Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSU

earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

Can someone explain to me the difference in TX  HX and AX  in PSU

A corsaic 750 TX is 80 pounts and  the same 120 in HX 

does it worth the money ?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I assume you're comparing Corsair's various power supply lines?  The difference is quality.  That can mean energy efficiency, ripple, clean soldering, different capacitor vendors, more power connectors, longer power connectors, various protections to shut down if things go awry, quieter operation, modular connectors, or a variety of other things.  For example, here's a comparison of three "550 W" power supplies:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices

Among Corsair's lineup, the AX is better than the HX, which is, in turn, better than the TX.  Corsair's TX line is hardly low end, though; it's perhaps a little less nice than the Antec TruePower New that is the best one in the review I linked above, and plenty good enough for the needs of most gamers.  Corsair's HX line is quite nice and formerly their high end line.  Corsair'sr AX line is super high end for people who want the best quality power supply that money can buy.  Well, super high end by desktop standards; it's still not as good as what mission critical servers would use, with redundancy, an online UPS backup, and so forth.

• earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

yep i think i might go with the corsaic hx series

thanks

one more which the fastest ssd out there?

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Corsair everything that you can lol Lifetime Warrantys on Ram is sweet and I believe they still carry 5 year warranties on the PSU's

I thought HX was modular and TX was not and I thought AX was their budget line.

Originally posted by tuzalov

Corsair everything that you can lol Lifetime Warrantys on Ram is sweet and I believe they still carry 5 year warranties on the PSU's

I thought HX was modular and TX was not and I thought AX was their budget line.

HX is modular and TX is not    it goes  TX<HX<AX

Corsair's budget line is CX.  The CX400 was a nice budget unit, but it's gone and the newer CX models aren't so good.  They're not that bad; just not what I'd recommend.

The AX750 and AX850 are rebranded Seasonic X-series power supplies.  Seasonic's X-series was once the mostly undisputed best desktop power supplies on the market, but they've now got competition from Antec's High Current Pro, Enermax's 87+, and some others.

What else are you getting in your system?  750 W is ridiculously overkill for most people.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Corsair's budget line is CX.  The CX400 was a nice budget unit, but it's gone and the newer CX models aren't so good.  They're not that bad; just not what I'd recommend.

The AX750 and AX850 are rebranded Seasonic X-series power supplies.  Seasonic's X-series was once the mostly undisputed best desktop power supplies on the market, but they've now got competition from Antec's High Current Pro, Enermax's 87+, and some others.

What else are you getting in your system?  750 W is ridiculously overkill for most people.

What i am thinking  one 6950 is more than enough so i will use only one card so the system will yse around 650 so i will get a power suply around 650-800 area and i will go with the 750 corsaic hx 

i will buy  i5 2500k oc  ASUS P8P67 PRO  8 GB ram OCZ vertex 120 ssd  1tb hard drive and Coolit  ECO ALC

A system with a Radeon HD 6950 and a Core i5 2500K might use around 300 W at peak load.  A good power supply rated around 500 W is appropriate for that.  If you're overclocking heavily, then you may need more power, but a good 600-650 W power supply should still be plenty.

Originally posted by Quizzical

A system with a Radeon HD 6950 and a Core i5 2500K might use around 300 W at peak load.  A good power supply rated around 500 W is appropriate for that.  If you're overclocking heavily, then you may need more power, but a good 600-650 W power supply should still be plenty.

sorry my bad  the system need 550 psu  what is the difference of taking off a psu that is not modular in comparison with modular? my case is half-x

A non-modular power supply will have a bunch of cables hard-wired to the power supply, and then you take the other end and plug it in to the motherboard, video card, hard drive, etc.  A modular power supply will have a bunch of loose cables, and you pick, the ones you need and plug one end into the power supply, and the other end into the motherboard, video card, hard drive, etc.  That means that the extra cables that you don't use for a non-modular power supply are stuck inside the case, potentially getting in the way.  For a modular power supply, you can pull the extra cables out of the case entirely so they don't get in the way, but still have them to put back in if you need them later.