Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incursion Experience

sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

So I've been waiting for these to kick off for some time ever since I heard about them and yesterday it finally all started, so I set out on my lonesome looking for adventure last night and felt the need to write about it.  But first, why have I been looking forward to this so much?

See, unlike most MMO's there is never really any such thing as a 'pick up group' in Eve, interactions with other players in eve are either hostile, or bound to corporation/alliance mates.  You cant just grab a ship and fly off in a random direction "LFG to do anything"  this, in part is one of the reasons why I was looking forward to this aspect of Eve's latest expansion,  the other part is, well, bordom really!  there needs to be something else to do other than running missions / mining in highsec, or pvping and ratting in low/0.0

There ARE indeed other things to do, dont get me wrong, but I've been around eve for a while now and I've dabbled around in almost everything (not saying Im good at those things but ive done them)  so I was just hoping for something different to do.

Ok, so I opened my journal and looked at the available incursions in progress and went to the nearest one, 4 jumps away.  I arrived there and the system was buzzing with activity!.. great!  The sites in this system available were 'scout' level (easyest) so I began warping to each one, very disapointed to find that they were all completed and camped by tens upon tens of other people :(

"well this is rubbish" I thought feeling disapointed.  I looked again at my journal and saw another incursion happening 10 or so system away and started making my way there.

An odd thing happened which really, only demonstrates my ignorance.  I encounterd a system that had an active incursion going "wtf, why isnt this system on the "global incursion report"..  turns out that an incursion event effects and entire Constellation!! Not just a system.  The system on the report was just a 'staging area'  "DOH!" I said to myself when I finally realised.

A nice little feature CCP have put in with this is when you enter a constellation with an incursion event going off, it puts you into a local incursion chat channel.  I was delighted to see hundreds of people constantly looking for fleets,  'X's were flying all over the place, in local too.   Now this is more like what I expect an MMO to be like!

I'll admit, I found it rather difficult to actually find a fleet that would accept me, I guess the sheer quantity of people about was the main reason.   But there must be some rag-tag PUG group that would take me, as is the time honored MMO tradition.

Eventually I got in one and for the next 3-4 hours were spent trying to do these incursions in what can only be described as a 'Baptism of fire'  - Coordination we lacked!  Ignorance we bathed in but determination we had in abundance along with a truly inspiring willingness to learn.  Our fleet grew to the size of a 50 man fleet, with a huge mix of vessels, one or two players stepped up not afraid to bark orders to our motley crew and knock us into some kind of semi-organised fleet.

There was one thing which was a rather big disapointment however, almost like a body blow really;  Since our fleet was so large we each were rewarded with depressing ZERO reward.  No ISK no LP =( ,  This may seem to be the point at which people decide that the whole thing was pointless and go home.   Not so!

Despite the fact that that there was no rewards and people were indeed losing ships to these NPC's we all still battled on, eager to just to learn the ropes, determined to push back the incursion.  For some, it was the first time ever being in such a large fleet and others just wanted to shoot shit!

As the night drew to a close our fleet started to shrink, but we became more efficient, as collectivly, we learned what to do. I even dusted off my old 'FC' hat and helped coordinate when was needed.  As we completed another last site together we decided it was our last for the night,  time to turn-in and reflect on todays events.  There were the low points of realising no reward and some losing ships, but there were the high's of completing a site and seeing our progress in the incursion moving 3/4%..  ok, it was a small percentage, but there was much rejoicing.

The fleet was in overwhelming agreement, we had fun and our fleet, as "rag-tag" as it was was the best that many had experienced that night.  When compared to other peoples experiences our performance was admirable.  We saluted each other and made our seperate ways, possibly never to encounter each other ever again...

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by cylon8

{Mod Edit}

In many ways I am forced to agree...  But every now and then there is a diamond in the pebble stone beach ;)

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Great write up. Two things:

First, it's good to hear you didn't get concorded by a jerk in the group. 

Second, it sucks not to get any reward, but at least you had fun. And look at it like this...it was a great learning experience. Once you and your friends can do the sites with the recommended number of people, the rewards should be pretty good. 

Thanks!

And Indeed, if people are having similar experiences to me all across high-sec I dont think it will be long before even the common care-bear is sufficiently competant to exploit these events.

It feels almost like a mass "lets train up the noobs" system, the impact of which could be rather interesting :3

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by sadeyx

Thanks!

And Indeed, if people are having similar experiences to me all across high-sec I dont think it will be long before even the common care-bear is sufficiently competant to exploit these events.

It feels almost like a mass "lets train up the noobs" system, the impact of which could be rather interesting :3

CCP have been fairly open about that aspect. And an extremely good thing it is too.

I have to say that it's fascinating (and gratifying) watching the PvEers having to learn some of the lessons learned by PvPers. There's a lot of wailing and bawwing at the moment, but this could be - could be, I say, not will - a really useful step towards converging the two groups. First sleepers, and now the even more challenging incursions.

The real change will be if they start to rework missions, plexes and belt rats. Then we're going to see some fun.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

So you don't get any bounties when doing this? Meh, i guess if i go to an incursion ill remember to fit a salvager atleast on my ship lol

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Hellfyre420
    So you don't get any bounties when doing this? Meh, i guess if i go to an incursion ill remember to fit a salvager atleast on my ship lol

No loot nor salvage from Sansha wrecks.

• LysarionLysarion Member Posts: 87

You'll only get rewards if you're in the most effective fleet on the field. But, rewards will be ISK AND LP for CONCORD store.

I'm french, that's why I sometimes mis-use or mis-spell some words... Please don't blame me.
    (but feel free to explain my error if you want =)
    Need an Eve-Online trial invite? PM me your email adress =)

is there anything unique in the concord store? or anything worth getting thats not in the other stores?

is there anything unique in the concord store? or anything worth getting thats not in the other stores?

Yes. You can get +2/4/6% hardwirings, also unique Meta 2 capital mods. CONCORD LP will be extremely valuable.

hmm, I can understand attribute point implants being valuble but hardwirings?... meh

That's all about "The more efficient i'll be, the more ISKs i'll generate, the more upgrades i'll buy, the more efficient i'll be, the..."

Hardwiring are not necessary, but the more you'll use them, the more timeyou'll save doing your usual acivities...

I'm french, that's why I sometimes mis-use or mis-spell some words... Please don't blame me.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Malcanis

Thanks!
    CCP have been fairly open about that aspect. And an extremely good thing it is too.
    I have to say that it's fascinating (and gratifying) watching the PvEers having to learn some of the lessons learned by PvPers. There's a lot of wailing and bawwing at the moment, but this could be - could be, I say, not will - a really useful step towards converging the two groups. First sleepers, and now the even more challenging incursions.
    The real change will be if they start to rework missions, plexes and belt rats. Then we're going to see some fun.

Perhaps now more PvEers that should have never played EvE will now see EvE as it is... a PvP MMO.

Players like me. I learned that the hard way and left, now it is time for the rest to go or become PvPers first/PvE second... something I could not do.

It sounds like EvE has once again gotten Better. Good going CCP and enjoy guys and gals ;)

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

I dont nessesarily agree that one should play eve PvP first.

Eve is so different from most MMO's that one really should at least familiarise themselves with the different kinds of gameplay mechanics,  PvE is probably the best way to get into that.  Also, when you do join a corp your not a constant leech on your corp and know how to provide for yourself.

The problem has always been that the PvE in Eve doesnt really get you familiarised with the mechanics, etiquette and methods involved with large fleets.   Incursions go someway toward this so when they do eventually go to pvp then at least they are familiar with some of the basics, like setting up the overview etc.

Originally posted by Gardavil2

Perhaps now more PvEers that should have never played EvE will now see EvE as it is... a PvP MMO.Players like me. I learned that the hard way and left, now it is time for the rest to go or become PvPers first/PvE second... something I could not do.

Huh? You seem a bit confused here.

You do not have to PVP to join Incursions, you do not have to PVP in EVE at all.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

ummm... If someone wanted to you could play EVE as a complete Pve focused player.

I did it for around four years on my pve character and my only death was me going afk in a wormhole lol.

Even though Eve doesnt really have the quality pve of a themepark what it does have is variety. you have the choice of messing with quite a few non-aggressive activities and if your so inclined can continue that way your entire Eve pilot career.

Too me Eve is still the greatest mmo i've ever played, it gives you true freedom to play with all these tools and be as agressive as you want.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Gardavil2

Originally posted by Malcanis

Thanks!

Perhaps now more PvEers that should have never played EvE will now see EvE as it is... a PvP MMO.

Players like me. I learned that the hard way and left, now it is time for the rest to go or become PvPers first/PvE second... something I could not do.

It sounds like EvE has once again gotten Better. Good going CCP and enjoy guys and gals ;)

What on earth are you talking about? You dont have to PvP to do Incursions. What I meant was that to do Incursions, you'll have to learn some of the skills that PvPers have had to acquire, like broadcast discipline, balanced fleets, how to omni-tank, teamwork, etc etc. What on earth is wrong with that? I literally can't see any downside unless your idea of PvE is mindlessly popping red pluses hour after hour.

In which case you can still do that anyway. Where's the issue here? Or are you just knee-jerk whining the instant you see a post with "PvP" in it?

Originally posted by Lysarion

That's all about "The more efficient i'll be, the more ISKs i'll generate, the more upgrades i'll buy, the more efficient i'll be, the..."

Hardwiring are not necessary, but the more you'll use them, the more timeyou'll save doing your usual acivities...

Maybe once you've got a set and use them for PvE, like mission running.  But your never gona need to replace them after that.  and a PvP pilot who would risk those implants probably wouldnt want to have to buy those again as well as attribute implants.

So yea, valuble of course, but no where near as valuble as attribute implants, and so the LP value from Concord wont be regarded as that valuble either.

Well, we'll see..  I think it will still be a case that running lvl 4's solo will be more worth while than :Incursions.  as fun as Incursions are.

And a PvP pilot who would risk those implants probably wouldnt want to have to buy those again as well as attribute implants.

You don't have to buy +6% implants. +3% cost around 150k isk each... One LV4 mission and they'll be paid...

Anyway, i was looking through the beta contract search tool, and you can easely find +5% for a low price like 2,5M for 5 of them...

You just have to check market and contracts often, and you'll make some good deals...

Originally posted by Lysarion

And a PvP pilot who would risk those implants probably wouldnt want to have to buy those again as well as attribute implants.

You don't have to buy +6% implants. +3% cost around 150k isk each... One LV4 mission and they'll be paid...

Anyway, i was looking through the beta contract search tool, and you can easely find +5% for a low price like 2,5M for 5 of them...

You just have to check market and contracts often, and you'll make some good deals...

Yea, its a fair point.   I dont doubt that they are usefull.   But the fact that they can be purchase so cheap is more an indication of their intrisic value.

Im just saying that, if you want to do incursions part of your reward are Concord Loyalty points,  but since with those points the only thing you would want to buy are hardwirings.. it kinda makes those LP's a bit worthless.

Anyway, i'm still hoping they'll provide more usefull rewards in Concord LP Store... just hoping, though...

But the fact that they can be purchase so cheap is more an indication of their intrisic value.

Value and price are two different things...

Originally posted by Gdemami

But the fact that they can be purchase so cheap is more an indication of their intrisic value.

Value and price are two different things...

They are different, but they share a relationship.

The price is nearly always related to their 'Perceived value' not its 'actual value'  since hardwiring prices are low, then their perceived value is low.   So if you were a businessman, regardless of your opinion you wouldnt invest in something which has a low perceived value, because you cant market it at a price which is profitable.

so a profiteer (which 99% of eve pilots are) investing your time participating in incursions can be viewed as having a lower value since the price of the reward products are low.  So the perceived value of incursions will also drop.

Currently its still an exciting new feature (and it is!)  but like withanything in eve, it will eventually come down to time invested vs reward.

So yes, Value and price are indeed two different things,  but they are linked which means that one will always effect the other.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

I'm pretty excited for Incursion overall. Sure, it might not be perfect, but what ever is?

Keep on rockin'!image

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

In EVE I have always missed the fun of PUGs.

No longer, thank to Incursion after 18 months of play I have finally got groups (fleets) and great fun it is too.

I have been in two fleets so far. First was by the book, a very experienced FC and a great bunch. Fanastic and 25 Mill.

The second had a great bunch but whether the interface was failing or the FC was distracted Primary and Secondary calling got a bit irratic. Consequently we didn't kill fast enough starting lossing support and boom. No armour and warp jammed. Fortunately for me a Battleship just took out the jammer before exploding allowing my Battlecruise to warp out with 0 Shields 2% armour and 30% structure (thanks to a last minute substitute of two armour reppers :)

All I can say, is fantastic stuff. A few more hi-incursion please, and maybe give up on the null sec ones :)

Hey, new rewards in Concord LP Store... BPCs for meta2 Cap modules... Guess what? 1B on market for those modules...

My alliance is currently farming incursions, already got 18BPCs(1run)... Pretty interresting, isn't it?  But if you want it to be profitable, you'll have to go to 0.0... (hard-core pops, really bigger reward)