Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish JAGEX made Runescape into a Retail MMO PC Game

FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I'd buy Runescape in a heartbeat if it was a retail MMO like WoW or Guild Wars. No longer browser based, and has updated engine, graphics, and has Falador, Varrock, Lumbridge etc in awesome 3D graphics. I played Runescape in 2004-2007 and I must say it was an enjoyable experience. Got to CB level 112 and had 4 99's I gave away my account and quit along time ago. But if I ever see a Runescape 3 that isn't browser based and made in java but rather an awesome game with decent graphics, and all the core elements still there, I'd play it for ages.

How do other's feel about it? If jagex decided to make Runescape 3 into a Retail MMO game with improved Graphics, Improved engine and same core gameplay, would you play it? Would it have to be F2P like guild wars or a subscription in order to play at all like WoW? Would it work / not work? Why? Runescape 3 would have to be completely different from Runescape 2 and classic or the same?

Comments

• PrinceZarokPrinceZarok Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Fearlessbro

I'd buy Runescape in a heartbeat if it was a retail MMO like WoW or Guild Wars. No longer browser based, and has updated engine, graphics, and has Falador, Varrock, Lumbridge etc in awesome 3D graphics. I played Runescape in 2004-2007 and I must say it was an enjoyable experience. Got to CB level 112 and had 4 99's I gave away my account and quit along time ago. But if I ever see a Runescape 3 that isn't browser based and made in java but rather an awesome game with decent graphics, and all the core elements still there, I'd play it for ages.

How do other's feel about it? If jagex decided to make Runescape 3 into a Retail MMO game with improved Graphics, Improved engine and same core gameplay, would you play it? Would it have to be F2P like guild wars or a subscription in order to play at all like WoW? Would it work / not work? Why? Runescape 3 would have to be completely different from Runescape 2 and classic or the same?

If runescape ever becomes a retail mmo...well...need i say it? I was once a hardcore Rs fan too until i discovered other mmorpg'simage.  There's no doubt it would become a huge hit..well they would have to introduce a lot of new features like mounts, party system, improve the combat system etc etc..

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

You really think it could hold off the competition as a full retail game?  It doesn't have a patch on wow or on the upcoming MMOs, like the old republic.

It has a few 100k players because it's convenient and can be played anywhere (though the number of players they have is LOT lower than it used to be).  People get bored at work etc and log on to mess about for a a while.  Making it a full AAA game is going to remove most of that market.  It would also require them to re-make almost the entire game to bring it up to modern standards.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

After 2 years, I would have expected them to have come up with a better solution for botters and RWTraders. The ridicule against RS players and RS as a game, online, and specifically on Youtube, is just too much.

• I could be playing WoW, I could be playing the newest AAA games, but I play runescape. Why? Because you can jump on very quickly and have some fun. Other games consume your life totally. WoW is very fun, but is almost to fun...I like the majority of my life to consist of real life...not being sucked into a virtual world. That is why I believe something like Runescape is better.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by NasherUK

You really think it could hold off the competition as a full retail game?  It doesn't have a patch on wow or on the upcoming MMOs, like the old republic.

It has a few 100k players because it's convenient and can be played anywhere (though the number of players they have is LOT lower than it used to be).  People get bored at work etc and log on to mess about for a a while.  Making it a full AAA game is going to remove most of that market.  It would also require them to re-make almost the entire game to bring it up to modern standards.

A few 100k? Runescape has around 150,000 players on at any given time, and has over a million subscribers and somewhere between six and seven million active free players. Apart from WoW and Aion, Runescape ranks #3 in the most subscribed MMOs on the market.

Don't see how it's not a AAA title.

• I agree with the post above me! Go YOU!!

• izzadizzadizzadizzad Member Posts: 33

I actually think Runescape is this succesfull because it is indeed a browser game on the internet, it sets itself apart from maney other games.

Some people actually enjoy the game without having Stunning graphics like some others do, its just a simple, logic, fun, and can be a time consuming game. I think thats the strenght of runescape.

Anyway thats my opinion, nice topic to discuss though :- )

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Fearlessbro

I'd buy Runescape in a heartbeat if it was a retail MMO like WoW or Guild Wars. No longer browser based, and has updated engine, graphics, and has Falador, Varrock, Lumbridge etc in awesome 3D graphics.

You're talking about a different game, catering to a different audience. The majority of the Runescape playerbase prefers browser-based no-installation freemium gaming. Your suggestion would change the target audience and, as a result, drastically change who would even play... yet another WOW clone, as it would be perceived by the new audience it caters to.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I liked Runescape for a long time until they removed free trade and wilderness, even though those are returning back, I won't return to it. However Runescape 3 that you are talking about, I would be very interested. =)

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

There's no reason that Jagex couldn't put out a high quality multi-gigabyte RuneScape client application that works as a subsitute to the browser client but with much better graphics and superior gamepley (i.e. no "Loading, Please Wait..." every 10 seconds, etc.).

Jagex prefers, however, to invest Runescape subscription funds into development of other MMOs, that "FunOrb" thing, publishing an assortment of low-rent crappy browser games, overall trying to earn the title of "gaming company" vs. "RuneScape developer".

It makes sense from a corporate standpoint, diversifying revenue streams, etc., but if you're a RuneScape subscriber, you're definitely getting bent over without a tube of lube in sight.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

IMO if they can keep both RS 2 & RS 3 game running it can be interesting for many folks. I would sure give it try.

Only for RS 3, all should be changed: example world will be smaller (I guess), nobody will enjoy retail game with endless skill grind, so need to change these mechanics, they would need to put many other features: party search, party options, redesigned dungeons, more quests may be etc.

At the end it will be not RS at all, I guess.

But why not if they are able to explore this idea, only I doubt it.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2