Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the plunge

doyomasterdoyomaster Member Posts: 25

Like many others, Eve is a game that I had always wanted to try and get into. However, none of my friends are interested in it and although I have grown extremely tired of WoW, they have not. It has officially come to the point where it is time for me to move on, because I just can't take it anymore.
I've done some research on Eve since I know it has a steep learning curve (which is fine with me) and have a couple questions on how to get started.
1. Is it possible to do some training on my character so that fairly early I can do missions/salvage for ISK, as well as do some group pvp (maybe as like a tackler or something)? I've heard that when first starting out you should pick a role and stick with it, which I get because it doesn't make much sense to want to do combat, yet train mining skills as well. However, I don't want to be limited to only missions.
2. How difficult is it to farm ISK in the amounts needed to buy PLEX? (I can get some serious wife aggro on the money subject)
3. Are there any corps out there who would be willing to take someone on a trial account and help teach some of these things? I get the general concept, but things like fittings, skill trainings, and tactics are a little over my head atm. I'm hoping once I get in there and do it, I'll understand better.
I really hope this will be an enjoyable experience for me, because I love the concept of the amount of freedom you get in Eve. Thanks all for your time!

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

1. You can get a variety of skills early on after you do the tutorial and choose since learning skills have been removed. So you can get combat and industrial mining skills fairly quickly.

2. To farm ISK enough to buy Plex takes time and skills.

3. Most corps won't take trial accounts but try getting into EVE U to learn PvP, they take all types.

Make use of the rookie channel as it is very helpful in answering questions. Download EVEMON to plan your skills if your going for a sub account. Read as much as you can on what you plan to do be it mission running, mining, hauling, pirating..etc.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by doyomaster

1. Is it possible to do some training on my character so that fairly early I can do missions/salvage for ISK, as well as do some group pvp (maybe as like a tackler or something)? I've heard that when first starting out you should pick a role and stick with it, which I get because it doesn't make much sense to want to do combat, yet train mining skills as well. However, I don't want to be limited to only missions.

For missions and most PVE content bigger is better so you will want to train for a battleship.

Ship use for PVP varies a lot and I would recommend you to start with T1 frigates/cruisers that are in a line of skill progression towards battleship or battlecruisers.

The other option would be not to run missions and focus your skilling more tightly.

2. How difficult is it to farm ISK in the amounts needed to buy PLEX? (I can get some serious wife aggro on the money subject)

Depends on how you make your ISK. EVE is a lot about ISK management.

If you know the game well, you can make the ISK very comfortably on trial account within a few days of play.

3. Are there any corps out there who would be willing to take someone on a trial account and help teach some of these things? I get the general concept, but things like fittings, skill trainings, and tactics are a little over my head atm. I'm hoping once I get in there and do it, I'll understand better.

I do not know about any training corp that is accepting trial accounts but you can take as many trial accounts(21 days) as you need so there is no need to hurry.

Try to look for Factional Warfare corporation that accept trial accounts. I think Red vs Blue warfare also accept trials.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Its would probably take 6-7 months to be able to start farming for plex, maybe sooner if you get in a decent corp that does maze runs.

CCP doesnt want it to be super easy for people not to pay for the gamr

Originally posted by pmaura
    Its would probably take 6-7 months to be able to start farming for plex, maybe sooner if you get in a decent corp that does maze runs.
    CCP doesnt want it to be super easy for people not to pay for the gamr

1) 6-7 months is nonsense, you can make the ISK in a few days on a new toon.
    2) You always pay for game time, in a way or another. It's never free.

I guess by trading but even then you need a decent amount of starter capital a couple of days I dont see a nee toon coming up with 250-300 million

6-7months I figure is before your making 60mill an hour. easily

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

I give it three months time given enough skills and playing at least 4 hours a day mission running L3 or L4 missions then he can make enough to pay for Plex.

I dont see a nee toon coming up with 250-300 million

That just means you personally can't do it.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

I give it three months time given enough skills and playing at least 4 hours a day mission running L3 or L4 missions then he can make enough to pay for Plex.

Once he figurs out he is just prey for the long term players or bored gankers i doubt he will stay past 6 months.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Originally posted by Gdemami

tell us how a new toon can do 250million in 2-3 days then, of course he might need to try to scam people out of money first as well.

And maybe play 24 hrs a day. but I would love to hear your easy answer.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

tell us how a new toon can do 250million in 2-3 days then, of course he might need to try to scam people out of money first as well.

Theres actually a lot of ways a new toon can come up with that much in a few days.. Getting lucky with salvage is one way.. Then again what a new toon would do with it all is beyond me because they are a few months away from being able to fly anything that'd cost that much lol

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Always happy to see another Capsuleer join the universe :)

1. Yes. You can start off training for your races frigates and destroyers (the first ship tier after frigates). Frigates, like rifters are commonly used for tackling. Destroyers are popular for salvaging. This training will take you about a month or so to fly well. Mining and industry are extremely boring. It is very good advice to stick to a career early on, as it will help you exponentially later.

2. You won't be making that kind of money until you go ratting in nullsec, doing massive R&D jobs, or you're flying level 4 Battleships. 6+ months at least.

3. A lot of corps don't like trial accounts as most of you leave after the 14 days. When in-game, join the channel "E-Uni" by clicking the little chat bubble button on the chat window. Type in E-Uni in the channel search and voila, the most helpful channel for newbies in-game. If you want more assistance, look up "Aaron Price" in-game, which happens to be me.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Any person could technically make enough money to buy a plex very quickly.   However its not the characters skills which really limits this, its more to do with the actual players knowledge and understanding.

So the fastest way to obtain this knowlege is from other players. 

Salvaging is definatly the best way, but you gotta either ninja salvage, which means learning how to probe (not too hard) or asking around for mission runners who dont salvage and will let you.  There are people who will let you!  You just need to go to the the mission hub area's and directly ask mission runners.

I mission run, and often I dont salvage sometimes, so I dont mind if someone kindly asks me, in fact I'll even let them come in with a hauler and take the loot.  I dont really play eve much at the moment so dont email and ask me! Im just pointing out that people WILL let you if your not a jerk about it.

Also, you should setup some passive income from planetery interaction, not much skills needed and the money isnt AMAZING but it IS passive money, meaning your making money ontop of whatever it is your doing as well.

I should warn you though, if you spend your first few months in eve panicking about making enough money to pay for a PLEX, then you will hate it!  Its not enjoyable at all.   Just chill, relax, chat to people and tincker about with things.  Enjoy the game first.  Give yourself a month or two first.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Like many others, Eve is a game that I had always wanted to try and get into. However, none of my friends are interested in it and although I have grown extremely tired of WoW, they have not. It has officially come to the point where it is time for me to move on, because I just can't take it anymore.

I've done some research on Eve since I know it has a steep learning curve (which is fine with me) and have a couple questions on how to get started.

I really hope this will be an enjoyable experience for me, because I love the concept of the amount of freedom you get in Eve. Thanks all for your time!

Good answers have been given.  I'd just say, the person saying you can hundreds of mil isk early on is talking about sheer luck (or scamming).  That you can accidentally make tons of money right off the bat is a feature of EVE, sure, but unless you do strike it lucky in some way, be prepared for a hard slog until you're properly skilled up for whatever you're doing. 

L4 missions are sort of the equivalent of getting to "max level" in other MMOs.  Being able to do L4s is only like 5% of the game, but it's a sign of "being in the saddle", as it were, with EVE, and it's how most combat-oriented players make decent isk on a day-to-day basis, and should take about 3 months.  With 3 months (T2 tank but still only T1 weapons), you'll just be able to scrape through L4s and make more money than any of the lower levels of missions, and make enough to fund PvP activity.

Getting to do L4 missions comfortably and properly (i.e. not just scraping through them slowly, or having to take breaks for repairs etc. - I mean bombing through them so you make lots of isk per hour) will take around 6 months (T2 tank and T2 weapons). 

Missioning is okay fun PvE-wise, while you're figuring the missions out and learning them.  Once you figure them out, then they become mind-numingly tedious (CCP have recently shaken things up a bit, and it probably needs a bit more switching about of things to keep the PvE content fresh and challenging).

I'd say the main thing about EVE is that you have to be self-motivated otherwise it's boring.  So long as you have a goal and are working towards it, there's nothing like EVE.  If you don't have a self-generated goal and aren't working towards it, there's not enough laid on for you to make the game exciting. 

Also, it's not really designed for soloists.  It's definitely possible to solo and have fun, especially if you bear in mind the advice about setting your own goals; but it does take a while and some decent skills to make it fun to solo.  The game is really built more around social interaction and corporations.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

1. Yes. You can be salvaging in your first couple of days, not real effectively but if you keep training salvage skills and the skills to upgrade your equipment it can be done fairly quickly.

2. Its not difficult to farm enough ISK for PLEX. It jsut takes some time to get all the encessary training done. If you commit to paying for six months of time you can reasonably expect to be able to farm ISK for PLEX by then.

3. Yes. Check the recruitment forums. When I was recruiting for my corp, we advertized on the forums and took almost everyone that came across us that way, trials included. Until they went paid subscription we didnt give them access to much other than our knowledge and experience. Just be active in looking and talk to lots of corps, you will find one that fits your needs.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Good answers have been given.  I'd just say, the person saying you can hundreds of mil isk early on is talking about sheer luck (or scamming).  That you can accidentally make tons of money right off the bat is a feature of EVE, sure, but unless you do strike it lucky in some way, be prepared for a hard slog until you're properly skilled up for whatever you're doing. 

It isn't luck. It was done many times before and I did it myself several times. In fact I used to get ISK for Plex for my main account that way because 21 days trials are fun and I enjoy run them from time to time.

However, I did say that you need to know the game well. I am not expecting anyone new to jump into a game and buy PLEX in a week of play(even though I have met very new people to the game who achieved that). My point was to show that there are numerous opportunities how to make ISK and encourage the OP to explore the game instead of just blindly jump into a mission grind wagon because it is easy at hand...

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

If you're willing to put the research time in up-front, you can easily turn 10m into 100m in a couple weeks just by trading. And once you have 100-200m in capital, all sorts of market opportunities open up to you.

Making 350m a month from 10-20 minutes of trading every day is entirely possible.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

My point was to show that there are numerous opportunities how to make ISK and encourage the OP to explore the game instead of just blindly jump into a mission grind wagon because it is easy at hand...

This. This. A thousand times, THIS!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yea, its not really 'luck'  its definatly more about knowledge, if you lack knowledge then 'who you know' is the next best thing.

You could set a training plan to skill up for salvaging in a destroyer, skill up to use scan probes.  Find out which mobs drop the most valuble salvage parts, go to the relevent market hubs.  Chat to the locals get to know the regular mission runners.

Honestly, if you had plenty of time on your hands and your a sociable person you could easily make hundreds of millions in a month or so.

But as I said, your better off cracking on with missions and learn to fight, you really dont want to spend all your time just making money so you can buy another month, just to do the same thing over :D

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

One word - luck!

Keep on rockin'!image