Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GW2] Out the Old in the New – Your Point of View

Delita+1Delita+1 Member Posts: 32

GW2, I think the most anticipated game of the year!  Looking to pin it against others and see how long the game will last.   How long do you plan on playing GW2?

[GW2] – Developed with proprietary ArenaNet engine, Open world Sandbox, Target select combat system

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Incomplete character creation. All we have of it is the questions and some presets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh1OHBI4uM I also believe this video better shows the gameplay.

• Delita+1Delita+1 Member Posts: 32

Yeah, definitely had a hard time finding a nice video, the one you posted is definitely great, I'll throw it up!

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I think one of your data points is off in the OP. While the phrase 'sandbox' has many interpretations, I don't think it is an accurate descriptor of GW2.

Also, love your name--I'm a huge fan of FF: Tactics.

Originally posted by therez0

I think one of your data points is off in the OP. While the phrase 'sandbox' has many interpretations, I don't think it is an accurate descriptor of GW2.

I think GW2 might actually qualify as a sandbox with the personal storyline being instanced. There really isn't anything stopping you from doing anything or going anywhere you want except for level difference.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by romanator0

I think GW2 might actually qualify as a sandbox with the personal storyline being instanced. There really isn't anything stopping you from doing anything or going anywhere you want except for level difference.

Not really. Sandbox means the content is made by the users. GW2 isn't really a themepark either, some MMOs are moving toward a dynamic questless world, maybe we should call it "dynamic" or something else instead.

Originally posted by Loke666

Not really. Sandbox means the content is made by the users. GW2 isn't really a themepark either, some MMOs are moving toward a dynamic questless world, maybe we should call it "dynamic" or something else instead.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of maybe calling it a hybrid, but i think calling it dynamic might work.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

While the instanced storyline does free up the world, there are still recommendations on which level characters should be in which zones (for lower level characters at least, higher level characters have more free reign). Barring that distinction of sandboxiness (I know some sandboxes also have level rated areas), I think the qualification for 'sandbox' at this point rests on the crafting system. Without a good crafting system to drive commerce and activities, it just won't have enough unscripted activities to qualify as sandbox (IMO). So I think it would be best to avoid the label entirely until we get info on crafting.

• Delita+1Delita+1 Member Posts: 32

I obiously did not have the correct definition in-mind for "Sandbox".  Going to avoid the term here and stick with open world, is that adequete?

/off topic: Thanks therez0, FFT was that "first game" you fall in-love with for me ^__^.

Originally posted by Delita+1

I obiously did not have the correct definition in-mind for "Sandbox".  Going to avoid the term here and stick with open world, is that adequete?

/off topic: Thanks therez0, FFT was that "first game" you fall in-love with for me ^__^.

Just open world probably works better than anything else.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

interessting poll , but do you realise that with a no montly fee game the behavior of gamers is much differently than with a regular P2P game!

People take breaks , and then come back , especial when there is new content, festivals and events. If it doesn't capture you at first , it might do after a 1/2 year. So i think your poll is a little off with the choices.

I am more curious about how many hours people think they will spend! Especial considering that we can estimate the time it takes to get to max lvl to somewhere around 100-160 hours.

Being an altoholic, and having spend 1500+ hours in GW1, with a full 2½ year break in the middle, i can see my self play GW2 on of for the next 5 years, putting atleast 1000 hours ingame. Properly playing 3 alts and a main to max lvl. And spending alot of time in WvWvW.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Theres a exactly equal poll in the SW:TOR forum, what is your objective?

OFF:

Delita...Brings sweet memories

FF Tactics is the best

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

This poll's results are

l u l z worthy

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

i can see myself playing this game over 3 months im pretty sure about it but if the end game is going to be boring, and making new characters way too fast to go for cap lvl and such, i cant see myself playing this game over a year.. not atleast without taking a longer break first

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Originally posted by jondifool

interessting poll , but do you realise that with a no montly fee game the behavior of gamers is much differently than with a regular P2P game!

People take breaks , and then come back , especial when there is new content, festivals and events. If it doesn't capture you at first , it might do after a 1/2 year. So i think your poll is a little off with the choices.

I am more curious about how many hours people think they will spend! Especial considering that we can estimate the time it takes to get to max lvl to somewhere around 100-160 hours.

Being an altoholic, and having spend 1500+ hours in GW1, with a full 2½ year break in the middle, i can see my self play GW2 on of for the next 5 years, putting atleast 1000 hours ingame. Properly playing 3 alts and a main to max lvl. And spending alot of time in WvWvW.

and how exactly are you able to estimate how long it will take to hit max level?

Originally posted by tavoc

and how exactly are you able to estimate how long it will take to hit max level?

well we know that each lvl will take the same amount of time , and developers have mentioned 1½ hours as an exsample , and 80x1,5=120hours  so i figured somewhere in that area!

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Actually, people do this with P2P MMOs too, all the time. How many times do you hear people say they will re-up to check out this or that new expansion? They play through the new content, or until they get to max level, or until they get too busy, or until they're bored, etc. and then they cancel - but expect to return later. Just like with GW.

I'm not going to go so far as to guess what percentage of subscription gamers do this, but the expectation that other MMO gamers simply retain their subs for the life of the game unless they are specifically unhappy with it is not strictly true.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Actually, people do this with P2P MMOs too, all the time. How many times do you hear people say they will re-up to check out this or that new expansion? They play through the new content, or until they get to max level, or until they get too busy, or until they're bored, etc. and then they cancel - but expect to return later. Just like with GW.

I'm not going to go so far as to guess what percentage of subscription gamers do this, but the expectation that other MMO gamers simply retain their subs for the life of the game unless they are specifically unhappy with it is not strictly true.

True, the difference is that with B2P they can jump in if they have an hour or 2 but know they can't pay for the rest of the week, most people don't bother to resub for that.

I do know a lot of people who resubs to Wow when the new expansion comes out and quit again after 2-3 months.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I will play it as long as there is something to keep me playing, which is btw my biggest fear for GW2 cause I wanna play it for a long time. Which brings me to the question of end game. In some games you grind raids over and over daily, I wanna see what it will be in GW2.

Originally posted by sidhaethe

And what is your point , that what i am saying is not an essential differense between B2P and P2P games? One that affact how you approach your gaming time? If you don't want to quess percentage your point loose importance.  

to quote Jeff strain from when he was with arenanet.

Be very aware of the choice you are asking players to make, and the frequency of that choice. In a subscription model you are asking players to make a choice every month, and it is a fairly drastic choice: Stay married, or get divorced? It is certainly the case that if every player decides to stay married every month, you can make more money from each player in the subscription model. But that will rarely be the case, and not something that you should count on. Every month, some percentage of your player base will decide on divorce, and as with marriage in the real word, once you are divorced you rarely get married to the same person again. If you go the subscription route, you’ll need to have the confidence that your marriage rate will exceed your divorce rate.

With Guild Wars we ask players to make a choice only one time, and that choice is whether to buy the game, or not to buy the game. While we don’t enjoy a recurring revenue stream each month, we do benefit from the fact that most Guild Wars players come back to the game when we release new content, so we are less concerned about players putting the game down for a few months. Players don’t have to decide whether to stay married or get divorced, they just have to decide whether they want to play today or not. Beyond the benefit of a lower pain threshold to get into the game, this is the core strength of the Guild Wars business model, and one of the reasons it continues to thrive when many other subscription-based MMOs are struggling.

http://eu.guildwars.com/press/article/jeffgc2007/