Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keylogger Search Tools Suggestions.

JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Basically one of my game accounts was hacked while I was playing rift beta this week. 

I am pretty sure a duplicate password at some point caused it.  Yeah I know bad.. bad...   =D They didn't get away with everything (bright side). Think they were planning on coming back.  As the character still had some high value items on him. I just happened to log into the game account and see what was going on.  Yeah I was a little lazy.  Lesson learned and I have randomizd every password I have on all accounts and made a list so i can remember them.

I use commodo so I get prompted about my pc  sending or  recieving a connections.

I have: Microsoft Security Essentials: nothing

Malewarebytes: came back with nothing

Doing the free Panda active scan currently. It's picks up things pretty well.  

Going to run a spybot scan after.

Then a google search for some other freeware scanning tools geared more towards keyloggers.

However because google likes to flood the search results with those gimmick tools, I thought maybe some of the locals around here might have some suggestions. 

I would create a account at a more appropriate site. The last thing I want to do at the moment is just that honestly.(plus a email to go with it).  As mentioned I am fairly sure it's simply me using a duplicate password. Suggestions for scanning tools are welcome though. Thanks Jay. 

Edit: One other possibility other than duplicate passwords would be I had won $5.00 from Rixity from here. I spent the $5.00 dollars earlier this week in the games shop. The hack could of occured between Rixity and the game with the way they linked to each other for conversion from money to shop points.  

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Try Ad-Aware. There is a free version that comes with a resident scanner. In the past Ad-Aware has found stuff for me when all others have failed. It's a pretty rock solid malware scanner.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Yeah I was going to try that. That, spybot, avg (till it got bloated) , malwarebytes, and comodo are the ones I use to use regularly. Though my routines pretty normal and I upgraded machines and just went with comodo for the firewall alerts Malwarebytes and M.S.E.  seems much lighter than AVG.  That and I haven't ever picked anything up that I immediately didn't realise what I just did.  Been years.

Still messing around with panda scan.  On my 3rd run eliminating false positives......    It was taking like three hours for the first scan. Deleted games I no longer played to make it scan faster. Just uninstalled M.S.E. because it appears it was picking up like 40 false positives from it.  Atleast I hope.

It's got me a bit spooked though.  Probably going to reboot after and download avg and run it as well. See what it says.  As mentioned though I really  have not broken my normal routine online other than the Rift beta.  So I don't see how I would of picked anything up.

On the upside seems Gala already locked my game account down and is working on tracking and or replacing the junk that they are willing to replace.  Tryed to log in a few minutes ago and couldn't. that spooked me because it kept sayign my new password was incorrect.  I can get on the forums however so it's gotta be what's going on.  =D

I just know keyloggers can be a bitch to detect or at least from what I read.  Is why I was asking if anybody knew of any third party not so well known programs.  In the end if I can't get confirm everythings a false positive that panda is picking up I'm going to reformat I think.

Very tired didn't go to sleep last night and bored waiting on these scans to complete.  Still a long day of this ahead. :/

Thanks again

Jay

Update for anyone who gives a crap.   Appears I have nothing.  Though I did find something funny with one of the security measures on gpotatos website, out of boredom waiting on scanners to finish.

If you go to edit account once logged in at gpotato.com. It asks your real name and d.o.b. before allowing access (security question).

If you go to say rappelz forums log in there and click my account at the top in the yellow bar. It gives you access to that same section without asking the security question.  WTF?!? 

If they let something like that slip. I am even more positive now that the hack (or whatever) occured between the way rixity and gala connect. That and rift are the only things i have down different really over the past few months.

Oh the bastard didn't even have the decency to rename the pets. A guildie spotted a low lvl character running around with one of them last night.  While  I was logged in seeing if gala had done anything yet. Funny thing is I have a stack of 200 plus pet names changes in the my wh.     

The whole things wierd.  Grab a account leave high value items on it while taking other useless items?  Not even bothering to rename pets ect.  whatever no big loss. Didn't play much anyways. Was more worried about other games.  =D 

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Appreciate it.  It was one of the first I used. I was thinking more along the lines of Combofix and such or TDSSkiller.exe. Ended up formatting and reinstalling windows 7 yesterday afternoon. Simply because nothing was turning up or looked out of place.

There is another pc on my network. I can't honestly say I trust their online habbits. Other than some sort of packet sniffer(?), I don't know how else it could be the root of it all.  I have always blocked it with my firewall whenever trys to connect to my pc. Need to get my hands on it when they aren't around.

Wish I knew exactly what happened. Hate throwing stones blindly at crap.

What I do know:

The guy wasn't familiar with the game. 98% sure on this

None of my other game accounts were touched.

Only two things I did out of the norm recently was:

Use the contest money wond for Rixity on the Gpotato account.  ::  I thought rixity had an odd way of going about it (not using a normal GTC prepaid #) and a potential security risk . 

Rift Beta.