Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Jagex Did Wrong!

b2i12b2i12 Member Posts: 75

Thread to discuss what jagex did wrong to take Runescape from one of the best games to one of the worst!!!

Well let me first say I dont think It was necissarly one of the best games but definetly a good one that is till Jagex started to interfere too much. For example:

• Over censoring I mean cmon they went a little over board.
  • The whole trade system (fair trades) really ruined the game now im not saying scamming ppl was part of game ,but its no fun having evey little aspect of the game decided by Jagex.
  • NO WILDY- Now they tried to make up for taking out the wildy by adding PvP worlds. Now pvp worlds would have been good idea until Jagex had to go and add too many rules and conditions ,which then in my opinion made pvp no fun. It should just be you kill the player you get his stuff. 
  • Now this one isnt big ,but would have been nice is a cash shop. Now if they did it right, it would be more fun for the players and make Jagex more money (a win win).
  • (Total Grind Fest) i currently have a few lvl +90 stats and let me tell you it just isnt fun spending every wakeing moment clicking a tree or rock. ( a good example of trying to make games less grinding is conguer 2.0's training grounds that lets you run your cpu over night and train certain skills. its not perfect ,but its a step in the right direction.)

Ok those are only a few of the things that I did not like. Now I do not completely hate Runescape. They did do many things right. For example The Grand Exchange was a great addition to the game. So to end this I think Runescape still has time to fix their mistakes and become the game it used to be.

First thread ever posted so also comment on what to leave out and what to include next time

Comments

• Originally posted by b2i12

Thread to discuss what jagex did wrong to take Runescape from one of the best games to one of the worst!!!

Well let me first say I dont think It was necissarly one of the best games but definetly a good one that is till Jagex started to interfere too much. For example:

Over censoring I mean cmon they went a little over board.
    The whole trade system (fair trades) really ruined the game now im not saying scamming ppl was part of game ,but its no fun having evey little aspect of the game decided by Jagex.
    NO WILDY- Now they tried to make up for taking out the wildy by adding PvP worlds. Now pvp worlds would have been good idea until Jagex had to go and add too many rules and conditions ,which then in my opinion made pvp no fun. It should just be you kill the player you get his stuff. 
    Now this one isnt big ,but would have been nice is a cash shop. Now if they did it right, it would be more fun for the players and make Jagex more money (a win win).
    (Total Grind Fest) i currently have a few lvl +90 stats and let me tell you it just isnt fun spending every wakeing moment clicking a tree or rock. ( a good example of trying to make games less grinding is conguer 2.0's training grounds that lets you run your cpu over night and train certain skills. its not perfect ,but its a step in the right direction.)

Ok those are only a few of the things that I did not like. Now I do not completely hate Runescape. They did do many things right. For example The Grand Exchange was a great addition to the game. So to end this I think Runescape still has time to fix their mistakes and become the game it used to be.

First thread ever posted so also comment on what to leave out and what to include next time

You want a cash shop?

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

The entire game is Fu'bard. 

Edit: O , and btw the game is not going to get any better. I apluad them for the new graphics, that was needed for a long timebut, the boring repitition ruins the game.  

The pnly way ruinescape can be better is if the remaid the entire game.

Runescape may have been good at one time but, the implimentation of design flaws into the game further desicrated what was once a fun old school game.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
  • Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

Everything after 2007, the chat filter, most of the police state game rules, and the GMs.

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Blissey

# The ability to spend every single hour of the day collecting charms to summon your own familiar, and then spend even more time trying to level up so you can summon even more l33t Yu-Gi-Oh monsters.(summoning)

My opinion: I do agree with all these paragraphs, especially the last one. Summoning is lame.

Summoning is amazingly useful. It's retarded how hard they made it to train, and estimates put the total cost for 99 at around 150 million.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

RuneScape was created by Andrew Gower, the creator of DeviousMUD, the forerunner to RuneScape, in 1998. Rewritten and renamed, the first version of RuneScape was released to the public on 4 January 2001 in beta form.

You guys are comparing (Technically pre) Generation one game, and game play to that of generation 3 titles?

COME ON. Have some perspective, runescape is based directly off of a MUD.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

It's a completely new game and things have changed, no doubt. It isn't what it used to be, and that's as real as sex is.

• acephaloidacephaloid Member Posts: 31

I find the comparison amusing but it needs to be the other way around, Gerhard is older than Gower

Nope gerhard is not older than gower. That's it. Simple as that. I don't need details to back that up because its true.

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Casualizing the game, just like Blizzard is doing 2 WoW is what's going wrong at this very moment.

12-Oct-2010 -

Make-X Improvements and Low-level Combat Changes

Many of the Make-X menus in the game have been redesigned. The new version doesn’t require you to right-click to choose Make-X or Make-All. Also, wherever the new menu offers Make-X, it also offers Make-All, so you won’t have to keep typing the same numbers manually. Some of the newly introduced Make-All options include smelting ores, fletching bows and crossbow stocks, and other such popular skill activities.

We’ve also added a couple of new ranged and magic options for low-level players. Rangers might like to get hold of the new sling weapon, which doesn’t need any ammunition to use, and mages should give the new level 1 Wind Rush spell a try as it only requires air runes to cast – or free with a staff of air equipped. Slings are dropped by creatures in the Lumbridge Catacombs (and Kayle’s bow has instead now become Kayle’s sling).

Finally, a handful of low-level monsters in the free-to-play area – including giant rats, giant spiders and goblins – have been rebalanced to be more interesting for new players to fight, which has been made possible by the changes made to life points earlier this year. They’ll also provide handy target practice for the new slings and spell.

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

• mmomasterb7mmomasterb7 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Bermann

Casualizing the game, just like Blizzard is doing 2 WoW is what's going wrong at this very moment.

12-Oct-2010 -

Make-X Improvements and Low-level Combat Changes

Many of the Make-X menus in the game have been redesigned. The new version doesn’t require you to right-click to choose Make-X or Make-All. Also, wherever the new menu offers Make-X, it also offers Make-All, so you won’t have to keep typing the same numbers manually. Some of the newly introduced Make-All options include smelting ores, fletching bows and crossbow stocks, and other such popular skill activities.

We’ve also added a couple of new ranged and magic options for low-level players. Rangers might like to get hold of the new sling weapon, which doesn’t need any ammunition to use, and mages should give the new level 1 Wind Rush spell a try as it only requires air runes to cast – or free with a staff of air equipped. Slings are dropped by creatures in the Lumbridge Catacombs (and Kayle’s bow has instead now become Kayle’s sling).

Finally, a handful of low-level monsters in the free-to-play area – including giant rats, giant spiders and goblins – have been rebalanced to be more interesting for new players to fight, which has been made possible by the changes made to life points earlier this year. They’ll also provide handy target practice for the new slings and spell.

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

Why would you call the first thing going wrong? The make-all menus are actually helping reduce the grind, if only a little bit. The 2 other I can understand though... To sum that piece out : "Once more, Jagex decides to smooth out the game for the newbies."

• maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Lmao, Jagex has done nothing wrong, they are hugely successful! In the end the majority of players don't care or like the changes.

• Originally posted by b2i12

• Over censoring I mean cmon they went a little over board.

Like other games, they should make this an option that you can turn on and off.

• The whole trade system (fair trades) really ruined the game now im not saying scamming ppl was part of game ,but its no fun having evey little aspect of the game decided by Jagex.

Agree, it was more like real life before. You need to take care of your own shit, people rip you off...your fault.

• NO WILDY- Now they tried to make up for taking out the wildy by adding PvP worlds. Now pvp worlds would have been good idea until Jagex had to go and add too many rules and conditions ,which then in my opinion made pvp no fun. It should just be you kill the player you get his stuff. 

PVP worlds in my opinion were terrible. The wildy was amazing :'(

• Now this one isnt big ,but would have been nice is a cash shop. Now if they did it right, it would be more fun for the players and make Jagex more money (a win win).

I would rather them not go there....I like earning my things. It's gets annoying when you see something awesome and you know you have to fork over money for it...I think it should be free stuff or member stuff...period.

• (Total Grind Fest) i currently have a few lvl +90 stats and let me tell you it just isnt fun spending every wakeing moment clicking a tree or rock. ( a good example of trying to make games less grinding is conguer 2.0's training grounds that lets you run your cpu over night and train certain skills. its not perfect ,but its a step in the right direction.)

Agreed some variation is needed, but I also think that some grind makes it a long process and almost worth more.

Once wildy and free trade is materialized, someone should delete this thread and start one that says "What Jagex Did RIGHT".

• I still want to know where your getting your extremely confident answer about them returning free trade from? Yes, there is a vote but that could just be for hype. I think it's more likely that they are going to return it and that this is just a way to get people interested again unti lthey do return it, but how can you be SO sure?

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Good thinking. Phase II is out, and the votes are pro-capitalist...

But does this mean that the  so called marxists are few in number? Let's not forget the merch clans who legally make money by legally exploiting the grand exchange. They would be pissed because merching would be more tedious with the free trade component in place.

• I know this is completely off topic but....Bermann...your picture creeps the F*** out of me...

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

beside all said above, I guess mage skill was killed when runes became like 100x more costly then before at rune shops.

as before I could spend some time by jumping worlds & waiting to buy my runes at cheap shop costs and level mage skill, after this update it became too overpriced & pointless.

only once think helped you to level fast some costly & grindy skills like magic, ranger & praying, was Pest Control, but they drastically reduced all benefits out of it, same for money you got from winning.

summoning is so badly done at mean of cost, so I'm asking to myself : what guys who designed it has expected? more people to give up? more real gold sellers?

and 1 more small but important point. when they lost like, I guess, 75% of sub based clients after "smart" update 2007, they started to asking more for sub, at least in Europe. I payed 5$/month before end 2007, checked lately for membership price & found it cost now 6,5 euros. far to be the same.

honestly, I feel better to pay 12 Eur for great graphic game with no such skill grind then 6,5 Eur for boring RS.

not sure about you, guys, but I'll never pay sub at RS again.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2