Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - Westernization

Comments

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Gardavil2
    I personally hope Tera only gets a language translation. I would really like to see this MMO fall below the radar and stay GOOD.... GOOD from a MMO Player's perspective.

Sorry to disappoint you. TERA already got much more than that. Some of that westernization got even back to the Korean client. Questing has bewn changed a lot since the closed korean beta to the open one (i love cutscenes in the dungeons/campaign quests although i dont understand a thing). Oh they made the game much easier too :( But not only westerners were complaining on difficulty and grind - Koreans were too. It seems that EU/US client will be changed even more.

Still it's the best that is coming within next 2 years.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by kdchan

Originally posted by Solestran

It's already going to be a limited product due to real time combat and lack of target locking.

So the TAB point and click with the spam of skills, no tactic, no dodge, is much better than an action fps mmo?

What a disgrace the mmo community, is because of these spoiled people that the mmo genre is stagnating and never improve.

But hey, i guess is a cultural difference, so have fun in you wow clone of the year (rift), i will never touch anymore a point & click game from now on.

The time and technology is mature eought toward the next-gen mmo.

I think its a mistake to say that tab/auto-lock games take no skill. There are plenty of games that can offer fun that involve tab/ auto-targeting. Skill is much more than hand and eye coordination.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Originally posted by Isometrix

Originally posted by Heretique

They need to get rid of this "westernization".

Yes good idea. We need another Aion with 500 quests that give no quest rewards and 200 hours to get the last 5 levels. That worked well.

I agree, westernization is bad for MMOs... at least IMO. I know you are joking, but seriously, the leveling wasn't THAT bad. I got about a level a day at 45+.. Not insane or something.. I feel you should have to earn your levels, especially as you get higher up.

How is mindlessly grinding in one spot for 12 hours a day "earning" a damn thing? I'll take difficult group content that's challenging and fun over the idiotic concept of "300 mobs til next level". That idea had been done to death in Korean games and i'm looking for them to evolve past the "hourly rates" that they seem to be built around. Hopefully Tera does this.

• Originally posted by Lathander81
    I think its a mistake to say that tab/auto-lock games take no skill. There are plenty of games that can offer fun that involve tab/ auto-targeting. Skill is much more than hand and eye coordination.

Not at all, when you are locked you can't avoid attacks no matter how good you are to dodge, also the TAB targeting genre should die, is an old and tactiless gameplay.

TAB the mob or the player -> start the skills spamming or set a macro to do it -> loot -> repeat to the next target. Come on, this kind of gameplay is boring as hell.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Alders
    How is mindlessly grinding in one spot for 12 hours a day "earning" a damn thing? I'll take difficult group content that's challenging and fun over the idiotic concept of "300 mobs til next level". That idea had been done to death in Korean games and i'm looking for them to evolve past the "hourly rates" that they seem to be built around. Hopefully Tera does this.

After level 20-22 you have to revert to grouping - you still can solo grind but that takes forever. The mobs are much tougher there and killing them solo take a lot of time, but in group that's a different story. Plus after lvl 20 you start getting into dungeons - and that's fun. At the later levels you can even do open dungeons - the ones that multiple parties can get into and disturb each other.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lathander81

Not at all, when you are locked you can't avoid attacks no matter how good you are to dodge, also the TAB targeting genre should die, is an old and tactiless gameplay.

TAB the mob or the player -> start the skills spamming or set a macro to do it -> loot -> repeat to the next target. Come on, this kind of gameplay is boring as hell.

The only difference between dodging an attack and hitting a button to shield against an attack is one uses a mouse and the other uses a button. You still have to know when to do it for it to be effective.

Tera has very few abilities that lock on to a target. The devs have stated this will not change...the action combat is a primary feature of the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by lizardbones

The only difference between dodging an attack and hitting a button to shield against an attack is one uses a mouse and the other uses a button. You still have to know when to do it for it to be effective.

Tera has very few abilities that lock on to a target. The devs have stated this will not change...the action combat is a primary feature of the game.

But you don't click a button to shield an attack in the normal tab targetting. Its just automatically determined based on stats whether you block it or not.

I do agree that Tab/Auto Lock games do take skill, just a different kind of skill. Setting up Macros and spamming skills doesn't mean there is no skill, it just means there is no challenge.

I mean TERA could also have no challenge and you could just stroll in and start swinging away. Doesn't mean there is no skill involved in the system, just the lack of challenge for you to even use the skill you may have.

(I'm not great at explaining things but you should get the general idea)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by lizardbones

But you don't click a button to shield an attack in the normal tab targetting. Its just automatically determined based on stats whether you block it or not.
    I do agree that Tab/Auto Lock games do take skill, just a different kind of skill. Setting up Macros and spamming skills doesn't mean there is no skill, it just means there is no challenge.
    I mean TERA could also have no challenge and you could just stroll in and start swinging away. Doesn't mean there is no skill involved in the system, just the lack of challenge for you to even use the skill you may have.
    (I'm not great at explaining things but you should get the general idea)

I would expect there's going to be some kind of RNG in there somewhere. If it's not your chance to hit, it'll be your chance to crit or the amount of damage you do. The targets have a single hit box, so you don't have head shots to increase damage and stuff like that (from what I've heard, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

A lot of the skill still looks like it's going to come from when you use an ability and managing your resources. Yes, you have to stay on target when doing dps or healing, but I don't think they're going to have a spam style system. You'll have to manage your resources (energy/mana) and know when to hit the big AoE bomb versus when to use your finishing dps move. I think it'll be really cool as long as the whole rest of the game isn't a boring grind. I look forward to finding out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Westernization my ass.

If its a good/bad game there it will still be a good/bad game here, in the case of Tera the combat system is fun and it will here in the west, the problem i see is with the content, or the lack of to say it better and no publisher here will fix that.

As i see what west publishers call westernization is just a marketing tool to grab more people to their games, the only thing they usually do is just tweak the exp. needed to gain levels and call it day, so ill say it again... westernization my ass.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

BrotherMagneto: It also looks like I need to repeat: the community will have a chance to play with the game as it stands now in the community play event, and then follow the progress of westernization through additional events up until launch so you guys can actually experience the things most of you have only been able to speculate about based on livestreams and YouTube videos and second-or-thirdhand chatter, and see firsthand what we've done to adjust and change them.

Straight from the Head Community Manager's mouth. We'll be able to see the game before the changes and be able to test out the westernization changes as they happen. So much for 'Westernization my ass'.

source: http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=291132&postcount=17

Sup.

• Originally posted by judex99Westernization my ass.

Like Somnicide said, you can taste these changes in the WTERA before the release, so if the game don't fit your taste you can avoid pay for it and go play something else.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

I remember when aion was suppose to be the "bridge between east and west game styles"

What we got?  A P2P korean grinder.  The korean gaming industry just does not get it, at all.  They thought a focus on PVP would make the game western.

Western games have a in-depth lore based world, no that does not mean a pretty world graphically, and no that does not mean 500 "farmer needs help" quests or 500 short, non connected quests, dealing with only its immediate surroundings.  That does not mean one storyline linear quest chain.  This does not mean 10 end game raids featuring tank n spank tactics.

I dont know how to explain it, just a short time playing one of these games has that shallow grinder feeling....Ok usually the first 10 - 20 levels or so isnt so bad, it seems they put a lot of effort into the first 3 hours of gameplay, neglecting the rest in favor of some insane idea that spending 8 hours for 10% a level grinding mobs is somehow hard and challanging.

A couple reports out of TERA already suggest that this game is just another grinder, with an attempt to add westernized gimmicks.

Oh and making it P2P just to make it P2P doesnt make the game any better than a f2p game.

I think the real issue here is how they make their games.  Pumping game after game off what seems to be an assembly line gives them that stale and shallow feeling.  Western games take epic amounts of work to complete, and are usualy well cared for after launch, not abandond for the next game comming off the assembly line.  The big successful western p2p mmo's didnt get to where they are off launch material and content, though the years they added and added and added to the game.  Redoing old areas and adding new areas ect.

To be honest, who cares? 

If korean gaming companies want to tailor make their games for another audience let them, enough people seem to enjoy them, theres plenty of well made western games.  Whats the big deal?  Let them do what they do best, good looking graphics, estrogen filled characters, non threataning and strange mobs all standing around waiting for you to park and bot.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by judex99

Westernization my ass.

Like Somnicide said, you can taste these changes in the WTERA before the release, so if the game don't fit your taste you can avoid pay for it and go play something else.

Im already playing the game, and i like it, thats not the point, but if you guys think that the game will change drastically of what we have now in korea then you guys are dilusional, we will have some minor changes and mostly related to exp. gain needed for level up, i think Aion can teach us something on this.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Originally posted by Isometrix

Originally posted by Heretique

They need to get rid of this "westernization".

Yes good idea. We need another Aion with 500 quests that give no quest rewards and 200 hours to get the last 5 levels. That worked well.

I agree, westernization is bad for MMOs... at least IMO. I know you are joking, but seriously, the leveling wasn't THAT bad. I got about a level a day at 45+.. Not insane or something.. I feel you should have to earn your levels, especially as you get higher up.

Every time a game is geared toward western audiences, we get a whole lot of handholding, not much fun IMO.

The game needs to be accessible for those who actually pay the taxes too, and not just the bums who have all day long to grind. The average age of players have risen a lot during the last 10 years meaning there's more working folks these days and mindless grind propably dont appeal to many of them.

It's also just artificial mean to make the leveling process longer thus getting sub-fees for nothing, heavy grinding in essence is just milking the money cow (you) and to me it sounds like insulting business plan towards the customer.

Grind, sure, it's part of mmo. But super grind spiced with extra slow leveling = welcome to western mmo graveyard. I'm following the progress of "western TERA" but I'm not having my hopes up untill more info is released. Hopefully it will carry it's weight and find a spot on EU/US too.

• Originally posted by Kuinn
    But super grind spiced with extra slow leveling = welcome to western mmo graveyard. I'm following the progress of "western TERA" but I'm not having my hopes up untill more info is released. Hopefully it will carry it's weight and find a spot on EU/US too.

Agree with this, hard repetitive task will not be good in the long run, but i've faith in EME and in their work. I'm sure that with the tons of new quest and pvp server designed for us, we will not feel the grind so much, because when you have fun everything else don't matter.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I liked Aion, not so much the grind later on but it wasn't so bad before level 30. Past level 35 was pretty crazy when it was initially launched. I like the music the graphics the fighting style and the jobs. I ended up trying most of them and leveling a couple of them. The thing I did not like at all was how NC West handled the game. When the game launched literally the first 6 months were tiny updates on fixing translated errors for the most part. RMT was not handled well (and rampant for many zones especially zones like Theobomos) for the first six months and after that they went gangster on a good portion of the community, with dozens of threads showing bannings from them stating "Well we don't have concrete evidence that you did anything illegal but we are banning you anyways and it is our final decision". Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg of things NC West did wrong... things got so bad that just a year later you went from 16-18 NA servers down to 4.

I am hoping that En Masse does not make the same mistakes NC West did. I am also hoping that NC Soft is going to open up more with communications with En Masse and allow changes and updates that happen in Korea to transition here more smoothly and quickly. Between NC West and NC Soft you were looking at least 6 months or more for updates to transition from over there to over here, especially the major updates. As far as westernization, I think you guys already got that covered with the examples you gave, however I am frustrated a bit that En Masse has not really given any real specific examples on what aspects of the game they have officially said they will westernize besides the language. Personally I hope the random number generator is not as harsh as it was in Aion when it launched.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

ustream.net/channel/tera---online  

Live stream link of the lvl 27 dungeon.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Westernization my ass.

Im already playing the game, and i like it, thats not the point, but if you guys think that the game will change drastically of what we have now in korea then you guys are dilusional, we will have some minor changes and mostly related to exp. gain needed for level up, i think Aion can teach us something on this.

TERA != Aion. BHS != NCSoft. Basing what companies do off of what other terrible companies do isnt very productive. Why would they have us test out all their changes during the process if the changes are just going to be minor exp based changes? Does that make any sense to you? I expect PvP rules, crafting, gathering, solo quests and a few other mechanics to be addressed.

Sup.

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230

I see, that's why it took the best WoW guilds in the world ages to kill yogg +0 after ulduar was released.

That's why EvE online is the easiest game ever, doing lvl 4-5 missions alone..........um yea right.........

I'd love a free aim fantasy MMO in first person, but to say that normal MMOs don't take skill is bollocks.

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

I guarantee this will be another Aion.

Originally posted by Skeeter870

I guarantee this will be another Aion.

And i guarantee you are wrong.

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

Okay.

I'll bump this thread in six months, we'll see how Tera turned out by then, right?

Originally posted by Skeeter870

Okay.

I'll bump this thread in six months, we'll see how Tera turned out by then, right?

I dont need 6 months.Allready played the beta and was the best experience i had in any mmo so far.

Seriously if they only translate the game it will be good to go.Reached lvl 33 in 1 week with no actual grouping (group for elites and main story quests = a lot more xp than solo).

• bastienobastieno Member Posts: 5

I would say only one thing, ive read early on this thread about the sillys hobbits, halflings goblins over the the excepcionally easterna fabtasy, well its a thing of tastes, i dont like the eastern fantasy, so , Can i say that the Tera races are silly as well?, yes sure tera could have aomethings interesting like combat and atl all, but id rather the western fantasy, also i dont like the eastern aesthitic, so ill stick with thje silliness of hobbits/halflings, ogroes and goblins.

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by bastieno

I would say only one thing, ive read early on this thread about the sillys hobbits, halflings goblins over the the excepcionally easterna fabtasy, well its a thing of tastes, i dont like the eastern fantasy, so , Can i say that the Tera races are silly as well?, yes sure tera could have aomethings interesting like combat and atl all, but id rather the western fantasy, also i dont like the eastern aesthitic, so ill stick with thje silliness of hobbits/halflings, ogroes and goblins.

...ugh I just have to be a dick about this.. I mean we all make typos now and then, but seriously??

--Gaymer Extraordinaire--

This discussion has been closed.