Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does this game handle lore?

theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

I'm interested in how this game handles lore in the missions and the world in general. When visiting locations from the TV shows do you get lots of references to events that happened in them? When running missions around Bajor/Cardassia do you get to experience the conflict between the two races, for instance? The Star Trek universe is filled with rich lore, to what extent have the developers exploited it?

Always read the small print.

Comments

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

If you're hoping for complex missions about the political history between Bajor and Cardassia, you'll be disappointed. The game has loads of shout outs to fans, but they're more along the lines of being sent back in time and having to find a spare part for Scotty, so he sends you to someone who has the part, who sends you to a bartender to get her a drink, who sends you to Scotty to find out what sort of drink she would like, so you get her the drink, and then you get Scotty the spare part, and then you return to your own time, and none of it makes any sense at all.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by TheAesthete

If you're hoping for complex missions about the political history between Bajor and Cardassia, you'll be disappointed. The game has loads of shout outs to fans, but they're more along the lines of being sent back in time and having to find a spare part for Scotty, so he sends you to someone who has the part, who sends you to a bartender to get her a drink, who sends you to Scotty to find out what sort of drink she would like, so you get her the drink, and then you get Scotty the spare part, and then you return to your own time, and none of it makes any sense at all.

Hehe, I remember that. :)

It only doesn't make sense if all you do is run around and not read anything like 90%(?) of all MMO players.

I personally like long quest chains that actually tell a story.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

No, it doesn't make sense that after liberating a space station from an unknown (to them) and incorporeal threat, you're asked to start assembling cocktails.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by TheAesthete

No, it doesn't make sense that after liberating a space station from an unknown (to them) and incorporeal threat, you're asked to start assembling cocktails.

Okay, yeah.

But I'd sure want a cocktail after something like that. ;)

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by theinvader

I'm interested in how this game handles lore in the missions and the world in general. When visiting locations from the TV shows do you get lots of references to events that happened in them? When running missions around Bajor/Cardassia do you get to experience the conflict between the two races, for instance? The Star Trek universe is filled with rich lore, to what extent have the developers exploited it?

Well if you like Startrek ..There is a good chance you will hate this game and only last 30 day before you go into a flamming frenzzy!

They did not make good use of the IP and IMHO ... and trashed it. There was so much depth in the Lore but instead they created a Arcade game for the PC.

Three words! ...."Mindless Button Smashing!"

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

It treats the lore ok, most of the gameplay is action based.  Cryptic did kind of a rush job to get the game out but they have greatly improved since launch.  A lot of the trekkies will say that it doesn't stick to the TOS/TNG lore of Star trek universe, but if really look into the episodes it kind of does (to me at least).

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

how about this try the game for your self instead of listing to these people :D. and see if its for you ^_^

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Honestly, they did well enough. But its a game, not a TV series or a book and concessions have been made for gameplay, especially in relations to combat and to avoide boring crap. Lots of people are butthurt over that, because they expect something "Sims Online Star Trek Edition" or some kind of crap, no idea really.

They made a general levelbased MMO with quests and kill XP based in the ST universe, if you can deal with that your fine basicly. They do honor the lore pretty much, and do actively fix things like errors on shipmodels or stuff like that. When timetraveling klingons have no bumps on their heads etc pp, its full of things that actually only make sense to people knowing the lore. You will visit lots of places from all the ST series, and they are pretty recognizable.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 866

How did they treat the lore?  I will sum this up with something I realized during my second day in game (this week).

Klingons can have Tribbles.

Enough said.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by nolf

How did they treat the lore?  I will sum this up with something I realized during my second day in game (this week).

Klingons can have Tribbles.

Enough said.

In truth , if a Klingon holds a tribble it screeches horribly . Any other race of the faction can hold them, with no issues. Yes, the klingons consider them vermin and would destroy them on site. They're so cuddlie and marketable on the C-Store and make for a nice mini game of breed the tribble. For a game set in 2409 , they pay little attention to that timeframe . They are more interested in peddling things on the C-Store , then adding content.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Lore is definitely not a big thing in this game. Most of it is only window dressing like running into an NPC that is a kid of some major ST character or doing a mission that refers to something that happened in an episode. They just took the ST universe mixed it up with a typical grind, button masher mmorpg and called it a day imo.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The game may have ship and uniform designs from the shows and movies, even established character names here and there, but it handles the IP poorly to the point of non-recognition.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

If you count the Federation's manditory new Prime Directive to shoot first, blow up and destroy on sight Star Trek Lore, then it is right on target.  If a Klingon can walk around strokeing a tribble lore,, then yes, it is followed by the numbers.