Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC universe PROBLEM or SCAM??!

OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

so i just bought dc universe on steam and downloaded/installed the game

made a acount on sony and succesfully entered my activation code for dc universe.

then i launched the clien logged in and i see  NOT PLAYABLE subscribtion required.

after entering my activation code on the website it sended me to a page to pay subscribtion and even noted that they wont take any money untill my 30 day time (coming with the game) ends so i closed the page since i should have 30 days to play

Comments

• swtoastyswtoasty Member Posts: 13

First of all, it's pretty standard to set up your subscription. If you want you can always cancel it right after you set it up and get your free 30 days.

Also, your sig...it's like an exact description of you :)

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by swtoasty

First of all, it's pretty standard to set up your subscription. If you want you can always cancel it right after you set it up and get your free 30 days.

theres no sign anywhere of you needing to give them your creditcard information in order to even start your 30 days coming with the client.

and while selling the client on steam that offers paypal/ paybycash/iDeal and all that stuff there is no note that shows you can only pay there with creditcard. i dont have one and never needed one before and wont get one for the most failure company i shouldnt even buy something from

im looking for other payment methods atm on their site so maybe i am wrong.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Onigod

theres no sign anywhere of you needing to give them your creditcard information in order to even start your 30 days coming with the client.

and while selling the client on steam that offers paypal/ paybycash/iDeal and all that stuff there is no note that shows you can only pay there with creditcard. i dont have one and never needed one before and wont get one for the most failure company i shouldnt even buy something from

< 18?

Originally posted by nomss

< 18?

nope

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by nomss

< 18?

nope

Then you'd be wise to get a credit card. I guess for you the immediate solution might be prepaid credit card. IDK if it'll be, just suggesting something.

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

I agree, its kind of stupid (even if most MMOs do it), to need a credit card when they won't even charge it anyway.

LEGO Universe was a lot more smart about it...buy game, setup account+cd key and stuff...get in game. Didn't need a credit card at all. 

I NEVER buy anything in real life with credit cards, I had six, shredded all but one, and its a debit card I use to buy stuff from amazon/steam and stuff. I can use the debit card to probably sign up, but its still stupid...why do the MMO companies need a credit card for a free trial? Can't they wait until my 30 days are up? I buy everything with actual cash. Credit cards are just imaginary money and only gets you into debt.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

welcome to the world of mmos...about 90% of them require this....dont be shocked.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

"theres no sign anywhere of you needing to give them your creditcard information in order to even start your 30 days coming with the client."

Buy DC Universe Online

A valid credit card is required to play this game and additional, recurring subscription fees apply.

^^ no of course there wasnt.... 

source: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24200/?snr=1_4_4__100

Originally posted by miagisan

welcome to the world of mmos...about 90% of them require this....dont be shocked.

yes and out of those you have 89% that do want to make money to give their costumers the convient of loads of payments options so their customers can pay wich ever way they like.

anyways i found another way to get it working and can play my first 30 days now not thanks to sony i want to mention:)

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

I circled it for you, OP
    /thread

They will most likely not charge you for the first 30 days but in case you forget that you were still signed up for their trial, they can start billing you even if you don't even want to play. Somebody rich or bad with money wouldn't notice that they're spending $15/mo on a game they don't play and that's free money for SOE. We all know how SOE would choose free money over their own dignity any day because screw the customer.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

/*edit - already posted links, images to disclaimer*/

~Ripper

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Pretty sure SOE require a credit card for all their games anyway.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

The OP is backed up by his signature.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

made a acount on sony and succesfully entered my activation code for dc universe.

then i launched the clien logged in and i see  NOT PLAYABLE subscribtion required.

after entering my activation code on the website it sended me to a page to pay subscribtion and even noted that they wont take any money untill my 30 day time (coming with the game) ends so i closed the page since i should have 30 days to play

Welcome to MMO's. always glad to see new people playing. But yes as others have pointed out... it did indeed say credit card required before you purchased it. Standard practice, every pay to play MMO does this pretty much. 

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Do you not have an ATM/Debit card? If this has already been asked/answered sorry. Most games will require you set up a subscription even when it comes with a free month.You will see when the month ends and when the card will be billed under account management.Best thing to do is just enter a credit card to get the free month then cancel.You will still have the active playing time up to the month runs out from the purchase and not have to worry about the card being charged later on down the road.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Actually I agree with you. There is no clear reason why they should require your credit card number if you are supposed to have 30 days free and actually some companies dont do that. But for some reason most MMORPG companies do, maybe someone else can give the reason for that.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Is there not a game time card option? That is often a way around it. 

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

The other posters already pointed out the folley of the OP's statements, so I won't bear a dead horse.

The negative people will say a Credit Card is required to catch the people who forget to cancel their subscription (assuming they don't like the game) before the free 30 days ends.

The positive people will say a Credit Card is required to allow people uninterrupted service and the ability to keep playing the game (assuming they do like the game) before the free 30 days ends.

Since it is SOE, I think I'll go negative on this one (even though this really is an industry standard).

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

*double post, removing*

• I am often shocked, shocked I say, when I am asked for payment in exchange for goods and services. Who do these people think they are?

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

I am sorry you are so upset over this, but every sub based mmo I have played requires that you subscribe to get your free thirty days. 

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Locked:  OP was resolved.

Side Note:  Use "than", instead of "then" in your sig OP.  : )

This discussion has been closed.