Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT; the result of unoriginal/non creative game developers -- a review from a beta tester

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Do not base (serious) reviews of a game based on its similarity to other games, that tells people nothing.

Base it on how smooth / fun certain elements are, if you can't get over a dislike of a similar game you should really try to go in depth or give up doing a review at all.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Do not base (serious) reviews of a game based on its similarity to other games, that tells people nothing.

Base it on how smooth / fun certain elements are, if you can't get over a dislike of a similar game you should really try to go in depth or give up doing a review at all.

On the internet, where i dont kn ow you and you dont know me, using shared points of references (such as similarities to other games) as a guide to how it plays are valid.

Much more so then saying it's 'fun' which is subjective and meaningless.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by tkrahling

What I will never understand is if someone thinks a game is so horrible, why do they find it necessary to come into forums and crap on everyone elses enjoyment.

For validation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by heerobya

[mod edit]

Welcome back Heerobya, long time no see...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by vesavius

On the internet, where i dont kn ow you and you dont know me, using shared points of references (such as similarities to other games) as a guide to how it plays are valid.

Nope, it isn't.

Because the interpretation of "It's similar to WoW" tells the reader too little and is also laden with opinion: for the OP it is a negative thing while for others that might not be the case.

If for example, the OP speaks of the similarities with WoW's UI we don't learn anything about the effectiveness of said UI, because WoW has a bazillion of custom made UI's and the standard one is similar to a whole lot of other games.

A review would be: the UI was compact and robust and I found it easy to navigate the various submenu's, there was also a function to customize the UI to my specific needs, which I really liked. The tooltips and floating numbers for abilities and spells did the job right and could be made to display anything you liked. My only critique would maybe be that they did not integrate some modern tools like self-sorting inventories and a "Sell all junk." function.

It's an opinion, sure, but you explain why you think as you do based on your ingame experiences.

Similarly something like: "I can not imagine why there would be a global cooldown except to be alike to WoW" is a conclusion based on nothing.

A review would say: "I often thought the global cooldown was too long and made combat with the rogue class choppy."

You're not a developer, you can not look into the mind of the developer, stick with saying what you like and what you do not like.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Nope, it isn't.

Because the interpretation of "It's similar to WoW" tells the reader too little and is also laden with opinion: for the OP it is a negative thing while for others that might not be the case.

Yeah, it is.

In the world of the forum, where most post TL;DR after 2 concurrent sentences, shorthand devices are required to communicate ideas quickly. Saying 'Rift's UI is a WoW clone' is one of these. It's a statement of fact that people relate to straight away.

Whether you then, as a reader, take away negative or positive from it is up to you.

It's more then valid. In fact, in this case simply saying 'it's similar to WoW' tells the reader volumes about this game and what it is seeking to achieve, both in it's surface meaning and deeper implications.

If you were my personal friend and I knew your tastes and preferences, I would listen to your subjective opinions with interest. As it is though i don't know you, or your likes, needs, or defintions of 'fun', so the best any reviewer can do is give me the inforamtion to make up my own mind. Saying 'it's like EQ2's UI' is doing that, because that would make me think good, because I like EQ2! Saying it's like Darkfall's UI on the other hand would tell me that this isnt what I wanted. In short, I am not interested in people here telling em 'I think this is fun'... it means nothing to me.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by scraca

Can I jump on the WOW was the 1st mmo ever made bandwagon also? Just a hint, when you post that (insert game name here) is a WOW clone or copied this or that from WOW you lose all credibility for knowing anything about mmo's. WOW has done the same thing that EVERY mmo has done in the past 10 years which is to take the same basic ideas from the mmo's before it and make it their own in some way. All the OP has done is make him or herself sound like a moron.

Please this is so not true. Calling someone a moron? You think you will get a warning for this?

Anyways, I want to hear about other games which featured the below stuff before WoW.

1. Quest heavy gameplay

2. Full addon/macro support

3. Tokens used to get PvP items/PvE items. 

4. Flying mounts available to players 

5. Talent tree system

I can probably think of other stuff but can't be bothered.

Please give concrete examples as in game + system to the above so that you can prove your point.

WoW might have been inspired by a lot of MMOs but that was what it was - inspired and not copy/paste exactly the same system. WoW improved all of the systems it got from EQ to make them actually enjoyable! A lot of stuff in EQ was not enjoyable so Wow made it better. 

Rift just copy/pasted everything except the class system which it arguably improved. (I don't think it's improved but that's subjective) There is a twist to it and not just copy/paste

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JathJath Member Posts: 45

Nope, it isn't.

Yeah, it is.

In the world of the forum, where most post TL;DR after 2 concurrent sentences, shorthand devices are required to communicate ideas quickly. Saying 'Rift's UI is a WoW clone' is one of these. It's a statement of fact that people relate to straight away.

Whether you then, as a reader, take away negative or positive from it is up to you.

It's more then valid. In fact, in this case simply saying 'it's similar to WoW' tells the reader volumes about this game and what it is seeking to achieve, both in it's surface meaning and deeper implications.

Sorry for the double post. Your post came up after.

Yeah, some people may relate to a game to WoW - in this instance the UI - but WoW is just the most popular example. For some reason since the game is so damn popular people will always relate to it. WoW did the same thing as Rift in a way, though. It took the best part of games and made them better. So many people said that, too. Took In The Tops, Interestingly Effectively Superb.(Yeah, it sucks. I know.) Either way. It's all WoW did is made them better. I will say, not everything is a copy, but a good amount of it if you think about it.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

A negative responce to the game Rift is still a response. The advantage of this game is that it does take ideas from Warhammer, Everquest 1 and 2, and the behemoth called World of Warcraft. Yes we all admit it takes something from them. but as my great friend who is japanese states "Take something that is great and  make it better" The team at Trion Worldwide did that, from the first second you get into the game you have a role you feel important to accomplish the goals provided to you. (Character creation is weak but i am hoping on release it gets a lot better). You now have a quest save the land and people of telara, the true evil is Regulos the defiant and guardians have the same goals just different ideas on how to accomplish them. So you have a rich story (so far win in my book) the quests are fluid and soloable for any class any role can do another roles job for the most part (mage tanking and warrior healing are iffy at best there though). So your going along working ot get rid of regulos and his influence and BANG a public quest opens up (Rift) you have a couple options .. call for help, ignore it and watch it get worse or do something about it ... brining along the elements of  fun.

I do not know about you all but as a game that sounds really good as a concept, Beta events (free trials as i see them really) come around and you get to say holy !@#$!@ this game is very polished and smooth!. so now not only is the concept good but its playable on about any computer out there (my 2002 computer runs this on low with 25 to 30 fps with 50 people around). So now it also can be played by anyone with a high speed internet connection.

Way to go trion on making good on previous products that failed.

and oh yea ... that was just player vs evironment.

I have not expierence PVP but if it is anything like PVE then well it did not re invent the car .... just made the car better (like Seatbelts remember Seatbelts were not invented or used by Ford, GM or Crysler ... at first).

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Why does every mmorpg out has to be original? who the hell said it had to?

What car after ford t1 has been original?

There will not be an original mmorpg for the next 50 years, what might change is the controls, mob AI, server capacity, graphics etc

What changed since EQ1? graphics and players the rest is just the same old stuff mmorpgs are made of, some more then others.

Agree, the only original fantasy mmorpg's out there are UO, AC and EQ, new game may be fun to play and good looking but they are not original nor dont do those have to be aslong as we find it fun to play.

Originally posted by Vidir

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Why does every mmorpg out has to be original? who the hell said it had to?

What car after ford t1 has been original?

Are you telling me that cars havent evolved and improved, incorperating new design and fresh thinking since the Model T? o.0

• NamkoNamko Member Posts: 69

Btw Trion Worlds have devs who worked with Blizzard(WoW)/Turbine(Lotro)/Sigil-SEO(Vanguard-Everquest)/Arenanet(GW1) even Aion, wich could also have a reason why Rift got alot elements from other mmorpgs... But i really don't care since a good combination will make Rift a good mmorpg.(Even Rifts/Dynamic changes/Wardstones are the only "new" features in Rift)

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]Lotro:[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Wheat"]Rolhad[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]The Nine[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]Evernight[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by Totec

Rift simply took the things that worked from previous games and enhanced them.... Just as Wow did with EQ, and EQ did with MUDD... This is something that has been done for quite some time.

you wont find blizz running around with next gen commercials tho :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

There is one thing I consider when choosing a game.

IS IT FUN???? And the answer for Rift is YES...IMO... dont get all upset that someone likes a game.

Talk all you want about this "game had this first" or w/e... but i guess boys will be boys.

/Hiss

Kat

[mod edit]

• JathJath Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Thane

Originally posted by Totec

Rift simply took the things that worked from previous games and enhanced them.... Just as Wow did with EQ, and EQ did with MUDD... This is something that has been done for quite some time.

you wont find blizz running around with next gen commercials tho :)

Commercials? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure Blizz did have commercials for WoW?

Sorry if I misunderstood that.

"This is the dumbest thread ever.... There is one thing I consider when choosing a game.

IS IT FUN???? And the answer for Rift is YES...IMO... dont get all upset that someone likes a game"

Agreed.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well the OP does say its pretty much their opinion.

I just think focusing on "wow" for every comment is fairly weak.

There are aspects from a lot of different games in Rift.   So it would be more fair to state that "fact" then act like the game is "wow" and say its a fact.  Rifts are simply PQ's from WAR as an example (if a similar thing was in another mmo sorry haven't played them all).

When I'm zooming around on a bard using a Ranger pet (if I'm solo) healing groups.. buffing groups etc.. the last thing I am thinking about is WoW.

• bezzibezzi Member UncommonPosts: 16

Its easy to find ppl in the world when they are doing rifts etc. so gather raid and kill them+ steal rift boss for rewards. If u dont like world pvp just do warfronts.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by bezzi

Its easy to find ppl in the world when they are doing rifts etc. so gather raid and kill them+ steal rift boss for rewards. If u dont like world pvp just do warfronts.

Some people are really just playing this game to ruin other player's fun.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Originally posted by bezzi

Some people are really just playing this game to ruin other player's fun.

You talking about the forum war game ... yeah you doing a pretty good job.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Criticizing a game for delivering what they promised to do from the very beginning of the launch announcement is pretty idiotic and shows you really have paid no attention to anything during the development process of this game. The fact that you went into beta expecting anything else is evidence you paid no attention at all.

From the very start of Rift the developers were promising a highly polished, ready at launch traditional AAA MMORPG unlike everything we have gotten over the last 4 years bug filled, half finished crap forced out the door. They never promised new, revolutionary, genre changing, next GEN.

What they set out to do was make a traditional MMO that works. I think they did this. If you are expecting something else out of Rift because your failed to read or do any research as to what this game was going to be then the fault is your own. 

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Namko

Btw Trion Worlds have devs who worked with Blizzard(WoW)/Turbine(Lotro)/Sigil-SEO(Vanguard-Everquest)/Arenanet(GW1) even Aion, wich could also have a reason why Rift got alot elements from other mmorpgs... But i really don't care since a good combination will make Rift a good mmorpg.(Even Rifts/Dynamic changes/Wardstones are the only "new" features in Rift)

Is that true? I thought Rift devs were basically Eq2 & vanguard devs with a few stragglers from mythic that joined recently. Anyone have info on trio. Devs and who worked on what? It would be interesting if Ex-wow devs worked on rift and could be the reason rift is really well done.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

They got people from WAR also, the person that did the achievement/title system (like 5 deahts, killed as a chicken, killed a chicken titles ect)  I think it is, they got people from every major game in the industry, from what I remember, when they did a podcast and they  kind of went through it, if memory serves me right.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Xthos

They got people from WAR also, the person that did the achievement/title system (like 5 deahts, killed as a chicken, killed a chicken titles ect)  I think it is, they got people from every major game in the industry, from what I remember, when they did a podcast and they  kind of went through it, if memory serves me right.

Oh, ok I'll look for that then, thanks. I kinda find it funny that it took a team of super developers to finally release a polished mmo. Wonder what Te dev costs are for Trion.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Is that true? I thought Rift devs were basically Eq2 & vanguard devs with a few stragglers from mythic that joined recently. Anyone have info on trio. Devs and who worked on what? It would be interesting if Ex-wow devs worked on rift and could be the reason rift is really well done.

I remember two of them from Verant way back in the day when Verant ran EQ lol.. way way back in the day

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Rockgod99

The entire dev team for Rift is made up of developers from almost every MMO team to date (SOE, Blizzard, Turbine, NCsoft, Anet, etc etc). There is an interview with Lars as well as one with Scott that talks about the geneology of the dev team. I will try to find it again and edit this post with a link (unless someone else beats me to it).

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

This discussion has been closed.