Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Investigation team thinks im selling my account!

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Right so I just got an email from blizz that my account mayhave been compromised and stuff...Now the weird thing is...I havent played WoW since TBC and that was whaat....2 computers ago o.O i just got the email 3 days ago on my old email and im just like 'wtf? o.O'

o.o

So anyone think thisis weird?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

It's a fake EMail. Don't touch any links in it. Delete ALL Blizzard EMails you get. trust me.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Pishing e-mails are often known to cause confusion when you don't recognize what they are.

It's a scam, not from Blizzard.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Okay..Wait how did they even get my email o.O

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Only Blizzard knows!

Honestly.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

because srsly...The only sites I went to that time was onemanga(now closed *sniffles), forums.wow-europe.com, and umm...fanfiction.net o.O

( o.o)
    (")(")

TBH when my account was hacked along with my Email account it was because of a keylogger downloaded from a torrent, not from security lapses on Blizzs' end. But MAAAAAANNNNNNYYYYYYY people blame Blizz/BNet for their Email accounts getting flooded with phishing attempts.

EDIT: Oh yeah you might want to change your Email password just in case.

• MalteseMaltese Member Posts: 60

Then there you already have at least two possible sources for your email. They also could have gotten it directly from your email-provider, seems as likely as anything, cutting the middle-man and going straight to the source.

They send out phishing mails blind and by the cartload, and why not? It costs them nothing to do so, and even if only one in a thousand of those who receive them has an actual WoW-account and is enough of a mug to accept the fake as genuine and uses the link they so conveniently provide in their mail, they rake in pure win. Hell, it 's probably still a profitable racket if it's one in ten thousand.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I would say

1. Email if you list your website on any blog.

2. If you used any addon at all, they have loggers which send out information Curse has this problem with one of my curse addons it had a wow keylogger, which is why its best if you have an authinticator, of course I dont know exactly which one it was.

3. If you have ever purchased gold, or someone selling your information.

Do not reply, or even click the links because if you do they will take your account, and if you already have just hope they have not done anything yet and quickly change your info.

Also if you are in doubt that it was Blizzard I would call them, or check and see if your account is actually suspended from their site.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

OP, I get those emails all the time on accounts that have never been linked to any game. As has been said above it's mass sending to a harvested list and hoping to catch enough people out to make it worth their while.

If you want to check on the status of your old WoW accont, do it through typing the battlenet url in to your address bar - never by clicking on links in a mail.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

There are widespread phishing emails going around. Please see these two stickied threads at the top of the forum for more. Going to close this up, but feel free to post in those threads if you need further info.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/15/view/forums/thread/267637/READ-FIRST-Phishing-emails.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/15/view/forums/thread/288999/Official-My-account-has-been-compromised-Thread.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.