Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Bioware announced today that TOR was to be B2P

2»

Comments

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I just don't like cash shops.

I prefer knowing that after paying I've gotten the whole game, that everyone I'm playing with is on the same footing and that I can just relax and not have to think about real life things like money while I play. But thats just me.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Wepsy

Originally posted by fcazares

I'm acutally hoping for a lifetime sub option =).

Same here, I'd buy a lifetime sub due to, well Iets say from what i've seenso far i'd go lifetime sub.

Not to forget the collectors edition at say £60 odd. I'm sold.  Are you ?

I am definately getting the Collectors Edition of the game. Not sure about lifetime sub though. But I am really excited for this game.

In Bioware we trust!

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Not going to happen, even hypothetically. Simplest reason of all. Someone has to pay to keep the servers up and running. Money just doesn't fall out of the sky in the real world.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by whilan

Most MMOs now a days have a cash shop of some sort.  I'd prefer all the content to be in game of course, but it's simply not heading in that direction.  With the inclusion of EQ2 and WoW both having cash shops and a sub.  We are going to see more of this as time goes by.  The only way to stop it would be for everyone to boycott MMOs.

/shrug I just don't buy double dip (well, triple dip really, what with box cost, sub and CS) games.

the devs need to choose a rev model imo and stick  with it... sub, F2P, or B2P... this trying to heap all of them into one game just stinks of greed and profiteering to me.

Its probably the major reason I am not a SOE customer tbh and I can't see EA's shop being any more reasonable (based on how they charge for content for the Sims etc).

I will probably walk by SW for exactly the same reason I did DCUO, which is a shame.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Erstok

Not going to happen, even hypothetically. Simplest reason of all. Someone has to pay to keep the servers up and running. Money just doesn't fall out of the sky in the real world.

Yet somehow the Arenanet feels they can do so with GW2, will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

I am indifferent, as long as the game isn't designed around a F2P model such as ROM (and we know it's not).

B2P wouldn't bother me, I'd still play it.

dg

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

I dont care what the payment model is for this game. They can make me pay in blood as far as im concerned. Im going to play this game so damn hard when it comes out, my computer is going to melt.

Originally posted by vesavius

Most MMOs now a days have a cash shop of some sort.  I'd prefer all the content to be in game of course, but it's simply not heading in that direction.  With the inclusion of EQ2 and WoW both having cash shops and a sub.  We are going to see more of this as time goes by.  The only way to stop it would be for everyone to boycott MMOs.

/shrug I just don't buy double dip (well, triple dip really, what with box cost, sub and CS) games.

the devs need to choose a rev model imo and stick  with it... sub, F2P, or B2P... this trying to heap all of them into one game just stinks of greed and profiteering to me.

Its probably the major reason I am not a SOE customer tbh and I can't see EA's shop being any more reasonable (based on how they charge for content for the Sims etc).

I will probably walk by SW for exactly the same reason I did DCUO, which is a shame.

SOE is horrible though, they use to put out an expansion like every 2-3 months instead of content updates when I played EQ2.

In Bioware we trust!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

My suggestion would be a wait and see approach, they haven't said the game would have a shop yet at all. Let alone if anything game breaking is included.  Closest that has been said to my knowledge is they are looking at all types.

It's likely but hasn't really been confirmed yet.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by Nazgol

SOE is horrible though, they use to put out an expansion like every 2-3 months instead of content updates when I played EQ2.

And EA are...?

(though you are incorrect in your statement here, 2-3 months? instead of updates? might wanna check those facts)

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I voted happy because I'm poor.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

And EA are...?

(though you are incorrect in your statement here, 2-3 months? instead of updates? might wanna check those facts)

Was an exaggeration, not fact heh. Just seemed like they released expansion and adventure packs every month.

In Bioware we trust!

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

I just think the title should be changed to just "hypothetical question"

I want to own property too

And EA are...?

Was an exaggeration, not fact heh. Just seemed like they released expansion and adventure packs every month.

Adventure packs havent been released in literally years as far as I am aware, and no, never nearly 'every month'.

But at least adventure packs were playable content to be experenced, learned, and beaten. They were actually great value for money in terms of what they offered (which is why SOE now prefer to sell EQ2 players a mount or new race for more or less the price of an entire expansion.. why spend money making actual gameplay when folks will stump up more for just a single model?).

EA will have this store packed like you have never seen imo, if Sims etc is anything to go by, full of instant rewards to buy that don't require any of that from you.

The fact that DA2 us launching with DLC available is also a very bad sign as to how the new Bioware is being handled imo... simplified games squeezed for every bean.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

And EA are...?

Adventure packs havent been released in literally years as far as I am aware, and no, never nearly 'every month'.

But at least adventure packs were playable content to be experenced, learned, and beaten. They were actually great value for money in terms of what they offered (which is why SOE now prefer to sell EQ2 players a mount or new race for more or less the price of an entire expansion.. why spend money making actual gameplay when folks will stump up more for just a single model?).

EA will have this store packed like you have never seen imo, if Sims etc is anything to go by, full of instant rewards to buy that don't require any of that from you.

The fact that DA2 us launching with DLC available is also a very bad sign as to how the new Bioware is being handled imo... simplified games squeezed for every bean.

DA2 isn't new with this. DA and ME2 were the same. If I remember people were making a stink about it when DA first came out. Bioware's reasoning/excuse was that they have different people working on different things. That and being able to produce new content between when the game went gold and release.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Paradigm68

I just don't like cash shops.

I prefer knowing that after paying I've gotten the whole game, that everyone I'm playing with is on the same footing and that I can just relax and not have to think about real life things like money while I play. But thats just me.

I have to agree with you here Paradigm68.  I hate Cash Shops as well.  After buying the game and paying a monthly subscription, I don't think it is right to have to pay ANY additional costs for the game.  After all, if my subscription price is not paying for maintenance AND upgrades, then why should I give them more money to throw away.  Personally I would rather pay an extra dollar or two a month for my subscription than be forced to buy content in a Cash Shop.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I'm happy enough paying a subscription for as long as there is content and it is fun, and then, when it's done, I'm happy enough resubscribing as long as there is new content to explore and fun to be had.

As long as that keeps a functional cash shop out of the game. I am not tolerant of playing a game while there are legal means for someone else to just go and use his credit card instead of playing to progress faster proportionally to money spent. I spend time in games, money is a consequence. It shouldn't be the other way. Not to mention how NOT tangible virtual goods are, with arbitrary prices done by a developer monopoly which also can change the world to match how desirable they want their virtual goods to be.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Erstok

Unless you work for the government tbh. ;)

• metroiconmetroicon Member Posts: 5

If it was a F2P or a B2P I would not even consider playing it. All F2P and B2P are crap IMHO.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

I voted indifferent. I really don't care.

The way MMOs are these days, I see no difference in quality (take that how you want good or bad)

They all seem to have some kind of item mall selling something that makes someone better than you

They all have grindy quests that get on your nerves eventually

Someone with more time on their hands and money in their pockets will always be better than you

They all have stupid bugs, or exploits

They both have those less desirable community members who enjoy griefing people.

ect ect

In either case, you are never truly happy and will find something to bitch about eventually in either case

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

No offense, but this is a pointless hypothetical, since a subscription based plan is already confirmed.  It will not be B2P.

I haven't been following GW2, but isn't that going to have a cash shop?

Edit:  I actually prefer a subscription model after seeing the severe decline of LotRO's community with their hybrid model.  If $15 a month keeps out a significant number of people that make accounts solely to a jackholes, it's a small price to pay.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by cinos

Hypothetical scenario and NOT to be confused with F2P.

When I say B2P I mean you pay for the game and every subsequent major expansion instead of a monthly sub.

Also assume that this model will include a cash shop, but the only things available are purely cosmetic.

So with all this in mind, how would you feel about seeing an announcement like this? Would you prefer it or not?

No agenda other than plain curiosity. :)

I am sorry but this is just stupid and a little irrelevant. Curiosity could kill the genre not sure you have thought this out at all.

Happy to pay for additional content rather than have no additional, even happy to [ay increased subs if it keeps the unemployed and homeless out.

This game is subscription based.

I think we should start a thread assuming that the IP will no longer be Star Wars , makes sense for a laugh right !!!!!

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

I enjoy B2P and for some games it just makes sense.

The only thing that would make me skeptical in such news would be the fact that EA would be handling the microtransactions to make a profit.

Quite frankly the King doesn't sit well with that notion.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Isane

Hypothetical scenario and NOT to be confused with F2P.

When I say B2P I mean you pay for the game and every subsequent major expansion instead of a monthly sub.

Also assume that this model will include a cash shop, but the only things available are purely cosmetic.

So with all this in mind, how would you feel about seeing an announcement like this? Would you prefer it or not?

No agenda other than plain curiosity. :)

I am sorry but this is just stupid and a little irrelevant. Curiosity could kill the genre not sure you have thought this out at all.

Happy to pay for additional content rather than have no additional, even happy to [ay increased subs if it keeps the unemployed and homeless out.

This game is subscription based.

I think we should start a thread assuming that the IP will no longer be Star Wars , makes sense for a laugh right !!!!!

Go ahead. No one's stopping you.

If you don't understand the words 'if' and 'hypothetical' then it's not my fault that you feel this thread is irrelevant. For me, I have found this thread quite interesting and worth the time making it.

Also, I fail to see how a simple thread like this could bring down the whole mmo genre, so please explain that one. I'm sure it will be a good read. :)

Maybe Interesting but Irrelevant and for anyone who understands , I am sure you could come up with something that may ever have a chance of happening other than something that wont the payment method has been announced.