Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Devs Tackle Gathering

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone has been updated with a new "Ask the Devs" feature. While very short, the new article gives some useful information about the gathering process. Included are questions about wait times, flashing 'gather' notifications and more.

Even after I finish gathering and receive the "There is nothing left to gather at this location" message, the gathering point continues to flash, as if there were something still there. No matter how long I wait, though, I cannot gather there again. Why is that?

A. To prevent the exploitation of Eorzea's limited resources, Disciples of the Land are encouraged to visit several locations, rather than continuously deplete a single area. After gathering from one point, try visiting others. In time, you will find the first point will become available again.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

OMG this seems like SE is trolling, self bumping etc etc.

I think they need to make a new game and abandon this. Unless they can produce something better then GW2, or SWTOR they need to stop embarissing themselves ><

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by nomss

Unless they can produce something better then GW2, or SWTOR they need to stop embarissing themselves ><

GW2 is irrelevant, anyone can produce something better than SWTOR. SE has nothing to worry about.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

They have a chance to turn it around. The patch is cool but where is the content that will make this game not boring?

Originally posted by Xzen

They have a chance to turn it around. The patch is cool but where is the content that will make this game not boring?

The patches are divided into two types. Looks like there will be monthly adjustment and content patches from now. Adjustments next week, content few weeks later, then adjustments again etc.

Originally posted by danJ188

Im pretty SE will never, ever have the numbers GW2 will have.

So your statement is a tad(Well, very) biased towards SE.

That changes absolutely nothing. Of course it might have a bit of an effect initially depending on when the PS3 version is released compared to GW2, but other than that, whether GW2 sells 6 million copies or 100 thousand is not relevant whatsoever to Square.

There is not really any bias in there (towards SE at least), simply said GW2's success does not mean anything to this game nor any other MMORPG out there.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97

this game still exist? thought they shut the server down and /slap their own face

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Is the game still free to play ?

It's still buy to play.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4709644

Is all I have to say on the matter.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

OMG this seems like SE is trolling, self bumping etc etc.

I think they need to make a new game and abandon this. Unless they can produce something better then GW2, or SWTOR they need to stop embarissing themselves ><

I would be amazed if they could make a game better then 2 games that aren't out yet.

It would be like if they made FF15 better then FF27.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

If they get rid of all the rng that seems to saturate everything in this game then thats a step in the right direction, but they would still need to rework just about everything to make this a game that's worth paying for.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Unless they can produce something better then GW2, or SWTOR they need to stop embarissing themselves ><

GW2 is irrelevant, anyone can produce something better than SWTOR. SE has nothing to worry about.

I find your statement highly illogical

Lately, the games SE have been producing show that they really can't do much than make some nice graphics.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

SE has nothing to worry about, really now, really?!! FFXIV is probably the worst AAA MMO title ever released, there is literally next to nothing to do in the game.. Hell, it seems even the sandboxers won't touch this game.

• The main difference between SE and other gaming companies is that SE never gives up on their products. FFXIV will slowly climb up from that hell hole and become a worthy AAA MMO while other MMOs fail and step down from the competition. SO while it may suck now, this will become badass within time, just take a look at FFXI, same shit happened there and nowadays it's one of the best out there.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by yokosu

The main difference between SE and other gaming companies is that SE never gives up on their products. FFXIV will slowly climb up from that hell hole and become a worthy AAA MMO while other MMOs fail and step down from the competition. SO while it may suck now, this will become badass within time, just take a look at FFXI, same shit happened there and nowadays it's one of the best out there.

One of the best with low population due to an ill initial reception.

FFXI suffers from poor launch = low pop as does WAR, VG and I'm sure others. You can climb up in the hole but you can't climb out of it. First impressions are everything and MMOers are a finicky bunch.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by danJ188

Im pretty SE will never, ever have the numbers GW2 will have.

So your statement is a tad(Well, very) biased towards SE.

That changes absolutely nothing. Of course it might have a bit of an effect initially depending on when the PS3 version is released compared to GW2, but other than that, whether GW2 sells 6 million copies or 100 thousand is not relevant whatsoever to Square.

There is not really any bias in there (towards SE at least), simply said GW2's success does not mean anything to this game nor any other MMORPG out there.

It's sort of relevant, if GW2 sells 6 million copies, then that is 6 million players that aren't playing FFXIV. Meaning that if GW2 or SWOTOR do well, FFXIV's improvements don't bring in new players, which means they've pumped money into a game that is already dead. Sure there are the die hard FF fans that will never leave no matter what and I'm sure they will be happy about it but SE isn't going to redeem themselves (which is what they apparently want to do) if the MMO crowd is elsewhere.

If somehow, GW2, SWOTOR etc... all fail, that's a lot of people with bad tastes in their mouths, no where to go and a second look at a game like FFXIV might start looking like a very good idea. But if these new MMOs deliver what is promised, then I think FFXIV will be in a bit of trouble (not meaning it will shut down, but definitely won't reach it's possible potential).

Not trying to slam FFXIV here (although I was one of the people heavily letdown by this game), but the truth is, no one is going to notice these changes if they are happily elsewhere, playing better games.

Originally posted by skeaser

One of the best with low population due to an ill initial reception.

FFXI suffers from poor launch = low pop as does WAR, VG and I'm sure others. You can climb up in the hole but you can't climb out of it. First impressions are everything and MMOers are a finicky bunch.

Which is why "acceptable" is not acceptable. They need to do more than that. No MMO so far has.

And sure, this one may not either. But they are giving it a go, and are sitting on top of a pile of cash. They have what it takes, resource side at the very least.

Originally posted by spidii

It's sort of relevant, if GW2 sells 6 million copies, then that is 6 million players that aren't playing FFXIV.

But if these new MMOs deliver what is promised

False logic. No B2P title is going to affect the success or failure of any MMORPG more than in the short-term. It has no longevity, so people are going to come back like a boomerang sooner than later.

It will also deliver what is promised, I don't doubt that.

They need to play their cards right though, with proper marketing, re-reviews and free trials in time for the PS3 release. It's a rough road but the competition is not an issue.

Originally posted by spidii

It's sort of relevant, if GW2 sells 6 million copies, then that is 6 million players that aren't playing FFXIV.

But if these new MMOs deliver what is promised

False logic. No B2P title is going to affect the success or failure of any MMORPG more than in the short-term. It has no longevity, so people are going to come back like a boomerang sooner than later.

It will also deliver what is promised, I don't doubt that.

They need to play their cards right though, with proper marketing, re-reviews and free trials in time for the PS3 release. It's a rough road but the competition is not an issue.

I'm sorry you see grind as content and longevity, I really am. This has been talked about before, just because a game requires you to get several thousand of XXX just to get YYY doesn't mean that it has longevity or content. Grind is just keeping you doing the same thing so you progress slower and therefore get to enjoy less of the game.

Originally posted by romanator0

I'm sorry you see grind as content and longevity, I really am. This has been talked about before, just because a game requires you to get several thousand of XXX just to get YYY doesn't mean that it has longevity or content. Grind is just keeping you doing the same thing so you progress slower and therefore get to enjoy less of the game.

I don't really care about your definition of grind, it makes people play the game for longer, therefore it adds longevity. GW2 does not have grind, therefore it is not going to be a long experience. Few months for most, at best.

I don't really care about your definition of grind, it makes people play the game for longer, therefore it adds longevity. GW2 does not have grind, therefore it is not going to be a long experience. Few months for most, at best.

Except that if you go down into lower level areas and do lower level content your level scales down so you don't one or two shot everything and it is all viable content to do again. GW2 has no grind so that people don't feel like they are stuck in a stasis doing the same thing over and over and over and over. Maybe people will hit the cap quickly, but that isn't stopping them from going back to an area they like and doing the things they like. Leveling isn't content or the be all end all. It is only a means to an end, and that end is to measure your character's progression.

• cpoustiecpoustie Member Posts: 32

I normally don't post as you can see by my post count but the above is so moronic I just had to say something.  The above paragraph describes every single MMO in existence exactly...  You get to level cap and you grind dungeons/raids, grind several thousand of xxxx (justice/valor/fame/pvp/whatever points) for yyyyy (gear).  So apparently the vast majority of people who play MMO's do see grind as content and longevity and are quite happy with it depending how it's packaged.

Honestly out of every MMO i've played FFXI got the most right.  Solo is hard but possible, grouping is encouraged and rewarding, rewards/loot/whatever at practically all levels.  Multiple endgame activities, sure you could gripe PVP sucked but hell like I care it's a PVE game that is that.  Again, it is grind this for that, but with 15+ classes you can do whatever the hell you want.  As to subs I'm happy with 500k, the huge player base of WoW allows the retards and other undesirables to reach critical mass and ruin the game for everyone.

Maybe I'm a fanboi or whatever, but FFXIV is a game worth saving.  I sure as hell can't wait to see airships/boats, and what is sure to be an epic storyline between the dragons and humans.  Eidolons/Summons whatever you want to call them will obviously play a part again as in FFXI as well. 

Except that if you go down into lower level areas and do lower level content your level scales down so you don't one or two shot everything and it is all viable content to do again. GW2 has no grind so that people don't feel like they are stuck in a stasis doing the same thing over and over and over and over.

For what purpose would they go down into lower level areas? Do you get something out of it? Do you have to grind for something there? If not, that's not a replacement to make the game longer.

I understand why ArenaNet has made it so the game has no grind, and I applaud them, but that doesn't change the facts. The game does not need longevity because their payment model is not based on people playing the game as long as possible. As long as people buy the game off the shelf, that's enough. They won't lose a dime if most of those players leave the game after 2 months, as long as the game gives good enough impression to them so that expansions will also sell well.