upper body strength, such as a pole vaulter.

Remember we are talking about WARRIORS here, not stairmaster chicks that you see at the gym. The closest you would get in modern life would be a proffesional athlete which needs strong upper body. So please, no crap about females who actually work on their strength "look like me". That is offensive and sexist to say.

Here is a real picture of a professional athlete:

• Originally posted by Yamota

Is useless that you continue to post pictures of ugly and muscular women, Tera will never change and will never want to be this. You should give up and move to another game and stop insulting asian culture with this arrogant western attitude. Respect people and other cultures in the first place.

• charoscharos Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by kdchan

Is useless that you continue to post pictures of ugly and muscular women, Tera will never change and will never want to be this. You should give up and move to another game and stop insulting asian culture with this nonsense.

Agreed if u have a wird fetish for muscular women there are websites for that (i think)

p.s. Yamota can u even see a difrence between a body builder and a athlete?

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Is useless that you continue to post pictures of ugly and muscular women, Tera will never change and will never want to be this. You should give up and move to another game and stop insulting asian culture with this arrogant western attitude. Respect people and other cultures in the first place.

God kdchan stop raging. TERA already has women like that in the Female Aman. It's not an insult to asian culture at all, he'd just prefer to have them more like warriors than twigs. Calm down.

Sup.

• Originally posted by SomnicideGod kdchan stop raging. TERA already has women like that in the Female Aman. It's not an insult to asian culture at all, he'd just prefer to have them more like warriors than twigs. Calm down.

I'm calm. But he is looking for a game with muscular and ugly women, Tera is not and will never be so what's the point in this? This Q_Q make no sense at all, seems more a hate and rage toward asian culture because they have a different taste in art. If i don't like a particular game for my personal reasons i simply move on and go for something else, there are so much choices around and more will come.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by SomnicideGod kdchan stop raging. TERA already has women like that in the Female Aman. It's not an insult to asian culture at all, he'd just prefer to have them more like warriors than twigs. Calm down.

I'm calm. But he is looking for a game with muscular and ugly women, Tera is not and will never be so what's the point in this? There is no point and this Q_Q has no sense at all. Seems more a hate and rage toward asian culture because they have a different taste in art. If i don't like something i simply move on, there are so much choices around and more will come.

Ah...but these forums are for PVP.....

ER, you lost.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Daitengu

If you actually look at a lot of asian women, you'll find they tend to be the size and shape of teenaged white girls.  I've seen a 30 yr old 4' 10" Vietnamese lady, wear a school girl outfit for Halloween, and I gotta say I felt like a pedo.  Asians just tend to be on the short side and they age very well compared to other ethnic groups.

The thing is that the models DONT look like asian women but rather white, often blonde, girls with typical round eyes, which makes it even more disturbing.

It's a typical difference in culture. If you asked an asian to draw a white woman, you would get an shorter thin bodied woman  with big eyes, and blonde  or red hair. Which tends to look like a minor. If you as a white guy to draw an asian you get a taller meater woman with thin eyes and black hair based on his own sensabilities. it's like swapping ethnic heads. Both are wrong, but when you grow up with a particular build of people you tend to develop particular sensabilities towards that group.  If you've seen thousands of different women from all over the world like you can on the net, you would better understand this.

I'm personally wondering why must you try to force your tastes on other people? I'n half Vietnamese and grew up with that culture, I think it looks just fine.  I also went to school where 90% of the population was white, so I get that asthetic point of view too. You really need to hang out with people of other ethnicity more.

Originally posted by SomnicideGod kdchan stop raging. TERA already has women like that in the Female Aman. It's not an insult to asian culture at all, he'd just prefer to have them more like warriors than twigs. Calm down.

I'm calm. But he is looking for a game with muscular and ugly women, Tera is not and will never be so what's the point in this? This Q_Q make no sense at all, seems more a hate and rage toward asian culture because they have a different taste in art. If i don't like a particular game for my personal reasons i simply move on and go for something else, there are so much choices around and more will come.

Ugly? Hey just because you like the young teenage girls models of TERA does not mean mature, female athletes are ugly. 

And I have heard this stupid argument: if you dont like it then move on. Last time I checked this is an independent forum so I can damn well post that I dont preciate the teenage girl models of TERA.

And hate against asian culture? Hey if you cant stand criticism then dont visit forums, here people are allowed to express their opinions.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Why can't we have a healthy looking woman? Not that best in the picture a couple posts up. You know one that doesnt do steroids and does not have an Adam''s apple?

Originally posted by charos

Is useless that you continue to post pictures of ugly and muscular women, Tera will never change and will never want to be this. You should give up and move to another game and stop insulting asian culture with this nonsense.

Agreed if u have a wird fetish for muscular women there are websites for that (i think)

p.s. Yamota can u even see a difrence between a body builder and a athlete?

I dont have any fetiches for muscular women, I just know women who actually have to have upper body strength and I can guarantee you that they look more than the pictures I posted than young teenage girls. Which is the point I am trying to make.

Btw your question makes no sense, since body builders ARE athletes. Besides, none of the pictures I posted are of body builders.

This discussion has been closed.