Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth it

MMHELMMHEL Member Posts: 313
 Is it worth it plz tell me

Comments

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

it's worth it to try the free 2 week trial that mmorpg.com is offering.

http://www.mmorpg.com/eve_trial.cfm

I've been enjoying it. It's certainly different than any other MMO I've played.

so...

• wobblewobble Member Posts: 2

Would you say the game has a steep learning curve? Does the game play flow along or do you tend to get bogged down by micro-management issues?

• OoshaOosha Member Posts: 2

Eve isn't about leveling up, there are simply no levels to gain. If want a certain skill, buy it from the market, and learn it in Real Time

Even a new player can contribute to the game in more then one ways. If you like PvP, after 2-3 weeks you can be a real pain for even the most experienced players.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

The learning curve is fairly steep when you jump into the game but, it quickly vanishes once you get a hang of how to move around and accomplish simple tasks. The rest of the game is really based on your own intelligence and how quickly you can figure things out. As for micro management, the game is based quite strongly on it and user interface helps manage just about everything very well. From managing your personal hanger to playing the market or even managing a corporation or an entire alliance, the tools incorporate in the game are awesome and help you keep track of whatever it is your doing.

Don't get the learning curve mixed up with usefulness though. As Oosha mentionned, even players with weak skills can be of great help in battles as support pilots. There is so many factors involved in combat that even a newbie frigate pilot can find himself useful in engagements.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• wobblewobble Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give the free trial a go and see what happens. I pretty interested from what I've seen and heard from various sources...

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Eve is an afk-peoples game. No short-term goals and end-game content is impossible to obtain without waiting 3 months unconditionally. The game should come with a retail price of 3 months game-time to make it more clear that youre not gonna see anything good and you may as well pay up now.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

Grim - dont know what you are talking about...

i actually enjoy the starter game quite a lot. WHen i start to feel bored of the game, i make an alt and play a noob for a while - the feeling of getting new skills and able to use new modules in the first days is a ncie one.

I know people in my corp who have played under a month and are very very useful in large fleet battles. Its all about co-operative and competitive play

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

We sure do get a lot of trial-account-know-it-alls on these forums, don't we?

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

LMAO @ grim ::::01::

No kidding magic, it's great how they have the only opinion and spew it like it is the right opinion.

The question is, why are they even reading this section if they don't play or intent to play EVE...probably because their game is so entertaining! ::::03::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• CarsonCarson Member Posts: 17

This game is definatly worth it.

The community is possibly the best community on the internet I have encountered, they are very very helpful. There is a fiarly steep learning curve, but with the help of the community (who do help and not just call you a "newb") you'll feel comfortable and get the hang of everything in a few hours.

There is something to do always, the first week or so is probably the most entertaining as there is alot of things you can experiment with and do.

I suppose I can't say much more than what has already been said. But this is probably the richest and deepest MMORPG out there.

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358
    i'm not subscribing anymore, but its a cool game to play when yur playing other games... i was getting on eve, lvling my skills up and then playing my other shit, i was doing that for like 2 or 3 months, i just felt i had no chance to compete with the other folks who were way beyond me
  • nessedsnesseds Member Posts: 31
    If you are a SCI-FI  fanatic, you will find this game all worth it. ..Yes it is a good space game but it doesn't have lots of fun..That's all I can say..image

Originally posted by necbone
    i'm not subscribing anymore, but its a cool game to play when yur playing other games... i was getting on eve, lvling my skills up and then playing my other shit, i was doing that for like 2 or 3 months, i just felt i had no chance to compete with the other folks who were way beyond me

Just to comment, I am a player for 2 years, and personally, i cant compete against all the other folks.... but in a corp i can play an important part which makes my corp that little bit more competitive.

In Eve you are not "the hero", you are just one of tens of thousands of pod-pilots... in groups and corps and alliances you make the difference, not individually.

• scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by MMHEL
     Is it worth it plz tell me

This game isnt fun for the first 2months because you have to get your certain skills up in order to get into combat. (if thats what you like) After that.. Eve is the best mmorpg you will ever play.

Originally posted by dRedawg
    Originally posted by MMHEL Is it worth it plz tell meThis game isnt fun for the first 2months because you have to get your certain skills up in order to get into combat. (if thats what you like) After that.. Eve is the best mmorpg you will ever play.

:O

I acutally found building my char up heaps of fun. There is so many skills and different ways to take your char, half the fun is deciding what to be and working your way up! :P

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Cenn
    Originally posted by necbone

Just to comment, I am a player for 2 years, and personally, i cant compete against all the other folks.... but in a corp i can play an important part which makes my corp that little bit more competitive.

In Eve you are not "the hero", you are just one of tens of thousands of pod-pilots... in groups and corps and alliances you make the difference, not individually.

Excellent comment that explains the dynamic behind Eve Online. People need to stop trying to explaining Eve Online using old dynamics found in tradtionally vanilla level based fantasy games. Rather than try to compete you need think about finding a role within its universe. Simply gunning for the biggest ship, with the biggest gun will get old extremely fast. More often than not, it will see you lose 3+months ISK down the drain when your battleship is recycled 5 minutes after leaving the station.

CCP provide the bare bones and allow players to flesh out the universe. It is up to you to make your own decisions and your own path in Eve - the old frontier feel prevails. Ignore everything that you have learnt in previous MMOGs because the dynamics do not apply. You can be competitive and you can find a role but not in the traditional highest level with best equipment dynamic. For anyone who wants immediate gratification then Eve is not the MMOG for you. It's a deep, complex, beautiful game that rewards time, patience, thought and most importantly, player imagination. The old hardcore/casual dichotomy doesn't exist because off-line real time training allows ALL players to compete.

No, you may not be able to catch up older players in training time but very few - if any - older players will be attempting to play Eve solo. In the higher end game (Alliance controlled 0.0 sec space), solo players brainwashed with the traditional MMOG dynamic will not last 5 seconds. If you think outside the box, and find a niche, a way to be useful to Alliances and/or Corporations (you do NOT have to be a slave - if you are, your Corporation sucks hard on man management skills and you're being exploited. Leave!) you may survive and prosper. No, you probably won't be a threat or even appear on their radar but you'll be playing Eve your way.

If you expect to jump into the game, purchase the biggest ship, laden with the biggest guns and not be laughed at in local as you fly back to the nearest station in your pod, then you will not have an enjoyable experience.

Just my own personal view and experience. I'm not part of a Corporation at the moment, and am biding on my time on joining one. I'm still doing my own thing, finding myself a role within Eve and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I don't concern myself with how much ISK I'm making an hour compared to another player or Corporation, consequently I enjoy myself a lot more. I know my place within Eve - I barely appear on the radar of even NPC rats but that's my decision for now. With Eve's skill system, you can be (role) anything that you wish to be. But where the traditional MMOG dynamic does apply in Eve is the social aspect: what to get on, then get along (as recruitment consultants will tell you). If you neglect the social/political aspect of Eve, then you're missing out on a huge chunk of the game.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

aka Cassi O'Peia
    Gallente Federation

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by grimboj

Eve is an afk-peoples game. No short-term goals and end-game content is impossible to obtain without waiting 3 months unconditionally. The game should come with a retail price of 3 months game-time to make it more clear that youre not gonna see anything good and you may as well pay up now.

My first 3 months in-game were great fun. Exploring a whole new universe. Interacting with other players to actually have an impact even in your own small way.

Re: Riotgirl

I think you explained the game perfectly. That's how I feel about EVE but never was about to have a way with words in describing it.

Well said :)

• IFamiINIeIFamiINIe Member Posts: 13

Well I started on the game a year and half ago. It's very well worth it. It's one of those games where it's "Complicated" yet "Easy" to understand. Everything about it is an plus. You have the staff talking to the players. You have the players talking to the staff. You have the best graphics and visuals anywhere. Yet doesn't require a super graphic/system setup (900mhz, PCI Radeon = Me). If you take the time to view the trailers and player made movies on there site. You will see that.

The world it self is what you make it. No other MMO can compete with that. It's like living in the real world yet not. Sometimes I wonder why, it's not more than just 4% of the MMO community other than the fact that noone knows about it. I've played all the top MMO's and this would be my pick for the best.

Also, Skillpoint wise it doesn't matter. Like so many of us who havn't played since "Beta". We still have the best time ever. It's not about SP, it's about you... BTW, Eve-Online is the most balanced game on the market. Due to the staff having a brain. I love Eve :)

-Famine Aligher'ri, of Voice of One

[quote]Originally posted by Riotgirl
    //snip//
    aka Cassi O'Peia
    Gallente Federation
    [/b][/quote]

You know, i was pleasantly suprised at the intelligence of your response :) And all your responses to be honest :)

I should try to look you up in game sometime :)

aka Vel Kyri
    Reikoku