Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should age of conan go free to play?

2»

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

It should go F2P but only AFTER launch of The Secret World. If that one has a successful beta, and there seem to be a lot of people  following that game, it could be the kind of P2P game that cannibalizes AoC. I don't think they would want to do that to their own product.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

I wouldn't play again even if it went fully ftp because not having to pay for it would not make it any less a linear snooze-fest.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

How would they divide the content up between the free content and the pay content? You pay for each expansion, so it's a buy to play? What if they did the usual cash shop thing and made you pay for resurection or something like that?

I think paying for the expansions might be a good way to go.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I stopped playing because of things that weren't fixed in the game....Player vs player conflict is still a mess......crafting remains weak and badly designed.FTP changes nothing for me.Correct these problems satisfactorally and I would return...again.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I would look at it again, dunno how long I would stay though.  I sure as hell ain't paying 15 bucks like I di a year or so back just to find it was still as pretty and as shallow as it was at launch. Wasn't the bugs that ran me off at launch, it was the shallow gameplay for casting classes. I might try a melee if it goes F2P and see if the combat is all some like to claim it is for those classes. The mana slingers combat sure wasn't anything special

I miss DAoC

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Azzataky

Originally posted by Zefire

Im just thinking about this game.I know a lot of people have left from this game that means funcom is in a crucial period.

I cant understand how these games manage to stand on their feet.

In my opinion age of conan should go free to play in order to survive.

What are your thoughts?

I dont think so. Even if I'm not playing AoC right now I think its one of best games out there. Just shame ppl dont know that. Bad thing is there is way more articles about WoW than other MMOs.. just because WoW has most fans that means it targets more ppl - more money from commercial etc.. But when I was playing AoC I had great time here, group quests are nice, open world pvp is great even group pvp. Crafting was in that time little odd for me but I didnt care because fighting system is so amazing in this game - it pulls you to the fight as hell. I loved my guardian as I never loved any other melee class. Maybe healing is weird for me because its mostly healing over time (back than it was, not sure how its now).

P.S. I would actualy play AoC but my gf didnt like so much PvP. :P But now im looking forward to GW 2. But still is for me AoC one of MMOs where I had so much fun. Btw combos? AMAZING! :) And dungeons, yea I love dungeons in this game.

Wow just succeded in commercials. Their former game warcraft 3 had one amazing community and then to top it off they advertised everywhere, thats why they are on top. Also i dont see eve falling anytime soon and you see their advertisement all the time too. Its all about advertising, if you manage to hook just a hundred people from advertising then you will have payed for 50 advertisements i think. I mean wow even plays off commercials on tv, its a real sucker to people that have never played an mmo before because they play off such an awesome clip from wow, and then it turns out the game sucked anyway. AoC failed in advertisements, so did darkfall, and lotro. So to put it this way, the less you see of a game the less you want to play it. I mean i always checked darkfall and it was a really tough decision i mean i already played wow. So in the end i ended up trying it since i had ghosted the forums for a whole lot of time and it turns out, its way better then any mmo i have played to this date. I have to say its a tough first week in that game and it almost made me want to quit but if you first get through it then its no way back.

I also have to say AoC was a good game, but it didnt really cut it for me:( I liked it overall but it didnt give the little extra. I tell you try the trial on darkfall and you will be positively amazed, try the trial on AoC and you will certainly not be negatively amazed:P It may be your piece of the cake, however darkfall is mine:D

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Zefire

Im just thinking about this game.I know a lot of people have left from this game that means funcom is in a crucial period.

I cant understand how these games manage to stand on their feet.

In my opinion age of conan should go free to play in order to survive.

What are your thoughts?

The last time I logged in it was too dead. I played for 4 hours going from zone to zone and saw no one except one person in the city. If there was a healthy population and not only at certain times of the day I would play. I think F2P is the only answer for more members. Either that or lower the subscription quite considerably. I loved the pvp in the game and sieges that I got to participate in when the game had a healthy population.