Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GIGABYTE M6980 laser gaming mouse

Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I've just bought this mouse click as a replacement for my Razer Naga that seems to have gone tits up, my question is does anyone own this mouse and if so is it any good or should I cancel the order and buy something else?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A buddy owns one, fine enough mouse. Really slow compared to my trackball of course.

Faster, harder, scooter... I mean Trackball.

The coolest mouse I owned however was a perific mouse, you could either use it as a regular mouse, as a trackball or as both at the same time, it ruled in FPS games. 

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

I never liked the adder prefer the naga.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by tuzalov

I love the Naga too and have used it for a year or so, but the software is freaking out and considering what I paid it should last alot longer. So I've decided not to buy from Razer now. 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Well I've just recieved my Gigabyte M6980 mouse, it work straight away (plug 'n' play) and came with a small disc that contained the ghost engine. The Ghost engine installed first time and is working properly as far as I've tested it so far, I've changed the lighting on my mouse to green and it gives a cool breathing effect.

The mouse feels slightly larger than what I'm used to in a gaming mouse, for the past years I've exclusively used Razer and this Gigabyte seems larger certainly in breadth. This is not a complaint however as it is very comfortable in my hand, the buttons make a satisfying click much like the death adder. The top of the mouse has a non sweat coating that is very nice and on the left side where the thumb rests the rubber is contoured and my thumb sits very comfortably in it.

This is certainly a great deal for a gaming mouse, looks and feels like good quality, comfortable, all the features a gaming mouse should have including a good macro engine. It feels better than the Naga in the hand, is alot cheaper and from what I can tell after looking over the net doesn't have the same software stability issues some are getting. The Naga has the advantage of the keypad and extra buttons which I will miss, however for the cash I paid having the software go bananas and me spending god knows how long to set it right before it goes haywire again is not acceptable considering the price and company selling it. So for now I'll be using Gigabyte, a company with a a good name trying to break into the gaming mouse market.

EDIT: I'm using Win 7 64bit and have an AMD X3 phenom II, HD 5770 and an Asus motherboard.

CS Lewis

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

The mouse and especially the control panel looks like a cheap rip off of my http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone-/

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

nice looking mouse... did not know gigabyte makes them too :o

still i prefer my logitech g500, best mouse so far and i've tried alot of musses :o

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Originally posted by Boltonsquad

The mouse and especially the control panel looks like a cheap rip off of my http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone-/

*Agricola hyperventilates* HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!

Actualy if you glance from the top down without any lights they could be mistaken for the same mouse, I looked at Rocat but I discounted anything with weights as I really don't like or need them.

CS Lewis

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

That mouse and the Roccat mouses are from the same builder. even the software is plain reskined from the original roccat software.

Looks to be a older version rebranded (simple a new cover) seeing it only has 2000DPI whil the Kova (cheaper version roccat) has 4000max, Might be the previous Kone version (Kone is thier "high tier" gaming range) 

Roccat was not very known or populiar for a long time, only in past ..two(?) years they apear to get a little name.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by Boltonsquad

*Agricola hyperventilates* HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!

Actualy if you glance from the top down without any lights they could be mistaken for the same mouse, I looked at Rocat but I discounted anything with weights as I really don't like or need them.

Pretty similar looking mouse and control panel though :)

It's the first time i've used weights with a mouse and I can honestly say it makes so much difference.

The Roccat Kone is also very cheap nowadays :D

I don't think the Ghost engine is the Roccat engine reskinned, the Roccat engine is far to advanced for the Ghost just to be a reskinned version in my opinion. I think it's obvious that the Roccat is the superior gaming mouse when you look at the specs and the software.

I bought the Gigabyte because I was pissed after spending so much on the Naga and having it go bad after a year, just not acceptable for a mouse that cost $120. Many people having the same driver problems without any help from Razer, so I looked for a cheaper alternative that still had macros. The Roccat Kone was over 60 pounds where as the M6890 was 24 pounds. Besides I wanted to see for myself what Gigabyte was offering and am happy so far with my purchase.

CS Lewis

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I was in love with my older Logitech G5, but the newer ones don't feel quite as sturdy, so I decided to try another Razor. I had tried one a few years ago - it lasts about 4 months before it died totally, so I was skeptical - I can't remember which one it was though.

This new Razor is an Mamba. I like how it feels in my hand, but the mouse randomly decides to reset/disconnect about twice a week... even though I use it wired and not wireless. So I'm still less than thrilled with it, especially for what I paid for it.

I really miss my old G5, it lasted for almost 3 years before the scroll wheel went out, which is probably the longest I've ever had a mouse last.

Let me know how the Gigabyte works out, if/when I finally throw this Mamba out the window for resetting on me in the middle of a game again, it may make my short list for a replacement.

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by Loke666

A buddy owns one, fine enough mouse. Really slow compared to my trackball of course.

Faster, harder, scooter... I mean Trackball.

The coolest mouse I owned however was a perific mouse, you could either use it as a regular mouse, as a trackball or as both at the same time, it ruled in FPS games. 

SCOOTER!!!!!!!!

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by tuzalov

I love the Naga too and have used it for a year or so, but the software is freaking out and considering what I paid it should last alot longer. So I've decided not to buy from Razer now. 

Ive also heard alot of razer products break down pretty fast for the price. I just picked up a logitech MX gaming mouse for $40 bones off new egg heard they last for years. 8 Button Macro.

• rdom69rdom69 Member Posts: 7

Nice mouse..but i see naga much better....