Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I <3 scenery

Lotro have so far best scereny in MMO's that i have seen. Character are not maybe best looking and enviroment is pr0.

this :)  -->>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMq8QuzKLsk&feature=watch_response

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Best world design in MMOs (and RPGs) without no doubt

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I agree. LotrO's character models and animation suck, big time, but its world design is truly magnificent.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

True was a really good video and environment. :)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Yes I always felt they did a very good job on the surroundings .The way the female elves ran though heavens what a sight !

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I actually really liked the LotRO setting... both visual world design, and just the little bits of lore that made me grin.

Well, okay, one setting decision actively pissed me off... whoever decided that elves like living next to cliffs without handrails.  Falling off a cliff due to a small surge of lag is a horrible way to end my 'not killed yet' achievement streak. :(

Still, while I like the graphic design (For backgrounds.  The people are a different matter)  in this more than say... AC, AO, DaoC, EQII, WoW or CoH (Just to name a few AAA MMOs I've played, off the top of my head), I'm thinking GW2 is my current favorite.

... and no, this isn't a 'newer graphics are better' thing, I just think the art direction for GW2 is brilliant, and they're doing an amazing job of bringing it to life.

Still, being second to a game where the art people are constantly winning industry awards is not a bad thing. :D

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Mmm, the quality of the graphics is indeed superb. Probably my favourite thing is the buildings - very medieval English and Celtic inspired. The Shire especially was very Celtic, both in its graphical design and its music, and having grown up in rural Wales that gave it a really special "homely" feel to me. :)

BTW can anyone tell me the name of the music track on the video?

Always read the small print.

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Thanks! :)

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

The scenery was the one reason I lasted so long in Middle Earth (up to Mirkwood). I loved exploring and seeing the stunning landscapes infront of me. Where it quickly fell down, and fell down hard for me, was with the character models and motions. It broke my heart to see such a stunning game with such feeble char and mob modelling.

I hear that complaint alot, but personally I never really had a problem with them - at least not with my own character, a female hobbit. Perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for character animations.

Another complain I hear often is that the armour and clothes look silly/boring. I like them! I like the fact that they went for a functional and realistic armour design, with some suitable medieval-looking clothes. If they'd had WoW- or WAR-style ridiculous armour with huge shoulder plates etc. that would have upset me.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

True to  what you say the goofy amour in Wow i too would be upset. Or like every redmage having the same gear. With lotro the give u the option to deter away from confromity. My only bitch to this game would be a lack of  a economy. If turbime could implement a stronger economy it would make this game even sweeter.

Edgar F Greenwood

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by theinvader

Another complain I hear often is that the armour and clothes look silly/boring. I like them! I like the fact that they went for a functional and realistic armour design, with some suitable medieval-looking clothes. If they'd had WoW- or WAR-style ridiculous armour with huge shoulder plates etc. that would have upset me.

I too liked the armor and the styling, it fitted with the world and looked in place. Silly armor has no place in Middle Earth. For me, the scenery and overall look was good and designed well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Tetters

Originally posted by theinvader

I too liked the armor and the styling, it fitted with the world and looked in place. Silly armor has no place in Middle Earth. For me, the scenery and overall look was good and designed well.

While I agree that a WoW style armor has no place in Middle Earth, I still think what they implemented is silly.

If you look at the style that was used in the movies the designers tried to create "realistic" armor that fit the setting.

I can easily get on board with some of the clothing and hats but the wild designs that the armor incorporates; heck even the weapons, is just off base to my taste.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Lotro has the best looking game world I've ever played in.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

I loved being in this world so much.  It was probably my 2nd most favorite "world feeling" in a mmorpg.  The sheer boredom the game gave me though was very disappointing, I so wanted to love this game.  The gameplay killed it for me.  I could never get over the mid 20s.

Originally posted by Groot

I loved being in this world so much.  It was probably my 2nd most favorite "world feeling" in a mmorpg.  The sheer boredom the game gave me though was very disappointing, I so wanted to love this game.  The gameplay killed it for me.  I could never get over the mid 20s.

Dude thats total rubbish, The twentys were a bore , but you got by . I did the twentys buy donig alot of quest and tasks and skirmish. Easy xp . I think your impatient.

Edgar F Greenwood

• cowboyhugbeecowboyhugbee Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by huskerman34

Dude thats total rubbish, The twentys were a bore , but you got by . I did the twentys buy donig alot of quest and tasks and skirmish. Easy xp . I think your impatient.

That's my problem right now.  I'm about to leave the Lone Lands, but the environments are so dark and foreboding... and the music is equally grating (in those areas, I love the Shire/Breelands).  It works, but spending 10 levels in that kind of darkness just gets old after a while.

I'm taking a break from leveling and going to the Shire to work on some Inn League quests and crafting/fishing. 

MAIN: LOTRO (Chedriin Azariah, Landroval), STO (Jay Andover)

SIDE: FFXIV, RoM, Wakfu

Originally posted by cowboyhugbee

Originally posted by huskerman34

That's my problem right now.  I'm about to leave the Lone Lands, but the environments are so dark and foreboding... and the music is equally grating (in those areas, I love the Shire/Breelands).  It works, but spending 10 levels in that kind of darkness just gets old after a while.

I'm taking a break from leveling and going to the Shire to work on some Inn League quests and crafting/fishing. 

Yeah lone lands are boring when i get mid 20 i head over to northdowns . Dont give up. If you think the 20 were a bore wait until you enter agnamar the game starts to get very interesting and challenging. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

Yes, Lotro does meet the eye and senses with the designing of the environment, both outdoors and indoors, a well crafted world which in my opinion ranks among the best i've seen in a mmo.

Some kin mates didn't seem impressed but later i found out they don't even run the game with most eye candy on because of performance. I recommend aiming high with this one because it deserves to show it's beauty.

From the early dawn to dusk, how the weather changes and how everything seems to blend well, from forests to desolated places - art direction is top notch.

And not only visually, sound wise they did a terrific job aswell.

Highly recomended title for those looking for some quality RPG time with time to spare to enjoy the trip without thinking about it's destination ;)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Its very good, but only second after Vanguard for me