Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A 'New Players' guide to Grouping!

EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

Hello everyone! Martyrs Message here with a life saving thread to help new and old heroes... and villians I guess... make it through some of the harder instances and raids toward the end of the game.

If you're looking for a walkthrough for each instance and zone this is not really the place, as I will be talking more about the group dynamic in this wonderful 'Universe' of ours and how forming a coherant party can really make brainiac and his minions cry UNCLE!

DISCLAIMER: This is not the END ALL things can be done differently and they may work. I'm also not telling people how the game NEEDS to be played. This is only my little "guide" for people just getting into end game Hardmodes and Raids from my experience as an Endgame Raider/league leader.

Part 1 Grouping and DC Universe:

Some have been saying that DC Universe is a very UN-Social. I disagree with this but I can see why this is the case. Grouping is there and I personally have gone from 1 - 30+ without soloing anything but races. One of the easiest ways is join a League. Leagues while not as robust as some games provide one CRUCIAL benefit. Diversity of partners. Ask in league when you begin a questline I can garantuee that you will find someone with that quest who will more than likely join you.

There is NO detriment to grouping. Quest completion exp is what you're after here and it's ALL yours. Gear is shared but the need greed system (and the hope you don't have 4 tanks) keep it easy to get the Healer gear if it drops without an argument.

Group up!!! There is no reason to solo and you get better working as a team the more you do!

Part 2 Roles and effectively playing yours:

Roles are NEEDED. I'm not saying you can't play any class as a DPS. You can and you SHOULD in fact it is NEEDED. However you can't have 4 DPS heroes... or villians... and hope to take down a HardMode. There is the CHANCE to once you get higher end dps gear for ALL of the party but wipes are in your future.

The effective hardmode is going to have 1 of each. 1 Tank, 1 Controller, 1 Healer, and 1 DPS. And on this I'm not talking someone who just switches roles to accomodate I'm talking someone who plans on playing the Role and who has built for it. A DPS player who just switches to Tank will take longer to kill but isn't doing his job as effectively as he could.

Tanks: Tanks serve perhaps the most vital part to the party and it is heavily unknown how aggro works here but there are some things to be aware of to be a GREAT TANK.

• Ice tanks: CHILL EFFECTS!!!!! This is a must Ice tanks are HIGH defense and need to maintain that. Using your powers add Chill effects which ups your DEF by 200%. You can stack a maximum of 5 chill effect at a time. Your key to effectively TANKING is minor crowd control. Cryogenics is your main 'tanking' line and it has alot of stuns and knockbacks. Ice spike should also be noted as a HUGE single swipe DMG ability that GRABS aggro by the throat in your direction. This keeps the enemies annoyed on you and away from your healer. Storms is mostly a DPS line.

• Fire Tanks: IMMOLATION!!!! Using Immolation abilities ups your HP by 80% and your Healing recieved by 80%. For whatever reason it seems this is the easier tank to use as you just have to keep doing dmg to up your immolation to keep you withsanding. A good healer is essential for a fire tank as they are resorting to having hp refilled quickly if they stutter or get overwhelmed and stunned. The other line once again is mainly for DPS as it does not provide the 80%s.

Controllers: This one's a little easier as it's pretty striaght forward. Wrangle up as many of the "Regen power" abilities as you can and USE THEM EVERY TIME YOU CAN!!!. While in controller mode and using these you'll notice YOUR character, as well, will usually find it hard to run out. I can attest to this, being a raid healer, that you guys are MY healer and without you guys doing what you do the party would not have heals. We work together like Blue and Green lanterns.

Healers: Healers are overplayed but not overBUILT. Alot of characters are being roped into healing because they made Nature or Magic and then got told "Oh By the way we need you to heal" but they are not built for it nor want to do it.

• Nature: NOT shape change. If you spec in Shape change you'll be a jack of all trades but a master of none ESPECIALLY not healing. Your other tree is filled with HoT's (Heals over Time) and other spells that burn them up. You will get  a spell that  will heal someone then bounce around and heal more people the more it goes the bigger it gets. A HoT for the party and an ability that when used all HoT's are exploding healing their maximum instantly. This build has gotten flak as being 'Not as good' But being a magic healer I've seen nature played VERY well it's just how you use it.

• Sorcery:  Circle of PROTECTION!!!! This is a must. With END game restoration I'm healing for over 130-150 or more a tick. BUT groups don't know what this is!!!! You need to tell them. Explain what it is and that if they can stay in it once you put it down on the group of mobs engaged that they will need alot less OH CRAP heals. This circle will heal the little minion damage without ever casting an instant heal, and in boss battles will minimize the need and mitigate DPS directed at your party. Arbiter is also NEEDED for end game raids. Sometimes parties get caugt with their pants down and when they do hit this puppy and HEAL LIKE MAD. It's saved Raids more times than I care to count.

DPS:  EASY. Pick what you enjoy and BURN THEM DOWN haha. It's a little more complicated that that but still simple. Pick what you enjoy and kill, BUT pay attention to what your party is doing. Don't run off don't just kill the boss. You need to kill adds or CC them or Stun them depending on your Origin. The boss will die eventually but Adds and "Minion Spawns" Will drop parties. Nothings more fun than when a healer get's killed by a little spider or a tank gets overwhelmed while holding on to the boss. As DPS use what your origin gives you and SAVE THE PARTY. You are important as DPS and killing things is what you do. Once those pesky adds are gone BURN THAT BOSS TO THE GROUND!!!!!

Part 3 Weapons Armor and INNATES:

Skill in combat playes a big part in this game but Gear and Innates do as well. You should pick the right weapon and armor for the job. I'm not saying don't use the weapon you like but some weapons are better suited for some Origins. This isn't a hard rule just an idea.

• Tanks: MELLEE. Aggro can be controlled by proximity. Rarely does a boss run accrossed the map to come at a ranged DPS. Single SMACK dps is also prime. Brawling and THE BIG HAMMER are great! The quicker weapons work but it takes a little longer to build that enmity than one HUGE SMACK upside the head. 
  •  

• Healers and controllers:  Ranged. Flying helps. Staying up and away is nice when you're providing either CC or Healing. little quick attacks are nice to like staff or Dual wield. In and out in a hurry if needed!

Innates and Stats (gonna leave this one white :-p  )

After 30 you'll realize your character will have ALOT of skill points to work with. Use these for INNATES in the weapon trees for various weapons. You can up your stats for quite a bit... And what else you gonna use those points for!!!

• Tanks: Def/HP depending on your build and if ones low or not. You wanna focus on putting those extra Skill points into weapons that up these things the most

• Controllers: Dom to keep those pesky villians in your GRASP and Vitilization to restore as much power as you can when throwing it. besides that you can up your HP or Crit chance or something up to you on that.

• Healers:  Restoration is KEY. Mines over 1200 and I don't have enough 4 points of Res= 1% healing increase. Def/Hp don't hurt either DOM is nice but not on much healing gear so I wouldn't worry about INNATEs for it since that wont up yours by much.

• DPS:  Crit chance/ HP/Def all pretty straight forward for DPS.

Good rule of thumb is look at your Iconic gear and see what stats it gives. UP THOSE as they are geared towards making you better at saving the world! Some stats such as Willpower and stuff are good as well ALL the stats are nice for ALL the classes as I've been told that Restoration while great for healers "Supposedly" works the other way around upping your HP recieved. Unfortunatly there is no good source of infor for this so I'm sticking it under "Try it". I took DOM out of tanks because this is another "Told it works both ways" by  tank friend of mine. Unconfirmed by me personally.

My last bit of advice is on Iconic and pvp gear. DONT FORGET TO SWITCH. Nothing is worse than walking into a Raid with all toughness gear on and getting 1 shotted but joe schmoe minion.

Like I said this isn't a MUST FOLLOW OR DIE list. It's just some suggestions from what I've experienced building groups and a League for end game content. We've been pretty succsessful with these strategies and I hope you all can benefit from our months of playing. Also I'm not the master of all the classes if you have ANYTHING to add at all either shoot me an e-mail or post it here and I'll be happy to add it (credited to YOU of coarse)

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS!!!!!

Credits: Martyrs Message (Magick Healer), Carmine (Gadgets Controller), Mr. Pickles (Magick DPS), Ms Marvelous (Fire tank). Virtue server. League "The Endless"

Comments

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

You said tanks want dom to break out of cc, but I thought willpower was the stat for breaking cc.f

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by XenOshade

You said tanks want dom to break out of cc, but I thought willpower was the stat for breaking cc.f

Will power as far as I can tell was removed at some point. Dom is the stat of choice so I'm told... But I don't tank so I don't personally know how well it works for breakouts.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Good write up. People don't understand what to do because the in-game documentation needs a lot of work.

I agree some of the stuff in game is very vague... Like if you specialize in a tree that's when you access the "BONUS" that tree offers "Affinity" I think it's called in the top left. Alot of the game could use a little deeper explanation and someone to REALLY dissect it and make a HUGE guide. This was just something little to give people SOME heads up what to see in groups later on.

More in depth on STATS!!!!!!!

I'm going to go over each stat with all the information currently I could find about them and what they're good for in game. I wil also put in the speculatory parts but listed as such.

1. Health: Obvious one here really. More health= longer life. But just how MUCH can be gained from all those innates and HP gear. Honestly this is bigger for tanks than anyone else. But if you plan on PvPing switching on some more HP is ALWAYS a good idea. Personally unless the Iconic gear has it on I'd focus on other things for PVE in terms of INNATES.

2. Power: Important!. It slowly regenerates on it's own and refills a little faster the higher you get your combo built. Fast attackers will regen faster this is why as a healer I try and build a decent combo while not actively healing. Unfortunatly this is a stat not easily uppable besides your gear. Stick with your ROLE iconics and you should be ok.

3. Might: Power... POWER. 1% increase in DMG from powers per 4 points of Might. This is a hit or miss skill. Some people have powers that do things besides damage and this is not going to benefit you. If you're using alot of DMG powers ie: Tanks and DPSers then this is fairly important as will make your 6 abilities that much more potent.

4. Restoration: Healing potency. once again 4 points = 1% healing increase. MUST HAVE for healers (as I can attest) and not TOO bad for a tank as it'll help those self heals but I wouldn't give up anything for it it's just a nice bonus.             *SPECULATION* some have said this also effects how much you get healed for I have not been able to substantiate this as I seem to heal most people who aren't flame tanks for similar amounts.

5. Vitilization: Power Refill potency. Same thing as healing but for controllers ability to refill power. My friend has a little over 1k now and when he's actively helping I find it hard to run out of power as a healer unless things go awry.     *SPECULATION* some say the same thing for this that it effects how much YOU get refilled but this is speculation as well as I can not substantiate. I don't have ANY vit and I get enough power back.

6. Precision: This is VERY usefull. Every 10 points increases your total DPS dealt by your weapon combos by 1. This is even more usefull for characters like me that don't use might since they have no DMGing powers hotbared. at 1k precision you have 100+ DPS which when an endgame weapon is around 100-200 and extra 100 is AWSOME... granted you're sacrificing might for precision usually.

7. Dominance:  This is a characters ability to croud control others. The higher your dominance the more damage an enemy (PvE or PvP) can take before they are released from a CC ability. Most end game instances and raids have a minminum DOM reccomendation. Controllers this is a must for keeping those adds in line and tanks it helps too since you get some nice stuns and such.                *SPECULATION* as stated earlier some have told me DOM helps reduce the amount of DMG you take before you get removed from oppossing CC.... NOT CONFIRMED in any way but some state this is the reason for the Reccomended DOM.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Precision? ;p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Has anyone found any of this helpful?

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Im sure they have, its nice that its up.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• MagefistMagefist Member Posts: 13

I found it very helpful and will try to build my character further with these information. Especially I found it interesting that you can get several passive skills from different weapon specs. They really should have had a decent guide in-game.

Thanks a lot for the guide though.

Originally posted by Magefist

I found it very helpful and will try to build my character further with these information. Especially I found it interesting that you can get several passive skills from different weapon specs. They really should have had a decent guide in-game.

Thanks a lot for the guide though.

Passives are really the way to make your character. My friend and I are both Sorcery characters with similar powersets but our gear and passives make us REALLY different. He can DPS REALLY well by taking what he took and I can Heal ALOT but my dps is eh at best. Alot of people think the game ends at 30 and this is one of the biggest hidden things. My friend has 50+ skill points and each one has worked towards more Attribute Innate abilities. The biggest flaw of DC is that stuff like this is hidden.

Glad to have helped a bit.