Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCU is not another dead end game.

13»

Comments

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

i caint agree with DCUO being a dead-end game because it's the best superhero game on the market atm with a fantastic foundation and promise of lots more content. most CoX and CO peeps will undoubtedly and eventually play DCUO, if they already arent. mind you, thats all up to the devs...it can go either way.

I played DC am I hated it. My guild mates from CO woh went to play DCUO are canceling and getting back home. The only good thinkg about DCUO is the IP.

{Mod Edit}

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Kuinn

I only said SOME PEOPLE, not all, or even "large groups". Also I said it's an above average mmo in a long time, not super spiffy and awesome. I said both things as proven facts alone in this very sites forums.

You also said it is one of the games biggest problems. As if to suggest that most of the games problems are small in comparison to people complaining about the game not being what they wanted it to be. 

You, the original poster and others have made similar statements that the bigger problems of the game are somehow people.  As if they don't get the game or it didn't play how they expected or whatever.  Sorry to single your comment out, but I think it is appropriate. 

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by meetxj9

Alright lets get to it.

You're fighting a losing battle here, and, imho, you're making yourself look very fanboi-ish.

Surely, there were some design decisions and bugs that need to be addressed (like any mmo at release), but the number 1 issue that most of us have a problem with is the lack of content and that is a deciding factor in not buying the game.  Your claim that it is "a bit short on content" is an understatement and that it is justifiable beause the game was just released is simply laughable.  You can type until your fingers fall off, but nothing you write will change this fact.  For experienced gamers who aren't powerleveling, but just playing, we're looking for more than ~20-30 hours of content that will be completed before the first month is done. Aside frommore story, we're looking for replayability, which DCUO doesn't offer that much of, even with 6 patrons.

Champions Online largely faced the same criticism (aside from the day 1 patch) because it primarly lacked content and replayability (as well as didn't require much, if any, teaming).  DCUO may have a button-mashing fighting system that some love, but it has launched with even less content and less functional tools for teaming (and creating community) than CO and look where CO is now -- F2P.  The one benefit DCUO has going for it appears to be the PvP and we're going to see if that will be enough to justify ongoing subscriptions when we can get a similar PvP fix for free.

Edit:  One other thing:  Stating CO is the only game with more customization than DCUO is entirely incorrect. At the very lease, City of Heroes has far more customization capability than DCUO.  That has nothing to do with 7 years more maturity, just the present capabilities of each game when considering costume selection, costume coloring, and power customization.

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by therain93

Champions Online largely faced the same criticism (aside from the day 1 patch) because it primarly lacked content and replayability (as well as didn't require much, if any, teaming).  DCUO may have a button-mashing fighting system that some love, but it has launched with even less content and less functional tools for teaming (and creating community) than CO and look where CO is now -- F2P.  The one benefit DCUO has going for it appears to be the PvP and we're going to see if that will be enough to justify ongoing subscriptions when we can get a similar PvP fix for free.

Edit:  One other thing:  Stating CO is the only game with more customization than DCUO is entirely incorrect. At the very lease, City of Heroes has far more customization capability than DCUO.  That has nothing to do with 7 years more maturity, just the present capabilities of each game when considering costume selection, costume coloring, and power customization.

CO did not release with more content by any means, there were significant gaps in missions while levelling forcing mob farming as a stop gap and no consideration was given to endgame. DCUO offers a smooth levelling experience and offered endgame from day one - it needs more but then even today so does CO.

Content criticisms of CO went hand in hand with, grouping concerns, dull gameplay and a dreary gameworld that forced the player into poorly designed wilderness zones to a significant expression of disapointment, along a limited and solitary levelling path that failed to involve or immerse the player. CO's foundation was, and is imo, very badly flawed. By contrast although DCUO has some serious issues to address there is a very solid and oft praised core of a game to build upon.

COH does indeed offer greater customisation and imo a much better gameworld than CO and more content by far than either of the younger games (as you'd expect)

• meetxj9meetxj9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by therain93

Alright lets get to it.

You're fighting a losing battle here, and, imho, you're making yourself look very fanboi-ish.

Surely, there were some design decisions and bugs that need to be addressed (like any mmo at release), but the number 1 issue that most of us have a problem with is the lack of content and that is a deciding factor in not buying the game.  Your claim that it is "a bit short on content" is an understatement and that it is justifiable beause the game was just released is simply laughable.  You can type until your fingers fall off, but nothing you write will change this fact.  For experienced gamers who aren't powerleveling, but just playing, we're looking for more than ~20-30 hours of content that will be completed before the first month is done. Aside frommore story, we're looking for replayability, which DCUO doesn't offer that much of, even with 6 patrons.

I ain't fighting, just typing. I know by opening this thread i would have people coming in here and complaining the obvious. But also get some pretty redundent post about how special the poster is and how he deserves better. My biggest complaint about CO is not the content in general, its how everything is presented. Everything in CO feels like its being placed there for the sake of just being there. Regardless of the amount of content in CO, i didn't feel like i was apart of anything. But bare in mind the last time i played CO was 8 months ago.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I would actually like DCUO a helluva lot more if they fixed the chat system, the action bars, and... well, those 2 are the biggest issues  I have with the game at the moment, to be honest.

Another random suggestion would be to allow 'tech/gadgets' a special option for 'vehicle' travel... Batmobile, Invisible Jet, etc.,..

Originally posted by BlackWatch

I would actually like DCUO a helluva lot more if they fixed the chat system, the action bars, and... well, those 2 are the biggest issues  I have with the game at the moment, to be honest.

Another random suggestion would be to allow 'tech/gadgets' a special option for 'vehicle' travel... Batmobile, Invisible Jet, etc.,..

Allowing vehicles seems redundant. Our current movement sets are already a form of travel.Though i would not mind having vehicles, there has to be a reason to why vehicles are needed besides being bling. 

As always, the UI is the obvious problem. Nothing we haven't gone through yet. Hope they fix that soon.

There really isn't much can complain besides asking them to improve on what have been implemented. New story arcs, new power sets in the later future, new maps, new PVP and Rading content. 

One thing i like to point out is some are saying DCU is relying on its IP to actually pull gamers in. Which is true and false at the same time, for example, WAR had great lore and great characters, but they were poorly introduced and the lore never really went anywhere. Coupled with a stagnant gamplay, you might have a mess. DCU will pull any DC fan into it, but what makes it stand apart from things like TOR, is that its content is easily developed since most of the story arcs and base design have already been done by the actual DC publications. So there should not be any excuse on why DCU would be short on that. Things like major events like The Infinity Crisis or Blackest Night are both big story arcs in DC. 

I won't expect anything from the team or assume everything would be fine. What they have now is already a good staple, what they do with it is really up to them. But from what we saw in the latest update was some fresh content. Nothing ground breaking (i don't know why anyone would expect that), but its a start. Hope the next patch fix UI and some minor bugs.

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by sldrop

I think its a dead end game lol .. I mean what can they add every month to keep the player subing?

1+ new raid a month? + 1 new pvp ring? that won't keep this game going.  

They are discussing the game a bit more here which seems a bit more than what you are describing as a criticism.

You should probably try to read more than one gaming site to get a fuller picture of any game.

"Every month we're going to have a focus character -- roughly every month depending on how the updates come out. The main focus is that we hit quality [rather] than making sure we hit every four weeks. For this month, it's Catwoman.

As for being out after releasing for three weeks, this is pretty good actually for any new MMO:

Chris Cao:

"On top of that, for you PvPers, we now have a PvP open-world event just like we do in Metropolis for the War for the Rings and the Manhunters. There's now one fighting over all sorts of loot and common greed, just like you would in the streets of Gotham over armored cars and money bags. PvPers can get some more gank on there doing that.

Then we also have a new duo going in. We've kind of gussied up the Bane side of things and actually added a bunch of new minibosses and some more fights going in there. There's a whole new duo if you like doing the duos.

Then the sort of cap around it all is the Batcave 2. It's the next phase of the Batcave, where you actually fight Brother Eye. We've redone animations and effects and tuned the whole thing up. [We] watched where the players are -- as far as their skill points and their gear -- and tiered this to be another challenge for them. Now there will be three raids you can do every week as you go after that top-tier gear to be the best of the best on a given server."

I think it's fair to say that at 30, they've had about just as much content endgame wise as any MMO I've played at their respective launches, and in quite a few cases even more.

LOTRO had one endgame raid at launch if I remember right. AoC had one I think. I don't know what WoW or EQ2 had at launch; wasn't there then.

True, it does already exceed most of our expectations when it launched. The fact that  if they actually manage to relases new content every month coupled with new PVP and raids is already a miracle. What other MMO does that? 

WOW now only release patches to fix exploits and balance the game. Maybe even throw in a raid or open a part of the map for you if they finish developing it.  But even for Blizzard, that takes at least 1-3 months to finalize it and send it out. 

Originally posted by wesleyarts

i caint agree with DCUO being a dead-end game because it's the best superhero game on the market atm with a fantastic foundation and promise of lots more content. most CoX and CO peeps will undoubtedly and eventually play DCUO, if they already arent. mind you, thats all up to the devs...it can go either way.

I played DC am I hated it. My guild mates from CO woh went to play DCUO are canceling and getting back home. The only good thinkg about DCUO is the IP.

{Mod Edit}

Sorry to here that, but again, no facts.

Your statement clearly shows that your the kinda gamer that follows the herd. In short, if your friends don't play it, you won't either. Nothing we can do for you there.

You seem to play both sides of the field on the issue of facts.  Several times you have called people out for not posting "facts" when presenting their views.  As if that somehow invalidates them or whatever.

Then you turn around and littler your post with your opinions such as how warhammer didn't present the lore right or champions online placed content around in a meaningless fashion or how you think you know what kind of gamer the above poster is and how he will only play games his friends play.

You cannot have it both ways. 

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by wesleyarts

{Mod Edit}

Sorry to here that, but again, no facts.

Your statement clearly shows that your the kinda gamer that follows the herd. In short, if your friends don't play it, you won't either. Nothing we can do for you there.

You seem to play both sides of the field on the issue of facts.  Several times you have called people out for not posting "facts" when presenting their views.  As if that somehow invalidates them or whatever.

Then you turn around and littler your post with your opinions such as how warhammer didn't present the lore right or champions online placed content around in a meaningless fashion or how you think you know what kind of gamer the above poster is and how he will only play games his friends play.

You cannot have it both ways. 

Nothing wrong in playing both sides if both hold their own points in truth. Simply citing just because "my friends don't play it makes it a bad game" is somewhat questionable. 

If you point out a problem with the game, and its within the confines of the obvious and proven, then you are not wrong. You have proven your statement is valid. But when you are dealing with things like this:

For example

" This game has little content when it launched, i payed full price for it, i deserve more"

" I keep killing x mobs, i thought this would be different, i rather go kill bunnies"

" The design is stupid, why are the superheroes look so lame"

" I want more content and i want it now"

" I was a beta tester, Why didn't they fix what was wrong with it"

This is even more hilarious.

" I fight Gorilas? No thanks, i rather play COX"

This takes the cake.

"Why didn't they put in some functions like in WOW, share quest (I can agree on this one), more epics, better design map, open world, etc (As usual, 2 weeks into release, what were you expecting)

Sometimes we are met with dumb responses, sometimes even worst. If you have a good point, lets hear it. If you believe they should put in something to better the game, even better. 

I ain't gona go to the point where i start accusing people of being payed to make the game look bad by posting obvious problems but making a flame war out of it. It does happen, companies do that.

The solution, TIME.

How about some of these replies?

"Have you even seen wow's Character creation?"

"Then why are you playing a super hero game?  Have you read comics form MArvel and DC before? Have you seen the design in the comics?"

"What kind of community are you asking for? The WOW comunity?"

"Have you ever played an MMO then?"

"This is maybe he haven't even bothered to try it, in fear that maybe this game might kill his own community."

Not exactly the pinnacle of facts that you so often beat other people up for is it?

By the way, those are all from your original post.  It sort of set the mood for the thread, so it really isn't fair to try to hold people to a standard you are not following. 

• TheFurTheFur Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by TheFur

As always, people WILL gripe about anything even when they know what GENRE they are getting into. Ask a guy what is wrong with a game, and he will come out with hundreds of excuses and complaints. But ask him how to improve it or is there any game out there that meets his expectations, you will be met with a blank stare (your answer will mostly  be WOW). If you are not helping to improve what is wrong with the game or improve on the matter, and demanding what takes time to fix or implement, then single player games should be better for you since there is no community that would argue with you.

No game will grow without support, many have came before, and died off because of faulty gameplay and concept and planning. And i agree that games like AION, TR or AOC does not deserve your pity or time because their flaws are obvious. But if you are given the chance to help a good game grow, why beat it down with a stick only to complain about the next MMO thats gona be release later. 

In these regards you are just plain wrong. As a beta tester we told sony what the flaws with the game were and they fell on deaf ears. That is why the chat still sux, the UI still sux, major power set are still missing, and they launch an incomplete game.

I read the beta/particpated in the beta forums. They were not listening and didn't care. So take your selfrightious attitude somewhere else. You are trolling at it's best.

You do know what the actual meaning of trolling is right? Do you want me to give you link to a actual trolling subject? Get your facts right.

Just simply saying you were a beta tester doen't bring any valid points. Any tom dick and hairy got into beta. Hell even a kid with no experiance in MMO's can get into beta. We know that the UI is console based since launch, but that was never a big problem. Extra power sets? might be retracted to be fixed and balanced, ever think of that? As usual, your not providing facts or stating anything beside you being beta tester. It is not a title to be proud off, it never was.

THINK WITH COMMON SENSE. Any gripes and problems with the game will eventually be fixed. Its a matter of time. If you are not patient with the game, then you have a point, this is not for you. 

thanks for proving all my points. It was an unfinished buggy game that shouldn't have been release with as little content/customization as it had. If you had read all my post you would know I have been playing MMOs for over 15 yrs and beta tested over a dozen. {Mod Edit}

Thanks again. ignoring all your posts now.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

O man, IDK how many people can appreciate the endgame of DCUO. I just can not grind armor like that.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I bought the game since none was so kind to gimme a buddy key and there was no trial to grab either.

I will not subscribe since I think the game is boring and all that people do in it is get to level 30 and go gank level 1-15. 

The controls cant be changed, you got many skills but only 6  hotbars to use. Chat system and the ui is really sloppy and none thougth of. There is alot more wrong with it but I forgot half about it since I decided not to sub anymore.

I will play my free month then throw the game on the shelf like the rest of the 1month sub play worth games.

Game feels so boring compared to Rift cant wait till tomorrow when the next beta is up.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by patrikd23

I bought the game since none was so kind to gimme a buddy key and there was no trial to grab either.

I will not subscribe since I think the game is boring and all that people do in it is get to level 30 and go gank level 1-15. 

The controls cant be changed, you got many skills but only 6  hotbars to use. Chat system and the ui is really sloppy and none thougth of. There is alot more wrong with it but I forgot half about it since I decided not to sub anymore.

I will play my free month then throw the game on the shelf like the rest of the 1month sub play worth games.

Game feels so boring compared to Rift cant wait till tomorrow when the next beta is up.

lol, im guessing you missed all the feats, the exploration, the investigations, the  collections, the pvp gear, pve gear, the hard alerts, the raids, the duos, the legends pvp char unlocks, etc etc

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by emota

Originally posted by patrikd23

lol, im guessing you missed all the feats, the exploration, the investigations, the  collections, the pvp gear, pve gear, the hard alerts, the raids, the duos, the legends pvp char unlocks, etc etc

I'll finish some of the etc, etc.....

He also didn't learn how to use loadouts so he could play different roles with the different skills (my damage, stealth and control loadouts are all different - which means I use all the skills I have, just pick the right ones for the situation. I find it a challenge just as in old EQ 1 days to load up the right powers and struggle with which to leave out. I also realize that if I had access to all of my powers all the time it would bring a new paradigm in 'overpowered'.

And although ganking is ubiquitous, it is not 'all' that every lvl 30 does....you may see 2 or 3 30s ganking one area for about 5 to 10 min. Usually within 10 min, the newbs have had it and call in their 30 friends/leaguemates or log in to their main and generally you see about 20 people gang up on that 30 and they leave with their tail between their legs.

I don't know what he means by 'the controls can't be changed' - there is a keybinding page in the menus....maybe he's talking about the mouse and mouse/combos - but if that isn't good with him, I'm trying to figure out what he wants to do differently....maybe macro himself a win button.

The UI is not user friendly, I'll give him that.

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by odinsrath

its truely a great ps3 title as of now..nothing more..nothing less..but ya it just dont work great for pc..will they change it? ...hell no..like i have been saying all along and many other posts..its a great ps3 title ..pc users of this game just need to not even think about buying this...console all tha way for this title

I am sorry I love the PC title. The game is designed perfectly for a PC set up if you use a nostromo n52 and a mouse. Personally I tried both during beta and I can't stand using a PS3 controller in comparison.

Im surprise my thread actually made this far. The amount of gripes are incredible. From the self proclaim entitlements to difficulty lvl's? 

Originally posted by Daffid011

How about some of these replies?

"Have you even seen wow's Character creation?"

"Then why are you playing a super hero game?  Have you read comics form MArvel and DC before? Have you seen the design in the comics?"

"What kind of community are you asking for? The WOW comunity?"

"Have you ever played an MMO then?"

"This is maybe he haven't even bothered to try it, in fear that maybe this game might kill his own community."

Not exactly the pinnacle of facts that you so often beat other people up for is it?

By the way, those are all from your original post.  It sort of set the mood for the thread, so it really isn't fair to try to hold people to a standard you are not following. 

You my friend have no sense of humor~ If you want me to follow a direct standard, i can~ But only to you, since you like no nonsense discussions.

• IofielIofiel Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by meetxj9 better the game, even better. 

I ain't gona go to the point where i start accusing people of being payed to make the game look bad by posting obvious problems but making a flame war out of it. It does happen, companies do that.

The solution, TIME.

That's fair.  I'll keep waiting and maybe after enough TIME, this might be a game worth paying for/subscribing too.  Paying money for it before that TIME lapses and the issues are fixed seems pretty silly though.

• BaubleheadBaublehead Member Posts: 21

I could forgive a lack of content if they were promising to add more each month, provided the game was fun AND polished.

There are some fun elements, I do agree, but polish?  LOLISH.

I just can't forgive all the bugs and bad porting.  I'll keep my eye on the game but all I hear out of them is talk about Valentine's Day events *twirls finger* so I'm canceled.  Let someone else pay-to-test.

Harumph :p

RIFT - You're not in Azeroth anymore. Oh hey, would you mind throwing this net on 10 of those squirrels over there? (Yes, that is an actual quest).

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

I honestly have not had this much fun in a long time. Granted the UI is a bit sloppy (I hear it's worse on PC, it seems sluggish but manageable on PS3), level cap is low and there's not tons of end game right now. I was a skeptic but, the game is very entertaining and refreshing (Played WoW for a long time, tried ff14, rift beta, nothing can keep my interest for more than a week). I was very hesitant on purchasing it, but I would strongly recommend it (the PS3 version at least).