Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy...A dead franchise?

2»

Comments

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

I hope the franchise dies a slow painfull death with no chance of coming back. I know it won't happen though.

I have played almost all of the FF games, even the ones from Japan. Way back in  the day with the first FF the series was great, now it seems they can put Final Fantasy on anything and try to sell it. I am very dissapointed in the past few games in the series and I will never buy another SE game ever.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Imo, this is about SE as a company, not just about the FF games.

Earlier, I bought just about anything from SE, knowing I would be satisfied. But the last few years, just about everything they've released, have been crap. I'm not saying I'm not buying their games anymore, but I'll never spend a dime on any of their games without trying it first.

For me, the FF franchise, at it's current state, is dead.

• mulcebarmulcebar Member Posts: 24

11 and 14 are kind of in a different realm being MMORPGS. The single player final fantasy rpgs used to be like reading a novel. they had great epic narrative that along with all the classic japanese rpg mechanics made for some of the best gaming experiences ever.

The last FF game I loved was 10, after that they started to go off the rails, probably because key people were no longer involved in the development. I didnt enjoy 12. I was so looking forward to 13 that when it came out as this intolerably linear completely stripped down game I was just utterly dissapointed. I have totally lost faith in the franchise after FF13 but that wont stop me trying out the next game. there are alot of different creative teams that work on each title and one day there will be another great final fantasy Im sure.

I just hope that the current trend toward making the game less RPG and more linear action game is thrown out in favour of an old school revival. If Square enix wants to get some western influence they should look to the great western RPGs makers like bethesda and bioware rather than trying to mix in some casual action game mechanics. i say they should make some big console remakes like they do with every other franchise. i dont care how un-original it would be I'd die to play a PS3 version of FF7.

• MsFairviewMsFairview Member Posts: 28

I think anyone coming to FFXI or FFXIV expecting it to be like the offline versions should get their brains checked. :)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by MsFairview

I think anyone coming to FFXI or FFXIV expecting it to be like the offline versions should get their brains checked. :)

Or similar to any other MMO, they are very different and that is a very good thing.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I have been a Final Fantasy fan forever okay since FFVII .Well I was busy before that having babies and working my tush off before that so I was completely ignorant of the other FF titles but promptly acquainted myself of said titles once FF7 blew me away. Final Fantasy fans are not fair weather friends we will endure and we will look forward to future console titles and enjoy them I loved FFXI btw.

Chamber of Chains
  • MsFairviewMsFairview Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Khrymson

Or similar to any other MMO, they are very different and that is a very good thing.

I agree.  I think a lot of those walk into the game expecting it to be a clone of the specific game they like.  My advice: Go play the game you like. :p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

FF is not dead but it isn't well either. After FF VII have every game been worse than the one before it.

They need a new FF VII and soon or the game will actually die.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by DLangley

Lets get back on topic. The out of line comment has been removed. Thanks ;).

I think it's funny that extreme "fanboys" comments may remain.  Like the game is so great because it is! AHHHHHHH.  Just spouting compliments without any reasoning or rhyme at all.

However if someone does this in the opposing direction, he is a troll.  It's the same exact thing, just in opposing directions.  Can we ban extreme fanboys for badgering a negative response as well?  Because they are.....

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

This thread made me laugh! Ah thank you for that!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Khrymson

I agree.  I think a lot of those walk into the game expecting it to be a clone of the specific game they like.  My advice: Go play the game you like. :p

No they aren't.

Most games have LAN versions built in designed to be played multi person. Freelancer is the best example of a single player game that went MMO on its own.

That said, find me a copy of FF7 for the PC (not a hacked .rar version) and I'd be happy to buy it. For some reason Square Enix doesnt sell them.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Originally posted by free2play

No they aren't.

Most games have LAN versions built in designed to be played multi person. Freelancer is the best example of a single player game that went MMO on its own.

That said, find me a copy of FF7 for the PC (not a hacked .rar version) and I'd be happy to buy it. For some reason Square Enix doesnt sell them.

The pc version of FFVII was published by Eidos and now this is a discontinued product. Still you can buy it on ebay or else.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by free2play

Rather easy to locate, but not very cheap either:

$40+ @eBay

$57+ @Amazon

And it makes sense why SE doesn't sell the PC ver anymore {its old for one}, and FFVII is readily available in many other systems/formats and plays much better.  I thought the PC ver wasn't very good...

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'm sorry, but if you think FFXIV's failure is enough to sink a compony as large as SquareEnix, you should go take some business and finance courses at your local CC. Although the series isn't as legendary as it used to be, it's still very, very successful. Most companies would love to have 'failures' like FFXIII. The game requred around 40 million to make, but sold almost 6 million copies. I'll leave the math to you.

Whether FFXIV becomes a stain on their record depends entirely on how they fix its issues over the course of the next ten months. FFXI had a very rocky start as well, but quickly grew into the game it is today (which has had one of the most stable subscriber counts in the industry).

<3

• IkkeiIkkei Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by GTwander

I think the fact of the matter is that FF stories were never all that reality-shattering to begin with. It was just on a platform that had quaint graphics on top of an average to above-average story, so it worked. Now add the fact that you aren't kids anymore, your tastes have changed, and while the tech and look of the franchise has gotten better - the plot hasn't. Shit, the gameplay hasn't even really changed, but that's the biggest complaint these days - it's like you're all saying it's not as good as it used to be, but how it used to be won't even cut it anymore.

I think that SE basically "dumbed down" and at the same time "poetized" the FF spirit to such an extent that it became an abstract pile of unmeaningful bits. That must have happened somewhere between FF8 and FF10. Stories have no consistency, the meaning of concepts and events feel vague (not to say void), characters are often shallow and cliché. I've seen 10 years old laughing at stupid dialogs in front of FF10 or FF13--lame, unrealistic, series of pretentious overstatements that used to be reserved to Dragon Ball vilains. Such is the japanese culture at work in all its superficiality, but I was baffled at FF becoming like that. The 1990's FFs did not set that trend. Then again, Sakaguchi was there at the time.

FF6 had the most depth for sure, but it also had 20+ characters to deal with. FF7 was amazing for sure, but really, the plot wasn't all that good, and most people see it as a milestone for the jump from one platform to the next. The best thing about FFX was the twist at the end, because happy endings are for suckas, but beyond that, the game wasn't all that memorable beyond the advances in tech (graphics, cutscenes using in-game models, etc). The franchise overall hasn't changed much in terms of writing, but *you*, the players, have. Welcome to adulthood, pick up a Twilight novel or something now...

I have to agree on FF6: easily in my top10 scenarii of all times, movies and books included. And I'm just not a fantasy fan by all means, you won't find LOTR in that top10, nor Star Wars FF for that matter (hello clichés). FF is the exception to my tastes, and I think it may be because of the 6th. I believe its story and characters would make a great series/movies/book/whatever.

I was only 15 when FF7 came out, but already it felt like an artistic regression to me, considering that better graphics weren't everything (by far, I never fell for graphics) and actually quite "normal" on this piece of genious that the PlayStation was. That's how I enjoyed FF7's scenario a bit less than the 6's and its prodigious faustian depth. The 7's combat system however may be the best ever in a Final Fantasy title (I dare ask: best combat system in a RPG title?), for three reasons: materias, limits and invocations.

If you ask me, I'd say that FF needs some western hands on it in terms of writing and design. Would definitely make it more pallatable, but then the eastern audience would be in a nationalist uproar about it being too 'dark' and having a distinct lack of the goofy heroine.

I agree there too. International cooperation is the way I believe. Not just a few westerners trying desperately to give a handful of advice to a relunctant national team, I'm talking joint-ventures, mixed studios, breaking up teams and forming new ones, hiring a lot of new faces to freshen up the old beast. I'm sure there are many FF fans who are talented lead designers as of today and able to make FF15 or 16 one of the greatest RPG of its time. Because the series has the potential if it rises to its initial promises: and that was before 3D in my opinion. I'm sad to realize that's a decade of failing to live up to FF expectations.

During that time I fell in love with (just for those I think of as I write this) Deus Ex, Mass Effect 2, or even WoW (we divorced and have casual relationships once in a a while, I am now decursed, ty). Each in their own way, they were better "role playing material" for me than FF opuses released during that time. I played all of'em, I know what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same about FF15. As of today, burnt as they burnt me, I'll only play SE's FF15 if user ratings on metacritic are no less than excellent.

So is the FF franchise dead? No. I believe they have one last shot (FF15, or maybe 13-2) to make it right. That will be the difference between mainstream success and fans respect. Let me put it another way: sure, Star Wars isn't dead, but do we really want to consider Episodes I-III? I hate to think it's very possible FF may keep on living in such a questionable way. However just like Lucas, I don't doubt SE wil make money in all cases. FF is there guys. It won't go away.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

http://www.joshuakennon.com/mistwalker-studios-might-just-eclipse-square-enix/

The franchise is down but not out...but its obvious the should have kept Sakaguchi around, or at least let him take his beloved FF with him. Somehow Square-Enix needs at try to re-capture the characters and feel that he does.

• IkkeiIkkei Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by merv808

http://www.joshuakennon.com/mistwalker-studios-might-just-eclipse-square-enix/

The franchise is down but not out...but its obvious the should have kept Sakaguchi around, or at least let him take his beloved FF with him. Somehow Square-Enix needs at try to re-capture the characters and feel that he does.

Exactly. The post you linked was a very good read too, I do feel the same way. Let's look away from SE (I believe they need time, anyway...) and focus our attention on Mistwalker Studios and Sakaguchi. : )

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The last FF game I completed was 10, and have sort of lost interest in the franchise overall. I think it would be hella badass if they made a current gen chrono trigger though.