Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Jobs should i combine with my rdm?

LIt4g0LIt4g0 Member Posts: 23

I have a rdm lvl 20.
But what im wondering about is if i should keep playing with rdm as main?
Right now i have blm as sub... im happy with that.. but getting kinda tired of mages...
The thing i really wanted 2 be was a drg/rdm but i dunno if its such a good combination???
Maybe i should change 2 war?
And one last thing:
As a rdm should i use a warrior like armor or mage like???
What u guys say???

The right man for the right job.

Comments

• GoshinGoshin Member Posts: 4

You can use any combination you want its up to up like if you want pow have war or mnk as sub or main int/magic blm/whm agi/skill thf/nin or any other

ill give u a little list:

• rdm/war
    • rdm/mnk
    • rdm/blm
    • rdm/whm
    • rdm/nin
    • rdm/drg
    • rdm/sam
    • rdm/dkn
    • rdm/pal

or any of that switched around whatever u likeimage

• LIt4g0LIt4g0 Member Posts: 23

Okay Thanks :D

• SuliSuli Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Goshin

You can use any combination you want its up to up like if you want pow have war or mnk as sub or main int/magic blm/whm agi/skill thf/nin or any other
    ill give u a little list:

rdm/war
    rdm/mnk
    rdm/blm
    rdm/whm
    rdm/nin
    rdm/drg
    rdm/sam
    rdm/dkn
    rdm/pal
    or any of that switched around whatever u likeimage

yeah, thats just wrong...you probably shouldnt give advice if you dont know what youre talking about man -.-

anyway, to answer the original question there are only 6 decent-good combos with rdm as your main and they are:

• rdm/blm - most popular, better damage dealer, helps accuracy of some enfeeble spells..
    • rdm/whm - better for healing, helps accuracy of MND-based enfeeble spells..
    • rdm/smn - huge MP-boost, and very nice auto-refresh ability when rdm is lvl 50...
    • rdm/brd - once you have Refresh and Mage's Ballad you'll be a parties best friend..
    • rdm/nin - mostly for soloing, but if in a party you should have best weapons you can hold..
    • rdm/war - still in theory, but some say this makes a very good tank after rdm is 33 and has the spell Phalanx..

rdm's are mages, remember that...you will never be a big damage dealer in parties it doesn't matter what you sub.....also, rdms are the second best soloing job in the game...a rdm/nin lvl 74+ can take on almost anything =)

if youre thinking drg remember this, drg early on is easy to find parties with but as your lvl gets higher parties are increasingly harder to find....rdm is the opposite...sucks early to find parties but once you hit 41 you can easily get parties all the way to 75...so if youre 20 right now you're half way to quick invites ^^

gl and i hope this helped you out man!

EDIT: didn't remember your last question...for armor that's more your call...if you sub /war of course have the best defensive armor you can get and try for +VIT gear....if you are sub /blm /whm /smn or /brd go for mage armor +INT and +MND.....if you venture out and attempt to be a semi-damage dealer with /NIN i would go for alot of +DEX and +Accuracy gear...again gl and keep at it ~.^

• LIt4g0LIt4g0 Member Posts: 23

Thanks man :D
    U really gave me some good advice!

Server: Ragnarok
    Name: Chrystall
    Job/lvl: rdm/blm lvl 20/10

• XoGaNXoGaN Member Posts: 12
    How much does this game cost a month?image
  • SuliSuli Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by LIt4g0

Thanks man :D
    U really gave me some good advice!

Server: Ragnarok
    Name: Chrystall
    Job/lvl: rdm/blm lvl 20/10

no problem at all if you have other questions post em here and ill try to answer them for you ~.^

and i think its like $13.00/mnth for 1 character $1.00/mnth for each additional character...but seeing as addiditional characters are needed as Mules(extra space) you might as well say $14-15 per mnth =)

• DariusDarius Member Posts: 8

RDM/WAR is not a good combo, no matter what anyone says. NO ONE will invite a RDM to tank, its unheard of.

Stick to mage subs for partying, or NIN sub for soloing.

(I am an experienced player with 2 jobs almost 75, I do know what im talking about)

==================
    Signature indeed.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

Call me old fashioned but if I'm in pt I just want my RDM to sit back and throw a few enfebs, keep dispel on the mob, refresh the PLD, WHM, BLM, etc and lob a few back up heals where the pt needs it.  That's about it.  RDM is one of those jobs where noobs are slacking with their subs.  It's soley because RDM is a high demand job.  Here's a little story...

I was in a newly formed pick up pt one time (level 47-48 or so)  Before we leave jeuno I'm looking over the list of the pt for jobs and levels and notice the RDM.  At the time I was thinking he had THF subbed because he was farming or something.  Then he asks the pt "Hey guys should I sub THF or RNG?"  Again, I still haven't caught on and I figured he was kidding.  So then he's taking a long time at AH and going on and on which arrows would do the most damage, blah blah blah.  I check the list and see he has subbed RNG and was serious!.  So I tactfully ask him what he has leveled and what he normally subs to RDM for exp pts.  His BLM was like level 8 and his WHM was around level 6.  Nice huh?

This is just an example of a player who is just a slacker that serious players have to carry.  I'm sure you all have you own stories about gimped subs or bad subs.  You would think a person as far as near 50 would have more of a clue.  Then again he probably has a clue but he just doesn't care simply because suckers like us need Refresh. 

Sorry I went off on a rant.  I guess my point originally is:   If you play RDM have a decent sub and make sure it's leveled.  "Decent" meaning it will benefit your pt as in more mana pool or better sticking enfebs, more healing, etc etc. 

Good luck with your RDM.

• CelebrindorCelebrindor Member Posts: 21

I know this is an old thread, but I had to reply-

In a party, NEVER NEVER NEVER sub a melee or tank job.  We are mages.  Just because we wear better armor and can carry a sword doesn't mean you're not a mage.  You're a mage who, in the right conditions, can deal great damage as well as enfeeble, heal, and nuke.

okay okay, you all are getting ready to flame the newbie about meleeing rdms- hear me out.

With a high (or better, capped) sword/dagger skill, and an en- spell that either a)matches the day or b)hits on a mob's elemental weakness, we RDMs can do great damage, esp. if the RDM is Hume or Elvaan (I won't discuss Galkan RDMs here, although I have met one or two with AF that have given me guidance).  Taru RDMs, esp as levels advance (again, as I've been told, only 31 right now) do run a risk with AoE spells by meleeing.  And because we have that armor, if we take hate for a bit, we're fine.  Add in the fact that en- spells don't add to a monster's TP, and its a great combo.  In fact, once you're spell casting stats are really high, take a dagger with an insanely low delay and just live off the en-spell damage.  Its free, MP wise, and who's gonna turn down free damage?

As for subbing a melee to do this- just...don't.  You're lowering your magic stats, so your en-spells hit for less.  In an emergency situation, your heals won't be as effective.  And your magic bursts won't be worth the MP they take to cast.  Not to mention the obvious gimping of your MP.  If you constantly make sure that your melee SKILLS are high, you'll do plenty of damage with a mage job subbed.  Which leaves only one question- which one?

RDM/WHM- yes, your healing is better.  Did you also know that this results in a SLIGHT rise in melee damage compared to the other mage subs for RDM?  I've found that I get more parties early on with the WHM sub due to low level ppls misunderstanding of the RDM role and think we can main heal (which we can, with great equip and I reccomend some food)

RDM/BLM- The most common due to the MP boost, the increase of INT for magic burst, and spells like Warp, Aspir, and Drain....all great for soloing and partying (ok Warp probably not lol).  I am currently leveling BLM to switch as my sub once I hit 35-38ish.  You will have slightly less HP than a WHM sub, and your melee damage will SLIGHTLY be less, almost not noticable but there.

RDM/SMN- the best for MP.  Plus you get auto-refresh at 50 (as mentioned) which is great when you become the life-blood of parties later on (again, as I've been told, and research, not personal experience)

RDM/BRD- not enough knowledge of this combo- but you should be the ultimate buffer/debuffer with this setup.  Maybe others have more knowledge?

I chose RDM for a couple reasons.  One, I like a bit of everything.  Two, the ability to solo later in game.  Three, we can do something no one else can....we can extend chains with proper mp usage.  I can' t tell you the number of times I've told the WHM in parties to rest out this one for that chain4 kill to keep it going, then kill my MP while they rest, and they're ready for the next battle.  Same goes for the BLM to speed up kills while they get some mp.  Of course, once refresh is in the picture, things change, but this is just the opinion of a recent resident to vana'diel, and a young rdm as I am.

Thoughts? Insults? Comments?

Server: Pandemonium
    Race: Hume
    Jobs: 60RDM,33WHM,32BLM

• DraconixDraconix Member UncommonPosts: 17

I'm a paladin and there have been many times where I have been in grave danger because the rdm wanted to melee and didnt want to heal. I hate to say it but RDM's are the backup for whm's next to blm of course but if your going to be in a party use a whm or blm sub or smn even. If you wanna do somethings solo a great combo is a rdm/nin or rdm/war

• CelebrindorCelebrindor Member Posts: 21

See, this is a perfect example of bad RDMs setting a bad example for other good Red Mages. You of course cannot ignore your casting responsibilities in a party- if the party only wanted a melee well they would have taken a RNG instead of a RDM! A good Red Mage can keep up the debuffs, Refreshes, Dispels and backup heal while meleeing usually well into the upper levels. I know there are some situations that I've been told about in the high end of the game where RDMs, no matter how well equipped or how much their stats are boosted simply cannot effectively melee any more. But while you are maintaining your melee skills and you can essentially get free damage, take it! But for heaven's sake keep up your responsibilities!

A bad Red Mage, in my book, does one of two common things- 1) "I have a sword, so lemme whack away while nuking the crap outta the enemy" Then their whm probably dies because they had to spam so many cures at the tank b/c the white mage didn't get help. Or 2) "I'm a mage, I stay out of trouble and cast spells!" We get armor, and a sword. If you want to be a pure caster, play a different mage class. You really do have to balance it all as a Red Mage.

If you are doing one OR the other, you're incomplete in my book. You must do both, with a primary focus on the debuffs and healing, then refresh, then timing magic bursts. The melee damage is simply gravy, not the meal.

Oh- and in exp parties always bring a mage sub! We already get less MP than WHM, BLM, or SMN. No need to cut it down more while in a pt.

Server: Pandemonium
    Race: Hume
    Jobs: 60RDM,33WHM,32BLM

• aaronmanzeroaaronmanzero Member Posts: 75
    is it to late in the game to join in or would it be better to just find a big guild?