Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walking in Stations?

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Question, has this came out yet and if so whats the name of the expansion?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's not out yet.

• LysarionLysarion Member Posts: 87

The sooner date announced is this summer, but don't have too many expectations... It'll probably delayed be, as always =)

It's like the Duke Nukem Forever of Eve. A lot of wind, but no result at the moment.

[grammar edit]

I'm french, that's why I sometimes mis-use or mis-spell some words... Please don't blame me.
    (but feel free to explain my error if you want =)
    Need an Eve-Online trial invite? PM me your email adress =)

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

we got the first slide of walking on station called new character creation, this is how agile/scrum development is truly working i expect CCP to continue on this trend

BestSigEver :P

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

I, too, expect them to underdeliver and push out stripped down features with no gameplay value in the future.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by batolemaeus

I, too, expect them to underdeliver and push out stripped down features with no gameplay value in the future.

I don't think CCP has issued any features list for Incarna so it's not possible for them to push out stripped down features at this point.

As far as them under delivering, I expect Incarna will allow us to socialize with others with our 3d avatars and tour the different types of stations.  Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise.  Hell, I'll be shocked if there's even emotes for our toons.  It's CCP after all - they start off by laying a foundation and build the game on top of it.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

Originally posted by Hazelle

I don't think CCP has issued any features list for Incarna so it's not possible for them to push out stripped down features at this point.

As far as them under delivering, I expect Incarna will allow us to socialize with others with our 3d avatars and tour the different types of stations.  Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise.  Hell, I'll be shocked if there's even emotes for our toons.  It's CCP after all - they start off by laying a foundation and build the game on top of it.

We will be able to walk on stations, change clothes, play some games at bars against other players, corp will have its own office.

Can't remember anymore features.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

"Under-delivering" in the sense of "what one might reasonably expect a project that will be 5 years old when it's launched and has ~70 devs on the team for at least the last 18 months of that, with an unknown number before that.

To put it another way, Incarna has had at least 6 times as much resources dedicated to it as a "normal" EVE expansion, and that's just the effort we definitely know about. Given that, I think we are entitled to hope for a little more than a e-bar, a mini-game and a character creator with an attached cash shop.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

"Under-delivering" in the sense of "what one might reasonably expect a project that will be 5 years old when it's launched and has ~70 devs on the team for at least the last 18 months of that, with an unknown number before that.

To put it another way, Incarna has had at least 6 times as much resources dedicated to it as a "normal" EVE expansion, and that's just the effort we definitely know about. Given that, I think we are entitled to hope for a little more than a e-bar, a mini-game and a character creator with an attached cash shop.

Sorry, I forgot that these guys aren't an independent game developer that is billing us for this expansion and all past expansions for that matter.  You're right, with their resources, they should be able to develop code that will cure cancer while you play!  I mean, what else are they doing with my 20 dollar game purchase and 15 dollars a month?  Feeding themselves?  Pfft!

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Expect Incarna to be a stripped down version this summer so they can do a shake and bake on the server before adding major features.

Sorry, I forgot that these guys aren't an independent game developer that is billing us for this expansion and all past expansions for that matter.  You're right, with their resources, they should be able to develop code that will cure cancer while you play!  I mean, what else are they doing with my 20 dollar game purchase and 15 dollars a month?  Feeding themselves?  Pfft!

That's the best "argument" you have? Seriously? A logical fallacy is all you got? At least you're making it trivial to brush away anything you wrote..

The decline in productivity within CCP is a pretty serious issue. They already admitted that they still do not know what gameplay the expansion is supposed to have. They wasted years on development time on some shiny with no defined featureset. That, right there, is a dead giveaway of an incoming failure.
    As dominion and tyrannis showed, that problem has become widespread within ccp. They haven't managed to deliver a feature consisting of more than exclusively "musts" since apocrypha.

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

my guess is that they will release the other game, where your doing FPS style stuff, then combine the two games together and wait for the praise.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

That's the best "argument" you have? Seriously? A logical fallacy is all you got? At least you're making it trivial to brush away anything you wrote..

The decline in productivity within CCP is a pretty serious issue. They already admitted that they still do not know what gameplay the expansion is supposed to have. They wasted years on development time on some shiny with no defined featureset. That, right there, is a dead giveaway of an incoming failure.

As dominion and tyrannis showed, that problem has become widespread within ccp. They haven't managed to deliver a feature consisting of more than exclusively "musts" since apocrypha.

The productivity at ccp has been consistant since they launched the game.

They launch and build on top on top of it.  This is how they've done it all along.

Review the past expansions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online

Nothing has changed, hell, not even you folks that suffer from retrograde amnesia everytime there's an upcoming expansion.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Interestingly enough I played EvE solo/casual for a long time, wishing for Walking In Stations to give the game that last thing to push it over the edge and make it a perfect game (for me, at least), but then I actually got into a corp operating out of 0.0 and I don't care much about having an avatar anymore.

I mean it'll be great when they pull it off, but now in 0.0, just don't see myself sitting around station. If I'm on, I'm flying.

Nothing has changed, hell, not even you folks that suffer from retrograde amnesia everytime there's an upcoming expansion.

Well, thankfully, unlike you I do not suffer from a full frontal lobotomy and do notice that, if there was no change in productivity, them quintupling numbers would have to show some results even with three side projects draining manhours.

Yet they struggle to even implement even the bare bones of a new sov system without their team breaking apart and restarting from scratch, or even to push out planetary interaction with more than the bare must haves. In that regard they can't hold a candle to the old ccp who could react to balance problems with less than a year of delay or push out features that weren't just the bare bones with empty promises to "iterate".

And judging from the fact that they have no idea what gameplay wis is supposed to have, or what the fabled "dust link" is supposed to be, their other projects are no different.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by batolemaeusAs dominion and tyrannis showed, that problem has become widespread within ccp.

Since Quantum Rise...

Um...odd way you measure productivity neither they add on top of anything.

Check the early expansion here:
    http://www.eveonline.com/features/

and you can consider yourself how large impact early released features had on the game world, the expansions were truly game changing.

Each expansion has changed the game forever. Can you say the same about last few expansions? Definitely not. The most respectful you can say about them is that they are stand alone, goal missing and meaningless lackluster.

Bitter vets? Maybe. I still believe though that there are objective qualities that CCP as a game developer was pulling out in their earlier years with much smaller development team.
    I am aware that the productivity decrease with team size but you still should not go into negative numbers.

Originally posted by Gdemami

As dominion and tyrannis showed, that problem has become widespread within ccp.

Since Quantum Rise...

Um...odd way you measure productivity neither they add on top of anything.

Check the early expansion here:

http://www.eveonline.com/features/

and you can consider yourself how large impact early released features had on the game world, the expansions were truly game changing.

Each expansion has changed the game forever. Can you say the same about last few expansions? Definitely not. The most respectful you can say about them is that they are stand alone, goal missing and meaningless lackluster.

Bitter vets? Maybe. I still believe though that there are objective qualities that CCP as a game developer was pulling out in their earlier years with much smaller development team.

I am aware that the productivity decrease with team size but you still should not go into negative numbers.

I disagree.

Tyrannis introduced planetary interaction, and although it has been panned as farmville in space, it gave players more control over the market.  The manufacturing of starship components among other items has been given to the players and the rules of player controlled supply and demand are in place.  We have a firmer grip on the market.  Hooray!

You might not appreciate the PI feature but it was necessary to give us more control over the game that we all play.  Taking seeded components that only spawned in certain areas and giving it to us to manufacture items wherever the conditions are right (pretty much everywhere) is a very good thing.

It changed the game forever.

...but then I suspect you probably don't build anything involved or care about the market except for the cost of the finished product?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

After playing EVE Online for over a year ending about a year ago, all I can say is CCP is quick to announce new features but slow on delivery. I can understand being slow about things since CCP is not a large developer. However, if you are going to announce something maybe do it closer to a known release instead of suggesting "soon" year after year but never delivering. I got so feed up with that that it was one of the top two reasons I stopped playing EVE Online.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Well, thankfully, unlike you I do not suffer from a full frontal lobotomy and do notice that, if there was no change in productivity, them quintupling numbers would have to show some results even with three side projects draining manhours.

Yet they struggle to even implement even the bare bones of a new sov system without their team breaking apart and restarting from scratch, or even to push out planetary interaction with more than the bare must haves. In that regard they can't hold a candle to the old ccp who could react to balance problems with less than a year of delay or push out features that weren't just the bare bones with empty promises to "iterate".

And judging from the fact that they have no idea what gameplay wis is supposed to have, or what the fabled "dust link" is supposed to be, their other projects are no different.

How many expansions has it taken for 0.0 sovereignty to become what it is today and remember that the best of those changes did not occur during your "golden years" of CCP development when they supposedly did things right?

If everything was as you say then why has something as simple as UI been "improved" over so many past expansions with yet another one which is the best one of all coming soon?

They improve the game over time and always have and their features list for each expansion proves the point.

• SacreBleuSacreBleu Member Posts: 10

A bit of a shortsighted response, EVE like many other MMO's on the market have bugs or features that could be expanded upon, CCP tries its best to release new expansions (two-a-year policy) and include enough new content in those packs to draw new players into the game.

Just because a feature or some balancing issue ensued doesn't mean that CCP is sitting on its arse doing nothing, there have been a few Dev blogs that admitted that they devoted a great amount of their staff to Incarna, this might be a good reason why complex systems such as SoV haven't been fixed as of now.

During Fanfest they explained perfectly how Dust-Link would work, they did admit they're still experimenting with it and how much connection is provided between EVE and Dust players, this is more than logical since not one company can simply release something on this scale and know exactly how to work it out within a few months.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

You mean, like all MMOs usually do?

Keep on rockin'!image

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I think they know that people will have unreasonable expectations of it no matter what shape it's in when they launch it.  In the end, they'll have put quite a bit of effort into something people will "meh" about.

The running bit of Auto Assault comes to mind.  It felt so pointless.  Irony is, most people would have considered it an enhancement to skip all the running and just provide menu's, instead.

Unless ALL it is, is another menu item where you can visit the base tavern, and they provide a hundred or so emotes and some emote consumables, I think most people will see it as a detriment to the game.  THAT though, I think would be cool at least a little bit, IF it feels like you're in the station and not just in some instanced room ala STO.  If it's a POB like SWG multiplayer ships were, where if you looked out the window of your yacht you can see players ships going by, then it's something pretty cool.

But if they try to replace menu's with it... 

"So now, instead of just selecting the market from a menu, I now have to run around and find it?  Great."

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

Well, PI good and now much better thanks; big tick.

Planet graphics, massive tick as well as Anti Aliasing - now finally I feel like I'm flying a space ship (and as soon as I get the interface junk onto a second screen the better). Oh and the joy of being able to move the shield, armour, cap gaget - pricessless.

New avitar creation, well actually quit stunning; ok we could do with some more options but it is next gen compaired to everyother MMO I have played (haven't played AoC in fairness).

So, CCP programmers have hardly been surfing the net all day at work - we might like it faster, or think they should have done it sooner, but we don't actually know how hard these things are to do.

So Walking in Stations; well after the taster of character creation and the demo of Carbon tech - it is going to be awesome. The only problem is already we are seeing a cover up. By this I mean avitar cover up - no half naked toons its seems. I mean for a MMO that allow drug use, and drug running etc seems a bit of a double standard. Why is (semi) naked toons important? Well it sets the expectations of the audience, and the expectation is that this is an adult world (that we are living in). Technically this is very easy to achieve. A client setting would allow access / no access to 18+ bars, and would automatically cover up any un-covered "flesh" (after all I play this game with my granddaughters at times).

Hopefully CCP will carry on with it (brave) stance that EVE is an adult SCiFi MMO, and not chicken out on letting the seedier part of human nature come out in the game. I for one will hoping to actually beam onto stations, shoot the pimps, and rescue the damsal in distress in person :)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by noblot

So Walking in Stations; well after the taster of character creation and the demo of Carbon tech - it is going to be awesome.

Ah, I've been away for a few days. Have CCP finally announced some actual features?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

They still do not know what gameplay it should have (or if it indeed should have any).

So no, obviously not..

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

They still do not know what gameplay it should have (or if it indeed should have any).So no, obviously not..

They know it will have player owned boutiques, minigames, a map that people can manipulate to plan strategically, and "off the grid" trading. They can easily build on those key things and make it worthwhile IMO.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem