Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead game?

Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Is it time for this?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Comments

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I would say yes . No company pays to develop a game while a lawsuit is in process.

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

Too much money in plot space, caskets, and services.

By the time the lawsuit is settled they may just opt for a cigar box and a small hole in someones backyard.

=D

• TikigodTikigod Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I would say yes . No company pays to develop a game while a lawsuit is in process.

Which would make Ohsnap and Alpha liars then, when they said that development is still ongoing it's just being able to talk or share things that's been clamped down on.

You don't think there's anything amiss? I'm sat here wearing a red and white gingham dress, and army boots, you think that's un-amiss?

Originally posted by Tikigod

Which would make Ohsnap and Alpha liars then, when they said that development is still ongoing it's just being able to talk or share things that's been clamped down on.

Really , you're going to believe their propaganda ? Use a little common sense, man. The game is in litigation , this means all work stops, period. The company will not fund it on the basis, that the out come of litigation is uncertain. Depending on what CM is asking form  the courts. The possiblity of finding some egregious act commited by ND in discovery , will determine how the courts are inclined to act. This could cost them way more then what CM is asking for in the initial suit , not to mention legal fees. It would be dillusional to believe that a company would pump assests that it needs , A : Defend itself . B : Will possible need to settle C: Possiblity of losing said assest , if found to have commited act profound enough to warrant. I'll state right here, right now, they are lying. I called the whole reboot thing a search for money early on . I'll amend it by saying it was most probably an action to cover their asses for the pending law suit as well . THIS GAME IS DONE !  As community emmisary you'll need to come to terms with it. Good luck.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I am clinging tenaciously to the hope that even if things manage to sour even more, that they pawn off the rights to another and it still gets published.  Its one of the few games I was looking forward to playing.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TikigodTikigod Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Tikigod

THIS GAME IS DONE !  As community emmisary you'll need to come to terms with it. Good luck.

I'll come to terms with it when it happens officially.

It's a possibility at the moment yes, but it's hardly as certain and absolute as people like yourself claim.

Going on the public documentation of the case brought to Netdevil, Codemasters want money/investment expenses returnt for failure to be given the source code as price for the game failing to meet a contracted prearranged deadline (One btw Codemasters knew for a long time wouldn't be met as they were even doing F&F Alpha testing months after the documented deadline wasn't met).

If that is all they're after, then it's not the death of the game for certain.

Maybe I am being optimistic, but at the same time since the announced refocus a year ago I've not held high expectations to become overly dramatic when things look bad now.

*shrugs* 

You don't think there's anything amiss? I'm sat here wearing a red and white gingham dress, and army boots, you think that's un-amiss?

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic , if I come across that way , it's because I'm a realist. Saying that , i wanted the game to launch , I was certainly interested in it. However, it's become abundantly clear that it won't , in the forseeable future until the litigation is settled . Unfortunately legal issues can drag on for years .  A which point the longer this drags the more outdated the present work becomes. A which point the the amount of money required to re-invest to launch the game becomes prohibitively expensive.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

I remember in some interview years ago the original Producer Hermann was talking about fast, inexpensive development with a small team.  Now that they seem totally bogged down, I don't think their process is cheap anymore.  That will depend on how big their dev team got, though.

Gazillion just announced this D&D-style F2P browser game.  My guess-of-the-moment is that all this "reboot", "rethink" stuff is because some exec is driving the whole company to make cheapo quickie F2P browser games to make the company some fast money (maybe to pay off lawsuits?), and they're being forced to turn JGE into one of those.

That would be a damn shame.  What they had showing in 2008 looked like a game I'd want to play.  Very sad.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Vapourware

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Comes out at the end of the year guys, chill.

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by Sfaliara

Vaporware

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

That's what they said in 2009!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

OK, I've got something.  Guy I know at NetDevil changed his LinkedIn to say he's not at NetDevil anymore.  I mailed him to ask what was up, and he says there were layoffs.

Guess which team got hit hardest?

• FritomanFritoman Member Posts: 59

Yep...those who are hopeful, remain that way, the rest of us will live in reality. It's a shame, was really looking forward to this game.

• I think it's naive to have much hope for the game at this point. It might be released in some shape or form eventually, possibly by a different developer.

• JGEFanboiJGEFanboi Member Posts: 7

As long as Gazillion are not involved in any shape or form it might be a good game.

If they are involved, then the games fucked because that corporation only sees as far as employee name and marketing projections.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

R.I.P.

JGE

It is finally over.  The carrot fell off the stick.  We can all move on.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Yeah I will believe that it will come out when it comes out,  I won't call anything vaporware but I have learned that hoping isn't worth it. Heroes Journey taught me that lesson.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Ragnaven

Yeah I will believe that it will come out when it comes out,  I won't call anything vaporware but I have learned that hoping isn't worth it. Heroes Journey taught me that lesson.

CodeMasters already think it's vaporware and have sued NetDevil because of it...

Originally posted by Reizla

CodeMasters already think it's vaporware and have sued NetDevil because of it...

Actually they sued them because they didn't meet their deadline, the game is not vaporware, it will come out when it comes out.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Actually they sued them because they didn't meet their deadline, the game is not vaporware, it will come out when it comes out.

Their is NetDevil's promised deadline, right? And CodeMaster sued them for the hardware investments they did a year AFTER the NedDevil date has expired, and that's over half a year ago now. To cut it short, it's 18 months overdue already and there's no update whatsoever about the status of JGE whatsoever. Vaporware in my book ;-)

But I'm happy at least one here is having faith in NetDevil to finish JGE one day :p

Their is NetDevil's promised deadline, right? And CodeMaster sued them for the hardware investments they did a year AFTER the NedDevil date has expired, and that's over half a year ago now. To cut it short, it's 18 months overdue already and there's no update whatsoever about the status of JGE whatsoever. Vaporware in my book ;-)

But I'm happy at least one here is having faith in NetDevil to finish JGE one day :p

They have been updating with screenshots the community for some time now, I don't know what they do now but they used to do it weekly...I bet your were screaming vaporware with DF too amirite?

• AndyPrestonAndyPreston Member Posts: 63

Another example of how fanbois should temper their enthusiasm a little. The amount of people on this website who claimed this was the second coming...

• PalingerPalinger Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by AndyPreston

Another example of how fanbois should temper their enthusiasm a little. The amount of people on this website who claimed this was the second coming...

Fanbois? No....Just negative nancys like you.

• mmrbaisitemmrbaisite Member Posts: 61

It is a shame really. And c---masters would sue their own mother if it earned them a nickel.