Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It's asian in origin. Do you think it won't be overloaded with cute animals?

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by nblitz

This alone is enough to keep me from playing TERA.    If I wish to see this I can go to a local club.   She looks like she is on her way to a Rave.  

Ah it's the flip flopper.

Whatever you say now is taken with a grain of salt. 

You'll try it someday regardless whatever you spout out now.

Does it have squirrels?

F-bleep...you Rock!

LOL! ./hug

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

This alone is enough to keep me from playing TERA.    If I wish to see this I can go to a local club.   She looks like she is on her way to a Rave.  

Lmao Teala! So this is not you in Tera then?!!!

You should at least try Tera though. :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I like the high heels. Perfect shoes for country side jogging.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

You should check out some of the other armour models though. There are some really impressive designs. Nothing like the above pick though lol. I really love the Castanic Warrior armour model in this

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/8f61be83-9c18-4d2c-abbf-278934fa81fb

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Xasapis

I laughed so hard IRL :)

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Loke666

Heard the word Flamberge? Few people actually used them in true battle but they were popular to own in th 16th century. 

I wont complain that yoi like smaller weapons, no problem with that but large weapons isn't that unrealistic besides the Final fantasy swords of course.

You know for me it was never the weapons that bothered me in there unrealistic makes, it was the armor. I swear in most of the MMOs now days in the armor you would have no mobility at all. Try to turn your head to look at something and you would slit your own throat. In order to see anything you would have to turn your whole body, which is not a very good thing for combat. I can see it now, 3 Orcs are marching through Ashenvale one sees something out of the corner of his eye and turns his head to look. The other two hear gulg and turn their bodies to see their friend’s throat slit. Then they have to report back to their commanding officer he died by turning his head to fast and slitting his own throat on his armor.

Who in their right mind designs armor like that? I got an idea let’s make it so our soldier’s armor is as much a danger to themselves as their enemy. That makes total sense. :)

Lets see wing to the eye or into the cheek, yeah that would feel great. Don't turn your head at all!

This guy will just smash his larynx against his shoulder armor and die a horrible death, why bother trying to fight him. Just make him turn his head real fast and watch him suffer.

• dg2903dg2903 Member Posts: 51

For me, Tera does not seem as popular as Rift because Tera is a Korean game. Korean has a different type in game play and different type in Graphic. Especially graphic. As a Korean, i prefer the Cute looking Char and bright Graphic, in conclusion, Korean like the Cute and funny graphic. But with other ppl, especially NA + EU ppl, i think they would prefer a martial looking char with big muscle and no cute graphic to show up the fighting-ness gameplay. And also, with the Tera gameplay, we have a non-target system gameplay, for some people, they found that is COOL, but with some people, they're afraid to change for some reason, maybe they want to have an easy gameplay ( target system ) to play and relax rather than playing Tera with kind of like an action game where you have to control a lot of thing. 

Sorry for my bad english.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Originally posted by Xasapis

There is magic in the game and those heels feel like comfortable jogging shoes ,they only look like FM shoes. 

Chamber of Chains
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Looks like smexy leather armor to me.  Also like how the body tatoo's & hair changes to fit the armor.  But I can understand how some people hate on it,  but what I don't understand is how western games get a free ride around here when they have skimpy armor and large weapons.  Biased....Mmm maybe.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by nblitz

Ah it's the flip flopper.

Whatever you say now is taken with a grain of salt. 

You'll try it someday regardless whatever you spout out now.

Does it have squirrels?

xD
    I...haven't paid attention to it tbh. If I do find one and it looks fugly and poorly animated then it might just be a deal breaker for me.

I'll make sure to blog about it.
  • Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Lathander81

So your saying you have to have pedotendencies to play TERA? Thats pretty shallow thinking and honestly if thats all you see than maybe you have a problem. Fanstasy has been around for a long time here in the states and plenty of the heroines were chick with (as you put it) little to no close on.  Just look at our comic, action movies, and tv shows. Besides the states is definitely big market and I don't think TERA will have any problems with subs or retention numbers. Asian companies know what we want ad they know how to market to Americans..they have been doing it for years.

No thats not what I am saying. I am speaking of Asian games in general. Yes many comics have heroines dressed in some pretty skimpy outfits.  However they are not bug eyed girls that look 10.   Asian companies such as electronics and car companies do know what americans want as evidenced by their extreme success here.  Korean MMO makers on the other hand obviously do not as none of their MMOs are really a huge success here. Aion would have been the closest but it in the end faltered.  It still comes down to personal taste honestly.  Koreans only concern is those players in Korea.  We are purely a secondary market.  Tera will do fine worldwide but in the states it will end up like so many other Korean games out there.

If you knew anything about marketing you would know that the same they market cars/electronics the use the same demographic in the videogame space. Funny thing is no matter what people say there are plenty of popular korean mmos out there Lineage, Vintictus, Aion, Perfect World, SUN...should I go on? You don't need to be a WOW to be successful.

The Bug-eyed comment is personal tastes if you don't like that than that's your own thing. My point is ther eare plenty of Americans that love anime and Asian games/MMO's. You shouldn't generalize the west as not liking Korean MMOs cause its not true.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Xeonexs

because tera looks like the same old cheap Korea crap, where Rift is the best mmo Ive ever played and ive played 27 of them

Please name all 27...just curious of your MMO experience.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It was stated on the first page but the most true answer is the fact that Rift is much closer to release in the western market and a lot of access to the game right now.

And for a slightly different reason I do think the art direction in Tera has put off quite a few people.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

The biggest problem with TERA is that they keep delaying the release and it has frustrated a lot of the original fans. I found out about TERA over a year ago back when they were letting people actually play the game through focus group tests. That seems like ages ago now. If you ask any of the Westerners who played the Korean TERA they will tell you it doesn't need Westernizing. There is no AION style grind fest as most players were hitting the retail level cap within a week. This whole Westernizing process is a joke. Nothing needs to be changed gameplay wise. Unless they are remaking the character models so they have smaller weapons and more clothing then nothing justifies these endless delays. Maybe they are putting in a cash shop so who knows what is going on with TERA's western release these days.

They need to release the game now as is. Not next year when everyone has moved on to other things. Some will play RIFT, some will play SWTOR, GW2, C9, or Blade and Soul.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Rift might be modeled after the traditional MMO, which you may very well be tired of and everyone is welcome to their own opinion on what they consider fun.

Tera, however, is a mediocre action game built on top of an average RPG. Tera isn't innovative, if you think it is, then maybe you haven't played a console action/adventure game since SNES. Is action oriented combat new to MMO's? Yeah, more or less, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near the level that action games are currently at.

So, instead of pressing 1,1,1,3,4,1,1,2.  You can press "attack button" "attack button" "attack button" "dodge button" "attack button" while aiming and pretending you're playing something new.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

IMO Rift is more popular because its "new" and its Trions first forray into the MMORPG world.. New company, new game, tired and true mechanics, fantasy setting = popular..

For most western players AION left a bad taste in their mouth.. And most people know that the ones responsible for developeing/westernizeing Tera are also the ones behind AION.. I think that right there is why this game isn't as hyped as Rift..

But beleive me, when it comes closer to launch Tera will get its hype.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Askedan

Originally posted by Siecefire

Why is Tera not as popular as Rift....

Becuase Tera is a Korean made game that will be a complete bull s**t grind fest just like Aion was.

Oh god,at least read this topic,there are also several topics of people that are currently playing the game,Tera doesn't have any kind of grind.

°No mob grind,you can quest grind just like in western games.

This was also said about AION.. You actually COULD level up 1-30 without grinding mobs.. But after 35 you were forced into repeatable quests or grinding mobs.. Does Tera beta let you play till end game? If not i wouldn't count out the mob grinding part.. I know Siecefire said it sorta blunty, but he is right, this game isn't that hyped up because of AION's failure and most people consider eastern games as grindfests.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by nomss

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

Art style?

For me it's Voice Overs and I'm sold. I guess each to their own.

It is very obvious as to the why.

It is a foreign game and marketing is the in thing.This is why NPD is so utterly huge,they have all the big names paying them large amounts to market their poducts.As for Rift vs Tera,well TERA receives very little marketing over here,but Rift on this site has been throwing beta keys out like candies at Christmas.

I doubt Rift is very popular at all over in Korea,i am sure TERA is the in thing there.

imo they are completely different games,TERA seems to be copying the Eq way of fighting several enemies at once,but their combat from every video i have watched ,looks far too easy mode for my liking.Rift on the other hand is copying Wow,usually fight one at a time,which i actually prefer,i think fighting 5/6/7 mobs at once is ridiculous and unrealsitic.

I also noticed mobs in TERA seem to move very slow,i assume ther is some backstabbing bonus,so the ytried to make it real easy to take mobs backs,where as RIFT is more traditional in it's combat structure.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Rusque

Rift might be modeled after the traditional MMO, which you may very well be tired of and everyone is welcome to their own opinion on what they consider fun.

Tera, however, is a mediocre action game built on top of an average RPG. Tera isn't innovative, if you think it is, then maybe you haven't played a console action/adventure game since SNES. Is action oriented combat new to MMO's? Yeah, more or less, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near the level that action games are currently at.

So, instead of pressing 1,1,1,3,4,1,1,2.  You can press "attack button" "attack button" "attack button" "dodge button" "attack button" while aiming and pretending you're playing something new.

Don't lie to yourself.

Rift is gear bassed,and it doesn't require any kind of skill,same old same old.

In Tera,you have to dodge skills,aim and block,which makes the PVE more fun and the PVP challenging and skill based.

We've been asking for a skill based mmorpg for ages,well,here it is.

The combat in Tera IS innovative,there aren't many MMORPGS with that kind of combat,and it's a god bless for people burned out of the same old boring 11122 combat we have been playing since 1996.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Zekiah

[mod edit]

Really? People have a problem with this? 

I think that the complaints about this sort of thing show the real problem.  If you don't like it don't buy it and then if there isn't enough people supporting the game it would fail and the political correctness of society will prevail. But thats not what will really happen is it? People will probably line up in packs to buy this game. Just because it's overtly sexy.   So I guess there is a market for it, and I don't think that I have the right to tell people that they are wrong for wanting to play a game with sexy graphics. 

I do however, cherish the thought of playing a game that doesn't have any self righteous, pretentious people in it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

The Tera gameplay footage looks like a Diablo or 1-player console game.

When you have hand-eye/ physics combat as opposed to target/ dice roll combat you are getting into an area very foreign to traditional American MMOs.  Add on top of that very cartoony avatars and mobs with the ridiculously unrealistic armor and weapon sizes/appearances you can see very clearly that Tera will only appeal to either Eastern markets used to this (Anime is part of their culture) or very young players.

I believe most USA/Euro MMO players are a litttle more mature and lack some of the twitchy skills needed for Tera type games.  Western players that prefer aim and shoot games will stick with the FPS genre. Those that prefer the item and stat-based games will find Rift a more popular choice than Tera.

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Ozivois

When you have hand-eye/ physics combat as opposed to target/ dice roll combat you are getting into an area very foreign to traditional American MMOs.  Add on top of that very cartoony avatars and mobs with the ridiculously unrealistic armor and weapon sizes/appearances you can see very clearly that Tera will only appeal to either Eastern markets used to this (Anime is part of their culture) or very young players.

I believe most USA/Euro MMO players are a litttle more mature and lack some of the twitchy skills needed for Tera type games.  Western players that prefer aim and shoot games will stick with the FPS genre. Those that prefer the item and stat-based games will find Rift a more popular choice than Tera.

unrealistic armor and weapon sizes in fantasy magic world ? how can it be unrealistic ? maybe they are not from metal or are crafted using magic etc  ?  asian games have different style you cant say its unrealistic its simply asian style graphics.

i like asian graphics, its more interesting and fresh than western fantasy semi medival style, that im bored  already... how many rats you can kill, how many orks, trolls, black knights, ghost and zombies...

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Ozivois

Yep, I agree I believe the combat system in Tera will be kinda intimidating to those people where player skill will shine. Don't worry tho there is Rift for those:

This discussion has been closed.