Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IS GW2 really the same as the rest?

2»

Comments

• neceoneceo Member Posts: 22

i'm trying not to hype myself up for this game.  What I am expecting and all I want is a solid game that is fun.  Since there is no sub and how often I can play ( pretty casual right now )  B2P is perfect for me.  Many f2p games don't do it for me and this game looks like it will be very solid with many features.

Again if it's a solid game that is fun I will be happy and will be playing it for a long time.

• sayuri2006sayuri2006 Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by natethehero

So the argument here, based on the original post, is that many people played Guild Wars along with whatever subscription based game they love, and that is more than likely how the success of Guild Wars 2 will play out, instead of being this monumental game changer for the MMO genre and the biggest potential WoW killer. It's a fair point, but one that I think is lacking in some context.

Guild Wars was not a true MMO. It was a highly populated CORPG like Phantasy Star Online or the like. It was therefore, not actually competing with other MMOs. Despite the fact that Guild Wars 2 is still a buy-to-play game, it is an MMO in every sense of the word, with a huge persistent free roaming world even more geared towards socializing and community than the original and other MMOs as well. While I'm certain there will be quite a few players who will play Guild Wars 2 along with a subscription MMO like WoW or Rift or SWTOR, that doesn't mean there won't be a potentially HUGE install base that predominantly plays Guild Wars 2 and nothing else. If you have a game, that is exceptionally fun to play in every area, filled to the brim with content that could take months to fully see and experience for the average player, why then would you pay a monthly fee playing another game that is potentially less rewarding or polished or enjoyable?

Even if you don't think Guild Wars 2 will succeed in its attempt to elevate the genre to an entirely new, more enjoyable level, and will instead, only be more of the same, you'd still have potentially masses of people more than willing to drop their subscriptions to play a game that does everything their subscription based game does even if it's only a small improvement, simply because they no longer have to pay a monthly fee. I can't see any reason, whatsoever, other than pure rabid loyalty to their current MMO, to keep Guild Wars 2 from being a phenomenal success, if Arenanet manages to deliver on their promises.

Last thing: I know quite a few diehard WoW players, who are only diehard to WoW because it's the best game out there currently. They are ready to jump ship given the right game. A lot of them will probably pop off to SWTOR and stay there for a few months, possibly even believing that this will be their new home for good, until Guild Wars 2 comes out. They'll maybe pass over it at first, while all of the diehard fans like myself will immediately jump ship. Then, given a few months,  word will slowly spread through their forums from stalwart SWTOR/WoW players who have taken the plunge to see what it was like, enticed by the fact that they could try it out without having to pay a subscription. They'll speak of all of the ways the game manages to take the whole love/hate nature inherent to playing MMOs and how it somehow removed most if not all of the hate and then managed to dial up the love even more. At this point, more and more veterans from other MMOs will pick up the game and play, and while some will not find the promised land, most will. To sum up, Guild Wars 2 will have a huge initial splash, though maybe not as big as SWTOR, and then it'll settle for a bit, but slowly, inexorably, it will suck in more and more of the embittered and dejected veterans of other MMOs like the inescapble pull of a black hole, perhaps even one day eclipsing WoW. Again, this is dependent entirely on if Arenanet nails their promises. It's all just my opinion, but I'm very, very confident it will prove itself out.

This is probably one of the most logical and thought out posts that I have read in a long time. This man has hit the nail on the head with this post. The big question is, simply: Why settle for less, when you can get more love, less of the things you hate, better community and it's free?

People simply do not have the time to really put their efforts and passions into two MMORPGs when they know that a) one is just alot more enjoyable and b) unless the person is really into the lore/loyalty/ties and has enough money for more than one MMORPG, why bother?

• sayuri2006sayuri2006 Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by mainvein33

Originally posted by natethehero

So the argument here, based on the original post, is that many people played Guild Wars along with whatever subscription based game they love, and that is more than likely how the success of Guild Wars 2 will play out, instead of being this monumental game changer for the MMO genre and the biggest potential WoW killer. It's a fair point, but one that I think is lacking in some context.

Guild Wars was not a true MMO. It was a highly populated CORPG like Phantasy Star Online or the like. It was therefore, not actually competing with other MMOs. Despite the fact that Guild Wars 2 is still a buy-to-play game, it is an MMO in every sense of the word, with a huge persistent free roaming world even more geared towards socializing and community than the original and other MMOs as well. While I'm certain there will be quite a few players who will play Guild Wars 2 along with a subscription MMO like WoW or Rift or SWTOR, that doesn't mean there won't be a potentially HUGE install base that predominantly plays Guild Wars 2 and nothing else. If you have a game, that is exceptionally fun to play in every area, filled to the brim with content that could take months to fully see and experience for the average player, why then would you pay a monthly fee playing another game that is potentially less rewarding or polished or enjoyable?

Even if you don't think Guild Wars 2 will succeed in its attempt to elevate the genre to an entirely new, more enjoyable level, and will instead, only be more of the same, you'd still have potentially masses of people more than willing to drop their subscriptions to play a game that does everything their subscription based game does even if it's only a small improvement, simply because they no longer have to pay a monthly fee. I can't see any reason, whatsoever, other than pure rabid loyalty to their current MMO, to keep Guild Wars 2 from being a phenomenal success, if Arenanet manages to deliver on their promises.

Last thing: I know quite a few diehard WoW players, who are only diehard to WoW because it's the best game out there currently. They are ready to jump ship given the right game. A lot of them will probably pop off to SWTOR and stay there for a few months, possibly even believing that this will be their new home for good, until Guild Wars 2 comes out. They'll maybe pass over it at first, while all of the diehard fans like myself will immediately jump ship. Then, given a few months,  word will slowly spread through their forums from stalwart SWTOR/WoW players who have taken the plunge to see what it was like, enticed by the fact that they could try it out without having to pay a subscription. They'll speak of all of the ways the game manages to take the whole love/hate nature inherent to playing MMOs and how it somehow removed most if not all of the hate and then managed to dial up the love even more. At this point, more and more veterans from other MMOs will pick up the game and play, and while some will not find the promised land, most will. To sum up, Guild Wars 2 will have a huge initial splash, though maybe not as big as SWTOR, and then it'll settle for a bit, but slowly, inexorably, it will suck in more and more of the embittered and dejected veterans of other MMOs like the inescapble pull of a black hole, perhaps even one day eclipsing WoW. Again, this is dependent entirely on if Arenanet nails their promises. It's all just my opinion, but I'm very, very confident it will prove itself out.

I see what your saying. First let me get this out of the way GW2 will most likely suceed whether they deliver or not since boxes at initial release will be the measurement of success and the hype is so high I dont really see how it can fail feasibly (long story short B2P plus hype is a strong business model). Now as far as impacting WoW I just dont see it. If it comes down to the cash since box sales are a cost incurred many times by many mmo vets while they still have their home titles in the wings I cant see it being a subscription canceller for most, While I understand that some may want to jump the WoW ship for a new game I dont see this being the leech. True MMORPG or not gameplay (save the number of skills) is relatively standard across the board (skills on a bar etc). No matter how innovative it is I cant see it pulling people from WoW. The money logic simply inst there. I could see if past mmos suffered from low box sales but that hasnt really been the issue its the subs falling off that sink most ships and simply put that really wont be noticeable here until expansion one comes out. Like i said in my previous post it shoud break down to 4.17 a month as a sub if you wait for the expansion. I dont reasonably see a WoW players with years dedicated to the game cancelling sub over a game that simply put wont hit the pocket hard. GW1 with 6.5 million untis sold likely has a few players from the 12 million WoW subscribers in their ranks.Likely they have faced this before and will follow past decisions. These are big numbers in a market that looks at 500k as a great number. As far as rabid fandom goes i doubt thats the decision making issue however the effort you put into your toon likely is. No one wants to see there 6 year old raiding toon go bye bye in a game that is very much alive over 15 bucks a month they can likely afford along side playing GW2.As far as swtor having a bigger splash maybe in the press but not sales (swtor P2P hits the wallet and is gunning WoW in the press new mmo developer major franchise big expectations list goes on and on It might sell well but very unlikely GW2 numbers) GW2 will likely far out sell them all (them being Rift swtor and any new commers in the next year or so) but wont crush WoWs numbers it may however depending on when it releases kill swtors initial box sales if they release too close together. this is all conjecture based on the history I have seen so far and the most likely path. To be fair once we gain more info through beta, the press, and we get closer to release date announcements the picture will become much clearer.

Sorry but I would like to point out here that WoW has over the expansions catered to a broader audience, as to pull in as many newcomers as possible as well as retain the veterans. Each expansion has quickly given players a gear reset which has basically destroyed the past ventures of all that time invested. How much longer can players put up with constant gear resets for the sake of continuing the game?