Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandy Bridge- Oops?

2»

Comments

• rugrato7rugrato7 Member Posts: 10

Ya I was wondering how they would handle the OEM of windows 7 too, from what I have read online, it seems if you have to change a motherboard out you can call and get windows 7 reacitivated by calling microsoft.

I know they are not supposed to do that with windows 7 OEM, but surely they would have to be understanding about this.

Buying another copy of windows would really suck.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by rugrato7
    Ya I was wondering how they would handle the OEM of windows 7 too, from what I have read online, it seems if you have to change a motherboard out you can call and get windows 7 reacitivated by calling microsoft.
    I know they are not supposed to do that with windows 7 OEM, but surely they would have to be understanding about this.
    Buying another copy of windows would really suck.

As long as it is the same model motherboard, you are ok. If you change motherboard brands, or decide to upgrade your motherboard when you exchange it, your out of luck.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#faq3

Microsoft Licensing
    If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Nice, thanks.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Mistakes do happen, which is why its always good to wait until bugs are ironed out. 

Glad at least some capable people actually decided to tell the world this time about the problem. I counted several people with business degrees and even two with computer science degrees that threw out the intial article along with an Electrical Engineer. So much for Pure marketting...I am actually impressed.

• DreyzzynDreyzzyn Member Posts: 40

be an excellent time to buy stock.

2nd the defect will only manifest in 5% after around 2-3 years of use (usual upgrade time). also if you use the 2-4 sata 3 controller slots there will be no problem.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/snb_support.aspx

MSI has announced their replacement plan:  you send them the old product, and then they send you the new one.  It's UPS 3 day shipping in each direction, but it sounds like they'll pay shipping both ways.  That would leave you without a computer for more than a week, though.