Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 1 year, STO worth picking up?

KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

Title says it all, really itching for a space MMO. Don't care for the click controls of Eve so I'm left wanting.

Thanks in advance.

Keyno

Comments

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

There is a trial. Decide for yourself after that.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I did the trial 3-4 weeks ago.

Sorry, but I cannot recommend this game. Imo, this is one of the worst MMOs ever released.

Avoid it like the plague.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I used a friend's lifetime sub that he wasn't using (first hint). I don't use it anymore either (second hint)

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

its on sale for less than 10$ in most shops and has been as low as 2.50 (theres a good hint about how good it is)

for that price, if you want to know try it. then come back and tell us what you thought of it.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

A space based MMORPG?  The pickings are extremely slim.

EvE, which you already said you didn' want to try.

Star Wars Galaxies.  I left that years ago on bad terms, but your own mileage may vary.

Star Trek Online.  I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

There's just not many space or sci-fi based MMORPGs out there.  Never had been.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• casmogacasmoga Member Posts: 29

As most other "Trekkies", I have had visions about how a Star Trek MMOG should look like. 

I was expecting a live and breathing universe full of other Star Trek fans, role-playing as side-characters and taking active part in *shaping* the Star Trek universe. I wanted to explore the universe, meet new species, resolve conflicts, find new friends and live a "life" as a "Star Trek citizen".

Then, the first previews of STO came out and it looked like STO was shaping into an arcade-type game focused on single-player missions with a Star Trek theme. After that, all I could think of was "EPIC FAIL". I was disapointed beyond measure and didn't even want to give the game a try.

But ... having subscribed to the STO Newsletter (before release), I've continue receiving news about the game development and after a few months, I've decided to give it a try.

I wasn't ready to put my money on it yet, so I've started with a trial account. To my surprise, I've enjoyed ground battles as well as space battles. It wasn't anything like I had imagined, but it was no worse than any other MMOG out there. I've then upgraded my trial account to a monthly subscription and continued playing the game for about two weeks - until real life issues interrupted and my subscription expired (I never use auto-renewals).

I was still able to log in to the game, but I wasn't able to continue my character progress because most missions for higher levels are locked for demo/trial accounts. I thought about extending my subscription, but decided to wait because I wasn't ready to put more money into this game until I had more free time.

I continued receiving E-Mails from Cryptic about game progress and would check the game from time to time, but there were too many other things to do, so I've remained a "non-subscriber", until ...

A few weeks ago, I've received an E-Mail from Atari about STO's 1-Year Anniversary and their special 20% discount offers. This is when I've decided to make a "leap of faith" and bought a Lifetime subscription for Star Trek Online.

I haven't spent a lot of time in STO yet, but I have met a few people who have been active in STO since it's release and having talked to them, I am starting to see this game for what it is: a great place for Star Trek fans who enjoy socializing in a "Star Trek environment", experience the excitement of space buttles piloting their own vessel, explore new planets and participate in ground missions.

I can't say how much time I wil spend playing STO and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if the game continues being improved and extended with new content, I think it will become one of the main hubs for "Trekkies". Anyone who likes space-based MMOGs (or is a Star Trek fan) should ignore what the others say, put aside all prejudice and give this game a try.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

The real problem with STO is that cryptic pulled what many other developers out there have, and are pulling now. The thing is the It will be added later, trick. Ship interiors: A launch they were on this list. Now: In game but very, very rudimentary. Klingon Content: At launch was only pvp. Now: There is some, but not enough to really be a second faction. Crafting: At launch was useless. Now: slightly less useless but gather mats will make you kill people, in the real world.

In the end of it all Cryptic runs it's game off a, promiss of what you want later, mindset. The idea that if you keep playing it will eventually be the game you want. Which might be okay if the sub was all you had to pay for it, but instead you need cryptic points to get a lot of the other add ons to make the game more your style.

It's fun on the first play through, you can get it off amazon most weeks for 5 dollars, and in that first month you can play through to at least captain if not admiral. So I say if you got 5 bucks to waste, and you just want to blow things up you might want to give it a try. 

• KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

Thank you all for your input. For 5 buck I really can't go wrong. I will look in the bargin bin for STO and give it a run through.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

STO is not great game as Eve but it is  good game if you not looking change for real life.Funy  mmorpg,with nice comunity.Beter after every new seasson(major content update).

Before one year my personal score was 5/10,now is 8/10.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Personally, I always wanted to like STO.  And for the most part I did, and would still play it if there was a way to never have to take part in away missions.  I have never seen a more poorly developed part of a piece of software in 20 years of development and 30 years of gaming.  I would be completely and totally ashamed to have my name associated with the travesty that it is lol.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I suggest judging it yourself. What i do notice is the most pro-STO posters tend to be LTS. This is because they've made a very large financial and coresponsondingly emotional ivestment in the game. If you've experience with other MMO's , I suspect you'll find some good aspects to the game . My experience left me disappointed after the first 45 days and i've not seen Cryptic do anything to change the core issues. Good luck and let us know what you think.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Rudras

STO is not great game as Eve but it is  good game if you not looking change for real life.Funy  mmorpg,with nice comunity.Beter after every new seasson(major content update).

Before one year my personal score was 5/10,now is 8/10.

majr content updates????? REALLY? ROFL!!!!

please list the major things that have been added IN ONE FULL YEAR NOW. do not include things that are in the c-store (stuff you have to pay for on top of the sub are not content), and do not include UGC as having the players do the work for the devs should not be called content.

what exactly does that leave in a year?

and dont add the very basic things like crafting that should be in any AAA mmo at launch.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

People who playing STO,know what I talk about.

• FlatoFlato Member Posts: 5

Its a good game especially if u like trek, Space combat is where its at much more fun then your typical hack and slash mmo also they keep adding weekly series which are a step above most of the games missions. In additon they are begining to remaster the content that was released at launcher with cut scences and voice overs. Finally for those who do not like the ground combat pay attention to season four because its getting a entire overhail

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Former Life-Timer, and Beta Tester.

I would wait till it goes free to play, the space combat is ok, if you like strategy over action, but the ground stuff is very repetitive with limited environments and enemies. The pvp is ok as u often have a good chance to last in a fight, and with only 3 types of ships is easy to keep balanced. But there is no role-play, no immersion, no rich content, no artistry to it, its sterile. It would make a good free little casual game, but selling it as anything more is an insult.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I picked it up for 10 bucks (CE) in December.  I lasted about 14 days.  There's nothing great about combat.  I liked the crafting (believe it or not).  Space combat was fun but a LOT of high lvls mess around with the low lvls by entering the "random" ones.  Then the poor lowbie goes in there and some lvl 40+ fighter wipes the floor with'm before your scanners give you a lvl indicator.

If it wasn't 10 bucks.. I'd give it a pass.

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

No.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Rudras

People who playing STO,know what I talk about.

The only content that was added was the weekly missions. Admittedly they were a lot better than the standard mission drivel the game throwns at you but you could finish them in 30-45 minutes, sometimes even less.

Hell, I finished the first weekly series in one afternoon.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

At 10 Euro for the CE edition it is worth picking up.

I played in open Beta and cancelled, but 10 Euro and a free month included is like having a free trial.

For the price of one meal, you have an avatar in space. Rather unique these days.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by casmoga

As most other "Trekkies", I have had visions about how a Star Trek MMOG should look like. 

I was expecting a live and breathing universe full of other Star Trek fans, role-playing as side-characters and taking active part in *shaping* the Star Trek universe. I wanted to explore the universe, meet new species, resolve conflicts, find new friends and live a "life" as a "Star Trek citizen".

Then, the first previews of STO came out and it looked like STO was shaping into an arcade-type game focused on single-player missions with a Star Trek theme. After that, all I could think of was "EPIC FAIL". I was disapointed beyond measure and didn't even want to give the game a try.

But ... having subscribed to the STO Newsletter (before release), I've continue receiving news about the game development and after a few months, I've decided to give it a try.

I wasn't ready to put my money on it yet, so I've started with a trial account. To my surprise, I've enjoyed ground battles as well as space battles. It wasn't anything like I had imagined, but it was no worse than any other MMOG out there. I've then upgraded my trial account to a monthly subscription and continued playing the game for about two weeks - until real life issues interrupted and my subscription expired (I never use auto-renewals).

I was still able to log in to the game, but I wasn't able to continue my character progress because most missions for higher levels are locked for demo/trial accounts. I thought about extending my subscription, but decided to wait because I wasn't ready to put more money into this game until I had more free time.

I continued receiving E-Mails from Cryptic about game progress and would check the game from time to time, but there were too many other things to do, so I've remained a "non-subscriber", until ...

A few weeks ago, I've received an E-Mail from Atari about STO's 1-Year Anniversary and their special 20% discount offers. This is when I've decided to make a "leap of faith" and bought a Lifetime subscription for Star Trek Online.

I haven't spent a lot of time in STO yet, but I have met a few people who have been active in STO since it's release and having talked to them, I am starting to see this game for what it is: a great place for Star Trek fans who enjoy socializing in a "Star Trek environment", experience the excitement of space buttles piloting their own vessel, explore new planets and participate in ground missions.

I can't say how much time I wil spend playing STO and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if the game continues being improved and extended with new content, I think it will become one of the main hubs for "Trekkies". Anyone who likes space-based MMOGs (or is a Star Trek fan) should ignore what the others say, put aside all prejudice and give this game a try.

No offense intended but why in this world would you purchase a lifetime sub??? You barely played and don't even know if you like the game at this point. I'll never understand lifetime subs. They are not a smart purchase for any game. Just pay the monthly fee and when you get tired you can simply turn it off.

For the record, I tried the game again about a month ago and it was vastly improved over last year. I enjoyed my brief stay and might give it a go again in a few months.

But... Never be foolish enough to buy lifetime subs for games these days. Very few modern mmo players stick with one game long enough to warrant the extra expense. Also, the way these games go FTP anymore, I would not ever consider a lifetime sub. Cancel it if you can and just pay month to month.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by COORS

But... Never be foolish enough to buy lifetime subs for games these days. Very few modern mmo players stick with one game long enough to warrant the extra expense. Also, the way these games go FTP anymore, I would not ever consider a lifetime sub. Cancel it if you can and just pay month to month.

Games will offer lifetime sub when they aren't worth it. Those few games really worth lifetime subs won't offer them (because they are so good and/or appealing that they get far more with monthly subs). Also, games with "lifetime" subs usually don't last even enough to pay out over monthly sub (they either get shut down or go f2p, see Champions Online, they offered some $300 lifetime and went f2p less than a year and half later, that's not even $200 worth of monthly subs with the "worst" subscription plan possible -paying month by month-)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Netspook

I did the trial 3-4 weeks ago.

Sorry, but I cannot recommend this game. Imo, this is one of the worst MMOs ever released.

Avoid it like the plague.

The trial is unfortunately complete garbage as it's capped at level 3. So you won't hardly notice any of the real improvements they have made to the game.

I restarted playing again a week ago (as I was just bored of all current MMO's at the moment) and I am having a blast.

They really did made some good improvements to this game.

There are a lot more interesting story missions. Especially the episode missions are plain awesome.

The whole new Diplomatic missions are very fun and add the much needed non-combat centric diversity to this game.

Crafting in Memory Alpha finally makes sense and is a viable activity now.

Sector Space without the grid looks awesome now. Much much better than the horrible sector space at launch.

You can pick up the game now for less than 10 bucks. Can't go much wrong with that. At least you can then try it out for 30 days without restrictions.

I bought the digital deluxe edition for 8 bucks for my gf yesterday lol. Hehe.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I wish I could recommend this game.   I'm almost 50 and a big Star Trek fan.    This game does look and especially sound very Star Trekkie.   I bought the game on sale two weeks ago and already I'm struggling to work up the enthusiasm to even log in.   The game is just so.....meh.    Getting to zones where quests are takes forever, and the combat is very repetitive even in a genre that's known for repetitiveness.

I wish i could recommend this game, but I found it's fun factor to wear out very very quickly.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by SwampRob

I wish I could recommend this game.   I'm almost 50 and a big Star Trek fan.    This game does look and especially sound very Star Trekkie.   I bought the game on sale two weeks ago and already I'm struggling to work up the enthusiasm to even log in.   The game is just so.....meh.    Getting to zones where quests are takes forever, and the combat is very repetitive even in a genre that's known for repetitiveness.

I wish i could recommend this game, but I found it's fun factor to wear out very very quickly.

When you level up your Diplomacy you can unluck transwarp to Deep Space 9 and K7 for example.

Appearenly a lot of people are still in the launch mode idea and haven't figured out yet what really has improved and been added over the past year.

You can level up several levels of Diplomacy by doing the new diplomacy missions and so unlock neat stuff, like the Transwarp abilities I mentioned.

It's a bit hidden, so not immediately noticable. But you can click on your rank all the way top left corner and open up a new window that shows what you will unlock with each rank level. Then you can now also click on the new extra Tab that shows you the Diplomacy levels and what you will unlock with each Diplomacy level.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

I watched the 1 year anniversary video, they have certainly 'improved' on a lot, and i am tempted. One thing that worries me though is the complete lack of death penalty, at all. Is there any reason to stay alive in this game yet? Also, how is PvP and any word on a 'neutral zone'? Another thing that really irked me about the game was the instancing, i take it that's never changed. Either way, i have the game sitting here, unopened and im trying to muster the enthusiasm to open and install it. It was only £7.95 so i bought it for the sake of it.