Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Conflict in GW2 Character Naming

KleirKleir Member UncommonPosts: 155

The question is, are names reserved before or after GW accounts are linked to GW2 accounts.

Lets say I buy GW2 and play for a week or so.  Then I register my GW account to my GW2 account, and when I try to create a character with the reserved name of my main character from GW it won't allow me because within that week where I wasn't registered someone else made a character in GW2 with my GW character's name.  Hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

If it just so happens that this problem may occur, then all we can do is register those accounts ASAP.  But if that isn't the case, then we will have so many names that will already be taken with the release of GW2.  I prefer the second circumstance due to fairness and also GW forces two-part names, so we will still be able to have the freedom to create any one-part name we choose. 

"Many have eyes, but few have seen." - Goddess Lyssa

Comments

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Kleir

The question is, are names reserved before or after GW accounts are linked to GW2 accounts.

Lets say I buy GW2 and play for a week or so.  Then I register my GW account to my GW2 account, and when I try to create a character with the reserved name of my main character from GW it won't allow me because within that week where I wasn't registered someone else made a character in GW2 with my GW character's name.  Hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

If it just so happens that this problem may occur, then all we can do is register those accounts ASAP.  But if that isn't the case, then we will have so many names that will already be taken with the release of GW2.  I prefer the second circumstance due to fairness and also GW forces two-part names, so we will still be able to have the freedom to create any one-part name we choose. 

Yea agree to that. Fair idea. But I guess my nick wont be there so.. I wont be that pissed either.. :D

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

do you honestly think that they would allow that to happen?  Honestly, they most likely take the names, put them in one place, and only GW2 accounts that are linked to GW1 accounts can use the names that are on those GW1 accounts.  Worry about something else.

/thread

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• KleirKleir Member UncommonPosts: 155

Well what else is there to worry about, everything else about this game seems great, all there is to do is speculate.  GW2 is connected to GW.  If I make a new character in GW after registering the account to a GW2 account, then that new name is locked for me in GW2.  Its not any extra work on their part to do something like what I've suggested.  I think it is very possible and best to do.  It isn't going to be a huge problem for new players who never played GW...

"Many have eyes, but few have seen." - Goddess Lyssa

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

i guess you can be afraid of getting your name taken only if you decide to name yourself warrior of darkness, naruto or sephiroth .... >_______>

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I actually do have a legitimate concern for reserving my name, because there have been people attempting to impersonate me in GW1 (dunno why me of all people, but it did happen). So I would hope there is a solid way to reserve names without flooding the namespace before the game even launches.

Ideally, they could implement something in the EotN where you can pick 2-3 of your character names to be reserved for you. If you want more, it should be a purchase option.