Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player friendly?

StimpakStimpak Member Posts: 3

Is this game friendly to new players?

From what I have read about the game it sounds very interesting and I would like to forge an identity for myself?

Any veteran players able to give me tips on how to make it an enjoyable experience so I do not rage-quit?

Also is the free trial enough time to determine if I would like the game?

Comments

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by Stimpak

From what I have read about the game it sounds very interesting and I would like to forge an identity for myself?

Any veteran players able to give me tips on how to make it an enjoyable experience so I do not rage-quit?

1. Not really. Then again, it's not very friendly to anyone, so don't feel discriminated against. 

2. The mark you leave upon the game is limited only by your own creativity, for the most part. Great thing about sandboxes.

3. First off, read, read, and read some more. Treat it like a night class in college for a week or two. Then, pick a skill path/career and stick to it. While you can be relevant as a newer player, you'll have a much tougher time of it if you try and do everything all at once. Unless you're a hard-core solo-er, find a good corp that teaches new players asap. Eve University is a good place to start looking. Additionally, the outside-of-game third-party application 'evemon' is almost essential these days for planning a character without screwing it up too badly.

4. Ten days just gets your feet wet. PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a 21 day pass, if you want.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Good questions.      I'll be as honest and clear as I can be to answer them.

Is this game friendly to new players? -   The short answer is "no", but the real answer is "it's getting better".   Also, in my opinion, the game is friendly enough for new players as long as they are willing to take their time, go through the tutorials (yes there's many tutorials to go through, not just 1 like other games) -- and read read read.   Lots of information all readily available and very helpful.    Also helps if you have a good grasp and understanding with Windows operating systems as the game UI works just like Windows Explorer.   [right clicks, menus,  and the "show info" option in every menu is the same function as the "properties" selection in Windows menus]

Any tips on making it an enjoyable experience so I do not rage-quit? Well, I have many tips to give the typical new EVE player, but here on the forum, in the spirit of 'trying' not to make a wall of text, I'll be sparing.    

Tip #1. Read as much as you can find about the game.

Tip #2.  Ask questions in-game. The game has rookiehelp chat, Help chat, and your starting Faction chat channels.  All have helpful people in there, waiting to offer assistance to those wanting to get started.     Do not be affraid to ask questions.

Tip #3.  Talk to people and find a corporation to start in.... EVE's learning curve and the availability of certain aspects of the game are greatly effected by how many people you're playing with.

Tip #4.  Have a goal.   Eve does not hold your hand or point you in ANY direction.... you have to know what you want to do, or where you want to be, and then you work backwards researching what it takes to get it accomplished.

Tip #5.  Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.   You will lose ships, so be prepared for it.

Tip #6.  Try to understand that Eve's combat system is tactical and more in-line with RTS concepts rather than 3rd/1st person WASD controls.    If you don't like RTS games like starcraft, command & conquer, Homeworld, etc - you may not enjoy Eve's space combat.

Edit:  Is the 10 day Trial enough time to determine if I'll like it? I would say no.   That trial seems more like it's to give people a good idea of how the interface works and how the combat engine feels.... there's almost nothing you can accomplish after 10 days that you couldn't do on day 1.

Hope that helps!  I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I haven't played in a long time, but it wasn't when I was playing.  Plus reading the forums alot, I don't gather that it has gotten to be friendly.  That shouldn't stop you though.  It has a very loyal fan base that I am sure would help you when you log in.  I think they have a free trial, so there is no harm in trying.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

If the new player is willing to learn a completely new kind of MMO and have patience, yes it can be. If it's a typical MMORPG player who has grown acustomed to WoW or even *shiver* Rift, then no.

This isn't a question.

Join a corp, good god, I cannot stress that enough. Ask around, get to know people. This isn't World of Warcraft where you can click a button and queue for dungeons with nameless people. EVE is a game about people, and you will want to kill yourself after the first day if you don't socialize. The E-Uni channel is a great way to start. EVE University itself isn't that great of a corp (too large, not personal enough), but the channel itself is a good way to ask advice. Talk around in the Recruitment channel. Look me up in game too, I'm Aaron Price.

No. The trial limits you on the skills and ships you can use, so not at all. It gives you an impression what basic combat and market mechanics are like, but that's about it. If you want to do well in EVE (i.e. fly big ships, be rich, be famous, whatever) you need to invest months into it.

What makes me qualified to answer these questions? EVE vet for 3 years almost.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Toxilium
    If the new player is willing to learn a completely new kind of MMO and have patience, yes it can be.

I agree with above.

Imho, the game is very friendly to new players. There is a ton of help everywhere.

1) There are extensive tutorials you can come back to anytime.
    2) There is dedicated, very active chat channel for Rookie pilots as well as there is a dedicated channel for pretty much any part of the game.
    3) People in starter corps are very helpful too.
    4) There is in game browser with EVElopedia - just in type what interest you. If you cannot find an answer there, you can just use any fan site or official forums the same way.
    5) There are player corps dedicated helping new players.

But it does not all come to you, you have to go out and ask, explore and research. Such is the game - huge world, your choices.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i hate this thing why i should be friendly whit ppl in a pvp game, if you want to be friendly you have real life and you get "tangible" benefits from that, ppl play games to kill other ppl so why you want to be friendly whit your enemy...

BestSigEver :P

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by cosy

i hate this thing why i should be friendly whit ppl in a pvp game, if you want to be friendly you have real life and you get "tangible" benefits from that, ppl play games to kill other ppl so why you want to be friendly whit your enemy...

Wow, bro. That is...completely not same context of what they are talking about when it comes down to that question.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

ppl play games to kill other ppl

No, they don't. You do.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Robokapp
    2)the red guys. These are unfriendly and will kill you.

About half of my friends in Eve are red to me.

Just sayin'

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

i hate this thing why i should use grrammur in a messege bord

• SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69

you'll need a hammer for that

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

when you learn a language playing game and reading/poating in forums you stop carrying about grammar

BestSigEver :P

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

To the right kind of player, who brings the right attitude, yes, amazing.

To the kind of player that tries to play EVE as Yet Another MMO: no, hideously hostile.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Depends how concerned you are about making your meaning clear. If you cant be bothered to ask for help or information in a clear, well-written post, why should anyone take the trouble to answer it?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

when you learn a language playing game and reading/poating in forums you stop carrying about grammar

Bullshit.
    From mediocre to almost fluent playing games and posting on forums crew checking in. I'm a better grammar nazi than most native speakers.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Join a corp, good god, I cannot stress that enough. Ask around, get to know people. This isn't World of Warcraft where you can click a button and queue for dungeons with nameless people. EVE is a game about people, and you will want to kill yourself after the first day if you don't socialize. 

Just because this is so vital, I had to bump it. 

We cannot stress this enough;  EVE is a game about people.    The game works because the people interract, not because the game system pushes them along in any direction.    This is by far the biggest misunderstanding about the community in EVE.  

If someone goes into the game not wanting to deal with communication, social networking, reading, research, and in-game politics, they've probably been misinformed about the experiences they'll have in EVE.    

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Malcanis

To the right kind of player, who brings the right attitude, yes, amazing.

To the kind of player that tries to play EVE as Yet Another MMO: no, hideously hostile.

Totally agree with this. EVE is not yet another mmo.

Keep on rockin'!image