Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve Online: Sansha Incursions

mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Ok so I went looking for the dirt on this last night after work.     The starmap lets you toggle incursion status on the systems, so it was pretty easy to find where it was happening.      I was in Hek and there was a system 3 jumps away with active incursion status.    (I don't remember the name of the system, as I just set destination and headed there out of excitement.)  -  

When I arrived in the system, local was lit up with LFG/LFM chat, and this was very unusual, yet refreshing to say the least.    So, I asked what ship would be best to bring, and everyone who responded basically told me to fit up a tanked BS or BC.   So, I went back to Hek, dusted off my dominix with an 'ok' 80k hp buffer tank and went back to join the fun.    Went I arrived in system, I immediately got fleet invited from someone at the arrival gate.    When I joined the fleet and the fleet channel opened, I saw a bunch of angry capsuleers complaining about the ships they'd lost.       I tried to sift through the frustrated chat log to find some actual facts to see what happened.    It was hectic, in that chat window... so I asked someone to open a private convo w/ me to explain what happened.

Someone did, and explained that 10 of them lost their fully tanked battleships within 5-6 seconds of arriving the incursion battle.     I didn't believe this, but then I was linked a screenshot.   

There must have been over 50 Sansha battleships in the overview of this screenshot, and all of them were simultaniously firing at a single target.        I can imagine it went *poof* after the screenshot was taken, and I can further imagine something similar happening to every ship that arrived.  

Afterwards, I simply disbanded, as I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to lose my domi over pure curiousity.    I then noticed an Incursion channel that was open since I was in an active system.   I started to talk to the people in there to see if there were any better experiences.       Sad to say, all were reporting similar cases.    People losing 60k-120k hp battleships within seconds.     Considering I haven't heard of any special rewards or comps, none of it seems hardly worth it.

So.... What's up with this?   Are there different levels of difficulty of these incursions?   What are people doing wrong?  I thought there were going to be incursions easy enough for 1-4 man fleets?      What are the rewards?   I checked the incursion tab in my journal and it wasn't much help. Just seemed like a bunch of lore.  Are there agents for it?   

I'm very patient when it comes to EVE, so if I've missed something, please let me know or direct me to a good source of info on the sansha invasions, because as it stands now, I don't think I will be risking any ship that is required to run them.

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Welcome to blob warfare.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Not sure why you're wasting your time with garbage content.

To each their own I guess.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by Gdemami

Welcome to blob warfare.

You know, I was affraid to say it, because I didn't want to seem like i was judging from just a screenshot or something, but yeah... I get the impression it's just overexadurated pve style mob warfare...   I hope that's not all there is to offer, because I was *kind of* looking forward to some decent new PVE content.   

I no longer operate in large alliances/corps simply because I hate the blob style battles.    Taking down a POS is boring too...

I like small skirmish or wolf pack pvp, and I still have that, so I'm not terribly bummed.  

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

Originally posted by Hekket

Not sure why you're wasting your time with garbage content.

To each their own I guess.

Hey, gotta try it before I knock it I suppose.  ;-)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by mm0wiggins You know, I was affraid to say it, because I didn't want to seem like i was judging from just a screenshot or something, but yeah... I get the impression it's just overexadurated pve style mob warfare...   I hope that's not all there is to offer, because I was *kind of* looking forward to some decent new PVE content.   
    I no longer operate in large alliances/corps simply because I hate the blob style battles.    Taking down a POS is boring too...
    I like small skirmish or wolf pack pvp, and I still have that, so I'm not terribly bummed.  

Check your Journal, Encounters tab to figure out more about Incursion types. All incursions are doable comfortably within projected fleet size. Some people soloed Vanguard sites, I think.

I am not sure what you were expecting, it is just same old PVE. The glorified AI is just a marketing gimmick CCP can brag about as it just naturally follows the game mechanics leading to not so much glorified blobs.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Here's some links I had handy:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/11/21/eve-evolved-preparing-for-incursion/

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=819

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Incursion

http://eve-search.com/thread/1456683

Thanks for this.  It was helpful indeed.     And I did find the site info in the journal now, so that also helps.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with many that this all seems like a gimmic, really....   I dunno.  I guess that's kind of a broad statement to offer without reason, but I don't know where to begin in terms of all the things I see wrong with this incursion guff.

I will try again tonight on the vanguard sites, but i still don't feel like it's very lucrative if the ship loss ratio is so high.  25mill payout sounds great if it didn't require 5-10 people risking their 1-3 billion in accumulated worth of ships to gain the reward.     I know it's hard to figure out a fair risk/reward plan, but come on...  How many people does CCP think have access to the orginization of 30-40 people to fight a blob battle where everyone gets 1-shotted?

I know there's plenty of alliances/corps out there with dedicated fleet pilots but it just doesn't seem like most Eve players (esp the ones I've known for years in game) are that interested or that ballsy.     

Please keep the thread going: I want to hear from those of you who have successfully completed the tasks and taken influencve away.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Actually, the one thing ccp did right with incursions..

We just used bog standard buffer tank and logistic support fleet fits. Works fine, just needs a few ships to kill the small stuff (loki+hurricane is enough).

The medium difficulty sites with 26m + 5k lp reward are perfectly doable and we actually accidentally had too few people and got less payout that way. We were just a random assortment of people who loosely know each other from shc/irc, so...dedicated corps can probably be a lot better at this.

However, obviously, most of us have lowsec/0.0 experience in small gang warfare. Didn't have to adapt much, honestly.

//edith: Our fleet was equipped with the following:

initially 6, then 5 guardians
    one oneiros with tracking links
    a few abaddons with tachyons and a buffer tank
    a few tempests (one fleet tempest with mwd+ac) with buffer armor tank
    a loki or two
    had a hurricane once too

That was basically it. Some other random ships joined and left (like a scorp that probably wasn't tanked correctly and died without saying a word..was our only casualty)
    Gang never exceeded 20.

A battlereport is here

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

How are the gates?  Do the Sansha kill randoms at the gates at all?

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Actually, the one thing ccp did right with incursions..

We just used bog standard buffer tank and logistic support fleet fits. Works fine, just needs a few ships to kill the small stuff (loki+hurricane is enough).

The medium difficulty sites with 26m + 5k lp reward are perfectly doable and we actually accidentally had too few people and got less payout that way. We were just a random assortment of people who loosely know each other from shc/irc, so...dedicated corps can probably be a lot better at this.

However, obviously, most of us have lowsec/0.0 experience in small gang warfare. Didn't have to adapt much, honestly.

Cool beans. Sounds like you didn't have nearly the bad experience that I hear about from everyone else in-game.

So, let me ask you...  Considering you have lowsec/nullsec experience, and an available wolfpack, obviously... do you find the time/risk/reward worthwhile?  I mean... needing 5-10 ships i assume it's not done quickly.  So, compared to say, lvl4 missions solo, or combat sites/DEDs, Is it more or less lucrative?      I can't get it out my head that I would rather spend the time doing something easier for the ISK that doesn't 'require' a fleet.

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    How are the gates?  Do the Sansha kill randoms at the gates at all?

Oh yes, yes they do.

:3

(not that strong in highsec, but i wouldn't autopilot a hauler through it..)

Originally posted by mm0wiggins
    So, let me ask you...  Considering you have lowsec/nullsec experience, and an available wolfpack, obviously... do you find the time/risk/reward worthwhile?

Considering that I had to travel 25 jumps to get there, meet up with some guys, spend time exchanging fits and spamming fleetchat with fukung links, nah. But it was kinda fun meeting up with people who i'm normally not having much reason to fly with or who are actually red to me.

As for isk/h..dunno, way too early to say. It was somewhat like wormholes light without having to spam the scanner every two seconds. The payout in c4-c5 sleeper sites is obviously several times better, but w-space is :effort:

Oh and

Oh yes, yes they do.
    :3(not that strong in highsec, but i wouldn't autopilot a hauler through it..)

I do not think there are any rats at high sec gates and Sanshas at high sec belts do not agro.

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

Oh and

Ha ha, that's the funnies thing I've seen on this entire site!  xD  It sums it all up perfectly too.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

My favorite patch note from Incursion:

Exploration & Deadspace

• Wormholes will no longer bump you when you are on top of them. Minds out of the gutter, capsuleers!

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei