Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There isnt a single MMO that holds a candle...

Comments

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by Somnicide

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by ircaddicts

clearly you have not seen guild wars 2 then as it looks better than this does.

GW2's art style may look better, but in terms of technical graphics it doesnt come close. Just watch this in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIJQFQWnUQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrpJvm3bVg

Have to admit that graphics in that video look very damn good. Still nothing really groundbreaking(gameplay wise) from Tera and I hate the art style. And please don't tell me aiming and doging is groundbreaking.....

It is actually. It's been done better than any other MMO has hands down. But you'll see for yourself if/when you try it. Open Beta will be free of course.

This is one of the things that interests me greatly about TERA - the combat.  I've enjoyed the action-style combat in Vindictus and DCUO, but don't think that either is a particularly good MMORPG.  TERA looks like it has better combat, AND is a deeper MMO than either, which to me would be a good thing.

Of course, I haven't played TERA at all so far, so I'm not making any predictions on whether or not I'll like it.  It looks good, though.

I would have to say just from what I've seen of TERAs combat, its still second place in my book in comparison with DCUO.  Just watching the videos I see just as much running as I do attacking,  and while some might call it being "tactical"  I see the same moves being used, in the same manner, with a long hiatus in between attacks.  Every video I've seen of TERA looks like this.  I will likely play the game just because the combat still looks fun,  but the combat in no way looks better than the fast paced reactive combat of DCUO. 

Since i have played both games.I have to say that DCUO combat felt a lot more fast paced than Tera's,i felt a lot of times losing control of the moves i wanted my character to do.Anyway have to say that i enjoyed Tera's combat a lot more, but you can't know if you don't try it out for yourself.

Originally posted by pauly6478

So basically this is Aion with an aiming reticle

Sad Sad Sad

Ye and guild wars is Rift with more public quests.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Yamota

If you are not going to play a slideshow then screenshots does not tell the whole story. Show us an HD movie, then we can talk.

I already did, but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFFX66Y2rc

Sup.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by Kuppa

GW2's art style may look better, but in terms of technical graphics it doesnt come close. Just watch this in HD:

Have to admit that graphics in that video look very damn good. Still nothing really groundbreaking(gameplay wise) from Tera and I hate the art style. And please don't tell me aiming and doging is groundbreaking.....

It is actually. It's been done better than any other MMO has hands down. But you'll see for yourself if/when you try it. Open Beta will be free of course.

This is one of the things that interests me greatly about TERA - the combat.  I've enjoyed the action-style combat in Vindictus and DCUO, but don't think that either is a particularly good MMORPG.  TERA looks like it has better combat, AND is a deeper MMO than either, which to me would be a good thing.

Of course, I haven't played TERA at all so far, so I'm not making any predictions on whether or not I'll like it.  It looks good, though.

I would have to say just from what I've seen of TERAs combat, its still second place in my book in comparison with DCUO.  Just watching the videos I see just as much running as I do attacking,  and while some might call it being "tactical"  I see the same moves being used, in the same manner, with a long hiatus in between attacks.  Every video I've seen of TERA looks like this.  I will likely play the game just because the combat still looks fun,  but the combat in no way looks better than the fast paced reactive combat of DCUO. 

That's what's great about having several games to choose from, because opinions differ on what each person likes better.

To me, a faster pace does not equal better, or "more skill required".  Part of the "fast pace" of DCUO includes autotargeting, skills that automatically "jump" you to your target, and autofacing upon skill use.

Obviously, I've not played TERA, so I can't be certain, but the combat in TERA does look more tactical, and from what I've seen it appears that it does less things automatically for you (though I know there are some targetted skills in the game).  Perhaps someone here that's played can correct me if I'm off base with this assumption.

It also appears that TERA has more depth, in that it has at least a couple of things more than just combat, combat, and more combat, which is pretty much all DCUO offers.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to trying TERA.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by pauly6478

So basically this is an MMO with an aiming reticle and breathtaking graphics.

Sad Sad Sad

Fixed that for you bro.

Having played both i can say that the combat system of Tera is better than DCUO, the only combat system that i can think is better than Tera is from Continent of the Ninth.

I liked a ton the VG gfx, but the Tera ones are vastly superior, anyway VG had ( or have because isnt closed yet ) a much better world

feeling than Tera, it was a better world than most of the MMO's in the market, that was his stronger point imo.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

It looks really great.

Still, I think GW2 looks better. I could be wrong, but I also have the feeling based on the screenshots and footage I've seen that TERA  will be a mix of high and low levels of texture and detail, a bit like Aion was, with very detailed character models (up to even very subtle changes in facial expression and lively animation) but the environment of varying levels of detail.

So, personally I find GW2 looking better than TERA, it looks catching though image

I think TERA is more powerful in terms of game engine, being Unreal 3 and all that shizzles, BUT Guild Wars 2 wins much more in the Art style points.....image

And why do people keep calling TERA "anime" graphics? TERA's buildings and trees so really really realistic? And the character model are just more Eastern influence Fantasy genre, honestly look at an anime and come back to say TERA got a very 'anime' style........

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by xKingdomx

It looks really great.

Still, I think GW2 looks better. I could be wrong, but I also have the feeling based on the screenshots and footage I've seen that TERA  will be a mix of high and low levels of texture and detail, a bit like Aion was, with very detailed character models (up to even very subtle changes in facial expression and lively animation) but the environment of varying levels of detail.

So, personally I find GW2 looking better than TERA, it looks catching though image

I think TERA is more powerful in terms of game engine, being Unreal 3 and all that shizzles, BUT Guild Wars 2 wins much more in the Art style points.....image

And why do people keep calling TERA "anime" graphics? TERA's buildings and trees so really really realistic? And the character model are just more Eastern influence Fantasy genre, honestly look at an anime and come back to say TERA got a very 'anime' style........

We can't really say which game has the more powerful engine considering all we know about the one Anet is using is that it is their own. For all we know Anet's engine is better than any other engine out there.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

My thoughts exactly. There's plenty of games out that have actual anime style, with and without cell shading, for people to not get it confused with eastern fantasy.

It'd be like me calling CoD cartoon style because of GI Joe.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by romanator0

It looks really great.

We can't really say which game has the more powerful engine considering all we know about the one Anet is using is that it is their own. For all we know Anet's engine is better than any other engine out there.

Well just that Anet never hit me as a very technology pushing development team, they approach a game with more style and ideas then focus on making the game engine a powerhouse......

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Considering TERA's engine is a lagfest with large quantities of players and Anet's supports large WvW combat, i'd go with Anet. Of course this is all speculation and we won't really know for sure for a while.

It looks really great.

Well just that Anet never hit me as a very technology pushing development team, they approach a game with more style and ideas then focus on making the game engine a powerhouse......

I do remember reading a lot time ago that their engine was made by Jeff Strain before he left to make Undead Labs and from what I know of him he is a very tech savvy guy.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRdgKmybhE

Looks pretty nice prolly about the same quality u will have in Aion after 2.5 but its always hard to judge from Videos and Screen-shoots alone most of the time it looks better when u actually play it for yourself so maybe it really is as awesome as OP claims...however if i compare the Videos with what i see when i play FF14 i have to say there is no Comparison at all FF14 wins hand down no questions asked....but again i only saw the Videos so till i actually get a chance to see for myself i cant really compare it...

Graphics alone dont make a good game anyway the combat system sounds promising but again judging by the Videos it doesn't look too awesome be not too far away from the mob roughly face it and u hit... kind of what u do in all MMOs anyway to be able to perform attacks the difference now is that u can still perform it but if u dont face the mob well u dont hit (that's at least how it looked in the Videos).

To me it really only seems like a Fancy new package to the same old system but shiny enough to trick some into believing they actually do something different now.(Again can only judge what i saw maybe i am totally wrong guess ill see once the game releases here)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by rottN

How can you play a game in korean ? :/

maybe he speaks korean? or the korean website has both KR/English content like some KR sites do

Originally posted by rojo6934

maybe he speaks korean? or the korean website has both KR/English content like some KR sites do

Or the computer or browser he is using has a translator in it. I'm using google chrome and it has an auto-translator.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Or the computer or browser he is using has a translator in it. I'm using google chrome and it has an auto-translator.

true

true

There is an english patch from terafans forums.It's not much since its translation is from google,but at least it makes the game more playable in terms of language.

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

This thread reminded me of sth i was wondering a few days ago..

Now don't get me wrong,am waiting for this one myself,i will be pre-ordering it in fact..i do however need to ask..we covered the battle system,fine..yes,sounds wicked..we covered the fact that mobs have (apparently) some sort of an AI,rather than being the typical 'dumb' i-charge-straight-at -you-got-one-offensive-ability mobs..all good..so why have i not seen a single video portraying a toon,of any class,fighting a mob with these 'tactics' they have been telling us about all this time? There is this site dedicated to Tera,has tons of uploaded videos from Korean Betas,for all classes and level ranges as well..yet..havent seen this..all vids show the typical toon stances,wherein toons,typically,shoot mobs off..where is the actively blocking+dodging,do this just so cause mob acts thus,etc etc? Strikes me as weird,this ommission..yes plenty of vids,but none that depict this..assuming tactics here isnt a mere euphemism,i'd have expected some 10 min vid showing just how an under leveled priest say,manages a 'red' world boss..or sth similar- 

My sincere apologies if i am missing something here..and if i am,someone pls point me to the appropriate link,would be much appreciated :)

Originally posted by Amannas

Now don't get me wrong,am waiting for this one myself,i will be pre-ordering it in fact..i do however need to ask..we covered the battle system,fine..yes,sounds wicked..we covered the fact that mobs have (apparently) some sort of an AI,rather than being the typical 'dumb' i-charge-straight-at -you-got-one-offensive-ability mobs..all good..so why have i not seen a single video portraying a toon,of any class,fighting a mob with these 'tactics' they have been telling us about all this time? There is this site dedicated to Tera,has tons of uploaded videos from Korean Betas,for all classes and level ranges as well..yet..havent seen this..all vids show the typical toon stances,wherein toons,typically,shoot mobs off..where is the actively blocking+dodging,do this just so cause mob acts thus,etc etc? Strikes me as weird,this ommission..yes plenty of vids,but none that depict this..assuming tactics here isnt a mere euphemism,i'd have expected some 10 min vid showing just how an under leveled priest say,manages a 'red' world boss..or sth similar- 

My sincere apologies if i am missing something here..and if i am,someone pls point me to the appropriate link,would be much appreciated :)

Don't know about the vids.But, since i had 1 week of expierence with my warrior in Tera till level 33, i can tell you that if i didn't evade or failed to evade their special attacks, i would need to rest after 2-3 mobs.Sure you can just stand there using all your dmg attacks, but you are going to die after the 3rd or 4th mob.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Amannas

I'm sorry I'm not buying this.

Can you please link the "vids" you have seen so far?

Players have to pay attention to visual cues. If they see the mob preparing an attack then they better get ready to move out of the way/dodge/block or eat the damage.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Holy eyecandy batman. The crispness and level of detail is just off the scale. It has the looks, it has the entertaining combat system, it will have world pvp servers and now there's just hoping there will be interesting alternative gameplay options and long term incentives. If so I'll certainly play it.

Also amazed by the closeups. The characters almost look like oil paintings: http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00022-2.jpg

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by skoupidi

If you are not going to play a slideshow then screenshots does not tell the whole story. Show us an HD movie, then we can talk.

Very impressive. But why, oh why, does asian games always have these little teen girl models wielding weapons twice their size? It makes NO sense at all and just looks weird. They got some fetisch with teen girls or wielding huge swords or what?! It is kinda sick imo.

Use WOMEN models for ***** sake! Like this:

I find them funny and cute.And i don't happen to like the orc/troll/goblin/dwarf etc. arstyle at all.

If you cant stand those little girls grouping with you or pawning you in pvp(i loled while picturing this), you could play something like Rift or GW2.There is no point blaming the asians for their artstyle,its their game after all.

Yes I will but it is a shame that you have to take a pass on a game because they use teenage girl models in a high fantasy settings as the female characters. It is neither realistic nor is it very healthy, imo, for adult males to run around looking at scantly cled teenage girls models. It simply breaks immersion to have a 7 feet, 300 pound male next to a 5 foot, 100 pound girl, wielding the same sized sword. It is just stupid.

However I think overall, even in western games, the female models are stupid. They usually look more like a playboy bunny than a female warrior, which is almost as stupid as the asian style.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Daitengu

Very impressive. But why, oh why, does asian games always have these little teen girl models wielding weapons twice their size? It makes NO sense at all and just looks weird. They got some fetisch with teen girls or wielding huge swords or what?! It is kinda sick imo.

If you actually look at a lot of asian women, you'll find they tend to be the size and shape of teenaged white girls.  I've seen a 30 yr old 4' 10" Vietnamese lady, wear a school girl outfit for Halloween, and I gotta say I felt like a pedo.  Asians just tend to be on the short side and they age very well compared to other ethnic groups.

The thing is that the models DONT look like asian women but rather white, often blonde, girls with typical round eyes, which makes it even more disturbing.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by skoupidi

I find them funny and cute.And i don't happen to like the orc/troll/goblin/dwarf etc. arstyle at all.

If you cant stand those little girls grouping with you or pawning you in pvp(i loled while picturing this), you could play something like Rift or GW2.There is no point blaming the asians for their artstyle,its their game after all.

Yes I will but it is a shame that you have to take a pass on a game because they use teenage girl models in a high fantasy settings as the female characters. It is neither realistic nor is it very healthy, imo, for adult males to run around looking at scantly cled teenage girls models. It simply breaks immersion to have a 7 feet, 300 pound male next to a 5 foot, 100 pound girl, wielding the same sized sword. It is just stupid.

However I think overall, even in western games, the female models are stupid. They usually look more like a playboy bunny than a female warrior, which is almost as stupid as the asian style.

Take a deep breath. Step back and stop applying your real life expectations, ethics, morals and whatever else on a game...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Naral

Cannot argue that it is beautiful, but for me I am just not a fan of the anime style. If gameplay rocks I might be persuaded to try swinging a giant axe around though...we'll see.

I totally agree.  I can't get past the anime style.  Like you said,  if the reviews come back positive about the gameplay, I might try it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Check out the female Amani, they're Dragonish humaoids. Finding Screen shots for em is kinda difficult but they look pretty womanly in my opinion... for a Draconid or what ever.  

This discussion has been closed.