Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

In an effort to cut down on the number of threads on the same topic, please use this thread to discuss how these games are similar/different in any form, and your opinion of how it is/how it is not a copy of the other. Any "WoW Killer" / "Rift vs WoW" / "This is like WoW" threads outside this one will be closed and/or deleted and the user warned for creating multiple threads.

Please remember to follow the Rules of Conduct when posting.

Comments

• KovenantKovenant Member Posts: 7

This Games Pawns WOW.

• AndirAndir Member Posts: 232

First off, I'm enjoying the game... but there are comparisons to be made.  Yes, I know some of these come from other games as well, but they are all inclusive to WoW.  Most (alll?) of these are great features and I'm glad they are there.

I'm going to compare the General Interface and the Chat Window.  The easy ones since nobody else has.

General Interface:

It starts off looking just like WoW.  Same hotkeys, same quest log, same paperdoll (more or less), the hotbars even look like they use the same square outline.  They seem to have lifted the bag interface concept as well (I wish they would have pulled Baudbag addon instead.)  Merchants have the same layout, and tabs along the bottom (ala: WoW)

However, The interface can be moved around easily.  It uses a docking type display that allows the interface to grow and shrink based on what is visible.  It can also be scaled, globally or individually (This can have side effects [button sizes], which hopefully will be worked out)

Chat Window:

(I put this in it's own category because I'm going to include more than the raw tabbed chat interface...)

It looks like WoW, has the same starter tabs, the same sizing "interface" (Click to drag, resizer in the bottom right.)  It uses the same [Item] linking (Shift-click to link  ..  Ctrl-Click to preview) look and feel.  Clicking on names brings up menus to interact with the players in the same manner, with practically the same options.

However .... I'm at a loss as to what Rift does better in this.  I'm not sure there is much more to do though.

I mainly did this so people will not log into Rift and immediately go: "OMG!  It's the same!" ( I did this... /shame)

My response is: "We know it, but that's a good thing.  Here is what they did better though."

There, I started it.  Hopefully in a constructive manner, and hopefully we can all follow suit.  I could have spent some time drawing up a comparison table and all that, but I'm pretty lazy... ;)

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

I would like to turn the tide and ask people that play WoW:

What does WoW do better then Rift?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

So... does that mean we could still make threads like 'Rift is like WAR or LotrO' or 'Rift is a themepark copy'? image

jk, jk

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

To add my two cents, I've enjoyed my brief time in WoW over the span of "launch" until now. My highest character is lvl 36 or so.

The game is fun for me for brief periods of time. Other than that, I don't like its tongue in cheek style and it's rather dry after a long time playing.

Conversely, I really have had a blast in Rift.

So there has to be a difference. Even if it's just in the "flavor" of the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

The Graphics, THe Rift, Invasion & Foothold system, The public grouping, The Soul system, The artifact system, Talking to the other faction, Four save spec slots, No LFG system,  Actual elite camps of mobs in the leveling areas, Relevant world bosses (wow doesnt have world bosses since TBC).

Those are the differences that stand out for me so far.

Oh and the leveling dungeons are challenging... you cant say that about WoW until you get passed level 60 atleast.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

Flavor is a major distinguishing feature for me.

In World of Warcraft, you have tons and tons of pop-culture references and such, to the point where it's possibly funny, but completely immersion breaking. The lore/story in WoW might be interesting, but pretty much since TBC came out, I've had an increasingly hard time getting into it, because I keep getting yanked out of my immersion - by the game itself. Also in terms of flavor, the setting of WoW has moved a bit beyond just "Fantasy" with the inclusion of machines and such. Motorbikes, rocket-"bikes" and all sorts of wonder machines aren't really all that fantasy-ish. I wouldn't call it steampunk either, but more like a later version of fantasy.

In Rift, you still have pop-culture reference, but they're more well-hidden, and they seem to mesh into the world and lore a bit better as well. The lore is fresh and I really like the "no obvious good/bad guy split" approach they've taken to their factions. They're divided more by ideology than race and each side believes they are right in what they do. Speaking regarding the setting, Rift has machines as well - the Defiant faction's defining feature are machines. But these feel more like proper fantasy type machines. Powered by arcane energies and souls (rather than oil and gasoline like in WoW), the Defiant machines seem like what would happen if magicians turned magic into a science, rather than a mystical art.

After so many years of WoW, I think it's refreshing to see a game like WoW that actually works to establish a good setting, and stick to it, rather than breaking my immersion in the story at every possible turn.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Rockgod99

The Graphics, THe Rift, Invasion & Foothold system, The public grouping, The Soul system, The artifact system, Talking to the other faction, Four save spec slots, No LFG system,  Actual elite camps of mobs in the leveling areas, Relevant world bosses (wow doesnt have world bosses since TBC).

Oh and the leveling dungeons are challenging... you cant say that about WoW until you get passed level 60 atleast.

You forgot Ancient Wardstones but most nubs have no idea what thoughs are...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

I played WoW since its beta right up 2 weeks after cataclysm. Alliance for 2 years or so, horde for 4 or so. Each expansion I played a new character to max. In original wow I had a 60 dwarf priest and 60 mage. In TBC I moved to horde and got an orc enhancement shaman to 70. In Lich King I got an 80 orc arms warrior (because I like Swifty videos) and moved the shaman to 80 as resto. I was a guild leader and organizer in original wow (I organized 10 people to join and play wow with me when it launched and we all got to 60 together with most of the original people). So I have a long history in wow. I also have a similar long history in playing dark age of camelot.

I think Rift is the next best medieval fantasy mmorpg that I will play for a long time. Here is why.

Star Wars:TOR is science fiction and is going to hold people to it in a different fashion. You can't really compare laser guns to bows and arrows because you are going to have people that like both.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be free to play so everyone is going to be playing that along with whatever subscription game they are playing at the same time.

A lot of people are tired of world of warcraft like me where world of warcraft is just really the same old stuff just made to look new. A lot of us have been waiting for a dark age of camelot 2 and rift is kindasorta one. The reason it will fit the mold is because, well, it already does for me. I've gotten to level 26 in rift from playing in 2 of the betas. At first I thought it was just hype but the second beta confirmed I really do love rift.

People that have just started mmorpg gaming with wow will obviously not want to play rift because when they started playing wow it was already popular and out for a while and everyone knew blizzard already. All they saw was a polished game from years of polish. Nobody knows Trion. With time Trion is going to become hugely popular and rift will become just as polished depending on if they make enough money to stay in business but it's too late it looks like they already make a killer fortune from preorders.

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Originally posted by Rockgod99

You forgot Ancient Wardstones but most nubs have no idea what thoughs are...

Im sure i missed a few things.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

The paladin class :D

Originally posted by SpandexDroid

The paladin class :D

Nahhh.

Protection paladin vs Warrior Calling Paladin Soul?

Holy paladin vs Cleric Calling Purifier Soul?

Ret Pally vs Shit... Rift has like four versions of a ret pally... 2 in the Cleric calling and two in Warrior.

Edit: Not too be all pro rift, I will say that WoW does the Druid and Shaman really well.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

Absolutely everything. I know that sounds like a copout, but I honestly can't think of a single aspect of Rift that met or exceeded WoW, except maybe graphics, on a high end rig. All aspects of PvP, Questing, the UI, class skills (sheer number, variety, usability, fun factor), overall polish, and  the sheer amount of content (not to mention WoW's content being vastly superior overall).

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

I played WoW since its beta right up 2 weeks after cataclysm. Alliance for 2 years or so, horde for 4 or so. Each expansion I played a new character to max. In original wow I had a 60 dwarf priest and 60 mage. In TBC I moved to horde and got an orc enhancement shaman to 70. In Lich King I got an 80 orc arms warrior (because I like Swifty videos) and moved the shaman to 80 as resto. I was a guild leader and organizer in original wow (I organized 10 people to join and play wow with me when it launched and we all got to 60 together with most of the original people). So I have a long history in wow. I also have a similar long history in playing dark age of camelot.

I think Rift is the next best medieval fantasy mmorpg that I will play for a long time. Here is why.

Star Wars:TOR is science fiction and is going to hold people to it in a different fashion. You can't really compare laser guns to bows and arrows because you are going to have people that like both.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be free to play so everyone is going to be playing that along with whatever subscription game they are playing at the same time.

A lot of people are tired of world of warcraft like me where world of warcraft is just really the same old stuff just made to look new. A lot of us have been waiting for a dark age of camelot 2 and rift is kindasorta one. The reason it will fit the mold is because, well, it already does for me. I've gotten to level 26 in rift from playing in 2 of the betas. At first I thought it was just hype but the second beta confirmed I really do love rift.

People that have just started mmorpg gaming with wow will obviously not want to play rift because when they started playing wow it was already popular and out for a while and everyone knew blizzard already. All they saw was a polished game from years of polish. Nobody knows Trion. With time Trion is going to become hugely popular and rift will become just as polished depending on if they make enough money to stay in business but it's too late it looks like they already make a killer fortune from preorders.

I second this!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by infofront

Absolutely everything. I know that sounds like a copout, but I honestly can't think of a single aspect of Rift that met or exceeded WoW, except maybe graphics, on a high end rig. All aspects of PvP, Questing, the UI, class skills (sheer number, variety, usability, fun factor), overall polish, and  the sheer amount of content (not to mention WoW's content being vastly superior overall).

I dont even like WoW and I agree with this.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

High end rig needed for superior graphic, what are you talking about? This leads me to think you have not experienced the game, and just being a forum lemming.

UI? Rift is fully customisable, you make it how you want it to look.

How about class choice, u have what 10? in wow?

You have 28  solo classes in rift, and choice 3 acive souls at once so that is well over 100 effective "classes" to choice from.

Sorry lost the will to even reply to anymore, well done u trolled me :)

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Xzen

Same here.

I dont understand why Rift fans get sp upset of the WoW comparisons. If you didnt want to play an MMO very simillar to WoW then you wouldnt want to play Rift. Sure there are some small differences but of all the games that have been called WoW clones over the last 7 years, Rift is the most simillar to WoW.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Originally posted by Papadam

Same here.

I dont understand why Rift fans get sp upset of the WoW comparisons. If you didnt want to play an MMO very simillar to WoW then you wouldnt want to play Rift. Sure there are some small differences but of all the games that have been called WoW clones over the last 7 years, Rift is the most simillar to WoW.

Wow  is as generic as themepark games get. No bells and whistles, no evolution, no unique aspect.

You can't help make another game with these basic parts......

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Same here.

It all goes in the presentation of the post.

Usually, the 'WoW clone' argument is brought in a negative way. The term itself is so vague that used alone it doesn't really support your point of view too well, so I'm often thinking the sole purpose of this is to provoke the other posters. Those threads end up being entertainment rather than offering something informative, unfortunately.

But if you bring a decent comparison between WoW and Rift on the leveling process, the storyline, the UI, the artwork and so on, your post becomes informative and usually doesn't trigger much backlashes. But it won't be bumped as much as those other flame threads.

• lylexlylex Member Posts: 9

Trion has a lot of potential. The game developers will give their Rift community what they want. You can tell when you compare beta 1 to the latest. Rift is still only in the beta stage and there are plenty of room for add-ons and improvements. You people compare the two games like they both came out during the same time. I am surprised how Rift still being in beta is on the same league as WoW, a near perfect MMORPG thats been out for like 10 years with constant improvements. You can tell Trion spent a lot of time and effort making this game just from playing the beta. Hell, we probably only scratched the tip of the iceburg.

It's not a WoW killer anytime soon by any stretch. Good grief the games not even out yet. Being told by WoW fanboys that this game sucks is a little more depressing. Trolling Rift forums won't change a thing. Confront reality! It sounds a little far-fetched doesn't it? There are already quite a few players that have already decided to leave WoW for RIFT. To put it very bluntly, your retorts were all really low level in every aspect. At least most of them. I mean you people always complain its too similar/different.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Same here.

IMO Rift is more like Warhammer. I only see a bit of WOW in RIFT, but a lot of Warhammer.

I loved WOW Vanilla and start of BC and Also enjoyed Warhammer the first few months.

On a side note 50% of the reason I hate wow now is that it turned into a solo game and the little community that it has left is horrible.

• narghilenarghile Member Posts: 3

I've played WoW since Vanilla and I've been involved in the las two betas for Rift.

Rift reminds me a lot of the vanilla days of WoW.

World PVP, World bosses, maybe even the new game smell of it.

I've been following Rift threads on a few other Forums and I'ld like post some of the useful and interesting things I've come across.

This was a thread labled "100 Reasons Rift is better than WoW"

The count actually went past 120 last I checked.

Not all of the Posts are serious, but I think the majority are valid reasons, at least to the one posting.

1: AOE looting

2: No Ghostcrawler

3: Like WoW but with shinier graphics

4: Customizable UI out of the box

5: Less people playing

6: Rifts

7: It’s not WoW

8: It’ll be free in 6 months like Aion is now

9: No Knaak

10: Character customization

11: Rogue tanking

12: No gnomes

13: It has a shorter name and sounds dirty

14: No Druid shapeshift nerfs

15: Not having to run around the capital city doing nothing.

16: The talent system is mind-blowing

17: Reclaiming mats from old gear.

18: No arena

19: Offensive healers

20: Good tree graphics

21: Amazing, smooth and diverse animations

22: Water actually looks like water

23: Squirrels on fire

24: The map! It zooms!

25: The login screen

26: No ice lance

27: The male Mathosian dance

28: One-click import for UI.

29: Better lore

30: No taxi system

31: Not limited to 1 talent tree

32: General chat is tolerable

33: Bards

34: Nobody manipulating the economy...at least for now.

35: INVAAASIOOOOONS

36: Alliance look cool

37: Items you can buy to open rifts

38: Necromancers

39: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

40: Support classes

41: Healer mage

42: Awesome racials

43: 'Tis new and fresh

44: quad spec, allowing ANY combination of souls you've acquired, not just the 3 active.

45: being able to acquire more than 3 souls in the first place

46: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

47: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

48. The beginner backpack has 20 slots

49. When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

50. no elitists

51.Awesome death "Rifts", with even more awesome dangerous creaturs spawning from them

52: Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start.

53: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when I have the tank fully hotted.

54: Join public raid option for rifts.

55: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

56. The forums aren't full of people who can't read instructions even when in the title

57. only 6 Races, plenty of room to expand

58. Trolls drop Goat Gruff (read your fairy tales)

59. The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

60. Devs listen to community

61. Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

62. No flying everywhere

63. World PvP

64. PvP Players have a loot table

65. Cleric tanking

66. Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

67. no gearscore, very few a-holes in the beta, feels more like an old school mmo

68. Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

69. CHLOROMANCERS!

70. A rogue, two mages, a cleric and a warrior walk into a Dungeon. The rogue tanks, the cleric melees, one mage heals, the other debuffs/controls (find me a WHOLE CLASS in wow that has more than the odd CC and interrupt - I'm talking a whole 2 mage souls dedicated to shutting down the opposition) and the Warrior nomnomnoms you with Dot's and Pets.

71. no undead

72. no Slyvanas and her emo fanboys.

73. Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

74. Dances with Squirrels title!

75. More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

76. No "a more powerful spell is in existence" which GC lied about going in cata.

77. Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

78. it's absolutely beautiful, even on the low-end graphics

79. Critter Tears Artifacts.

80. Faction Vendors in the big cities

81. More fantasy-like than the high-tech technology WoW

82. Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

83. Buyable blues for low levels

84. Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

85. Clerics "blink" with random direction and range.

86.The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

87. It's something different after almost 6 Years

88. Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill>addons)

89. Soul system can be added to in future expansions

90. Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

91. Cool old stuff mixed up with cool high tech stuff (teleporting machines, high tech technology).

92. Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

93. You don't need to reroll fotm, only respec in most cases.

94. "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

95. Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

96. Recap: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

97. No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

98. The Shattering (pre-Cata event) ... ALL DAY LONG

99. No Garrosh or Varian (hopefully!)

100. NO FROST MAGES or ring of frost

101. Taunts actually doing something (AWESOME) in PVP! As someone who has always played Tank in PVE, being able to do it in PVP makes me SO excited.

102. No Tol-Barad which is completely unbalanced (attacker at huge disadvantage)

103. Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

104. I'll be playing a new game. So we're all newbs!

105. Pve changes that only affect pve servers and pvp changes that affect only pvp servers. BEAT THAT BLIZZARD!

106. Armor dyes - OMG we may not all look identical for a change!

107. Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

108. You won't get Uber Gear for less than Uber Effort (dev quote)

109. Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

110 (?). It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players. (I hope)

111. something- Level 1 gold spammers? Easy to ignore since no1 really talks in capital city chat

112. Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat.

113. Looting while mounted.

114. Every zone has a Ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

115. No retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

116. The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, its fun, lively and all around just a blast to be playing!

117. All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

118. Specific 10m content

119. Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

120. Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics o_O !! Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.  Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc....

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by narghile

I've played WoW since Vanilla and I've been involved in the las two betas for Rift.

Rift reminds me a lot of the vanilla days of WoW.

World PVP, World bosses, maybe even the new game smell of it.

I've been following Rift threads on a few other Forums and I'ld like post some of the useful and interesting things I've come across.

This was a thread labled "100 Reasons Rift is better than WoW"

The count actually went past 120 last I checked.

Not all of the Posts are serious, but I think the majority are valid reasons, at least to the one posting.

1: AOE looting

2: No Ghostcrawler

3: Like WoW but with shinier graphics

4: Customizable UI out of the box

5: Less people playing

6: Rifts

7: It’s not WoW

8: It’ll be free in 6 months like Aion is now

9: No Knaak

10: Character customization

11: Rogue tanking

12: No gnomes

13: It has a shorter name and sounds dirty

14: No Druid shapeshift nerfs

15: Not having to run around the capital city doing nothing.

16: The talent system is mind-blowing

17: Reclaiming mats from old gear.

18: No arena

19: Offensive healers

20: Good tree graphics

21: Amazing, smooth and diverse animations

22: Water actually looks like water

23: Squirrels on fire

24: The map! It zooms!

25: The login screen

26: No ice lance

27: The male Mathosian dance

28: One-click import for UI.

29: Better lore

30: No taxi system

31: Not limited to 1 talent tree

32: General chat is tolerable

33: Bards

34: Nobody manipulating the economy...at least for now.

35: INVAAASIOOOOONS

36: Alliance look cool

37: Items you can buy to open rifts

38: Necromancers

39: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

40: Support classes

41: Healer mage

42: Awesome racials

43: 'Tis new and fresh

44: quad spec, allowing ANY combination of souls you've acquired, not just the 3 active.

45: being able to acquire more than 3 souls in the first place

46: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

47: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

48. The beginner backpack has 20 slots

49. When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

50. no elitists

51.Awesome death "Rifts", with even more awesome dangerous creaturs spawning from them

52: Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start.

53: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when I have the tank fully hotted.

54: Join public raid option for rifts.

55: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

56. The forums aren't full of people who can't read instructions even when in the title

57. only 6 Races, plenty of room to expand

58. Trolls drop Goat Gruff (read your fairy tales)

59. The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

60. Devs listen to community

61. Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

62. No flying everywhere

63. World PvP

64. PvP Players have a loot table

65. Cleric tanking

66. Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

67. no gearscore, very few a-holes in the beta, feels more like an old school mmo

68. Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

69. CHLOROMANCERS!

70. A rogue, two mages, a cleric and a warrior walk into a Dungeon. The rogue tanks, the cleric melees, one mage heals, the other debuffs/controls (find me a WHOLE CLASS in wow that has more than the odd CC and interrupt - I'm talking a whole 2 mage souls dedicated to shutting down the opposition) and the Warrior nomnomnoms you with Dot's and Pets.

71. no undead

72. no Slyvanas and her emo fanboys.

73. Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

74. Dances with Squirrels title!

75. More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

76. No "a more powerful spell is in existence" which GC lied about going in cata.

77. Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

78. it's absolutely beautiful, even on the low-end graphics

79. Critter Tears Artifacts.

80. Faction Vendors in the big cities

81. More fantasy-like than the high-tech technology WoW

82. Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

83. Buyable blues for low levels

84. Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

85. Clerics "blink" with random direction and range.

86.The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

87. It's something different after almost 6 Years

88. Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill>addons)

89. Soul system can be added to in future expansions

90. Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

91. Cool old stuff mixed up with cool high tech stuff (teleporting machines, high tech technology).

92. Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

93. You don't need to reroll fotm, only respec in most cases.

94. "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

95. Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

96. Recap: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

97. No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

98. The Shattering (pre-Cata event) ... ALL DAY LONG

99. No Garrosh or Varian (hopefully!)

100. NO FROST MAGES or ring of frost

101. Taunts actually doing something (AWESOME) in PVP! As someone who has always played Tank in PVE, being able to do it in PVP makes me SO excited.

102. No Tol-Barad which is completely unbalanced (attacker at huge disadvantage)

103. Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

104. I'll be playing a new game. So we're all newbs!

105. Pve changes that only affect pve servers and pvp changes that affect only pvp servers. BEAT THAT BLIZZARD!

106. Armor dyes - OMG we may not all look identical for a change!

107. Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

108. You won't get Uber Gear for less than Uber Effort (dev quote)

109. Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

110 (?). It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players. (I hope)

111. something- Level 1 gold spammers? Easy to ignore since no1 really talks in capital city chat

112. Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat.

113. Looting while mounted.

114. Every zone has a Ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

115. No retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

116. The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, its fun, lively and all around just a blast to be playing!

117. All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

118. Specific 10m content

119. Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

120. Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics o_O !! Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.  Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc....

Epic post man.

• HazukiStyleHazukiStyle Member UncommonPosts: 49

There are certainly a lot of parallels between Rift and games like WoW, WAR and Aion.

Personally, the main reason for even giving Rift any of my time was that WoW (a game which I have played since day1 of EU launch) is not as entertaining for me as it used to be.  I went to Rift with a relatively open mind; thinking ‘Oh, here we go another generic MMO title, lets give it a try’.  I was left impressed – NOT by the innovation but rather by the amount of fun I had with the game.

Anyone can see that the game (Rift) has HEAVILY borrowed from other titles within the genre;  standard UI, standard quests, similar key mapping, etc.  But what about the differences – specifically targeting WoW, how does Rift differ?

- Souls rather than Talents.  This is not just a renaming of WoW’s ‘talent trees’ rather it is a relatively innovative way of attempting to provide character customisation and uniqueness through skills/abilities.  A player is able to choose 3 ‘Souls’ from a selection and mix/merge different talents from each choice – Want a pet? Then choose one of the pet souls.  Want to CC? Then choose a soul which focuses on Crowd Control.

- Rifts / footholds / invasions.  Though these may at first seem all to familiar to WARs public quests and seem to be static; this is far from the truth.  The Rifts within the game really add to the immersive side and encourage community and faction spirit!  Something which WoW never really achieved – maybe slightly through the AQ opening event but nothing overly substantial.  As I ‘quested’ through one of the invasions there was a great sense of progression as the raid group went from defeating footholds and lower tier minions to eventually taking on the enemy warlord.  The addition of these elements to the game, aside from being it’s true ‘uniqueness’, really make the world come alive and appear to progress.

- Artefacts!  Ok, so this is not too dissimilar with WoW’s archaeology system.  It does, however, add to the game in a way that feels less ‘grindy’.  Some of the artefacts gained from around the world are quite amusing and give all sorts of rewards.

There is a great deal more which I have yet to discover; never found out what the ‘planar’ charges were.  As others have mentioned it does have a number of features which you’ll find in most MMOs at the moment with quite a reasonable level of polish.  In general the game has left me with quite a contented feeling and I shall certainly be following it as it progresses; hopefully it already has a great basis from which to improve; something which WAR, in my view, never had.

We shall see come launch.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Artifacts is almost the same as EQ2 system. The resemblances between Rift artifacts and WoW archeology is the resemblance between a human and a monkey.

Planar charges are meant to fuel ancient wardstones. Of those I found only in Scarlet Gorge (if I remember the name correctly). I assume that eventually the ancient wardstones will dot all the contested aeas.