Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard speaks (briefly) about new MMO plans

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Social gaming ? Seriously ? Not sounding what the hardcore gamers want to hear.

[Mod Edit - Copyright and Press Material

• Reposting material in its entirety from other sources is against our rules. Quotations from things such as news articles are fine, provided it is cited and (if possible) linked to. We ask others to respect our content and ask our readers do the same for other people's content..]

Link:  http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/blizzard-speaks-briefly-about-new-mmo-plans/

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Expected to not have something competing with their moneytrain's sub base, but rather try to make something to expand overall income with different style. I dont know if that's the best direction if they keep pumping these expansions to the moneytrain that dont add anything, though, it's a design decision too, to not include anything really new and cool which is propably already done and just waits till "omg sub base is shrinking unleash the awesome new aspects NOW!!!11!".

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

And what exactly do hardcore gamers have to do with Blizzard? I'm confused.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Watch it be some kind of facebook rpg lol. Lame...

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

...World of Farmcraft...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...World of Farmcraft...

First thing I thought of when I read it

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I posted this on another site regarding Activisions move to garner a foothold in the "pay as you go" jungle through something new for their CoD series. I think since Activision and Blizzard are the same company that it applies here as well;

"Hold on to your wallets (or credit cards) because we are going to find more ways to get money from our suckers...errr ahhh....customers."

As long as people buy into "Big Gamings" hype, we the customer are only going to suffer.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

of course blizzard are not going to come out and say "oh well we think our new mmo will kill wow", they are going to say they can co-exist so that they can hold onto as many wow subscribers as possible until they release their next mmo. giving people an impression that their full attention is not on wow would make people wonder about the future of their subscriptions. you can clearly see wow's quality slipping in the last 6 months or so, the original wow staff are no longer developing content for wow.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Gruug

I posted this on another site regarding Activisions move to garner a foothold in the "pay as you go" jungle through something new for their CoD series. I think since Activision and Blizzard are the same company that it applies here as well;

"Hold on to your wallets (or credit cards) because we are going to find more ways to get money from our suckers...errr ahhh....customers."

As long as people buy into "Big Gamings" hype, we the customer are only going to suffer.

Why does that sounds like Smedley?

Activisions motto sounds like "pay through your nose", I wish Blizz never merged with those guys.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by nerovipus32

of course blizzard are not going to come out and say "oh well we think our new mmo will kill wow", they are going to say they can co-exist so that they can hold onto as many wow subscribers as possible until they release their next mmo. giving people an impression that their full attention is not on wow would make people wonder about the future of their subscriptions. you can clearly see wow's quality slipping in the last 6 months or so, the original wow staff are no longer developing content for wow.

Releasing a new Wow would just be stupid. They already have the customers, they could just merge the game with a new engine for less money instead.

No they are aiming for new players this time, competing with yourself is stupid and Blizzard are many things but they are not stupid and really know how to get new players.

• shellshockroshellshockro Member UncommonPosts: 20

Great...Gaming is turning into more of a social club. Just what the world needs, more places for all you twats to tweet.

• NipashnakaNipashnaka Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by Loke666

Releasing a new Wow would just be stupid. They already have the customers, they could just merge the game with a new engine for less money instead.

No they are aiming for new players this time, competing with yourself is stupid and Blizzard are many things but they are not stupid and really know how to get new players.

I have a lot of predictions about this game. We'll see if they come true. Although, from what I've heard through the grapevine, they aren't. image

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Loke666

i never said they were going to release a new wow. their new mmo will take alot of players from wow regardless of who it is aimed at just because it says blizzard on the box. thats how fickle gamers are.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

By "social" they could be talking about what we Sandboxers have wanted. Player built cities and the player governments to run them, trade among them, war among them, etc.

Maybe not though, there's a lot of this Facebook stuff going around.

Once upon a time....

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I love how people here think the word social only applies to facebook type websites...you do know socializing and community are one in the same right? What makes you think socializing = farmville? You only have to look so far as to know that Blizzard wants to make a mmo where you are who you are and your rep will be apart of your person. Isn't that what old schoolers and sandboxers been pining for? A mmo where your social skills have a direct effect on your success? Be an ass, get treated like an ass. Be a decent player and watch your progress improve. Putting the social back in community and yet they still protest...go figure.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Ramonski7

I love how people here think the word social only applies to facebook type websites...you do know socializing and community are one in the same right? What makes you think socializing = farmville? You only have to look so far as to know that Blizzard wants to make a mmo where you are who you are and your rep will be apart of your person. Isn't that what old schoolers and sandboxers been pining for? A mmo where your social skills have a direct effect on your success? Be an ass, get treated like an ass. Be a decent player and watch your progress improve. Putting the social back in community and yet they still protest...go figure.

SMDH

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Forums before announcement: "Blizzard is so lame for sucking all social interaction out of MMORPGs by making them single-player!"

Forums after 'social' announcement: "Blizzard is so lame for making social games!"

(Sure, I doubt it's the same individuals saying both of those extremes, but it's still amusing to hear Blizzard criticized for both extremes.  When you're top dog, everyone's gunnin' for ya :P )

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Wow some of you are real good at reading between the lines.  All I got out of it was, "Hi we are a company called Blizzard, and our company name starts with B."

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

LOL

What they are doing have nothing to do with giving player freedom, procedurally generated, expansive, randomized content, originality, open endedness, ability to affect the world or other players, etc... It has nothing to do what "sandboxers want".

What the "social gaming" means, has everything to do with social networks, and viral media, like facebook, twiter, youtube, etc.

They want that "real ID thing", where they connect virtual life to real life. Thats the core design element they couldnt addapt to WOW.

To make money, they need that element, they want to secure that market of real ID, social network on your gaming.

They need that, thats the key for the future, they know that. Thats what he was thinking about when he mentioned about the "cant change because of design".

What it will do for us sandboxers? Lol... nothing. The gaming element of their "real id, community network thing", will be even more of a themepark, with more scripted paths, linearity, tiers, limited-strict choices, strict balancing, etc...  Basically, if they want to multiply their playerbase by many times, they have to water it down and get it every design element even more strict and tightly panoptically controlled.  More people, more human factor, more problems, thats is countered with (en)force design decisions, completelly the opposite of what people want, freedom.

What it will do for the genre? What genre? Our genre died, its been 5 years or so. "Mmorpgs are dead" have 5 years or so, sounds about right.  Anyway, basically, they are going after the facebook crowd, generically speaking. They want domination worldwide, they will offer everything facebook has plus gaming it lacks. Its an easy win for them. They will just go and rake up the money, because they know they stomp any farmville lookalike.

The current WOW crowd will dry and get older, evolve, see things for what they are, quit, or starve for what everybody is starving... wich is basically what the genre stood for 10 years ago. These people will just increase the target audience for that even more. Buts it wont be made by Blizzard.

The new "Blizzard" MMO? They are going for something much bigger, their next incremental step in evolution. They have the money, the structure, the expertise, the vision... everything is layed out for them. But its not what we, gamers already are looking for. Its not being made for US tm. Its been made for non gamers at all. 

They wont compete with WOW. They will be competing with social networks with their new modern day themepark based on real life, with real life people and real ids. A social life simulation never seen before. The potential for socialization will reach its climax through the next Blizzard MMO. People will hang out together despite being physically miles away from each other, think of voip, teamspeak/ventrillo/skype, but with in game avatars, graphics and stuff. Like social network in a GTA game.

You get at home, connect to "the game", and hook up with your friends in a life a like simulation of real world, met new people in game, etc... think 3d sim social network with gta real world + themepark watered down stuff to do. They will be a huge success people will go "how come I never thought of that before", but no, thats obvious, just stupid people dont saw it coming... everybody is tired of designing it for them, you have to not want to see, despite it being in front of your face.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

I used to respect Blizzard back in the diablo 2 and pre diablo 2 era and also warcraft 3 wasnt bad, but I dont anymore. I just dont like what they have become ever since wow hit the streets. And they take god aweful long to release anything.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I wish they could make a sandbox mmorpg.From our expirience Blizzard always pulled out few games but all were succesfull.After wow picturing the so called best theme park game, if there is someone that can make a polished and succesfull sandbox which is missing from market..well.. its them..

The point is i want good games with smooth gameplay.If blizzard or sony or troika games deliver it,i dont give ashit tbh. All i care is playing good games. Some ppl are just blaming blizzard but the issue ehre is games..good games..dont care who will make them..neither should u..

I blamed alot blizzard for not folowing the path in wow,many ppl thought they should as well.. they prefered the instanced phasing ,kill socialize style,kill open world game play..well that was their choise to make millions and they did.. Hmm lets see now how they r going to use the zillions of euros they made..

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

"... So we're kind of taking a step back with all that knowledge to make something that's completely new and fresh," 

I'll hold them to that and expect to be completely disappointed when it isn't completely new.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

SPOILER ALERT: They're still with Activision, so the game is going to blow.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Axehilt

Forums before announcement: "Blizzard is so lame for sucking all social interaction out of MMORPGs by making them single-player!"

Forums after 'social' announcement: "Blizzard is so lame for making social games!"

(Sure, I doubt it's the same individuals saying both of those extremes, but it's still amusing to hear Blizzard criticized for both extremes.  When you're top dog, everyone's gunnin' for ya :P )

Haha, I lol'ed so hard in reading this.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by ironfungus

SPOILER ALERT: They're still with Activision, so the game is going to blow.

So that's why Morhaime said to Bobby Kotick "Screw it", when the latter asked to save his ass by announcing Diablo 3 for 2011  a mere 3 days ago ?

I am quite convinced the seat of Bobby is not so stable as some might think.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

As usual I'm impressed with the amount of assumptions and so called "facts" people can dig out of a quote which actually says incredibly little...