Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Some Help Deciding Which Career I Wanna Do

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

Okay, so i got a 21 day trial and i played eve back in 08 for a good 5 months or so and was essentially a lowsec pirate for the majority of that time, it was real fun, made some great friends but i'm not too sure if i wanna do that again, i'm in the process of the tutorial where i'm trying all the different types of careers and the industry one seems to have drawn my attention more than i thought it was but i also loved the rush i got when i was a lowsec pirate back in 08, so i'm basically asking which should i pursue first, cause if i make my current character an industry and play on him for a few months, i will eventually make a pvp character, or vice versa im just stuck deciding which one to do first. 

Comments

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

Okay, so i got a 21 day trial and i played eve back in 08 for a good 5 months or so and was essentially a lowsec pirate for the majority of that time, it was real fun, made some great friends but i'm not too sure if i wanna do that again, i'm in the process of the tutorial where i'm trying all the different types of careers and the industry one seems to have drawn my attention more than i thought it was but i also loved the rush i got when i was a lowsec pirate back in 08, so i'm basically asking which should i pursue first, cause if i make my current character an industry and play on him for a few months, i will eventually make a pvp character, or vice versa im just stuck deciding which one to do first. 

Well if you're gonna pirate then you'll be expecting to lose plenty of ships.. And without isk to buy more ships  you can't do much.. So i'd say industry/mission first for isk then when you get a nice ammount built up start makeing some cheap drakes and go pirate away lol :)

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

Okay thanks, but how much isk should i build up b4 starting to pirate, and which indy skills should i train before others?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

You could also consider finding a corporation that will replace pvp ships free of charge if you fight in an op with them.

Training into a specific role can help with this as well, such as ECM, Logistics, or even just starting as a tackler.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

Okay thanks, but how much isk should i build up b4 starting to pirate, and which indy skills should i train before others?

That's kind of a "how long is a piece of string" question. ISK making in EVE should be something you either enjoy, or something you can do while basically doing something else. Otherwise you're almost certainly better off just working some overtime and buying GTC to sell PLEX.

If you basically have a PvP focus then ratting, missioning and plexing will use the skills you already have. Missioning has the advantage of being non-competitive: no matter how many other people want to run missions, you can still run them and get pretty much the same reward. However hi-sec missions are the lowest ISK/hr ratio. I joke that I do missions when I can't be bothered to play EVE. I can surf the web or watch films or read, and use about 10% of my attention to keep on missioning and maybe chat a little with my friends in game. Meanwhile, I get about 30 mill an hour in what is basically my downtime.

Ratting and plexing in 0.0 will demand more attention because you have to constantly watch local for hostiles, plus all the issues with logistics and so forth. But the rewards can be far higher. Chaining Havens and Sanctums in a level 5 upgraded system can make you ridiculous amounts of ISK. For an evening of doing this, I would expect to make about 300 mill in raw ISK, plus whatever faction loot, plus a chance of a 10/10 escalation. If you can get someone to come along in a Noctis and split the loot and salvage with you, then you'll make even more.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

I'd strongly discourage from joining Blast.

It's just a meatshield alliance and will get thrown under the bus in case of any serious trouble. Plus, it's incredibly unstable, as evidenced by the number of corps leaving and joining. (And the amount of juicy forum threads emerging from them..)

Actually, isn't blast in the middle of a full blown failure? They dropped from 1.4k members and 21 corps to 13 corps and less than 700 members, losing half of their sov.

You can usually identify stable and good corporations and alliances by looking at their membership and corporation graphs. The flatter the better. The more fluctuation, the more likely they are of collapsing or blowing up in a huge drama bomb.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance offers membership graphs of basically every alliance with sov. If you want to join one and there is lots of fluctuations, you should ask some questions about the reasons. If there are indications of internal problems, it's safe to say that you don't want to be stuck in between dramaqueens.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

If your already an experienced Pirate, then I think you will find it a bit mundane to try any other career out.

Usually pirates step up from pirating to real pvp, since your a bit rusty I'd suggesting putting your hand in a Faction Warfare.

Of course if your starting a new character it may be difficult to convince a real 0.0 pvp corp that your up to the task of living in 0.0, but that would seem to me to be your ultimate goal.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by sadeyx

If your already an experienced Pirate, then I think you will find it a bit mundane to try any other career out.

Usually pirates step up from pirating to real pvp, since your a bit rusty I'd suggesting putting your hand in a Faction Warfare.

Of course if your starting a new character it may be difficult to convince a real 0.0 pvp corp that your up to the task of living in 0.0, but that would seem to me to be your ultimate goal.

What's real pvp and how is it different than what you consider to be the fake kind of PvP?

Originally posted by Hazelle

What's real pvp and how is it different than what you consider to be the fake kind of PvP?

OK bad choice of words.

A Pirate, like any criminal prey's on the weak, their targets are people that dont fight back, or if they do fight back they give themselves overwhelming odds.   The challenge a pirate is looking for is even less than the challenge an AI opponent would give him.

Personally when I want to fight I want a good fight when my victory is an acheivment, an accomplishment where I have demonstrated superior skill, knowledge or understanting.  This to me is 'real' pvp.

But your right, technically if a pirate destroys a miner who is afk it is indeed pvp.  I dont know what other word to use, but its not REALLY pvp is it?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

OK bad choice of words.

A Pirate, like any criminal prey's on the weak, their targets are people that dont fight back, or if they do fight back they give themselves overwhelming odds.   The challenge a pirate is looking for is even less than the challenge an AI opponent would give him.

Personally when I want to fight I want a good fight when my victory is an acheivment, an accomplishment where I have demonstrated superior skill, knowledge or understanting.  This to me is 'real' pvp.

But your right, technically if a pirate destroys a miner who is afk it is indeed pvp.  I dont know what other word to use, but its not REALLY pvp is it?

Well you've shown "superior understanding" by not leaving your expensive ship AFK in space, so kind of, yeah,

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

OK bad choice of words.

It really is pvp, yes. The "victim" had all the time in the world to counteract or protect himself. If he dies, he has already failed. This is quite literally pvp.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

If I was thinking about running 2 accounts for the purpose of using 1 for piracy and 1 for industry, I wouldn't have to really "choose" what to do first then  :-)   Just have your industry account training and manufactoring while you go out and pirate on your other account.     

In terms of isk, you will want to give yourself a buffer for lost ships during your pvp runs so that may require spending a little more time alloted for your industry character to start making profits.        In the meantime, you may want to do what others suggested and just run missions/combat sites to earn some isk.    You would do this on your pirate character while his/her security status is still high enough to access plenty of agents. Also, you will have the combat skills on that character and not your industry character.

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

Originally posted by batolemaeus

It really is pvp, yes. The "victim" had all the time in the world to counteract or protect himself. If he dies, he has already failed. This is quite literally pvp.

Yes, I dont dis-agree that it IS technically, but its a cowards PvP,  its just ganking, anyone can gank.

I do recognise the thrill's that can be had from it and can understand why for some it can be the only kind of pvp they ever desire, but the typical human mind ends up craving something more of a challenge.  Fighting for something that has meaning, carving out a name for yourself.

Think of "the eye of the tiger" song ;)

Nearly every skilled pvp player/corp I know in Eve have indeed started out life as pirates, but they have all moved on from that, they regard that as childs play now.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by batolemaeus

OK bad choice of words.

Good point!

Keep on rockin'!image