Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by elocke

Because Tera only offers innovation in combat.  Woopdie doo.  AoC did that too and look what happened.  Rift offers POLISHED gameplay with the first true Dynamic content to hit the MMO scene.

I suspect that Tera will drop at least as polished as Rift (which just means it works in this case). I personaly think Tera will also feature a lot more world fluff and better character creation and that that and other features will give it a longer life overall.

and personally, after the first or second weekend, I found the randomly popping spawn points to zerg called rifts tedious and was going out of my way to avoid. They arnt what i thought of when Trion was selling 'dynamic' all that time ago tbh.

I am no fan of Tera, I won't be buying it, but to my mind if someone forced me to play one of these games it would be Tera. Rift was so mundane and boring in it's cut'n'paste approach.

IMO, people that want vitual knitting simulators to just keep their hands busy after a day at work will go for rift, because it demands little, while people looking for a game to engage, switch them on, them and challange them will go for Tera.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Because Tera only offers innovation in combat.  Woopdie doo.  AoC did that too and look what happened.  Rift offers POLISHED gameplay with the first true Dynamic content to hit the MMO scene.

or let's call that random public quests ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Ciccero

Said it on Zam

Terra is a mock attempt at westernizing yet another Asian MMO

It is a grind fest.....and what is the deal with EARS in Asian MMOs ? Why cant everyone have normal ears....

The game is a grind, jsut like Aion and it's attempt to nab the Western Market, it will fail.

Americans like goals, Americans do not like leveling to be the primary goal.

Leveling is a stepping stone. In order to enter X I have to hit level A. Once I can do X, I have to gather items 1-9 over a period of time to enter Z. and so on. Leveling is a stepping stone, as I said, and the Asians have yet to figure that out. Their target for THE ASIAN MARKET is keep a person engrossed in the leveling aspect and to make it less painful HERES OUR ITEM SHOP ! GAIN 20% MORE EXP FOR 1 HOUR FOR 3.00 !!!!

Yah, they are not the brightest bunch of R and D groups. They have no clue how Americans think and view gaming and they never will because once they break that mold,then every Asian playing their games will walk away....because Asians, unlike Americans, love the elvel Grind...give me 200 more levels and a gain rate that takes me 3 years to hit it and I will spend me hard earned money,,,that's the Asian POV

Not of what you said made any sense. Its was way over generalized and not very true. The asian market has know what americans want for a long time. Its funny people keeps saying they don't know our market. Remember Nintendo? Where do you think that came from? Also its not the Korean marketer pushing the game to the US its Americans. Point is the MMO market has changed  and that's why it feels like all Korean MMO's are grinders because thats what their auidence like. They are just kind enough to go thru the trouble of shooting us a copy. If you don't like it don't play its not hard. But don't go around acting like you know anything marketing. Clearly, they know out market well.

Originally posted by afoaa

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Timukas

So you calling people trolls because they do not like Tera? This is not Tera thread but thread on both games. I do not like anything in Tera tbh. If I want a game without auto-target then I play FE where I have really nice rifles and pistols instead of ridiculous barn door sized axes.

MMOs have ridicoulus unrealistic combat mechanics so why shouldn't the weapons be like that too?

This is really a question about art. In a game like Mount and blade it would just be silly but it is actually somewhat realistic in more ways than the art.

Well there is a difference between unrealistic and plain silly.

The mega weapons you see in many Korean games looks like you are compensating for something when you wield them.

So you don't like the asian themed art style, so that makes it silly? Fanstasy has always had oversixed weapons and this game is no different. Look at any fantasty MMO. Why does this one in particular mean you have to be over compensating? Its a game and its silly to analyize fake creatures.

People have been burned off by Korean games with beautiful graphics and crappy gameplay for too long to trust a new super shiny graphic game from there.

In the west you make the gameplay good first and THEN you focus on looks else the game will fail no matter how much shine you put on it. Many western games make the same mistake of putting shine first but they always dwindle away.

There are also other elements that really really annoy many people in the west. One is weird movement systems, weird sounds, over girly female characters, too big weapons and too much flashy graphics. Lately the japanese game fashion of putting way too small heads on big bodies is adding to the annoyance.

People in the west want games to give them interesting and fun gameplay that is varied, and once that is achieved give them figures that they can identify with either from the real world of the fantasy worlds of their youth which in many cases are from comics. Most eastern games give neither.

You ammusing what Everyone wants in the west? I'm also assuming that you tried every Asian MMO? I'm not trying to be a smartass but I think you are getting these idea from your own annoyances of Asian games. Its your opinion and far from fact.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by Lathander81

So you calling people trolls because they do not like Tera? This is not Tera thread but thread on both games. I do not like anything in Tera tbh. If I want a game without auto-target then I play FE where I have really nice rifles and pistols instead of ridiculous barn door sized axes.

MMOs have ridicoulus unrealistic combat mechanics so why shouldn't the weapons be like that too?

This is really a question about art. In a game like Mount and blade it would just be silly but it is actually somewhat realistic in more ways than the art.

The mega weapons you see in many Korean games looks like you are compensating for something when you wield them.

So you don't like the asian themed art style, so that makes it silly? Fanstasy has always had oversixed weapons and this game is no different. Look at any fantasty MMO. Why does this one in particular mean you have to be over compensating? Its a game and its silly to analyize fake creatures.

actually it's just the asians who need those huge ones, european and american fantasy never really got into those BIIIIIG weapons :)

in europe only the scotts ever used weapons nearly as big, and i doubt americans ever did (unless you count complete nuklear over-arming)

personally i allways prefered the robin hood style weapons, realistic ones, but hell, berzerk was fun too :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Gosh, I would think this answer would be even more obvious then the one about why wow is the standard lol.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Said it on Zam

It is a grind fest.....and what is the deal with EARS in Asian MMOs ? Why cant everyone have normal ears....

The game is a grind, jsut like Aion and it's attempt to nab the Western Market, it will fail.

Leveling is a stepping stone. In order to enter X I have to hit level A. Once I can do X, I have to gather items 1-9 over a period of time to enter Z. and so on. Leveling is a stepping stone, as I said, and the Asians have yet to figure that out. Their target for THE ASIAN MARKET is keep a person engrossed in the leveling aspect and to make it less painful HERES OUR ITEM SHOP ! GAIN 20% MORE EXP FOR 1 HOUR FOR 3.00 !!!!

Yah, they are not the brightest bunch of R and D groups. They have no clue how Americans think and view gaming and they never will because once they break that mold,then every Asian playing their games will walk away....because Asians, unlike Americans, love the elvel Grind...give me 200 more levels and a gain rate that takes me 3 years to hit it and I will spend me hard earned money,,,that's the Asian POV

I know where you're coming from having played FFXI myself. But a lot was going on right from the start till the end. I liked FFXI, so I'm hoping I'll like Tera.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Thane

actually it's just the asians who need those huge ones, european and american fantasy never really got into those BIIIIIG weapons :)

in europe only the scotts ever used weapons nearly as big, and i doubt americans ever did (unless you count complete nuklear over-arming)

personally i allways prefered the robin hood style weapons, realistic ones, but hell, berzerk was fun too :)

It's worth pointing out that in Berserk, Guts was the ONLY character with a ridiculously oversized weapon like that (... and he started off using more of a claymore type weapon).  The whole point to him having such a big sword is to show he was the protagonist, he was different, and he was supposed to be inhumanly amazing, wielding a weapon specifically designed to slay dragons.

Also, while the fantasy style weapons might not be quite as big, you have to admit that the guns in European and American fiction can be ridiculously huge.  If I had a dollar for every 500 pound gun I saw in a comic or movie, I'd have quite a lot of dollars, with which I could buy myself a gently used compact car.

The main reason there's so many radically oversized weapons in Asian MMOs is that they're trying to make everybody have the same sort of epic as Guts... and by doing so, they've successfuly made nobody particularly epic.

Still, ludicrously oversized weapons (I mean, have you SEEN the train-mounted gun that the Germans designed during WWII?) aren't limited by race or culture, unless you're talking about the Tibetans or Amish or something.  :D

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Agree i think it goes with their culture and its anime related, but anyway if we are talking about MMO's i really see oversize weapons in all of them, just name one of the west and ill show you a shot of an oversize weapon, i even remember in the EQ era ( ten years ago for the new ones ) that they have some of them, Wurmsaler comes to my mind, maybe Vanguard was the the one i cant remember one in my 50 levels, i love some of the weapons in VG.

• sceerysceery Member UncommonPosts: 15

I played TERA through Korea beta and i am still playing it :) I did play Aion aswell and the leveling curve + grinding TERA vs Aion can`t be compared. As there is no grinding in TERA !!! Only thing diffrent at higher lvl, from Rift or Tera is that the game is more team based, as the mobs are harder to kill solo. I actually have no idea what`s En Masse doing so long to get the game out, because this game doesnt need Westernising or whatever it is called. Just translate the game and it will be a masterpiece already :) Leveling curve, quests and game itself is really fun, beautiful and immersing, nothing like anything out there at the moment :)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Rift is closer to launch and has been dumping a lot of cash into advertising for one. Being closer to launch more players are going to be talking about it. 

They'll be in the spotlight until Tera gets closer to launch. 

Just how it goes. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Oh, come on! US need them huge as well. Just not the weapons. 

Say boob ;)

Originally posted by Xasapis

Oh, come on! US need them huge as well. Just not the weapons. 

Say boob ;)

There you go.... no boobs tho :P

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Heard the word Flamberge? Few people actually used them in true battle but they were popular to own in th 16th century. 

The entire landsknecht period (about 1500-1550) had a lot of weird oversized weapons.

The Robin Hood style is 12th century, there were no need for huge weapons at the time besides lances and spears. The 16th cetury heavy armors were a completely different time and many odd weapons existed, the most popular was the oversized Hillebard that troops like the swisser guard and the Black company used.

I actually prefer 11th century weapons if I can choose but historically have there been weapons that would make you stare in disbelief. Some of the weapons and idea Talhoffer and similar combats experts wrote about are amazing, he did make a plate showing an actual working scuba suit in the 1450s.

A block from one of Talhoffers books. Oversized swords? Rather typical mid 15th century blades, 16th century blades were a lot larger.

I wont complain that yoi like smaller weapons, no problem with that but large weapons isn't that unrealistic besides the Final fantasy swords of course.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by Askedan

Originally posted by Siecefire

Why is Tera not as popular as Rift....

Becuase Tera is a Korean made game that will be a complete bull s**t grind fest just like Aion was.

Oh god,at least read this topic,there are also several topics of people that are currently playing the game,Tera doesn't have any kind of grind.

°No mob grind,you can quest grind just like in western games.

I like that term, 'quest grind'.

"Oh we don't have grinding in our game! *DING ACHIEVEMENT* woohoo, I  just did my 1,000,000th daily quest! Like I said, aren't you glad we don't have grinding in our game?"

To the original topic: Well, considering RIFT is in beta in the NA and Tera isn't - that might have something to do with it.  I see plenty of talk about both games however.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Qazz

I like that term, 'quest grind'.

"Oh we don't have grinding in our game! *DING ACHIEVEMENT* woohoo, I  just did my 1,000,000th daily quest! Like I said, aren't you glad we don't have grinding in our game?"

To the original topic: Well, considering RIFT is in beta in the NA and Tera isn't - that might have something to do with it.  I see plenty of talk about both games however.

Don't forget "item grind", "faction grind"  and the worst of them all: "Daily quest grind".

All MMOs have a lot of grinding, it is just different things you grind.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Said it on Zam

Sadly, I think you are right.  These are the very issues that make eastern games hard to swallow in the west.  I just tried Aion again, I couldn't get past level 22 because I got so bored with the leveling process.  that's all I was doing.  PVP wasn't for a few more levels and people say that's OP and non fun anyway.  I see Tera being the same way.  

Honestly, I hope ONE game breaks the eastern mold completely.  by offering things other than just grind leveling.  that game is Archeage.  Now that's a game that looks like they might understand the "western" appeal.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by nomss

Said it on Zam

I know where you're coming from having played FFXI myself. But a lot was going on right from the start till the end. I liked FFXI, so I'm hoping I'll like Tera.

FFXI was awesome and too me doesn't fit into this argument anywhere for 2 reasons.  1.  It's Japanese.  2.  It was geared toward console gamers with an already established IP.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Personally I love Tera's art style, especially in how sexy (the females) and manly (the males) are depicted, as opposed to most western inspired artists. These games are not reality simulators, so I don't see why they need to portray people as asexual. And when I say asexual, I don't mean ugly. There is one thing to be ugly, that at least provokes emotions. There is another to be bland, average, lacking identity. 

I hope I made myself clear.

I like the game and ill play till max. level no matter what, but i really have a problem with that part of art style, i wanted to play a male char, just human like... and i cant, the last time i tried that in VG it end up very well:

low level

max level

Just a man, nothing more nothing less, im asking too much? in Tera i just cant do it, the options i have is an elf woman like:

Or something that i think they call human and have a torso 5 times bigger than his head and with hands bigger than the head:

So i will end playing a female char, atleast they did that well.

ps. The other option as a male is to play with horns in your head and begin a male in rl is not an option at all :P

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by judex99

<>

Just a man, nothing more nothing less, im asking too much? in Tera i just cant do it, the options i have is an elf woman like:

<>

There are manly, older (some fugly) looking faces for the high elf males.

Are you playing K-TERA?

Said it on Zam

Sadly, I think you are right.  These are the very issues that make eastern games hard to swallow in the west.  I just tried Aion again, I couldn't get past level 22 because I got so bored with the leveling process.  that's all I was doing.  PVP wasn't for a few more levels and people say that's OP and non fun anyway.  I see Tera being the same way.  

Honestly, I hope ONE game breaks the eastern mold completely.  by offering things other than just grind leveling.  that game is Archeage.  Now that's a game that looks like they might understand the "western" appeal.

I think its really funny that people think the east should change their games to appeal to the west. Thats the problem..If I was going to play a game from the east I would like to experience the game in their culture. America is the land of many cultures lets act like it.

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by judex99

<>

<>

There are manly, older (some fugly) looking faces for the high elf males.

Are you playing K-TERA?

Its not only the face, its all the char, the robes are just like playing with John Morrison:

I did on the open beta, im not playing now tho.

• ndodgendodge Member UncommonPosts: 55

Well, considering RIFT is in beta in the NA and Tera isn't

This ^

I play in a sandbox.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by ndodge

Well, considering RIFT is in beta in the NA and Tera isn't

This ^

Technically speaking Tera is released (just not in the west), while Rift is 20 days away from release (for pre-orders).

This discussion has been closed.