Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Art style?

For me it's Voice Overs and I'm sold. I guess each to their own.

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

Because people are playing Rift now.  TERA's US release is a ways away still.  I am sure as it grows closer it will gain more hype.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

They were in the same ballpark before Rift beta started in the West.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Because Tera only offers innovation in combat.  Woopdie doo.  AoC did that too and look what happened.  Rift offers POLISHED gameplay with the first true Dynamic content to hit the MMO scene.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

People are getting to experience Rift first hand. They only get to read and watch other people play TERA. There's a big difference. Once Bluehole feels that it's good enough to release to western audiences they will be non stop talk about TERA.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Totec

People are getting to experience Rift first hand. They only get to read and watch other people play TERA. There's a big difference. Once Bluehole feels that it's good enough to release to western audiences they will be non stop talk about TERA.

Yea I think I'll buy your point.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Emhster

They were in the same ballpark before Rift beta started in the West.

This is exactly it.  They were almost completely even on the hype meter, before the beta started.

It's a lot harder to get excited about a game somebody ELSE is playing.   On the other hand, often when a game is shown, reality sets in and the game can drop tremendously.

The fact that Rifts got more, instead of less, popular speaks well for the Beta.

If the same thing happens when the game is released, then that will be a pretty major success for them.  (Then they just have to prove they can last more than a couple months, and then they can declare themselves a successful MMO)

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by elocke

Because Tera only offers innovation in combat.  Woopdie doo.  AoC did that too and look what happened.  Rift offers POLISHED gameplay with the first true Dynamic content to hit the MMO scene.

I have played both games and i can tell you that Tera is much better,they aren't in the same level.

First,Tera offers innovative combat,and it's freaking awesome,AoC combat was just a lie,casters had the same old gameplay,and saying AoC failed because the game only had innovative combat is a LIE,the game failed simply because it sucked,and the buggs didn't help.

Second,it offers a political system we haven't seen since lineage 2, and no factions,you are not told to hate the other faction,you will actually forge your own enemys in an open world pvp with open world dungeons. (you are also free to choose a PVE server)

Graffics are better,combat is better,pvp is less gear based and more skill based.

New and more races,more customization (however,it's not the strongest point of both games)

The end game is not a zergfest.

There are 2 different tanks,the Lancer is the traditional tank,but you actually have to manually rise up your shield,mediocre tanks will have a hard time in this game.

And the Warrior,evasion tank,you have to truly evade the skills of your opponents,it's not an RNG stat like in Rift.

There is more group content and the game is more group based.

My only complain is the leveling pace,it's even faster than Rift,which is a shame.

On the otherhand,Rift offers nothing new.

Rifts ARE NOT dymanic content,they spawn in pre-defined points,and they are always the same,they only change in size,and will become repetetive after a couple of days,maybe a month.

Let's be honest,it's just a wow clone,same old same old,some people do like that style of game,i hope they enjoy it.

Oh,and Tera also offers polish,in fact,the game is more polished than Rift.

And the crafting is also better,crafted items are actually better than quest items,so it is really useful and not pointless like in Rift.

However,the best gear is obtained via dungeons,so it's not FFXIV all again.

Come on man,Rift it's not better than this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRG15-bzSm4

I know,many don't like races like the Popori or Elin,me neither,that's why i will enjoy killing them all day long.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Blink umm kinda like asking why apples taste different than oranges.

Played both at E3, and both games offer something really good to the industry at this time. ( scrounged friends and family invites to both games )

I personally will be playing both as I try and support projects that put forth the time and effort both these developers have undertaken to do.

Due to NDA I can't go into specifics about TERA suffice to say the dev staff is not as open to player advice and opinion as the Rift staff tend to b., however  on the other side of the coin, TERA is not really being developed so much as repackaged for an american market.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Rift is more popular right now cause its closer to release. Most poeple are a bunch of tourist that are willing to jump on the next MMO to complain about. Once Tera comes out you'll see. At the end of the day there is no "better" MMO. Its you like it or not.

Originally posted by Sorrow

TERA is not really being developed so much as repackaged for an american market.

You do not know this.

En masse said that they will change the xp curve (don't know why,it's already wowish),but also class mechanics,gameplay and balance,the story, and value of items/drop rates.

They have been working on par with Blue hole studio,something that ncwest didn't do.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It really does not matter at this stage.  And to tell you the truth I don't want Tera to be the next wow.  Rift can hold that title, thank you very much.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Look at the archers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTAcKKuOlzA

Amazing mob IA.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I've been wondering the same actually.

Personally Tera appeals more to the action addict inside me, gotten to the point of point/click/watch mmo's just aren't even fun anymore.. and Rift just seems like the same ol' game and is only being talked about so much for being the flavor of the month, I'll be glad once it releases and everyone suddenly says it sucks then moves on to the next unreleased adventure (seems to be the trend).

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by just2duh

I've been wondering the same actually.

Personally Tera appeals more to the action addict inside me, gotten to the point of point/click/watch mmo's just aren't even fun anymore.. and Rift just seems like the same ol' game and is only being talked about so much for being the flavor of the month, I'll be glad once it releases and everyone suddenly says it sucks then moves on to the next unreleased adventure (seems to be the trend).

Thank you. Its seems that way. There are very few "bad" MMO's out there and even so, why go around their forums saying how much we think they suck? Its a silly trend that makes no sense.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Let Tera evolve slowly so the community is good. You don't want Rift's community. If the community and the game is good the rest will follow.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Rift game momentum due to word of mouth from those beta testing it. I'm sure Tera will gain similar momentum when the game is available for trial/beta testing and people get to see and play it for themselves.

Originally posted by bastionix

Let Tera evolve slowly so the community is good. You don't want Rift's community. If the community and the game is good the rest will follow.

You don't want Rift's community? What does that mean? Rift has no in-game community, the game has not launched yet. Or are we now associating forum trolling with what is happening inside the game servers?

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by bastionix

You don't want Rift's community? What does that mean? Rift has no in-game community, the game has not launched yet. Or are we now associating forum trolling with what is happening inside the game servers?

I believe they are refering to beta.. where 90% of the people testing it are asses lol.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

implying F2P beta communities = P2P released communities

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by nomss

Art style?

For me it's Voice Overs and I'm sold. I guess each to their own.

O_o

If you remember correctly the Rift bandwagon didn't start rolling until the NDA for the betas was dropped.

TERA still has a long. long. looong while before its EU/USA preview events start.

What did you expect exactly from the free riding wagon people? Have you been in LOTRO's beta? Nowhere remotely close to the actual in-game community.

In all honesty, we won't know what kind of community a fresh game has until at least the box month is over and the people that actually like the game start to create bonds with each other.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Testing both and plan to play both at release, and to the comment " you don't know that " yes I do know that, I just can not go into detail because they are being hardcore about the NDA.

Both are really good games and both will appeal to a ton of players, in my opinion RIFT has a much better dev team which makes for a much better game in the long run. However, time will tell and this is only my opinion based on my personal experiences in game, at  E3, at GDCO, and in an endless slew of dev chats.

Peace

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

As some have said, RIFT is very polished and players know what to expect. Trion also seem to be quite in touch with their community, which so far has been a great thing. Of course RIFT doesn't actually offer anything new, but what it does, it does it really well.

TERA on the other hand, while it does offer a more "actiony" combat, they are quite a few other MMOs offering even superior combat, meaning that the only thing TERA really has going for are the graphics and the larger world, rather than small 4-man instanced areas that games like Vindictus, Dragon Nest or C9 offers.

But again, in terms of gameplay, TERA is still behind.

TERA Archer Gameplay

Dragon Nest Archer Class

C9 Scout/Assassin Gameplay

These last 2 games offers a lot less "standing still" and allows for a lot more freedom of movement, and gives a much more interesting player-skill experience. (I only used Archer videos, but it applies to all classes so far). Overall, TERA isn't actually anything special. Hell, even Phantasy Star Universe has somewhat of a similar gameplay.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

[mod edit]

Which is a shame, because if it lives up to the hype I may just have to take an antiemetic and play anyway. As far as graphics and design go- everything but the player models looks fine.

• SiecefireSiecefire Member Posts: 23

Why is Tera not as popular as Rift....

Becuase Tera is a Korean made game that will be a complete bull s**t grind fest just like Aion was.

This discussion has been closed.