Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Rift is casual, easy and quick to level, very linear and no death penalties. For some reason, probably the success of WoW, those are the ingredients that cater to the western market.

From what I have heard TERA is none of those things, except maybe linear.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Yamota

Rift is casual, easy and quick to level, very linear and no death penalties. For some reason, probably the success of WoW, those are the ingredients that cater to the western market.

From what I have heard TERA is none of those things, except maybe linear.

Rift got the equivalent of durability costs from PvP deaths in the open world PvP. At least until beta 5.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Just because a game is more popular doesnt mean its better.

McDonalds probably sells more burgers than anyone in the world.. but does that mean they make the best burgers in the world? No.

McDonalds grew their popularity because they marketed directly to children, not because their product was superior.

After playing Rift to level 20 during the beta I can truly expect it to be more popular than Tera, its easy and the graphics are fun.  But I found myself losing interest.  You could say I'm an old bastard but i've always preferd a more challenging game with an adult theme.  And Tera graphics are certainly more Adult :)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by sadeyx

McDonalds probably sells more burgers than anyone in the world.. but does that mean they make the best burgers in the world? No.

McDonalds grew their popularity because they marketed directly to children, not because their product was superior.

After playing Rift to level 20 during the beta I can truly expect it to be more popular than Tera, its easy and the graphics are fun.  But I found myself losing interest.  You could say I'm an old bastard but i've always preferd a more challenging game with an adult theme.  And Tera graphics are certainly more Adult :)

Enough with the stupid McDonald's arguments.

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

For those of you that think because tera is an eastern game it is going to be a slow leveling grind.... I played in the KOBT, joined it a few days late so only had 10 days to play, I played about 3-4 hours a day and by the end of the beta I was lvl 34 and the max level for the game is 50. The game play was awesome, best mmo I have played and I have played many in the past 11 years of my mmo career. I also played in the Rift betas; I played the rift betas before and after the tera kobt... After the tera beta was over, I couldn’t find it in me to stay logged into the rift beta for more than like 10 mins at a time before the combat and quest grind bored me to death.  To all those that think the combat has been done before and it is nothing new, don't overlook the game without trying it, games like vindictus and all the other action mmos don't even compare. Just don't write it off without trying it first you won't regret it.

• asskick23asskick23 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Kaneth

Originally posted by sadeyx

Enough with the stupid McDonald's arguments.

somewhat remind me of chewbacca episode from southpark.

• I don't see the big deal here, if you enjoy rift play rift, if you will enjoy tera play tera. Tera is obvious a east game made by asians, rift a west game made by westerers and they are pretty different for different tastes with different gameplay.

Rift is more popular atm simply because the release is very close, Tera will be release at the end of the year. If you want to make comparisons just wait when both games are available to everyone, aka the end of 2011.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Ciccero

Said it on Zam

Terra is a mock attempt at westernizing yet another Asian MMO

It is a grind fest.....and what is the deal with EARS in Asian MMOs ? Why cant everyone have normal ears....

The game is a grind, jsut like Aion and it's attempt to nab the Western Market, it will fail.

Americans like goals, Americans do not like leveling to be the primary goal.

Leveling is a stepping stone. In order to enter X I have to hit level A. Once I can do X, I have to gather items 1-9 over a period of time to enter Z. and so on. Leveling is a stepping stone, as I said, and the Asians have yet to figure that out. Their target for THE ASIAN MARKET is keep a person engrossed in the leveling aspect and to make it less painful HERES OUR ITEM SHOP ! GAIN 20% MORE EXP FOR 1 HOUR FOR 3.00 !!!!

Yah, they are not the brightest bunch of R and D groups. They have no clue how Americans think and view gaming and they never will because once they break that mold,then every Asian playing their games will walk away....because Asians, unlike Americans, love the elvel Grind...give me 200 more levels and a gain rate that takes me 3 years to hit it and I will spend me hard earned money,,,that's the Asian POV

Sadly, I think you are right.  These are the very issues that make eastern games hard to swallow in the west.  I just tried Aion again, I couldn't get past level 22 because I got so bored with the leveling process.  that's all I was doing.  PVP wasn't for a few more levels and people say that's OP and non fun anyway.  I see Tera being the same way.  

Honestly, I hope ONE game breaks the eastern mold completely.  by offering things other than just grind leveling.  that game is Archeage.  Now that's a game that looks like they might understand the "western" appeal.

I think its really funny that people think the east should change their games to appeal to the west. Thats the problem..If I was going to play a game from the east I would like to experience the game in their culture. America is the land of many cultures lets act like it.

Its not that simple and you know it.  Its a difference in taste and lifestyle as well.  Most of us would not spend 24 straight hours in some internet cafe grinding fireflies over and over to get 1/10th of a level.  Most of use have very busy and full lives.  I am all for hardcore and I am all for  games like L2 but I play them at a very casual pace and most cannot do that.  I have a very full life and therefore honestly like the EVE system best because I can skill while offline and make isk while in game.

It is that simple. The problem is you are over generalizing all asian games to be grinders when that s not true. I mean even you said you liked L2...that's an Asian game.

I also am not a huge fan of female avatars with little to no clothes that look like ten year olds which is a big thing in many  eastern games.  I do not have pedo tendencies like the asian markets apparently have based on much of their art style in everything from manga to games.  Its just a difference in taste.  If a company wants to be successful in the states then they need to adapt or accept they will have lower sub and retention numbers

So your saying you have to have pedotendencies to play TERA? Thats pretty shallow thinking and honestly if thats all you see than maybe you have a problem. Fanstasy has been around for a long time here in the states and plenty of the heroines were chick with (as you put it) little to no close on.  Just look at our comic, action movies, and tv shows. Besides the states is definitely big market and I don't think TERA will have any problems with subs or retention numbers. Asian companies know what we want ad they know how to market to Americans..they have been doing it for years.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Ciccero

Said it on Zam

Terra is a mock attempt at westernizing yet another Asian MMO

It is a grind fest.....and what is the deal with EARS in Asian MMOs ? Why cant everyone have normal ears....

The game is a grind, jsut like Aion and it's attempt to nab the Western Market, it will fail.

Americans like goals, Americans do not like leveling to be the primary goal.

Leveling is a stepping stone. In order to enter X I have to hit level A. Once I can do X, I have to gather items 1-9 over a period of time to enter Z. and so on. Leveling is a stepping stone, as I said, and the Asians have yet to figure that out. Their target for THE ASIAN MARKET is keep a person engrossed in the leveling aspect and to make it less painful HERES OUR ITEM SHOP ! GAIN 20% MORE EXP FOR 1 HOUR FOR 3.00 !!!!

Yah, they are not the brightest bunch of R and D groups. They have no clue how Americans think and view gaming and they never will because once they break that mold,then every Asian playing their games will walk away....because Asians, unlike Americans, love the elvel Grind...give me 200 more levels and a gain rate that takes me 3 years to hit it and I will spend me hard earned money,,,that's the Asian POV

Sadly, I think you are right.  These are the very issues that make eastern games hard to swallow in the west.  I just tried Aion again, I couldn't get past level 22 because I got so bored with the leveling process.  that's all I was doing.  PVP wasn't for a few more levels and people say that's OP and non fun anyway.  I see Tera being the same way.  

Honestly, I hope ONE game breaks the eastern mold completely.  by offering things other than just grind leveling.  that game is Archeage.  Now that's a game that looks like they might understand the "western" appeal.

I think its really funny that people think the east should change their games to appeal to the west. Thats the problem..If I was going to play a game from the east I would like to experience the game in their culture. America is the land of many cultures lets act like it.

Don't blame me.  The game company itself changed the game to appeal  to us in the west.  They aren't doing it right.  I like eastern culture, when I can observe it from a distance.  Doesn't mean I want to live it though.  

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

I dont like endless grinds either but i dont mind it a little. Every game has some grind but im hoping everything else in Tera will keep me involved. I have really high hopes for Tera *fingers crossed*

On the other side, I think the ppl at Trion have done a wonderful job on Rift and marketing it as well. All the beta event and key give aways built more interest with each event. Of course if the game wasnt good then all of this would be for nothing. Other companies can learn from what Trion has done here. They should be proud :)

/Purr

Kat

Originally posted by kdchan

I don't see the big deal here, if you enjoy rift play rift, if you will enjoy tera play tera. Tera is obvious a east game made by asians, rift a west game made by westerers and they are pretty different for different tastes with different gameplay.

Rift is more popular atm simply because the release is very close, Tera will be release at the end of the year. If you want to make comparisons just wait when both games are available to everyone, aka the end of 2011.

This is the answer for the OP. People will play Rift and people will play TERA. In my opinion near will shadow the other..there is plenty of sunlight for both.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I won't refuse to look at Tera, but I am not big on the combat, the super lagre weapons, flashes, and numbers popping everywhere like a old batman tv show/standing video game annoy me.

I would try it, but from watching videos, I don't think it will be my thing....Arch Age/GW2 interests me much more, with less skepticisim, but still a very wary swtor.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Because Tera is not even close for a release in NA/EU yet. Don´t expect Tera to hit western market before Q4 at least.

Another reason is a lot of people is afraid that Tera might be another asian grind fest. Sadly all games from asian developers will suffer that prejudice in the west.

In the other hand Rift is about to release in less than a month, Betas have been a huge succes, showing a polished product and developers are gaining a "We listen, we deliver" fame.

Originally posted by Katrisa

I dont like endless grinds either but i dont mind it a little. Every game has some grind but im hoping everything else in Tera will keep me involved. I have really high hopes for Tera *fingers crossed*

On the other side, I think the ppl at Trion have done a wonderful job on Rift and marketing it as well. All the beta event and key give aways built more interest with each event. Of course if the game wasnt good then all of this would be for nothing. Other companies can learn from what Trion has done here. They should be proud :)

/Purr

Kat

I think we have forgotten about those other things in most MMO's today. I remember my first MMO FFXI. Now that was a grind...to level you literaly stood in one spot and killed the same mobs over and over again.  Everyhing involved massive amounts of time. Just to rife a chocobo was a 4 hour quest. All that aside, the community was amazing. Cities were busy and people would stop and talk to you. Nowadays you can barely get someone to help you without being charged.

My point is the MMO space is starting to become a big multi-player instead of a community. I hope that the newe MMO's comming out bring back that community.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by Juaks

In the other hand Rift is about to release in less than a month, Betas have been a huge succes, showing a polished product and developers are gaining a "We listen, we deliver" fame.

And they deserve, maybe the best dev. team group i found in any beta, i find Rift boring to play and i wont buy it but i hope the game succeed just because the dev. team working and how they listen the community.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Juaks

Another reason is a lot of people is afraid that Tera might be another asian grind fest. Sadly all games from asian developers will suffer that prejudice in the west.

I like the artstyle and I do not have a huge problem with "asian grind fest" stereotype. The 3.rd person shooter perspective is a bit of a turnoff though. Twitchbased+aiming in an MMO could easily end up like some sort of "Chili con pasta".

I was also hit hard by "Aion-fatigue". Most of all because that particular Korean publisher seems to have little regard for needs outside the Korean market. The limited support from "NCWest" (including at least one CM that keeps showing her annoyance with the community) did not make things better. Somehow "Bluehole" sounds a bit like a name dreamt up while being on controlled substances :-S

Rift may not be my "dream come true" MMO, but Trion's actions and support  so far is way above the industry standard. Pre-ordering Rift was a given after experiencing a socalled "marketing beta". It may be marketing but they actually took down the servers 4-5 times to patch in important changes based on feedback in the actual running beta.

TERA may be totally different from Aion, but I will put it on "wait and see..." If Rift keeps getting better, then I will probably not bother at all, with GW2 coming sometime around/shortly after TERA.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This alone is enough to keep me from playing TERA.    If I wish to see this I can go to a local club.   She looks like she is on her way to a Rave.  

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Teala

This alone is enough to keep me from playing TERA.    If I wish to see this I can go to a local club.   She looks like she is on her way to a Rave.  

Ah it's the flip flopper.

Whatever you say now is taken with a grain of salt. 

You'll try it someday regardless whatever you spout out now.

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42

Oh I don't know..cause it's only in Korea maybe?

• XeonexsXeonexs Member Posts: 10

because tera looks like the same old cheap Korea crap, where Rift is the best mmo Ive ever played and ive played 27 of them

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by moraelin

Oh I don't know..cause it's only in Korea maybe?

Bingo.  I have heard about this game for some time, but just the look of it turns me off.  I could not even stand Aion past the first month because of the way it looked and felt like an Asian game.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

1-Rift is 1 month before it realeases

2-They have tons of advertisment running around cause they want to make money

3-They are bombarding the whole internet about beta keys

4-Tera is far from release

5-when it's the right time tera will strike as well

Do u want more?

Rift will not succed.Just an advice from an advanced player who sees beyond!

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Xeonexs

because tera looks like the same old cheap Korea crap, where Rift is the best mmo Ive ever played and ive played 27 of them

Lets see how many people nibble onto this piece of gold.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by nblitz

Does it have squirrels?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by nblitz

Does it have squirrels?

F-bleep...you Rock!

This discussion has been closed.