Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your longest mmo gaming session ever?

Comments

• select20select20 Member Posts: 130

I've done a 13-15 hour session once after coming back from a long break from WoW, that was during early WotLK. Now, I can barely get through a raid without wanting to flip out. I won't even play on days we don't raid. Back in the good ole days of EQ1, i would play 12hour days all the time. I don't know how I did it.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it."

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

Originally posted by Luv_bug

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

57 hours strait once. had to get the world first clear. game was Runes of Magic. and if you were thinking it, no, drugs were not involved. just a crap load of energy drinks. we got the clear and i passed out on the desk.

I honestly don't know how you did that, your neurotransmitters musta been shot!

lol. i was sick for a couple days afterwards. didn't really play for about a week. loggin in, did my dailies and logged off. was just burnt. what's crazy about it, is my wife also plays. she didn't do the whole sesion but she was there for a lot of it. my family was giving me crap for it, and my wife was defending me. :)  telling them that they don't know what kind of dedication goes into getting a clear like that. she's a good chick to have around.

Ya, you definately got a good woman there. Definately a keeper.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

During college I did a 2 day long Planetside session (so about 40'sh hours?) with a bunch of other hardcore freaks.  We barely even functioned with an ability to kill anything towards the end.  Used to play that game an avareage of 6-7 hours. Average session now is 2-3 hours, I'm getting old and require frequent naps lol.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Must have been my first stint on WoW five years ago. No job, no gf and no real world responsibilities.  Loged in on friday at around 3pm loged off on the early hours of monday morning. Probably between 2-3am.  Had bio breaks and food breaks in flight time and crafting. Turned the computer off in the end becouse I started halucinating like I was in Naked Lunch. What a sad tw$t! :)

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by spookydom

Must have been my first stint on WoW five years ago. No job, no gf and no real world responsibilities.  Loged in on friday at around 3pm loged off on the early hours of monday morning. Probably between 2-3am.  Had bio breaks and food breaks in flight time and crafting. Turned the computer off in the end becouse I started halucinating like I was in Naked Lunch. What a sad tw$t! :)

Hahahahaha! Love it hehe

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Just over 28 hours at a launch once. Food and bathroom breaks, but no sleep.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• StrandsStrands Member UncommonPosts: 32

About 48 hours, after unlocking Jedi(Pre-CU SWG).  Passed out fully clothed on my bed, for about 16 hours, woke up and did it again. 

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Rockgod99

After reading some guys "I fail" post about not being able to invest time into a mmo due to real life stuff.

It got me thinking about the old days. Back when i was a younger less stressed out guy I could spend ten hours in front of the PC and it wouldnt bother me and noone would care (besides the GF before she dumpt my behind).

So i wanna ask,  back if your younger days, or even currently... whatever. ...

You know, the funny thing is that back in "the old days" as you call them there have been more older people in the genre than now. For example, in EQ or DAoC you could easily find people in their 40s or 50s. No problem at all, they progressed at a somewhat lower speed (because of real life family or job demands) but noone really cared and those people didn't care too - it was all about the journey and it didn't really matter how many levels or how many items you got in one play session.

Fast forward to now and you have people demanding to "achieve" something in a play session and they complain if they don't get a level or a purple item in half an hour.

To answer your question: longest session was a particular relic raid in DAoC that started at 10 am on a Sunday morning and ended at 2 am on Monday. Yes, I know, it's not really fair to start a relic raid at 10 am - anyway, we got the relic. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• TaristarTaristar Member UncommonPosts: 34

2 days in EQ hunting for the ever elusive Shiney Metallic Robes.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Good question. My longest mmo gaming session was back in 2004 or 2005 playing Everquest. I'll never forget it. It was christmas day and I was absolutely sick. I had the worst cold ever. I logged in at noon and played my 70 wizard. I was imedaitely set a tell and a friend from Grey Hawke asked me if I could help him do his shaman epic weapon 1.5 quest. He needed one more raid to obtain it. Took an easy 5 mins to down him. Was super easy. Before everyone disbanded I asked if we could get my first mob done of my epic 1.5 quest. After we downed him, I knew I didn't want to finish until I have obtained my prize!

Without going into a novel, I remember fighting the huge gargoyel in Wall of Slaughter, Took about an hour and a few wipes to down him. I was in a diverse group of nearly good people from the top 5 guilds server wide, so it was pretty orginized. After that, half of that raid went to Scarlet Desert to down another raid mob. That one was suppose to be the easiest of the 3, however, that took almost 5 hours because we kept on wiping. Nearly almost all of the well geared top raiders on the server had other raids to do with their guilds. There was alot of players who never done that raid and people leaving and staying ect and lower levels. That guy was a tedious fight but what a relief when we downed him. After that, I remember, I had to gain my 300 skill rating for tailoring I believe? All in all, I finished my epic weapon quest in 23 hours straight. I was top ten on my server to do that I believe. Believe you me, I had many favors to give back. Miss the days of Eq, no other mmo can captivate like that.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

The first 3 weeks of EQ I had many play sessions over 36 hours and when DAOC released close to the same. The single longest is a hard call. I would guess during the EQ days. I can see some long play sessions with RIFT live on the horizon but doubt I can match the early days of EQ.

• raamozraamoz Member UncommonPosts: 114

Longest gaming session without sleep ever was on a lan party a few years back. I was up for almost 3 and a half day before I got around 3-4 hours of sleep. Sleeping on a floor made of concrete isn't exactly comfortable. 2 days later I got home and slept for 34 hours. Worst feeling ever waking up having skipped a whole day, it totally messes your mind up. Also can't remember what the heck I played there, probably a lot of CS 1.6, Stepmania since those were some of the contests there.

And my average gaming sessions nowadays is around 12-15 hours a day. Don't go to a university and I'm jobless so got lots of time for now.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm thinking 18 hours in Precu SWG.  I only work 3 days a week so I can get quite a bit of gaming time in if I want.

These days I get maybe 1 or 2 hours every other day, or maybe even less. Too bored to play anything right now, so I'm investing more time into other hobbies.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Deivos

Longest single run on a game would be about 36-ish hours in Panetside.

Started on a friday afternoon. Ended sunday night. No sleep in between, only breaks for bathroom and to grab snacks. Maintained the same group and platoon the entire time.

Almost took the entire planet that weekend as Vanu.

Never repeated that with any other game, and never really go the opportunity to do that again with Planetside. That was in it's first year of release.

Now I tend to dedicate six or so hours to a mmo if I'm to play it. Don't really bother if I can't carve out a solid block of time.

EDIT: Guess it was closer to 42 hours or so in retrospect...

Yeah I didn't go quite that long but I was certainly in the 26-30 hour range a few times in Planetside.

Had plenty of months where basically all I did was game (both for Planetside and WOW) but they tended to be more reasonable session lengths (more meaning I slept normally than that they were actually reasonable) rather than marathons.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• sumnayinsumnayin Member UncommonPosts: 19

Im not sure how I fair(didnt read every post) but im sure its up there.....during middle school summer vacation I played UO for 60 hours straight only taking breaks to grab more mountain dew and use the bathroom....id assume i ate but I doubt it was anything substantial..

Being the only GM Tamer on a server with GM Mage, Swordsman, Magic Resist in addition to that was the most fun ill ever have in a game....of course that was pre Karma system so it actually meant something.

New games just dont compare, in addition to the fact that im alot older.  Im hoping I can dedicate some time to the new EQ server though.

• kd5ywakd5ywa Member UncommonPosts: 29

I had a party in FFXI go for over 40 hours once back in 2004/5. I know I played a bit before the party so I'd say pushing close to 50 hours total. I did go take a shower while some of the pt members went back to town to get some food/gear.  Slept most of the day after the party.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Rockgod99

After reading some guys "I fail" post about not being able to invest time into a mmo due to real life stuff.

It got me thinking about the old days. Back when i was a younger less stressed out guy I could spend ten hours in front of the PC and it wouldnt bother me and noone would care (besides the GF before she dumpt my behind).

So i wanna ask,  back if your younger days, or even currently... whatever. How long was your longest play session?

Also just for comparisons sake how long do your sessions last now on average lol?

I remember playing EQ for a day and a half (around 35 hours) without sleep, going on Mountain dew and without shuting my PC off even once.

ONly took one break for a Bio break.

And now with four kids, a wife, a pain in the ass needy brother and a ton of needy friends I average about an hour or two :(

How about you guys?

Damn!!  35 hours?1?  I did 19 hours in High Hold Pass going from high 18's to low 20's.  The other long one I remember was a 6-7 hour guild raid on a dungeon in Shadows of Luclin (a month or so after it came out) followed by 3 hours of looking for a Necro to summon our corpses out of the bottom of the dungeon where our entire guild lay dead :)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Everquest as well. I had a kick ass group in Plane of Nightmare and was grinding through my lower 60's - this was '02 or '03 and groups were hard enough to come by, and this one was going steady even as people came and left and I didn't want to leave. It was a day and a half at least. Maybe we were grouped together =)

I know I've spent too many 10+ hour sessions for my own health, and way too many all nighters to count.

I still will occasionally put in a 2-3 hour session, and once in a blue moon 4 or 5 hour on a weekend when it's raining outside. Most of the time it's just hop on Vindictus to pop out the dailies, and occasionally I still sign on to EQ to talk to some friends.

Although with no life, a job I can call sick into, no girlfriend, a heated basement, a wrist support, a bedpan, and a fresh pack of Depends, I'm ready for when that "Next Big Thing" finally does come out.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Longest one sitting would have to be approx 32 hours back in DAoC. Was on my stealther running front line surveillance and relaying intel back to my raid leader for what me and 4 others on my team seen going on. We ran a full 24 hrs of behind enemy lines surveillance in prep for the big relic raid, and then joined in when the main forces pushed out to relay the responses and make troop movement adjustments as needed, as things developed. Took all 3 that day, and I earned my position as leader of the crew (stealther team). Worth every minute if ya ask me.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Dunno, probably 16 hours or so.

I never thought about it.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

longest playtime is around 24hours.

Normal i play around 1 to 3 hours on week days (about 3 days a week) and (if i have the time) i play for about 5hours on weekends.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I once spent  64 hours waiting for cleric epic drop in eq there was a que of 4 in front of me. Then another time i spent 48 hours waiting for a griffen to pop for my haste mask part in ice clad in eq. They were the days lol.

• NythiousNythious Member Posts: 32

67-70 hours camping Stormfeather in EQ on my Ranger for the haste clickie eye patch. 

Everything started getting a little fuzzy and my whole body smelled like coffee. . . I forgot really at what hour I fell asleep.. All I remember is waking up in my bed.  Gogo Teenage years of EQ. 

Gaming is serious business.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Have to add my story to Everquest. Camping for the JBoots and Warrior epic. ZzzZzZ

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I never played MMOs when I was young. Heck, I didn't even get my first computer until I was in my mid 30's, and now I'm in my mid 40's and have only played MMOs for a few years. Originally I swore up and down I'd never play a pay to play game. I had no clue there was such a thing as a f2p MMO. Then a friend of mine convinced me to play WoW and since then I've played a handful of other MMOs. My longest play session is probably somewhere in the realm of 8 to 10 hours. But normally I play 2 or 3 hours at a time. Since I was in my 40's by the time I even started playing MMOs, I never saw the appeal of staying up all night to play or anything. I enjoy gaming, but not that much.