Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s Your Style? Jon Peters Talks About GW2 Combat

2»

Comments

• NozzieNozzie Member Posts: 54

Guardians are not going to be the only support profession . Every profession released so far has had team buffs & heals . Warriors have Banners & Shouts . Elementalists have several AoE healing skills . Rangers have a group buff & an AoE heal . While Necromancers have Mark of Blood & Well of Blood

GW2 is not going to be one of those games where you just concentrate on your DPS rotation & leave the healing & tanking to others . Everyone is going to have to fill every role to a degree & as far as I can tell from gameplay footage the only way to see another players health is to mouse over their character ( I don't know if there will be a Party Window showing health if you are in a group ) . I think PvP & the Elite PvE areas of this game will require a lot of concentration & group co-ordination .  

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

People talk about GW2 and whether or not it's overhyped, but I just can't help being more and more impressed every time they release new information. 

For example, if you put 10 seconds of regeneration on an ally and they already has 5 seconds of regeneration remaining, they will now have a total of 15 seconds of regeneration. More overall health, but not any more efficient.

This is something people have had concerns about, that a game based on ungrouped strangers working together will be sloppy and inefficient because everybody will be wasting their healing effects due to dumping them all on someone at the same time.  While this still isn't a perfectly efficient system (which would probably be impossible), it makes perfect sense for this kind of game and is an area that maybe another developer drops the ball or sticks to the status quo.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• oafuapeoafuape Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Nozzie

Guardians are not going to be the only support profession . Every profession released so far has had team buffs & heals . Warriors have Banners & Shouts . Elementalists have several AoE healing skills . Rangers have a group buff & an AoE heal . While Necromancers have Mark of Blood & Well of Blood

GW2 is not going to be one of those games where you just concentrate on your DPS rotation & leave the healing & tanking to others . Everyone is going to have to fill every role to a degree & as far as I can tell from gameplay footage the only way to see another players health is to mouse over their character ( I don't know if there will be a Party Window showing health if you are in a group ) . I think PvP & the Elite PvE areas of this game will require a lot of concentration & group co-ordination .  

stuff like that makes me want to play this game even more. No more will you have have arrogant people who put nothing into support or healing and start blaming you when they die. IN GW2, its a collective support so no excuses 

• roughneck60roughneck60 Member UncommonPosts: 3

IMO what A-Net is really doing here is making it blatantly obvious that player interaction is the overall goal. Each profession is of course capable of soloing but they are really making an effort to get people to interact on the battlefield in a more real-time aspect. I see alot of commentary about how they are taking on to many systems or trying to add their own flavor to every existing convention, well truth of it is, THATS GREAT. I have no fear that they will deliver a system that works, because A-Net has vowed not to release any components of GW2 that hasn't been tested, iterated, tested again, and worked to a fully functional finish. When we finally see it posted on websites, or forums it has been fully play tested and retweaked. I for one am going to just inpatiently wait and see what happens rather than create a fuss over something I haven't even played yet.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

"you create a combat system that is more like a first person shooter where finding real cover"

Does anyone know if they've released info on crouching/prone? That would make the environment really important and add a whole new dynamic to tactical play. I know they've said you can climb trees + go under water --> sounds like that will make a much bigger difference to the game than just adding more places to explore

"moving into position to block attacks on allies is how we want players to defend each other"

Does this mean if you target an enemy, send an attack (arrow, fireball etc.) and someone else runs in front (by accident or on purpose) at the right time that they'll get hit? 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by dubledub

"you create a combat system that is more like a first person shooter where finding real cover"

Does anyone know if they've released info on crouching/prone? That would make the environment really important and add a whole new dynamic to tactical play. I know they've said you can climb trees + go under water --> sounds like that will make a much bigger difference to the game than just adding more places to explore

"moving into position to block attacks on allies is how we want players to defend each other"

Does this mean if you target an enemy, send an attack (arrow, fireball etc.) and someone else runs in front (by accident or on purpose) at the right time that they'll get hit? 

Not sure about your first question. On your second, I'm pretty sure there is no friendly fire.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I'm not sure about climbing in trees, there won't be crouching. And yes, if you fire a flaming turd at an enemy and another enemy gets in the way or the first enemy steps aside, it won't hit the enemy you originally targeted.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

I prob doubt there will be any tree climbing - though they did say this before they even started to work on the game, but they havent really mentioned it since then at all of what so ever.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

You'd think crouching/prone would be pretty easy to implement. Then you could hide behind rocks and stuff, or pretend to be dead like in an FPS. I really like what I'm hearing but THAT would be great. (hear that Anet?) ^^

You really are gonna have to watch your surroundings then rather than your health bar so you don't get hit in the face by a projectile that wasn't aimed for you! (wonder if it happens with melee too? like if you run between two people fighting)

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Maggon

I prob doubt there will be any tree climbing - though they did say this before they even started to work on the game, but they havent really mentioned it since then at all of what so ever.

Actually we have hear various mentions of climbing trees. I DO NOT think this is a literal meaning of clmbing a tree. But there was mention that in WvW you could sit in a tree and scout. This was not too long ago, maybe a few months back. I reckon you might be able to get on top of a tree or something, but they did say climb. We won't know how it looks until someone actually does it. For all we know, climbing a tree might just mean climbing up into a post ontop of a tree.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

its not healthy for me that I now feel even more hyped !

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

Good article.  Interesting bit about the boons.  That should certainly make it easy to balance it out between the classes.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Originally posted by Maggon

Actually we have hear various mentions of climbing trees. I DO NOT think this is a literal meaning of clmbing a tree. But there was mention that in WvW you could sit in a tree and scout. This was not too long ago, maybe a few months back. I reckon you might be able to get on top of a tree or something, but they did say climb. We won't know how it looks until someone actually does it. For all we know, climbing a tree might just mean climbing up into a post ontop of a tree.

Really :| ?

I can't believe I missed that xD...

I remember back when they announced they were going to work on GW2 they said something about climbing tree's and I was like: "Im soo going to climb all the tree's i'll see" ;P

If you could point me in the right direction to figure out where I missed this info would be amazing !

• natetheheronatethehero Member Posts: 41

I haven't read anything about climbing trees since 2007, but they did say that an unrevealed profession had much more in the way of environment skills than other professions, so that might include climbing and attacking from trees.

• natetheheronatethehero Member Posts: 41

In reading Jon's most recent blog post at Arenanet, I'm again reminded of why I'm so excited for this game. I love MMOs, but I'm not so mired in their conventions to worry about where Guild Wars 2 might be changing up their combat too much for the traditional crowd. They've constantly re-iterated how they want their combat to be tactical and visceral, and from watching all of the skill videos they seem to be well on their way. By borrowing many of the design conventions of FPS and/or third person action games, namely trying to communicate every bit of info a player needs to play and react to the action through visuals and audio, players can actually play the game and not the UI. I have played through many encounters on WoW, WAR, and GW, where I realize I'm barely looking away from my skill bar or the enemy's health bar. Hell, this game sounds like with a little tweaking, you could easily play it on an Xbox controller plugged into your PC (something I would really enjoy).

Without playing the game, it's impossible to know whether it works as well as they want it to or not, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'm super excited though, and I have a very very strong feeling that I won't be disappointed.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

all great news and a great read. In all Honesty Im glad i will be playing with my RL friends.

This new combat system will test MMO players. It will be much more twitchy and those who watch rotations in WoW raids will not find a comfortable home here.

Anet knows how to hype a game  and they also know that this a risk and they are doing something truly new. Not saying dynamic content like Rift (yeah we get it mobs come from the sky and kill our quest givers)

• ZenakouZenakou Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by natethehero

In reading Jon's most recent blog post at Arenanet, I'm again reminded of why I'm so excited for this game. I love MMOs, but I'm not so mired in their conventions to worry about where Guild Wars 2 might be changing up their combat too much for the traditional crowd. They've constantly re-iterated how they want their combat to be tactical and visceral, and from watching all of the skill videos they seem to be well on their way. By borrowing many of the design conventions of FPS and/or third person action games, namely trying to communicate every bit of info a player needs to play and react to the action through visuals and audio, players can actually play the game and not the UI. I have played through many encounters on WoW, WAR, and GW, where I realize I'm barely looking away from my skill bar or the enemy's health bar. Hell, this game sounds like with a little tweaking, you could easily play it on an Xbox controller plugged into your PC (something I would really enjoy).

Without playing the game, it's impossible to know whether it works as well as they want it to or not, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'm super excited though, and I have a very very strong feeling that I won't be disappointed.

Me too, GW2 is quite the breath of fresh air. I hate having to pay more attention to the UI instead of being able to enjoy the combat and what not going on around me in a game.