Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Best MMO 2011

12346»

Comments

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Sorrow

Yes I know it is only the last day of January, and we have 11 more months to go with a ton of really anticipated games slotted to release this year, but I feel more confident in making this statement than I have ever felt about any game ever before.

I am not just making this statement wildly as hype.

I am making this statement as someone who has played every phase of the beta, and carefully and critically watched the progression of the game.

I am making this statement as someone who has sat thru the dev chats and listened carefully and asked many pointed questions.

I am making this statement as someone who has played all 4 bases classes to 30, and find each and every build I have tried equally fun and playable,

I am making this statement as someone who has spent many many hours in the pvp warfronts as well as the world instances on both factions.

I am making this statement as someone who reported over 1000 bugs and had EVERY one of them fixed in beta.

I am making this statement as someone who made first report on a bug only to have the devs bring the server down ten minutes later patch the fix for the bug and bring the servers back online within 20 minutes.

I am making this statement as a player who has spent endless hours off the main quests, roads, and story out exploring the world and finding all the amazing little things they did not have to add but did. (Hidden piles of treasure on mountain tops, complex and interactive puzzles to unlock secret rooms and quests, stand alone quests deep off the main tracks, random named monsters with unique loot drops, not to mention the best made world in any game ever. )

I am making this statement as someone who has weaved in and out of the roots of a banyan tree with PERFECT collisions on every root in a massive swamp. Most games would just make the tree, roots and all a solid object for collision, RIFT took the time and effort to make it virtually real.

I am making this statement as someone who knows RIFT took from other games, they took the BEST left the rest.

I am making this statement as someone who remembers 90% of this dev team from when they worked at Verant Interactive( creator's of Everquest ), Turbine ( creator's of Ascheron's Call ), and Blizzard ( creator's of WoW ).  The RIFT dev staff are tried and tested developers with vision and original thought. The RIFT devs are NOT part of  this new generation of tech school developers that are ruining the industry with thier lack of creativity, lack of imagination, and lack of inspiration. Many of the RIFT developers are the 1st generation of MMO developers when game developers were gamers first and foremost. This is a dev team that cares what players think and provide what players want.

I am not making this statement lightly or without careful forethought and I stand behind it,

RIFT will be the best MMO of 2011, possibly of all time

I agree to what u say about the dev team of Rift taking sersly the notes about bugs and staff and correcting them fast.

Most of other things u mention maybe correct. I cant judge them cause i havent spend this ammount of time as u.

My problem is this. I made a hasty preview listing the main game's problems and good things .Whatever u may think when u play the game it's these animations and combat mechanisms that drive demanding players off.Now if Rift's devs manage somwhow to improve greately combat mechanisms and animations of characters to make them smooth like wow's and characters animations during combat allright. I dont remember any game though that changed the style of animations and combat mechs so close to launch and sadly this is the main problem Rift is facing from my point of view . I am an expirienced rpg gamer and mmorpg gamer and trust me i know what im talking about.

Players if combat is working greately and visually has great animaations will play a game no matter of what bugs there are . Simply cause combat is what all players will do whether thy do mob fights, rift fights, pvp ,raids etc etc

If Rift's devs though focus of just watching the trees and dont see the forest? Hell game sint going anywhere. (Yeah forest = combat)

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

There are a lot of highly anticipated MMO's set to launch this year. Some may live up to their hype or exceed it and others will not. December will be the time for these type of discussions.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

It's only February and the game isn't even released yet. Don't get me wrong, I plan on playing Rift when it comes out and passing on Guild Wars 2 and all the others, but let's be realistic here. It's too early to pick Best MMO of the Year. Stop giving the haters a reason to hate.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

You guys hyping DCUO need to play it a bit longer, come back to us in a month and tell us if you still feel the same way.

Be aware that SOE had a employee parking lot meeting right before christmas and fired more than half of the dev staff, hence why they came out and posted they will only patch once per month.

The game was designed for the PS3 with PC only added as an afterthought with little to no support for the platform.

Most of the remaining dev staff at SOE have been rolled into the AGENCY mmo project.

End game? Promises of added content? There is no end game or promised end game content, that does not mean SOE hasnt held back half the original game to sell you as an expansion in a month or two.

Anyway I had a 200 active member legion on DCUO and every one of them has already canceled most did not even play out the first full month before uninstalling the game.

Sorry guys but DCUO is a dead horse walking a few more steps and she will drop out from under you.

If you want to argue a game that may surprass RIFT the ONLY game out there atm is TERA, I was extremely impressed with what TERA was showing at E3 as well as the updates at the GDCO.

The other title everyone is wating for is going to be a huge let down Im sorry to say.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Yes I know it is only the last day of January, and we have 11 more months to go with a ton of really anticipated games slotted to release this year, but I feel more confident in making this statement than I have ever felt about any game ever before.

I am not just making this statement wildly as hype.

I am making this statement as someone who has played every phase of the beta, and carefully and critically watched the progression of the game.

I am making this statement as someone who has sat thru the dev chats and listened carefully and asked many pointed questions.

I am making this statement as someone who has played all 4 bases classes to 30, and find each and every build I have tried equally fun and playable,

I am making this statement as someone who has spent many many hours in the pvp warfronts as well as the world instances on both factions.

I am making this statement as someone who reported over 1000 bugs and had EVERY one of them fixed in beta.

I am making this statement as someone who made first report on a bug only to have the devs bring the server down ten minutes later patch the fix for the bug and bring the servers back online within 20 minutes.

I am making this statement as a player who has spent endless hours off the main quests, roads, and story out exploring the world and finding all the amazing little things they did not have to add but did. (Hidden piles of treasure on mountain tops, complex and interactive puzzles to unlock secret rooms and quests, stand alone quests deep off the main tracks, random named monsters with unique loot drops, not to mention the best made world in any game ever. )

I am making this statement as someone who has weaved in and out of the roots of a banyan tree with PERFECT collisions on every root in a massive swamp. Most games would just make the tree, roots and all a solid object for collision, RIFT took the time and effort to make it virtually real.

I am making this statement as someone who knows RIFT took from other games, they took the BEST left the rest.

I am making this statement as someone who remembers 90% of this dev team from when they worked at Verant Interactive( creator's of Everquest ), Turbine ( creator's of Ascheron's Call ), and Blizzard ( creator's of WoW ).  The RIFT dev staff are tried and tested developers with vision and original thought. The RIFT devs are NOT part of  this new generation of tech school developers that are ruining the industry with thier lack of creativity, lack of imagination, and lack of inspiration. Many of the RIFT developers are the 1st generation of MMO developers when game developers were gamers first and foremost. This is a dev team that cares what players think and provide what players want.

I am not making this statement lightly or without careful forethought and I stand behind it,

Seriously?

Dude...it's ONLY Feb 1.

[mod edit]

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Rift is nothing more than another linear mind-numbing slog to maximum level (50 in this case) where you will run dungeons and warfronts until you start running out of people to play with because they've quietly slipped away to do something else. Frankly, the game feels a lot like Aion and the soul-swapping is little more than a gimmicky way of switching specs.

Save your high praise until the first sixty days have passed and the people who paid for a 6-month Founders subscription start lamenting wasting the money. This development team, despite all their own hype, doesn't have what it takes to pull this off.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I don't hate Rift but no way will this be the best mmo 2011. Either TOR or GW2 will be ot both of them will be. Rift has a ton of fedex quest which is ultimately boring and no different that the stuff we got back in 2005. Rift events are ok but all that fedex quest grind is a big turn off.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

Originally posted by Sovrath

Rift is fun, I'm going to play it. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Sovrath, i always love you un-bias reviews.  Also love your posts in official Lineage 2 forums.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Rift is nothing more than another linear mind-numbing slog to maximum level (50 in this case) where you will run dungeons and warfronts until you start running out of people to play with because they've quietly slipped away to do something else. Frankly, the game feels a lot like Aion and the soul-swapping is little more than a gimmicky way of switching specs.

Save your high praise until the first sixty days have passed and the people who paid for a 6-month Founders subscription start lamenting wasting the money. This development team, despite all their own hype, doesn't have what it takes to pull this off.

I wouldn't say they don't have what it takes. It's entirely possible to develop a decent thempark game. It won't be this monumental juggarnaught than fanboys think it will, but it's possible to maintain a following.

This does have Aion written all over it though.

With that said, how about waiting till the game comes out and you actually get to the endgame to make such a wild claim :)

Rift benefits from the lack of quality releases as of late. A decent amount of people that are going to play Rift are playing until something better comes along.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by LordDraekon

I wouldn't say they don't have what it takes. It's entirely possible to develop a decent thempark game. It won't be this monumental juggarnaught than fanboys think it will, but it's possible to maintain a following.

This does have Aion written all over it though.

With that said, how about waiting till the game comes out and you actually get to the endgame to make such a wild claim :)

Rift benefits from the lack of quality releases as of late. A decent amount of people that are going to play Rift are playing until something better comes along.

How does it have Aion written all over it? Who honestly expected a Korean grind fest with a few extra quests added to be successful in the west?

And if you think it is like Aion from a gameplay stand point we must have been playing two different Aions because it is nothing like Rift at all.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I really do not get the total and complete fabrications posted by people that obviously havent even played the game.

Not that I should be surprised I guess as there are also people lying claiming DCUO and Earthrise are great games.

I mean I can kinda understand DCUO as tons of people were suckers and bought the lifetime, they are kinda  invested in the game and its painful watching how fast the server populations are dropping to nothing.

But how anyone can be defending Earthrise is beyond me.

Anyway all I can say at this point is play the games and judge for yourself, don't get swayed by me or anyone else.

Oh and if you truly find a better game out there than RIFT please lemme know because I am playing or testing pretty much everything and I have yet to see one.

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

LOL Statement, statement and more statement.... nice, you haven't even seen 5% of all mmo that comes out this year.

CITAT (soruce "PC gamer sweden") Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) tested 6 hours.

"I can't even see how anyone concider geting back to an other mmo after playing this for 6 hours"

Thats my horse to bet my money on 2011 !!

LOL statement :D

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Best New MMO of 2011 Im sure it is, Best MMO of 2011 no.

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

2011 just started, I think it's a bit early to be giving awards away.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Seriously, this post is still going. It will not be winning an award for best game of 2011, maybe atm sure, but I think DCUO is much better. Then again that my opinion and it means nothing in the end just as the OPs opinion.